Lawn edger ?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I usually mow and Gary weed wacks. He is going in for knee replacement mid-May and I am getting a crash course on his tasks. I successfully started the gas weed wacker but was only able to wack with the head flat (under fences, against buildings). It quickly became heavy and both my hands got numb after a short time. I was totally inept at tipping it sideways to trim the flower beds (lawn to dirt). I have a lot of these edges, most have been trenched but still need weekly haircuts to keep the grass from dangling or encroaching. In the barn I found this old electric edger with wheels. Looks like it is designed for edging concrete, and we do have some sidewalks that I will use this on. Would it also work to roll along the grass to dirt edge? It is currently missing a blade so I haven't been able to try it out. Or does anyone have a magical tool that might be better suited for that particular task? Thanks for your input. I remember as a child doing this all with the hand clippers -- not a happening thing.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I use a foot-mashy edger so I don't know about that thing but your flower bed is sure pretty.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Good luck to Gary with the knee surgery, and to you with everything that will be on your shoulders during his recovery. The main thing is, don't over-do or you'll be the next one needing physical therapy.

Twisp, WA

I know what you mean about the weed wacker - I can only run it for a short period before it wreaks havoc with my hands. I got some of those rigid plastic thingies instead of the string and I can turn mine sideways to do a little edging or clean between rocks. I have a pretty light weight weed wacker though.

Seattle, WA

What is a foot-mashy edger? My dad had an old thing that was totally manual. I guess it worked. You sort of had to push the blade along the sidewalk---there must have been a little wheel. I remember something like the little pointy star on the backs of spurs. Perhaps they even make a modern version that is cheap, cheerful, and lightweight. Razor sharp would be a necessity, I think. Good luck!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I've been utilizing an even better system -- bribing my two sons to run the weedwacker for me! You'd be surprised how much work you can eke out of a grown child in exchange for a BBQ dinner. I also added hand clippers to my usual tool arsenal and hand-edge as I weed. Makes for a bit of a spotty look, but with our rain/sun/rain pattern, everything is pretty spotty this spring.

Gary is doing well in recovery, about 4 weeks out now and ready to return to work part time. Hoping to do the other knee after Thanksgiving.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm glad to hear your DH is recovering rapidly.
Actually a foot-mashie is a made-up saying for when you use your foot to move your golf ball when you shouldn't. They used to call clubs mashies also. My edger is just a half-circle of metal with a bent over part on top to step on with your foot. Does that make sense?

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012 9:37 AM

Lake Stevens, WA

BH,
Happy all went well with hubby.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.