May 2012-Plants done Blooming?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

bass pro shop in independence, that is where they hold their sale every year. tons of perennials, in fact two huge tent fulls. They have several greenhouses they are using including the one at the prision in Cameron Mo. Ours is next Saturday but it is nothing like theirss....rofl. Our plants are out of our gardens. No nursersies here..

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

If I had known about the sale I would have been there!! LOL. Not that I need more plants. Don't have room for them right now. I will need some more catmint to plant around my Westerland and Penny Lane roses but I will wait a little while on that. I just got them planted this morning. Need to get a pic.

Happy Mother's Day!!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah me too, I like a plant sale. That's neat getting plants out of people's gardens because then you know they are hardy here and are generally more apt to live. Unlike, for ex. a box store's plants, your not sure where they come from and if you don't keep up the constant watering schedule they were on (to ensure greenness no doubt) they'll die I found out, I'm pretty sure is why.

Oh, here's a pic of a Snapping Turtle walking the street. Well, he wasn't walking on his hind legs with six shooters drawn in each hand but he was definitely out there, (that's the street in the background)!
It was funny, I think it knew not to walk IN the street so it walked right next to it, just going thru yards like it was the boss. I don't think it is an Alligator Snapping Turtle after looking at photos, it appears to be a very large common one. Here is a side by side of the two - http://www.chelydra.org/common_alligator_snapping_turtle.html There was even a loose, big dog across the street, I remember it chased me into the bed of my truck but didn't hassle the turtle! I remember this nosy, elderly man, he says, "you sure got up into the back of your truck fast and got a shovel when that dog was coming", I think he found it amusing from his front porch!
Here's the house whose yard the turtle was walking thru. It was a HUD foreclosure that I was cleaning, see my vacuum cleaner on the porch and the foreclosure signs in the window? Sorry, I take photos of everything, my camera is like my best friend!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Where'd everybody go?! I am still working on the water-pond and stuff around here. Man, it is warming up here.
It looks like my Banana 'Basjoo' has expanded a little this year, I count 3 from one! I have another clump of Banana 'Basjoo' a few feet away, it has the same, about 3 sprouts this year.

I'm gonna try to make something of a raingarden just beyond the waterpond, I've already started a little on it, pulling away the mulch and getting ready to do some digging soon.
I need to try to create a raingarden that my friend here wants before she drains my waterpond and fills it in because it makes mosquitos!
Crit, if your out there, how's your pond coming? I looked at my crazy link to folks driving into the ocean up there following directions, it didn't even occur to me until later, that might insult somebody else, I was only talking about me, "I don't think I'd (myself) do that". : )

My rectangular planter full of Liatris is really coming along, maybe I'll have flowers in a month or so. -

'Luna Red' Hibiscus is starting out smaller than I hoped but at least it came back from last year. It wasn't even a harsh Winter and I'm surpised at how much stuff didn't come back!
Well, it was only 3 or 4 things that didn't come back so guess it coulda been worse.

I'm gonna get this climbing pink Rose planted soon. Boy, the selection at Kmart isn't very good now, this was the last climber, pink wouldn't have been my first choice and it looks terrible, but at least it has a little green on it, so it shouldn't be too bad, being pink should even work out okay.
Will

This message was edited May 17, 2012 9:26 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, have you checked on Penny Lane lately? Just wondering if it made it.

Your hibiscus looks good. I have one I'm holding for a friend and it isn't much bigger than yours. The good thing is it's bushy!!

I checked the roots, there's no white on the roots. I replanted it deeper, I'll keep watering it for a while. Unfortunately, it's not looking too good for Penny Lane I'm afraid.

Thanks pepper, I hope that Hibiscus stays good! I'll take bushy and flowers too hopefully!

I finally am covering up the 8 kitty litter buckets with the 3 Bamboo P. Bissetii plants in them. They seem to be okay with shooting up some this year. Their roots can't have much room so I plan to trim them at 8 feet or so if they get that tall, they're already 4 - 6 feet now.

I'm getting all that black dyed mulch covered up. Getting that black mulch was a terrible decision, that was almost as bad as buying a pea green little lamp at Kmart years ago, as soon as I walked out of the store with it I was thinking, "this thing is hideous, why did I buy it?!".

Here's my former Stephenson's Restaurant Wisteria seed fence planting along the driveway.

I got that pink climbing Rose planted next to a red Honeysuckle on my former futon frame trellis.

