ORVG #194 Early summer crazy

Waddy, KY

I thought maybe it was time for a new thread.

We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248598/

The kids got most of the onions and beets weeded yesterday, plus got the peas mowed off. Funny, while they were cleaning things up my brother came up and asked if we were going to plant anything in the spot where the peas were. Now he just told me last week that I could have ground in his part of the garden because I needed some more room and now he wants part of mine? And he's got open ground not 50 ft. away? I'll never understand my siblings....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, for goodness sakes. Where have I been? Didn't even know this thread (last one) was around!!!

Good morning. Hope everyone is feeling fine today!

Waddy, KY

Time flies doesn't it?

Has anyone heard anything out of Teresa lately? I'm hoping that her parents or sister aren't having problems.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just checked Teresa's facebook page because we are friends there. Her father passed away. :( I left her a message there.

Teresa, again, I'm so sorry to hear about your father.

Waddy, KY

Duh. I should have checked there. I surely missed that. Thanks Chele.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Teresa's dad passed away. Teresa if you check in, you have my sympathy and condolences. It is a tough thing to have to face.

Back from the grocery, still have a little bit of energy, but not much. Yep it was crowded, but we soldiered through it. Almost fell going down the walk to the car this morning. DH left the garden hose laying on the sidewalk, and I stepped on it and twisted my ankle. No damage done to the ankle, but I thought sure I was a goner. That sure would have ended my day before it even started.

DH told me last night that something was eating on my knock out roses. Went to Walmart and got some Bayer spray, so hoping that whatever it is is dispatched really soon. I have already been out and sprayed my three. Oh, forgot the rose out back so need to check on that one. I haven't seen any Japanese beetles yet,so don't have a clue what is munching on them.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hope you knocked on wood when you said that, Bonnie....(pun intended!) Glad you're feeling better. Scared the socks off me when you said you turned your ankle..I've been worried all Spring that I'll rebreak my bones!

good to have you back Cookie
Bonnie glad your feeling better.
sending deepest sympathys to Theresa's family for their loss.
starting to bring all the plants to the house for easier watering. tired of hauling them 55 gal rain barrels ! and doing bucket by bucket to the greenhouse.
it will get to hot and not much air flow in the summer if there is no wind.

just a pic of the flowers at the memorial. i think its becoming an obsession ! ?

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Sue they are all beautiful. So what if it is an obsession, I could think of worse things.

Waddy, KY

Funny, that's what I was thinking....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Me, too! You could try and reframe it as vitamins for the spirit, rather than an obsession. Your spirit needs x amount of vitamins right now-- might not need it as much in a month, or might need twce as much. But it's something that's good for you, not bad.

Pat

Janet, if you need extra garden space, DH has about a 1/2 acre all plowed and tilled, but he said that he is not planting anything else unless it is some later corn. Be a ways to go to tend a garden, but if it would spite the DB, then I would do it. What a piece of work he must be. Sorry, but to tell you could have the ground and then want to know if you are going to use it.

I skipped Bible Study again tonight. I am hoping that by the weekend I will feel up to starting back to church. I have missed a month, first with the surgery and then with the pneumonia. I had a couple of things cooked for supper and DGD's DM called and said that she had a Dr appointment tomorrow. She thought it was next week, so I ended up taking her to meet her DM and didn't have time to cook anything else when I got home, so that DH could make it to church on time. We won't starve until we get another meal though.

About time for me to head down the hall to bed. I am hoping that resting/sleeping well is still on my agenda.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all.
Sue...I agree with the others...it's whatever you need right now!
Bonnie...so glad you didnt break anything or fall!
Joyce...glad to see you back!
Teresa...you have my sympathy too...so sorry to hear.
Not sure what else I missed...but I did read it!!
Took another trip down to my old hometown of Bellbrook yesterday to pick up some more Horace Wright iris that Lynn got for me. She is the lady who owns the flower shop there.
She got me a Starchy Sue and a blue something...cant remember the name already..geesh!
The black wasnt available...but said she would be able to get me one later on.
I mainly wanted the one named Starchy Sue ..as she was my teacher in school.
I'm not even sure what color it is???? Duh.
Ok...have to run...get in the shower as hubby has to go to work today..and I am holding him up!!!!
Laterrrrr!!!!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to be back, too. Sue, it all looks beautiful. How's your trough doing? I forgot to send those bricks with you.

Bonnie, don't push it or you'll be back where you started!

Marcy, it was a beautiful day for a drive to Bellbrook. Can't believe the weather we've been having and believe me....I'm NOT complaining!

