Chinese Long Beans

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

I grow the red noodle bean; pick them at about 8-10", and stir fry them. They are delicious! Leave them a little al dente

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Too skinny at 10 inches. Here is one from today at over 16 inches.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

newyorkrita
you are right ! Those beans need to be harvested long ... that' why they are called "long beans' ... giggle

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor- Everything looks yummy! I don't have any RED NOODLE yet. Want to see how different they taste from the green ones. I have been getting ripe Asparagus bean to pick.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

In my opinion the red long beans are sweeter.
Also they are easier to pick .. since they are red!

That is why I planted three types of the Long Beans as I wanted to be able to compair all three varieties for myself and see what I liked better.

Talihina, OK

just my two cents worth but I have grown a lot of diferent beans in my lifetime(76yrs) and my favorite for pure ornamentals are the Hyacinth Bean Vine AKA Lab lab>>beautiful flowers and abundant purple seed pods and some folks eat them

I have grown Hyacinth Bean as an ornamental as they do have those lovely flowers. But I am not interested in eating them. Will stick with the Yard Long Beans!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

weeeeee
Look at how many beans I got today !!!

Thumbnail by drthor
Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from newyorkrita :
That is why I planted three types of the Long Beans as I wanted to be able to compare all three varieties for myself and see what I liked better.

Chuckle... Baker Creek alone lists 12 different varieties. Kitazawa sells eight (only two of which match Baker Creek offerings). The species is apparently grown and eaten all over Asia, so I strongly suspect there are great differences in the flavor, size, growth habit, ideal growing conditions, etc.

This is not just another bean - it's not even in the same genus as kidney beans, French or Italian beans, Scarlet Runners, Lima Beans, etc. So naturally it's going to taste different from common green beans.

-Rich

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 2:45 PM

Well, I did not mean that by planting the three types that I had covered all bases. I just wanted to start out with a variety as I had never have Yard Long Beans before. If for some reason I don't like one of them, at least I have something to compair them too.

drthor- WOW!!!! I have only been getting afew a day.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

newyorkrita
they will produce more as they get older ! no worries !
By the way, those beans are planted in regular clay, no special soil, and I hand-water them ... when I remember !
They are a HERO in my garden !!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 6:20 AM

I really don't do anything to mine either except watch them grow.

I bought my seeds at Baker Creek and that is funny because I was looking for something else, decided to look to see what other things they carried, looked at beans and saw the Long Beans. I had NEVER heard of Long Beans before but quickly decided that I wanted to grow them.

Got a few more Long Beans today. I think I have enough to stir fry them as a side dish to the steak I am planning for dinner. Will report back later on how they tasted but I expect them to be yummy.

Oh yum, yum, yum. They were SOOO good. I lightly sauteed them in some olive oil with chopped garlic. Added some dried onion flakes and a few red pepper flakes. Sweet and tender and I LOVE the flavor. If you ask me these are much better than string beans.

Oh wow ... I purchased some last year but didn't grow them. I'll definitely do them this next year. They sound just like what I want! We love stir fry. I'm sure that's why I picked them out. I didn't see the red ones. Will have to go back and check on that. I've made a list of the cucumbers, too. This is a great thread. Thanks for this info and the nudge I need for planting my yard long beans. I had forgotten about them. So many seeds ... so little space!!
Happy planting ... ~Susan

This is my first time but honestly, they are great. Will definatly be back next year. They are producing like crazy now.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Susan-just give them something to climb up. Its has been my experience that they are not bothered by any of the usual pest that other beans are such as Spider Mites. They are so easy to grow and they love heat and humidity. Sounds perfect for South Georgia.

Tasty yummy too!

Lake Elsinore, CA

Make sure you save some seeds off your plants for next year. I planted 60 seeds that I saved. They were the red seeded long beans. They are really taking off.

I've got another 2 to 3 months of hot to moderate temps of growing weather here where I am.

Won't the plants cross polinate? I have Red Noodle, green noodle and asparagus bean all planted side by side.

Lake Elsinore, CA

Oh, I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to try I guess. I usually grow a couple of varieties when I grow them. I guess we'll see what comes off my bean plants.

If they did cross pollinate, you'd likely get a nice bean anyway. :)

They are mainly self pollinating. I've had beans x before. It was very evident in the color of the shells. I'll end up ordering more next year, my youngest son eats ALL I can pick. One had much better germination then the other. I'm going to start more when we get back on August 8th.

See we can garden in hot temps you just have to know what to grow.

1lisac
Now you're making me jealous ... ☺

Decatur, GA

drthor,
Your harvests are fantastic! Beautiful. And I am sure taste too.
I tried to grow pole beans and had terrible troubles with spider mites. I didn't know how to control them. So this year I put bush beans in again and got some good results. It is just so hard to pick the bush beans. My back aches thinking about it.
Helen

Helen,
I grew pole beans and had good success by growing them on a trellis. It's the netting type. I'll see if I can find the variety I grew and post. It was a couple of years ago. I grow in Earth Boxes, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

helenchild
thanks for the nice words.
It is just pure luck !!

I use Neem Oil on spider mites. Its organic but I use it because it works. You just can't use it in the heat of the day or in direct sunlight.

Susan-you still have time to grow them. We have at least 2+ months of hot weather.

You know, I'm going to clean out a space and try it. What have I got to lose! ☺

BTW, Helen, I planted Kentucky Wonder and French fillet tavera beans in 09. The KY Wonder did the best.

Decatur, GA

Thanks IO1, I will make a note of your recommendation.
drthor, I know what you mean about feeling lucky when the veggies start rolling in.... it seems all I did was plant a seed and this is what happens!! But we know there is a lot more than luck involved. ;-) Like hard work for one.!

Oh man. Here are some Yard Longs that stayed on the vine too long before I picked them. Pods all bumpy which means they are rubbery and not good tasting for eating. Threw them in the compost pile.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

The red noodles are ok. I picked them in time!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Talihina, OK

A pic of some yard long grown by Cathy and Wayne Rister Ball.La.

Thumbnail by grits74571

I see bumpy pods. Too long on the vine before picking for good eating. They do look impressive that length though!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW those are long !
I found out that the green variety is so hard to spot ... while I love the red beans. I can see them right away.
From now on, only RED LONG BEANS for me !

Funny, I like the green ones better.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from grits74571 :
A pic of some yard long grown by Cathy and Wayne Rister Ball.La.

I would agree about the bumpy pods - the pods in the photo are way past their prime.

-Rich

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have started to harvest : CHINESE MOSAIC LONG BEANS and they nothing like in the picture.
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/beans/long-beans/chinese-mosaic-long-bean.html
They are not LONG and they are not RED.
They are green with a red line.
Have you also try this before?

Thumbnail by drthor

Humm, never had those. Don't know if they are supposed to look like that.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes I was very surprised too.
The CHINESE RED NOODLE BEANS are still my favorite!
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/beans/long-beans/chinese-red-noodle-bean.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.