Need Help to Re-bloom Florida Amaryllis for Holidays

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Actually, there are ways to change a refrigerator so that it functions in the 50 - 60° range.

However, I had over a dozen 8 pot trays prepared of just 1 variety. That’s a lot for just one refrigerator. There were also 4 – 8 pot trays of another color. And there were others ready for sale – if and when they show a scape tip.

I can’t afford nor do I have sufficient space to put that many pots and trays into coolers.

My primary growing area for regular bulbs is 16’ x 16’. My breeding bulbs and bloomers from seed tend to be in the greenhouse which is also 16’ x 16’. Then there are some raised beds and other scattered groupings of pots.

Given how hard it is to heat the greenhouse, I couldn’t possibly cool the whole thing...

I’m looking for simpler ways to shift their bloom time.

Candace

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

You do have a problem.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

That's why I'm asking everyone for ideas...

Candace

I have a couple of neighbors who have basements. (yes in Florida) But that would be a little far for you to travel.

How hot does it get during the time you trying to bring them in bloom?
I do not know if it would help and it might be to expensive but I know some one who grow Orchids. For the cool loving kind he used shade cloth and Big fans and a water curtain. You might be able to make a home made job of the water curtain. I can not remember how cool it was but it was a nice greenhouse to go into in the summer time.
There is a kind of shade cloth that is silver and it reflex some of the heat. I used some of this on the Epi shade house I had.

I know I am throwing out crazy ideas but my mind like puzzles.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

I appreciate your ideas and suggestions. The more ideas, the better.

Bloom PREP starts in late summer. Every article has the same timing. Start mid-August to mid-September. Until I have some success and can duplicate results, I’ll not mess with the timing.

My location is high, dry pine flatlands borderline scrub. It gets plenty hot here.

Because I want to be able to sell the bulbs, everything must be protected from diseases and inflections. Everything must be in the greenhouse year-round.

The greenhouse gets full sun from mid-morning til late afternoon. It gets HOT!

I have the entire greenhouse covered with white 60% shade-cloth.

New Insect Excluding Screening should arrive today. We’ll replace two sides and the roof tomorrow.

The new screening will reduce air-flow.

I need to rebuild the vents so they are 100% screened.

I’m already trying to design a home-made water curtain. A small pond pump, water curtain material, framing, some pvc pipe and a box fan should do. If it works, I’ll probably make a second.

I already have some minor success in breeding. I have 2 different half-doubles that are pretty. I also have some pretty singles I’ve not seen elsewhere. Nothing is unique enough to try for Breeders Rights but it’s fun trying.

Candace

sounds like you are on the right track.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

With our high humidity will a water curtain still cool? I am under the impression that evaporation has to be possible for a water curtain to work.

it will cool. Water will evaporate even here. I have been in a green house that had water curtains and fans.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Great Sandy.
Someone dissuaded me from doing that with the humidity argument. That was pre-Dave's.
I wanted to use this method to chill tomato garden at night in the summer.

I have seen one working but they did it with huge fans and I think lot of ventilation but there was still lot of green mold growing on things. But it was a lot cooler.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

The UF Research Greenhouses use Water Curtains to cool their greenhouses. I was there recently. I saw them.

Various water curtain materials are available online.

http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/greenhouse_cooling_pads.htm

I’m constantly amazed how much air a simple box fan can move...

A pump is needed along with a reservoir system.

Someone want to try this and start a separate thread?

I will probably try after blooming & seed production is over.

Candace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.