I dug up an old photo with that putrid green lamp in it, (sorry, I had to blur me out, it was more unflattering than usual!). At least it worked for several years, I no longer have that lamp!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

That's really stange that your Penny Lane apparently didn't make it. If I knew how to do cuttings I would do a cutting of mine later in the year but I don't know if I will be able to do it right. I'll look into it.

If you wanna try that that'd be great, Pepper. Maybe if yours gets big enuff with extra parts, don't rush it. The one time I tried Rose cuttings, last year, it didn't work. But, I didn't do exactly what they recommend like soil temperature just right and with Rose rooting hormone or anything. This is a story of a lady that put Mason jars over them. - http://scvrs.homestead.com/Cuttings1.html If you could get Penny Lane cuttings though you could probably sell them too. I've got 3 Rose plants, I'll try it too, I could trade you! Did you know they say Mason jars fit on a blender, say you've broken the pitcher part. It said bananas also ripen slower if they are separated, somebody told me in a forwarded email.

Hey, check this out! When I was draining my waterpond I found a small pot of something that apparently fell to the bottom. It was a small Rush that happ gave me last year! It still had some green on it so I'm gonna see if it's alive. It is likely dead but I am gonna wait awhile to be sure. I put it in this Silver bowl of water and I water it regularly.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, it been over a year of the Joplin Tornado on May 22 so I took some pictures today and it was so neat to see...

Thumbnail by JuJu55 Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Also I post some pictures in my Facebook as Anna M Russell and enjoy to see all of the new places....

Thumbnail by JuJu55 Thumbnail by JuJu55

It's starting too look good down there!! We went thru at the end of March. I was amazed at how far the city has come in transforming the area. Still a long ways to go but major progress already.

Yes, it is looking good there Anna, glad to see the recovery. The United Arab Emirates was in the news for giving 5 million dollars to the St. Johns hospital there. -
http://www.joplinglobe.com/topstories/x915983006/United-Arab-Emirates-gives-5-million-toward-medical-center-replacement
I watched that waiting room video there, it is nasty!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

This tree got painting last week as "Spirit Tree"...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Must seem odd not to have any old trees in Joplin for such a large path....

Thank goodness our plant sale is over! We did really well I think, I know we were swamped for 2 hours straight, but it is great and got at least 2 people signed up who are interested in joining us....yeah! We sold some strange tomato names: Abe Lincoln, Big Red tomato, Black Krim (which I have heard of), Box Car Willie, Morgage Lifter (which is another I had heard of), gosh there must of been another 6 I have never heard of but can't remember their names.

Now I can start on my stuff.....in fact Sunday we started on the pergola...finally. I even got some pots planted and a couple of items replanted....still have a bunch to do, like catch up on all of the weeds and the tree seeds sprouting but at least I am starting. Also have one of the city barrels planted so now if I can get the last one done I will be in the home stretch.

Have to get the gardens and stuff cleaned up because the mg's are coming to my house in July.....at least most of them understand not everything being perfect but you always want to present a nice garden if possible.

Yes long weekend coming up.....good deal.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Last week, the volunteers plant 161 trees in different parks... That why 161 dead in Joplin, MO...

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

OK, I'm finally back. lol Been so busy with all the projects in the yard that I haven't even been ON the computer for at least a week!

Will, we put the pond on hold until DH finished the new flower bed because I have plants in pots that I wanted to put in there. He is now done with his part and is going back to the pond. I have to finish laying the paper down and putting my plants in the ground and lining the edges with rock. Then goes the mulch and I'll be done for this year, I hope. lol Will probably be tweeking on it all summer.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just watch on TV about 1 Day of Unity and they has 6 tube like Time Capsule inside of the box and cover it with the name of people who died in tornado...

http://www.joplinglobe.com/tornadomay2011/x915986060/SLIDESHOW-One-year-later-One-day-of-unity

That was a good painting of that Spirit Tree, nice, creative painting but poor tree. I saw Obama in Joplin on tv, I'm glad to see all the improvement there.

Hi Crit, welcome back, working on the pond some more?! Me too! I'll probably change it to a raingarden, it'll probably be dry most of the time if I do that. It's a pretty deep hole for the run-off, it'll fill up on occasion though and keep mud off the driveway. I can change it back later if we want to, but this way my friend can stop referring to it as a hole in the ground that I made. It's more important that I make her happy so she don't throw me out! lol What I'll probably do is make large holes for big pots full of water for the 2 Water-Irises for a raingarden. I got a shiny trashcan for the hardy Water-Lily to sit in water. I might make one of those bathtub water features if I can find a bathtub. I'd like a bigger waterpond someday to have fish and lots of waterplants.

