Help! Neighbors have taken away my privacy

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Forest Farm has one. YES! I'm ordering it for fall. I did love the one I had at home. And it's a cheap. but beautiful way to fill a big space that would have required two shrubs. Since it's a gallon, and four gallons creates economical shipping, I'm going to get three of my dream plants.

Thank you Doug, and thank you VV!

Donna

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you to the birds and mother nature for the free screening! LOL!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Don't you love it?!

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

Here's my pokeweed story: Nine years ago I decided to let one grow in a new garden that hadn't filled in yet. It was a gorgeous plant, single stem (trunk, really), much taller than me, and at the end of the season loaded with pretty maroon seeds. People thought it was some kind of exotic tree. When the time came to part with it, it was so large and deeply rooted that I couldn't dig it out, so a neighbor brought over his pickup and we pulled it out with a chain. And then came one of my more memorable garden mistakes--I put the whole thing in the compost heap. It's a cold pile in the woods that takes a while to break down. This year I started digging into the area of finished compost where the pokeweed had been (having long since forgotten about it), and learned within a week that pokeweed seeds are still viable after nine years in cold compost. The seedlings are easy to pull, which is a good thing, because so far I've removed at least 200. I love the surprise of garden volunteers, but this one I could do without!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The two in my yard have been established for years. Iasked the previous owner about them, and did some research. Those two aren't going anywhere! But they are along the back of the property line, which is great. I'll tell you, though, I look around on a regular basis for seedlings and get rid of them. I think their root systems go to China.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think I saw one in one of my flower beds the other day....note to self watch for seedlings and pull up before fall.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Going back to the house under contract, I found this growing in a bed, and potted it up with lots of compost and watered it for a few days. It started growing.

It just happens to be a seedling of one of my favorite plants. It got this big in less than three years.

And guess where I put it? Next to the ugly fence with the barking dog next door!

Great idea, Viburnum Valley! Thank you.

Donna

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 4:57 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And thank you Doug. You were the one who noted that the giganteous could take more shade than I realized!

Donna

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

As always - you are welcome.

Continued good luck with screening out whatever you find undesirable...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.