Cookie the trough is doing great ! would rather have it in a different area but there is to much sun for it :(
yes i guess your right. Vitamins for the soul ! i love it Pat thank you.
good weather here today.
worked tonight cleaned the office down the road from Jessica's apt where it all happened but every time it gets easier . didn't seem to bother me tonight ?
maybe cuz i have 3 houses tomorrow and i m not looking forward to doing 3 in a row . 7 hrs straight of cleaning houses ... yikes.
well i m tired
off to bed for me

Waddy, KY

Sue, if you'd like to clean another house, come on down. I suspect you could spend a week or two at this one!

Kate got a little of the daylilies mowed out yesterday and my yard at the house mowed. It's so nice to go out to get in the car in the morning and not have to goose step to keep your feet from getting wet in the tall grass. You folks in the city just don't understand how low on the totem pole mowing the yard is on a farm when the baler's broke, haybine's broke, garden needs weeding and planting and cows need to be worked. It and a snake has a lot in common.

I need to dig a few daylilies this evening for market tomorrow and then see if I can run the tiller over the ground I want to plant in pumpkins. It's supposed to rain the first of next week and I'm certainly looking forward to it. Keeps me from stringing water hoses. I probably should be watering blackberries right now.

Bonnie, I appreciate the offer of ground but as it is, my parents place is 22 miles from me. I'm trying to plant stuff down there that doesn't require every other day picking like beans and other stuff so I don't have to go down there so much. We'll see how that turns out. I assume that with you on the down list your DH has slowed down on his idea of doing a farmer's market this year?

Yes, that has definitely been put on hold. However, when I harvest the garlic I will definitely have to go try to sell some of that. Yikes, what was I thinking?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This Sunday is the Eastside Garden Tour.

http://www.gchostas.info/

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The fence is up. Being me, I can of course see the mistakes I made in the layout, but at the moment, I could care less. I'm just so happy it's done and in place. The very last thing they did was the roll top (scallop), which they marked by using a piece of flexible PVC pipe. It really made a wonderful difference visually. Less like prison, more like garden. The bad part was that they trampled up a chunk of garden, including 3 different varities of phlox, 2 different columbines, and an ornamental grass. I was ticked, & let them know about it. At first the boss took responsibility. Then he said I could hit him. Finally, when he came in to get paid, I told him it would take me $70.00 to replace the plants, & I was taking it off the top. He said he could live with that so that was that. Still made me mad, though. If they'd told me they needed me to move some plants, as I'd asked them on day one, it could have all been avoided!
I'll try & take some pictures tomorrow. It's a lotta fence!

Does anyone know of anyplace that has Strawberry Fields gomphrena? I had some last year but this year I can only find purple or white.

Pat

Pat glad the fence is up, and good for you to charge for the damaged/destroyed plants. That could have been avoided as you say, but most men probably don't know what some flowers look like, especially if it is not in full bloom.

Sigh, a garden tour, and there is not a chance in 1,000 that I would get to go. Would last about 1/2 hour if I did try it.

I read the paper, and drank coffee, showered and dressed and did a load of laundry today. My sum total of work for the entire day. I read and napped the afternoon away. DH came in about 4:30 and we decided to go out to eat. So glad as I didn't have anything thawed, and had no idea what I could cook for supper. I guess I am getting stronger, but it sure is slow.

DGD went home yesterday, as she had a Dr appointment. She has a double ear infection, probably from being in the pool on Sunday cleaning it. She will be back late Sunday afternoon or monday morning. She is taking me to two Dr appointments next week. One requires her to be on the interstate, and drive in Louisville. I am sure that it will be scary for her, but no better time to learn. She has her permit, so she has driven me everywhere I have needed to go. I didn't know it, but they have to keep a log of how many hours they drive, both for night and for day. So much has changed with the graduated driving license process. She is a good, careful driver, and I think she will have no problem when the time comes for her exam.

Well, need to start thinking about bed. Seems most of my time is consumed with sleep but I guess that is what it takes to heal and get stronger.

Good night folks.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pat I'm pretty sure I saw that Gomphrena last weekend at a shop.
I'll check.

Thumbnail by henryr10

Good morning, just stopping by to wish chele a very Happy Birthday today. May you do things that please only you today!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thought you might like to see 5 of my 7 DGDs.

Thumbnail by joycet
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Chele!

LOVELY shot Joyce!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Chele!

Happy grandaughters, Joyce!