I dug up a big Mason jar. I thought I might get one and practice what I preach on the replacement blender pitcher that I was boasting about! This big one apparently has the right size opening. There must be more sizes, there is 2 sizes here, one big and one smaller but just right. I even got a photo of it upside down and full of water and it didn't leak a drop! I figure it's just a matter of time until my original blender pitcher cracks or breaks, it's over 10 years old. I use it regularly for chocolate shakes, I used it today.

Here's my vacant lot in small-town Kansas the other day. I'm having all the big weed trees on the lot cut down. They were making a mess all the time and keeping grass from growing, not to mention they were making a perfect situation for Ground Ivy (Gill-Over-The-Ground), and it was making my nose run when I mowed it! That guy is making firewood to sell, I told him he can keep the proceeds. He's doing a good job, I go there fairly regularly and check out the progress. That short trip is always perfect also to get some free rocks, which I did!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Too far behind to catch up and I have to get breakfast and go again this morning.

It's been busy here and I've been gone more than home, or outside more than in. Today, it's back out to Sara's to help her. When I get home it will be time for dinner and I need to mow after. We have had no rain so the serious watering has started. The astilbes are getting fried so I watered them twice yesterday. Most of the tags got raked out last fall with the walnut tree debris so I need to get out my chart, tag them and move the best to a shady spot. Which I weeded, and pottted extra columbine for the free pile. As soon as I add to the free pile someone stops, LOL! I can't keep up :o)

No new pictures till it's trimmed a little better, but..... Oh yes I did. 8'' gone. I noticed the other day after I washed it, the ends were really dry, as it dried. So I decided to whack it off while it still looked pretty good to save :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

Eeek Sally! I'd be bald if I cut off that much! Your hair looks good long, I think you can spare that much!

Well, one year has come and gone in Joplin, what a year it has been, from total destruction of many of the buildings there to mostly rebuilt, you still see affected trees everywhere.
I'm sure the people in that storm will never forget it, which is about everybody there. I know I'll remember where I was May 22, 2011, waiting for it to maybe come here too!
This is all we got to scare us bad!

edited to change the date : )

This message was edited May 24, 2012 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

A year ago I cut 12" off of my hair and donated it to Locks of Love. A couple of weeks ago I cut it again, the shortest it has been since I was a kid, just below my ears. I now have another 8" to send in. May keep it short for a while, is sure nice in the heat. I always had it up in a pony tail anyway. May let it grow back waist length before I cut a significant amount again. My cutting is all curls! lol

Hehe.. now I don't feel so bad for cutting my own hair, well usually I do, sometimes I go somewhere to get it fixed after I've cut it too much.
Speaking of hair, no holes have been dug by squirrels since I put my hair clippings in with the flowers and the soil, thanks Crit! Here's a pic of my Liatris today. -
Anybody want to see my video-clip of it storming here tonite, it's only a minute 56 seconds long, I hope you like the sound of rain and thunder! It's kinda eerie, and even looks eerie here, so much destruction so near to one year ago this week. Sirens were going off a minute earlier than my video-clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VQgrEW_WdU&feature=youtu.be That was dusk and it was pretty light out then.
My Fall Mum is blooming already! Maybe it'll bloom again in the Fall. -
Billyp, there is plenty of time, stop trying to catch everything up, it's okay! You guys! Don't you know, it'll be fine, it's good to be busy! : )
Have a glass of cold tea (with sugar) and smell the lovely flowers at your houses! : )
Here is a photo eerily similar to the stormy one up there. -
That Red Lily from Pepper is getting ready to bloom like crazy! I counted nearly 20 flower buds on that, which was a pretty small plant 3 years ago. That's a Purple Coneflower plant right of it, it has 3 or 4 flowers coming itself. The cracked mud pond there is probably full of rainwater now. Here's my Red Lily -
Here's the front of the house, I hung up two Boston Ferns, I've got a couple compliments on them, from people here! They were only $5.50 ea. at Lowes so I thought, "what the heck, lunch at McDonalds or Boston Ferns", I went with the Boston Ferns! - I am trying to do less clutter in the landscaping, for example, after I took this photo I brought those 2 kitty litter jugs inside.
I re-stacked patio blocks, my smaller (so far unused) freebie rocks and my wood pile. I am trying to make better use of my time with some labor, that stuff's not going to do itself I suspect!
Will

