What plant do you have too much of?

Agawam, MA

I just cannot throw out a broken leaf or trimmed back stem. I started out with 6 different AV's, now I have 60+ babies. My swedish ivy, peperomia obtusifolia (baby rubber plant), english ivy, jade, and aluminum plant need to be pinched back often, now I have 4+ of each. Does it ever end?
Cindy

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have a lot of pothos. Almost to much because it is everywhere.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i had this same problem earlier, but now all has been traded so i just have one of everything....lol...until spring...i plan on doin some propogating, then ill have 2X and 3X everything that can be propogated...lol....oh and i never have very much pothos, i have a tendancy to kill those...lol

cindy

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

purple wondering jew.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

Too much AV's! I'm like you I can't stand to throw away a perfectly good leaf that was broken off.LOL

tink

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

At the moment, scented geraniums are taking over my dining room!

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ(Zone 7a)

Right now I have a lot of swedish Ivy cuttings. Hubby would say though, in answer to this question, that I just have to many plants period!!!! lol I don't really care if I have 20 things of the same plant...lol THis way when one dies you have a back up. This is wha I try to do with all of my plants. My succulents all have been propagated just about. Because everyonce in a while I will kill one...lol
Holly

Creeping Charlie, Ivy, Pothos, Jade, varigated Jew, Purple Jew, Green Jew, I have several of each . I also have one scented Geranium now!

I also am trying once again with an african Violet. I have a tendency to kill them......

This message was edited Sunday, Nov 25th 9:26 PM

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Me, too, snowbird. I don't especially care for them, so no loss, but it just makes me feel defeated. I don't look twice at them any more.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i have loads of jades due to broken leaves falling and rooting, and loads of mother of thousands thanks to a kind donor!!

lil

I just plain have too many of dead things. My plants really get neglected

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL............I don't have enough, I have maybe 12 houseplants at this time. trying to get more

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I have maybe 25-30 different kinds of Christmas Cactus, and of course they do sometimes need pruning. Prior to the internet, I used to just throw the extra pieces away. Now, I have just finished building another plant light, so I am going to pot up and root my extra Christmas cactus cuttings in order to trade them for MORE Christmas cactus cuttings. LOL

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Inda, if you're interested in trading for other things let me know. Only have 2 CC and I don't really know which ones they are:)

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

tiG,

What colors are your CC? I am not too hung up on them being named-- I just like vigorous and hardy growers.

I have extras of a couple of cultivars that I am rooting right now-- when the weather warms up here in PA, I would be glad to trade with you.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Flowox, I have extra begonias, sanseveira, pothos, polka dot, wild primrose, diffenbachia and rubber plants if you're interested. I should probably wait until it's warmer up there to send them, but you can let me know if you want them and I can set them aside and get them ready.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey IndaShade, I have a CC that has sort of fushia bloom. I went to see my elderly neighbor at Christmas one year. She had dropped it on the floor. Just picked the whole thing up and put it in a bag ready to throw it away. I asked her what she was going to do with that and she said I could have it. Would you believe I just got my first bloom the other day. I wouldn't have too much to send you, but it is the old kind with the more slender sections? I would also love to trade when the weather warms up.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

KathyJo,
The Christmas Cactus that your neighbor has is my favorite kind! I love to collect the old "antique" CC that alot of older folks have in their homes. Some of these varieties are well over 100 years old, and are most likely a S. xBuckleyi type Christmas cactus. Most of them grow and bloom like weeds!

I will have plenty of Christmas Cactus starts to go around come spring, and I would love to trade you for a piece of your neighbor's cactus. All I need from you is two 3-4 segment unrooted cuttings, and I am in business!

Thanks!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

what's the best way to root CC?

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

IndaShade,
My mother got a CC from a little old lady about 30 years ago so that would make it about 110 years old. Would you want a piece of that one? It's blooming like crazy right now. My mother never did repot it because the pot it is in looks like it is going to disintigrate at any moment. I think it even has a little duct tape around it. As long as it was growing well, it didn't seem to need repotting. Let me know if you want a chunk.
Ruth

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Flowox, I just cut off a short piece, several inches, and let it dry out for a couple of days, then poke a hole into some sandy soil, insert the cutting and firm the soil around the stem. Water it well, and keep it sort of moist until you see new growth. The time seems to vary a lot, and I think that might be because I have had some that were hybrids, but
keep it moist and wait patiently. Some will show growth in less than a week. It should be kept out of hot sun, but does best for me in an east or south window. Zygocactus prefers more moisture than most cactus, and this is especially true when it is blooming. But it will survive neglect, too, and I have found some blooming that was bone dry that I had forgotten for months in an unused bedroom. I don't think it will survive much cold, but will benefit from being outside in the spring and summer in a shady spot. Makes a good plant for a covered patio.

I have lots and lots of aloe veras. They are beautiful. Several are so large they have way outgrown their pots and draped over the sides and had many many children. Hard to kill them...overwatering is their worst enemy. But you can ignore them all winter and they're still there when you check in on them again. They will even live with the roots out of the soil for quite awhile. Best medicine in the world for burns and cuts.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

The directions that Aimee gave for rooting CC is correct, but I also use rooting hormone when I root them. Some of them are pretty darned stubborn about rooting, and the hormone seems to help as well as protect the cutting against rot while it is in the process of rooting.

I took about fifteen cuttings from the various CC that I have today and started them rooting in anticipation of trading with all of you when the weather warms up.

Ruth, I would love to have a cutting or two from your mother's CC, but we will have to wait until it warms up a bit. You are even farther north than I am! :-) Although we do seem to be having a bit of a "January Thaw" here in PA, I don't expect it to last long.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Inda, I may leave the rooting of this up to you if you don't mind. My windows and plant porch are full to bursting. If you are unsuccessful then I could always send you more.
Ruth, what color is the blooms on your Mom's CC?
Inda, do all the different varieties you have bloom at different times? Do you have a gold one? I think there is one out there.
The other CC's that I have were bought after Christmas on the cheap. 50 to 75 cents with no blooms. But they always bloom right around Thanksgiving or before. Always want them to bloom at Christmas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.