Ric, if you find any strawberry fields, I'll get my passport for the east side renewed & come & get them.
I've firmly decided to start a new flowerbed so 1. I can see it, and 2. it can get more sun than the current "sun" bed gets. It's goin to be something like 15 ft. in diameter. Any idea how much dirt I need to get? Good thing I had a double gate built for just this eventuality, LOL.

Bonnie, so sorry it's taking so long to get your energy back. Think how long it might have taken if you were still smoking! Breathe deeply and try jigsaw puzzles is my best advice.

Josh called last night to tell me that their AC was broken. Called again today & had gotten it fixed-- just in time for the heat. Also that his next overseas trip will be either to Venice, Italy or someplace in Brazil! Must be nice.

Pat

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Beautiful grand kids Joyce!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy Birthday, Chele!
Wishing you many more.
Bernie

Waddy, KY

Happy B-day Chele. Hope its been full of love and laughter.

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Chele!!

Survived another day. Did more today than I have since I have been sick. I am slowly gaining strength. I am tired from all I have done,so heading down the hall to bed. Hope all have a restful night.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Chele, sorry I missed saying HB on your special day, hope it was spectacular!!!

Chelle happy birthday
pretty busy , trying to keep up and running
Bonnie hope you can get some energy back
Pat congrats on the fence
Cookie what a sexy bunch you all are !! LOL
Sure wish i could have done the garden tours. :( but duty calls
Hi Ester ((()))
Hi Bernie how is the farmers market doing ?
well today was hot !
got all the GH plants up to the house , much easier watering .
Hi to eveyone else
got to run

Hi! Went to church and Sunday school today, the first time in a month. DH went to Louisville to see his DS in the nursing home, but I had him drop me off at home. Just didn't think I needed to extend my day by doing that. Have rested, read and napped all afternoon.

Hope all had a beautiful day.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone!
Chele...happy belated birthday...I did wish you one on FB though...smiles!
Guess whattt????????? IT'S RAINING!!!! Wow do we ever need it! We haven't gotten nearly as much as you folks south of us. Think we have only had a tenth of an inch in the last 2-3 wks!!! I'm bout worn out from watering!
Went to that garden show Saturday past. Was a really nice show...as usual. Got several things....a really pretty daisy type hardy mum...bright yellow! Had never seen it before?
Got an old wicker chair to put into the garden. It's so rickity you cant sit in it...lol..but I do have a pot of flowers in it...and it didn't cost much. The guy probably thought I was nuts for buying it...dave did....LOL!
Dave got a sign that says...Experientmal Dandelion Farm...do not disturb weeds! Our neighbor across the road is obsessed with spraying...(we don't) Dave wants to hang it on the front fence so neighbor can see it...I said no way..not on my picket fence!!! So..not sure where he is gonna put it?????
Oooooo...you all might want to go to Wally world. They have hanging baskets...of red, white, blue petunias for 6.98? At least ours did. I got a couple for our front arbor, as the impatiens was cooking out there! I didn't think it got that much sun???? What do I know???
Joyce...the grandaughters ..and you...are gorgeous! I didn't know you had that many!
Bonnie, glad you are improving!!
Pat...yayyy on the new flower bed. Going to be a new one here too...as soon as Dave gets the sod off...lol. Need a place for all this new iris!
Ok...I better get a move on here. Not sure what we are doing today? Maybe finish up some painting projects in the barn.
Have a great day everyone!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Took a picture of the hydrangea yesterday. One of the fence guys was crazy about it-- took pictures to show his wife, etc. It certainly has decided to show a full color spectrum this year.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

Marcy to funny on the Dandylion farm
pat oh that is georgous !!
rain here today
need to go to a hearing today also
bbl

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We saw tons of hydrangea on the garden tour yesterday and so many of the Endless Summers were triple colored. Really neat to see. Mine are doing the same thing.

Sue, thought that was postponed????

Bonnie, glad to hear that you're on the mend. Don't push yourself. Is your pool open? Could you relax in there?

Hi Marcy...cool on the chair. Men just don't understand....

Joyce, the pool is open, water is not yet too warm. I will just as soon as the water is the comfy temp I like.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a good game plan. Bertie and I just got caught in a downpour on the four-wheeler. Cayenne, too. We made it to the porch, had a beer and waited for the rain to stop. It did, so now I've got to get back to work!

this was a hearing for Sharon Cook and if she is crazy or not. That got postponed until June 27th.
tomorrow i meet with the prosecutor and he will tell me details of what more they have found out. so i got back tomorrow at 2
tomorrow i have a 11 am house to clean , run to the meeting then hit an office building to clean and then pick up kids .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.