This message was edited May 25, 2012 9:26 PM

Will, I do cut my husband's hair, but do not trust myself (or HIM) to cut mine. I go to a friend of mine's salon to have it done. ^_^

Thumbnail by Crit

Oh I think donating that hair is a great thing for the kiddos. I have a friend that does that as often as she can. It will be real short then lets it grow out and off it comes again. I don't have long hair but I don't know many kiddos that would want white hair... ;)

Will, yes you need to make the home owner happy...rofl, I use a half whiskey barrel that I have a small water garden in and it works fine. When I first fill it with water it leaks a little but then the wood swells up and works fine. I even think habor freight at one time had a plastic version that I used until I got the real wood one. I am pretty sure those water iris will grow just about anywhere, by a down spout, a water runoff garden. Pretty tough.

I have not made it to independence, the family keeps coming to my house...rofl. Good to see them, they have been out fishing, but I will make it there sooner or later... ;)

Got to buy tires, yuck, no fun at all! Especially when I think what great plants I could be buying...rofl. Kind of like you Will...

Two days off of work Wed and Thursday and the pergola is done....I didn't get to take pics, in that we got done right as the thunder and light. started...I am soooo sore you wouldn't believe it...rofl. Now to start the potting bench...I am so excited it feels like Christmas.... DH says I need some cross pieces which I will do later this summer but it is done...and waiting for a great potting bench. The pergola is 16 feet long post to post and I am considering making the "potting bench"/storage go along the west side. I have a huge old cast iron sink, a metal furnace grated for the dirt to fall thru when I am potting, plus my big stain glass....hopefully it will turn out nice and not all junky looking. Fingers crossed.

Will, your mums probably won't bloom this fall. You are supposed to pinch the buds off if you see it forming them early like this. For the first time ever, mine are doing that too. I got one mum plant pinched but need to get the others. Gonna cheat and just use my pruners. I have too many to do it by hand!! lol

Haha, yeah, that pond is full of rainwater now! Ack! I wanted Fall Mums! Oh well, I have another smaller pot of Mums, I'll pinch them if it gets buds.
Here is the newest addition to my cactus/ succulent concrete planter, (mostly succulents, well, all succulents..lol, I don't really want to get poked by needles!) I learned at Home Depot today that not all cactuses will poke you, this girl was squeezing one on the same shelf I was looking at, she tells her brother or some smaller kid, "my Grandma has one of these it don't poke you", she said to the kid. Then she says, "ouch, well most of the time it don't poke!" rofl! I was gonna get that one until I read the mature size - 5 feet, too tall! Anyway, the new one is the green one in the middle, I splurged on that one, it was a whopping $4.98.
I plan to rearrange them later, it looks funny now. I need to get that rock out of there and replace it with a smaller one too.

Okay happ, no hurry on coming, I'll still be here, barring winning the lottery, which isn't likely to happen since I don't play!

Yeah, I told my homeowner friend that I wanted to change it to a raingarden and she was into it. She isn't crazy about the depth of it now, but I told her it'll be filled up with mud and leaves in no time. The likelihood of me getting the boot has come back down a notch now! Haha! I'm just kidding, she wouldn't really throw me out, she knows I pay rent, she'd have to give me 30 days notice!
When I cleaned the pond the other day, I scooped out about 3 gallons of smelly mud and leaves from the runoff, and that was from less than a year of accumulation.

Yeow Crit, that is some curls there, like Goldilocks! Like that episode of King of Queens where Carrie cuts her hair big to sell it for $2,000! I know you said your donating yours, that's neat too.

Isn't it so much easier buying plants than buying what is really needed? There is a trick to making the purchase of plants worth it. It isn't hard, I think they'd bring people alot more happiness if they just let them live year after year and let them get big and old like I try to do!

Thanks happ, a half-whiskey barrel is a good idea.

These peaches are really coming in. Now, if the squirrels will stay off of them!

