Luncheon June 30, 2012 in North Little Rock, AR

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Date:June 30, 2012
Place: Our House
Time: 10:30ish until we eat all we can, laugh until our sides hurt, and get a door prize!

Please bring a dish and a door prize (around 10.00 dollars)

If you would like, Jeff and I will grill hamburgers and y'all can bring the sides and desserts...like baked beans, potato salad, slaw, grape salad (hint to Charlotte.) We will have a picnic indoors!

If you want to pot up some plants and bring them, great! I am certain we can find them a new home! Plus, you can walk around my yard and see if I have anything you want...mostly shade plants.

Foods:
Kim--Hamburgers, Buns, Cheese (American and Pepper Jack,) Mustard, Miracle Whip, and Paper Goods
Sandy--Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickles
KA--Potato Salad
Charlotte--Grandsons are coming so she will not be here :o( No Grape Salad!
Marilyn--Slaw or Brownies
Christine--German Chocolate Cake
Sarah--Baked Beans
Genna--?
Loretta--?

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 8:41 PM

Thumbnail by duckmother
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I can bring potatoe salad. i should have some fresh new potatoes soon!! I definitelly have plenty of eggs for the potatoe salad.

Okay, I will put you down for potato salad.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

OK I got the hint!!! Grape salad it is!

Woo Hoo!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'll stop by KFC and pick up some slaw on my way down there--I think KFC makes good slaw.. Is that okay with you?
or maybe I'll bring some brownies--which would you rather me bring?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

If. And that's an if my tomatoes are coming along and I have a working kitchen I'll also make some salsa No promises. I hope I'm not without a kitchen too long

Marilyn, you are coming from quite a distance, so bring whatever you want!

KA, I saw your post about your tomatoes...so what is/was wrong with them? I will not hold my breath but will keep my fingers crossed!

Y'all are more than welcome to pot up some plants or seeds and bring them with you. Anything that is not spoken for, I will make Holly take home! lol

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, if Charlotte would like to bring some of her "mighty" impatiens, I will take some! *HINT*

This message was edited May 30, 2012 9:57 PM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim my mighty impatiens are once again taking off!!! They're just now really coming up but I'll have plenty to bring you! The stupid things are coming up among my daylilies! I've never planted them there!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

ya'll need to go over to the tomatoe forum here and i got a post over there. Honestly some of those folks over there are pretty hateful with their comments. But I needed help. I didn't get it at that thread, but rather instead I got the help from the extension office, I really don't th ink I'll be asking for help on any thread here on dg, I'm sick to death of getting slammed on the canning thread or any other thread where I've asked questions and get answers like I get. I don'tk now, maybe it's just me . I need help not smart mouths.

Maybe i'm reading too much into those posts . I haven't said anything over there yet about their posts. it could just be me, i'm under stress lol

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Ok, i went back and read over the thread, it's not all that bad, lol It must just be me then, but youcan read about what's goign on with the tomatoes there. i just think we used too much fertilizer manure and triple l3, I don't think it was the home remedy spray I used like others over there think it was. plants weren't affected by it till they were almost 2 foot tall which is weird, we used the fertilizer and manure from the very beginning, i imagine soil took time to have the reaction from too much fertilizer. now things are getting better though adn tomatoes are getting back to normal. which is what is important.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann a guy in our garden has the really bad curled leaves on his tomatoes. We have all been trying to figure out what is wrong. He has tomatoes on his plants and they are nice and tall. From googling we had decided it might be a water issue (too much or too inconsistent). But was glad to see your post on FB because I think he has the same problem. He bought some bagged manure a few weeks ago and put around his plants. He had already amended the soil and added the manure and he commented on how his plants really took off after he did that. But that's also when his tomato leaves started curling. I did a google search and discovered certain insecticides that animals may end up eating can cause leaf curl.

Now we have squash borer. I had a couple of squash plants that just didn't seem to be doing good. One looked so bad I just decided to pull it up. When I did I discovered the white borer in the vine! Then I got to looking around and found it in several other boxes. I put some Dipel dust out last night and I'm going back this morning to check my plants better and make sure I've got all the bad places taken care of!