Here is the big Mimosa already in bloom, the Hummingbirds will like that, that's some of my potted plants also in that shot, they are awaiting planting. I hate to stray but that big Swamp White Oak up close, I grew it from an acorn that I got from an arboretum near here called Powell Gardens in 2005. I just need a great big place to plant it someday. I have several trees like that, they started out small and now are getting pretty good size, an American Elm, a Chinkapin Oak, a Ponderosa Pine, a Leyland Cypress and an Eastern White Pine come to mind. Hehe.. the Ponderosa Pine (in the white wicker basket) came attached in a small seed packet that was attached to a shirt that I bought as a souvenir from the ArborDay lodge in 2004, it is getting quite large now! The American Elm I grew from a seed from the Illinois state champion American Elm tree, (it's in that photo, it's in the black pot in the front). The Chinkapin Oak I grew from an acorn from Burr Oak Woods State Park in 2006, it's in that photo too, (it's in the other red pot over on the left). The Eastern White Pine was a free seedling from visiting the ArborDay museum in 2004 too. The Leyland Cypress was just cheap, it was $3 in Fall 2010. I'm not sure what's in the white kitty litter jug, it is something that I started years ago but I'm not getting rid of it because I don't know what it is, I'm fairly sure it's either a Wisteria or a Kentucky Coffeetree, I used to grow them both regularly.

Here is the stacking, it's a work in progress. I need to drill drain holes in those 2 buckets, (in the background), before I put all those little scrap wood pieces in them.
I plan to finish that area this year! I said that last year! Haha!
Will

That's too bad you have to fill in your pond Will. After all the work you did on it!!!!

DH is still working on ours. Smoothing the sides and going to mortor between the stones on the retaining wall, as the liner will be going up the sides of it.

Too many eggs in one basket right now. I'm still trying to get the paper all down so I can start planting in my new bed. Yippeeeeeee And need to see about getting a pickup load of cedar mulch. I don't have near enough to do this big bed!

No rain here like we got downtown. Not fair cause we have the humidity today!
It is HOT...yuc
The ground is cracked and so dry.
did I tell you all we got chickens and ducks?
We put the ducks in a kids swimming pool and they had so much fun and I had as much fun watching them they are real characters.
Everything is blooming at the wrong g time this year. My clematis has been blooming for the longest time.

I have one clematis blooming again right now. Has several blooms on it. I just looked at it and shook my head. lol.

I hope all the rain forcast for this upcoming week hits at least some of us. Especially me!! LOL

Yeah, it was a lotta work. I don't HAVE to convert it to a raingarden. The path of least resistance is always easiest to follow I guess! I want to eventually be able to do more to have a nice, big pond, with fish, big fountains and water-plants everywhere. My friend and I get along well most of the time and I don't want to give her more to get upset about. She is really against giving mosquitos a place to breed. She sees the little swimmers in there and she knew it was mosquitos. It's just her thing, she has always emptied out any container that collected water, I knew that pond was making her nuts. I don't argue with her or anything, this IS her house. I'll make a nice one someday, I might just make it at my place in small-town Kansas.

Chickens and ducks are good, happ. You said your DH came home with some.
Boy, the chicks sure like this cat! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=YQJDCaKLk1o
I remember as a kid my Grandma had them running around with no head on them! That was one of her best memories of back in the day, having everybody over for chicken dinner!
I once entered my white chicken in a contest. My older cousin or somebody played a trick on me and convinced me (as a young kid) I'd win if I painted it pink! I spray painted it pink and didn't win anything! lol
I was the oldest sibling growing up but I had older cousins and even my uncle was a bit of a prankster. As a kid, I slept with the light on. They never said who did it but I now think somebody put a cutout of a big, scary face in the window so it cast on the wall and scared the poop outta me!

I planted a Peppermint plant in this planter on the privacy fence -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Really like that planter Will, perfect place for an herb, I have some kind of dark leafed herb all over the place....and can't get rid of it.
I have been in the sauna box...rofl. I started cleaning out the garden shed, no windows and it is getting warm in there. I have the biggest mess and need to get it together before Tuesday! But I came in to cool off.

Will I have an idea for your property in Kansas....kind of like they do in England. Save your pennies and put one of these wooden storage sheds on it and make it into a tiny house...have you seen the stuff on tiny houses.? They are so cool. I even saw some built on tiny trailers you can pull. Then all you have to do is get a compost comode, haul some water and you are good to go for a weekend or so....That is sort of what we did when we first bought this property. rofl.

Well I am cooled off, back to the hot box. I have been building shelves and all kinds of storage things.....

Thanks happ, that Peppermint plant seems to like it too so far. I've heard of people that turn sheds into little houses. I don't know if the small city where my lot is would allow that, but it's worth asking.
I'd do a shed house if I could! You may have been thinking about these little homes here - http://tortoiseshellhome.com I looked into them. They are promoted basically to be sold then built on their trailer for around 30k. But you can buy the materials it says without their trailer for $4,400 (naked Galapagos - http://tortoiseshellhome.com/Naked.html , which seems kinda sketchy so I don't know what's up there, it appears to be minus everything but the studs).
Will

Here is my Red Lily -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

That lily looks great!!

Here's one of my lilies blooming. A newbie.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Here is my Hall's Honeysuckle. It has reached the top of my trellis and would like to climb even higher. I want to kinda dig that clothesline post up some and straighten up that post more though, maybe first I don't know, it has a pretty bad lean. It's already about 8 feet tall. -

Here is my shade garden looking pretty shady!

Is that a waterhole or what?! It's where my waterpond used to be. -

Here come my 'Luna Red' Hibiscus. -

My poor Waterlilies are relegated to this can! -
Will

edited to fix typos..lol

This message was edited May 30, 2012 10:32 PM

Thanks Pepper, I got it from you, hope your parent plant is doing just as well! I took some more photos of it today, it has more and better flowers now, that first one looked a bit rough, they are in the first photo.

Your Lily looks good too there Pepper!

Some Purple Coneflowers are coming out, this is only the second flower to appear yet, it's kinda pale but they are getting more purple with each one, it's the second photo - .

This rain is sure welcome. Boy, that was some thunder last nite! It was a perfect example of "rolling thunder" last nite. It was really an unusual example of rain and thunder last nite. After that "rolling thunder" it started raining, it was less rain than I hoped but it was more than enuff to water plants one time. It was on the news about all the thunder but oddly enuff there was no mention on the channel I watched of this "rolling thunder" that was so different and opened for all the rain. And it's raining again tonite, yippee!!

That Peppermint is really liking it's place on the fence!

The Purple Liatris is getting further along in it's countdown to flowers in the big rectangular planter! -

Here comes the Elephant Ears, I bought 4 big bulbs and put them in this big, black pot. -

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Will,

Crit,
I found a ruler and it was almost 10''. I thought about ''Locks of Love,'' but I don't have any hair saved like my relatives used to. I am selfish enough to want to keep it and remember that it was that long.
Curls! Lucky Lock reciever!
Your hair is beautiful!!

Will,
The rain and thunder sounds nice!
You'll love the liatris when it blooms!

Happ,
Awesome! I can't wait to see pictures of the pergola! I think your potting bench wil be sooo neat!

Pepper,
Well yikes! I better look at my Mums. I have an old fashioned kind tho. One is white and one is dark red. Neither bloom until the middle of October, just beating the frost and hard freeze. I've never pinched.

Will,
You're changing your pond to a rain garden? That will be interesting. I know how hard you worked on it, but I like the idea. It will be a lot less maintanance.
I remember the chickens running around, actually flopping, after having their head cut off. Dang scary stuff I tell you!! They would head right for you!
Meanies, to scare a little kid.
Love the planter on the fence! I have spearmint in a pot. Smells just like the gum!

Happ,
Those tiny shed houses are sooo neat!

Pepper,
I have that lily. Is it called Royal Sunset?

We got groceries this morning and took the Grandkids home. I mowed and also cleaned house. Tomorrow is laundry and dishes. I also need to pick spinach and maybe freeze some. Life never stops :o)

I'm not sure if it's Royal Sunset or not. Yours looks fuller than mine. I will have to check more pics tomorrow and see. I don't even remember planting this lily so that makes it harder to remember the name. lol

Fancy seeing you at this hour Sally! Eeekk, ten inches of hair! I'm looking forward to that Liatris in bloom! I wanna have a bunch of clutter out of the way, even that green trailer for that, so even people driving down the street can see it, I crave attention I tell you!! Yeah, I think I should just convert the waterpond to a raingarden for my friend. She would get more enjoyment out of it and I want her to like what I do in her yard.
At least I know there's no electrical lines or anything there! She is anti-mosquito in a big way, waterponds aren't conducive to not having mosquitos!