I'll have to go over to the tomato forum and see what they had to say. I've been reading some stuff in the garden forum but haven't been to the tomato one.

Sorry about that KA. You can ask any of us about your plants. Of course, I know zilch about veggies, trees, etc. Ask me about a duck, then I can help!

Yippee, gonna get mighty impatiens!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'll bring German Chocolate cake!! I usually use the coconut pecan icing on them but if someone doesn't like that I'm sure I can improvise with some other flavor of icing, just let me know!

I love all of it! lol

Every once in a while, I am really on the ball! I already have door prize ready and Charlotte's little gift that I forgot to take to her last luncheon. Will probably eat all of the hamburgers that I have, so I will need to get some more in a couple of weeks. Otherwise, I am ready! I am not a very good procrastinator...does it show? LOL

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, I am hoping to be there! I don't know of any conflicts that day except that Jessica has to work and wouldn't be able to come with me.....which I know she won't be happy about! I will have to think a little bit to come up with something to bring, so if it is ok I will get back to you on that!

I was thinking about trying to root some of my pink butterfly bush that is doing so well, and possibly a few other things but I wasn't sure they would have time to root that quickly....... can anyone tell me?

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Genna

Pot up anything you would like, Genna. I have gotten and given plants that have not rooted...will not be the first time for most of us! Hope you can make it!

Little Rock, AR

Sorry I haven't been good about following ya'll lately. I've been so busy, but logged on today and saw the next get together. I can bring baked beans, or anything else you think we would need (or want!).
We are 2 months behind in our data gathering here at work, so on the computer all day!!!! We go live with our electronic record the last week in June and I'll be ready for a celebration!!!!!!

Great, Sarah, I will put you down for BBs. You may bring anything you like...I am the only picky eater!! These other girls will anything you put in front of them...not that they are big eaters, but I wouldn't leave my hand in front of them for too long, you may end up with one less hand ;o))

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You got that right Kim!

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh Kim don't think you are the only picky eater here - believe it or not I don't like coleslaw, baked beans, potato salad, coconut, peas and a whole slew of other stuff. My DH's mom used to always say 'I made potato salad just for you' 30 years and she never could remember that I have NEVER liked potato salad - love mayo - love potatoes but just cannot stand potato salad. Coconut is by far the worst offender for me I just cannot stand even the scent of it - some cookies have coconut oil in them and I can tell from the very first bite - when I was a kid I would vomit anytime I had to eat coconut - I think it is the texture - it reminds me of hair and I have a huge hair aversion. UGH!!!

But I also like a lot of stuff like broccoli, cauliflower, okra, great northern beans (with sugar and ketchup on them) carrots because I grew up in the country and my parents raised a garden and canned and that is what we ate at every single meal so I have had everything from boiled okra to beets to polk salad and we ate whatever was on the table or else so the theory that you grow to love whatever you eat may not hold true for everyone:)

Several years ago my new years resolution was to try to eat food in a restaurant they way it came without asking for stuff to be left off and what I learned is that I like a lot of things I never thought I did so now if I find something I just do not like then I know I can feel good about saying leave that off but I still cannot stomach certain foods like that list above - I'm sure I COULD eat them but if given a chance to choose something else I'll take it for sure:)

Not sure if I'll get to come to the get-together but I hope I will - it'll be closer to time before I know for sure and I'll let you know as soon as I have my schedule together

Karen, I know what you mean about the texture of foods...I cannot stand for lettuce to rub across my teeth! There are several other foods that I feel the same about. Jeff is not a big fan of coconut, actually, seems like a lot of guys do not coconut. There are foods that I adore, too...potatoes, corn, okra, squash, carrots, most beans and most peas. Also most fruits. Just subtract most things green, and I usually like something on the table. If not, I always have an apple nearby!

I so hope you can join us...

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

So what do ya'll want me to bring? If I can figure out a way to transport.... I might could bring lettuce (I know Kim doesn't eat it), tomatoes, pickles, etc for burgers? and maybe a dessert? although I know we don't need a lot of sweets.....