You mowed again?! I haven't mowed since I bent the mower blade a long time ago! I went over the tall grass with the weedeater again today. I've been to 7 places to get this steenking mower blade, and I STILL don't have it! Here's the first wrong blade..lol - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9120485 There is so little grass now, I'm not expecting a visit from the city's lawn police, but I've been wrong before!
It's NOT a rare mower, I bought it at Walmart in 08'. I finally broke down and asked this guy at Walmart to PLEASE order the blade. They supposedly stock it, but it's always out at this one Walmart and they weren't ordering it apparently. I had gone there a second time to buy it because I thought surely it'd be in stock, but it was still empty! A closer Walmart doesn't even stock lawnmower accessories, which is odd because for one it's a big store and three they just should sell lawnmower accessories if they sell my lawnmower!

Meanies, they oughta be ashamed of themselves! I look back and think, "those rascals"!

Oh, I love herbs too, if only to rub my hands over them as I pass by, sometimes my hands would smell from other stuff!

Royal Sunset eh, I hope that's what it is, that's a good name.

My Wisteria planting from those seedpods from the former Stephenson's Restaurant is coming along. I plan to fill that all the way up with Cedar mulch as soon as it looks like all the Wisteria seedlings have come up through what mulch is there, I thought I remembered putting way more seeds in there, oh well, I have to get my seeds from Worlds Of Fun or somewhere now. -

Here's the TropiCanna from Pepper going upward all the time. It looks quite a bit different (in a good way) than the ones I see at the stores for sale now. Maybe it has taken an appearance more of adapting to this region than where it was shipped from, maybe Florida? I kinda doubt the ones at the store get this big. It's already about 3 - 4 feet tall, by Summer's end it may be 6 feet tall, (I plan to paint that shed)! -

How about a houseplant?! Here is my Philodendron 'Micans' in all of it's glory! It's a good sport so far, it isn't as bushy as I'd like but at least it seems to be doing well.

Here is a Banana 'Basjoo' still small but putting on size after a mild Winter. -

Even the Ditchlilies from happ are getting in on the blooming action! I'm kinda pondering planting them in the ground because then I might have more of them than I planned! I do like them though, I might leave them in a big pot. -
Will

This message was edited May 30, 2012 10:41 PM

A big pot is a good place for ditch lilies cause once they are in the ground they are there to stay...rofl.

Not one drop of rain in my garden for at least 3 weeks if not more now...nothing, nada, not a drop. I was really hoping last night, I don't know what happened.....dark outside right now, maybe you all will get some rain, I think I have given up hope. I bought some mulch yesterday, think I will go back and buy more drip hoses today....and get them down then start mulching. The veggies are already covered in drip in hoses.

Worked on the chicken taj Macoop last night. Some how three of the chickens got out and I believe it was Shortie the dog who got the chickens....we didn't see it, the chickens managed to fly or climb up a 6 ft pen...so we are going to add a tarp over the top...geehz.

Well everyone have a great day. Later

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

50°/59°/44°
Rain early... then remaining cloudy with showers in the afternoon. High 59F. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph. Rainfall may reach one inch.

I woke up to rain and we already have 6/10''. That's on top of the half inch we got Monday.

Pepper,
Mine came from a friend. There were two bulbs just on top of the ground and I popped them off. The plant didn't ''expose'' itself for a good year or more. They seem to grow nice and thick in a short time.
This picture is from 2007 so I must have got them at least in 2006. The new bloom is dark. They fade over the days they're open.

Will,
I had just got out of the shower and washed my hair. I had to let it dry, so managed to turn on the computer instead of sitting in front of the TV and falling asleep :o)
I think the water garden is a great idea.The pond was cool and you learned a lot making it. Now you wuill learn something new. It's great that your friend gets a little involved with the great outdoors :o)
If it rains, I mow every four or five days. Right now it's a week apart.
No, I just meant that every few years they change something about aa part so it doesn't fit the old appliance. You will probably get the blade, but if it was 5 more years older, and you might not have.
The wysteria are growing! The canna looks great! Sometimes I miss having a philodendren. Take cuttings to shorten it by half and root them. Pot them all up and the philo will look great! Beautiful banana! The ditch lilies will fill the pot in no time, butr you could take a few out and plant far away in a corner and still keep some in a pot.

Happ,
We went thru a good month without rain and finally, at the last minute got a little. Then we were dry again till last Monday and today. They say we'll be hot and dry all summer. :o(
Chickens do fly and can reach a low limb in a tree. It's a shame they got got :o(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.