Also, I have attempted to root some Indigo Spires Salvias which seem to be putting on some new leaves so they look they are doing good. I also have some of the pink buddleia butterfly bush that seem to be rooting, but some are not. And, I am attempting some hot lips as well. I know a lot of you might already have these..... it was just all I had that I thought might root in this heat. I did attempt some of my Peppermint Schnapps hibiscus, but I am pretty sure they are all toast!! Is anyone interested in any of these? Since this is an official swap, I didn't see a swap thread so I thought I would just mention them here.

Thanks!
Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I don't think this is an official swap. We are just getting together for lunch and if anyone has anything they want to bring they can.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry, meant to say because if WASN'T an official swap..... just got in too big of a hurry while typing! :)

Bring 'em, Genna. Holly will take home anything that is not grabbed by others. You decide what food/dish you want to bring. However, you have a long way to travel and we may have to start eating without you. I would hate for you to bring tomatoes, pickles, etc and hamburgers already eaten. Dessert may be the best choice...like cookies that we could nibble on while opening door prizes!

I just talked to Sandy and she is doing her birthday stuff that day. So we have our first cancellation.

Has anyone talked to Loretta lately? She usually comes to the luncheons but I have not gotten an answer here or on FB...

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 10:09 AM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I haven't talked to her but didn't she say the date would be good for her???

Well, Sandy just called and will make it after all. Genna, would you prefer Sandy bring pickles, etc? That way you don't have to rush to get here...

Little Rock, AR

I have not noticed anybody being a picky eater, as we ususally eat everything it seems! I probably don't notice because there are hardly ANY foods that I don't like!
It will be so good to see everybody.
If there is anything else you need me to bring Duckmother, just let me know.

I am not certain, Sarah. As the date gets closer, we may think of something. Unless you are talking about plants...bring whatever, they will find a new home!

I have diet soft drinks, lemonade, tea and bottled water. If anyone wants something with real sugar in it, they will have to bring it.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Unfortunately, I won't be rooting or digging or potting anything this season. I'm knee deep in all kinds of stuff here and haven't got much time to do anything extra. BUT, I do have this ee coming up in my strawberry bed, that I must move, as there are about l0 to 12 of them now, babies coming up like crazy, I have no idea what kind it is, but I need to get them out of there and will dig these and bring them to the luncheon if anybody wants them. Im' not digging them and bringing them if nobody wants them. If your going to be at the luncheon and want these. let me know & I will dig them, other wise, I'll let my neighbor come dig them and she can have them and I won't have to mess with them. I won't be moving them to another part of the yard cause it looks like they might be invasive lol.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

KA, let your neighbor do all of the work ;o) I will have ears if any are wanted...

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I must have the same thing! I've been digging and taking mine out to Wildwood! Luckily we just started a bog garden out there and needed EE's. Think I've supplied them enough!

I plan to bring Kim some impatiens. There may be a thing or two that I have in pots but don't plan to do a lot of digging myself. Seems I always have something in a pot!! If there is something in particular that I have that someone would like to have just let me know.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Ok I'll tell her to come get
Them. She'll be thrilled

Yippee!! Impatiens!! I am so easy to please ;o))

Batesville, AR(Zone 7a)

Yes, I will be there. Don't know what I will bring to eat. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Loretta

Okay, just making certain...bring whatever...plants too, if you want...

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Charlotte, I would love a start of those mighty impatiens if you don't mind............... well, guess I should ask if they will take the sun? I do have a little shade area I have started on with some rhododendrums, but don't have much else there currently.

Haven't seen Crissy post in a while, but if you are still planning on coming Crissy, I would love some of the mondarda that you said you were going to have to dig up anyway. I had two different ones but lost them both during the winter of last year........

I have found that Charlotte's impatiens are happy anywhere! So, did you say okay for Sandy to bring lettuce, tomatoes, etc and you bring dessert? Yes, crissy is planning on coming. I believe she is visiting her dad...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.