Tools, What tools do you like or not.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Ditto on the curved blade edger tool. It works OK for my soil but I just can't get in the habit of 'edging' . And then I just a much go for a d handle spade to do it when I do.

I use the digging fork at least half of my digging time, and all my compost moving time. A must.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

'edging?' What's that? LOL ^_^

rofl C!

Warrenton, VA

Yep, the suburban yuppie in me occasionally takes over and makes me AN__...

But, after I paid for a landscape crew to help out with my yard, and they made a kind - of ditch around the newly planted trees (with the nice ROUND circles of mulch surrounding the trunks), I admit that my pride got in the way and I wanted to keep that professional look.
Especially since the neighbors had looked at the former rental cottage in a state of neglect for many years...LOL!
But true!
OK, I am slinking back into the background now...again, LOL!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Say it isn't so -- don't go to that background!!!

Warrenton, VA

OK, I'm back - had a doc appointment yesterday for the annual female issue, and she was appalled at the inside of one of my thighs, very far up...(well, it was close enough to the area she was focusing on so that should tell you how far up-LOL)

So I must ask, is there a tool made that prevents ANTS from running onto and biting your skin when you're weeding? I welted up really well, and my doctor freaked.

If'n there isn't, maybe we could all get together and create one! Do you think we should use some kind of insecticide? Organic or not? Yep, WAY TOO MUCH thought going into this, but after the week I just had at work, you'd understand.

I was weeding those beautiful round mulch professionally-planted circles around my new trees...! Had to stop when the little buggers bit too hard and too often. Found more than one good sized next, I did!

Well, once things have been super neatened up, it does help the motivation to maintain.

I don't know if you can stop them when they are in Defend the Nest mode! But we all should probably wear repellant all the time. My vet is quite concerned about ticks and their disease potential, even to people.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Gracye

You could wear longer shorts? Still shorts--but, say--to you knees? How far will ants travel?
Lycra, or other clingy fabric would definitely block any bugs getting"'up there"...

You could spray the outside of the fabric of the longer shorts you are wearing to repel any kind of bugs too.

I no longer wear shorts. hate my legs and thighs. Capri's is the limit for me.
The bugs still get me around my arms and shoulder areas as well as around my ankles.
I hate to slather insect repellant all over my extremities--as then my skin feels all sticky.

Maybe it is time to apply the mid-summer lawn fertilizer with the insect control in it?
Even though it is ONLY May! (well--almost June). Usually this is applied to one's lawn around July 4th.

Off topic!!!!...................................

I read today in Dr. Oz's column that if you do not want your underarms to smell you can dab them with Cider Vinegar--
which kills the bacteria that thrive on the oils in your sweat that creates that Sweaty Smell.
Who woulda known?????

Worth a try--so you may smell like pickles for a bit--but I am sure you could come up with some kind of excuse....

Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Chalk is the first remedy of choice, mostly because it is so surprising. Apparently, the little buggers do not like chalk, and if you draw a line around the room where you have ants, or the particular area of the room, they will not cross the line. It literally annoys them because the chalk dust sticks to their feet. Use regular chalk and draw away!

Squeeze lemon juice from actual lemons on the areas that the ants are invading. For example, squeeze the juice in the openings or holes they keep coming through, cracks in between the floor and wall, on windowsills and on any thresholds. This method will completely deter these insects and give your house a lemon-fresh scent.

Pouring baking soda in a line will stop the ants in their tracks. Baking soda works much the same as chalk because the ants will not cross this line. It will also deodorize your house as an extra bonus.

Vinegar is a common natural repellent for weeds. In fact, many gardeners spray vinegar in between sidewalk cracks. Vinegar can also be used to keep ants away. Simply use a spray bottle with a slim nozzle and spray around doorways or other openings that the insects continue to invade.

Copied the above from this site http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/58843.aspx I would think rubbing chalk on your hands then on legs or shoes wouldn't be too horrible. Think of gym class back in the day when you had gymnastics...LOTS of chalk on hands as I recall...although it's been a 'while.' LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

At one point when we were traveling to Nicaragua and I was afraid of getting malaria, we bought a bug repellant dip for clothing. I didn't use it -- but I still have it and keep meaning to. Maybe this summer. It also comes in a spray -- http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent-24-Ounce/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338617195&sr=8-1-fkmr2. $13.26 delivered. As I recall, it lasts for several washes. Anyway, if ants were biting me I'd definitely use it (though I don't know if it works on ants -- you'd need to check)!

Warrenton, VA

Hello and GOOD MORNING, All! Well, what a FUN thread! And how totally helpful! Kudos and many thanks to all of you for being such a support, and in real time, too! No messing around, you all cut to it, and no commercials! (LOL!)
I just read your thoughts to Hubby, and he just smiled away as he could see the delight on my face. He is very concerned about the environment, so your organic (and cheap I might add, and WILL) remedies are GREAT!
About the ant up the thigh. I was wearing those horrible-looking plastic (polyester) Carhart LONG LEG pants. Got them at the end of the year at Southern States. Just horrible, but indestructible.
I was lying on my side, on the ground. When I get "on a mission"...!
Chantell, when those ants come into my ktichen this summer (and they WILL, they WILL), I will surely get out the chalk and lemons. And I'm going on the Vinegar Mission today, when I rest up a bit, and think that SS has the BIG containers as I used to buy vinegar for my horses there, back in the day.
happy - jeese! Talk about hoarding! ROFL! Ever heard of an EXPIRATION DATE???!!! Oh you are so funny! The way you write, seemed like you bought that stuff "back in the day..."!

Is there a thread JUST FOR our Mid-Atlantic Zone with home-made (and there it is again, CHEAP) remedies? I'd love for there to be one. We could just go there instead of rumbling through all our musings...hahaha! Oh, did I mention that they need to be EFFECTIVE?!

You can always start a thread- cheap effective homemade remedies'...
I would much rather have chalk dust on me than liquid chemicals.
Use hand sanitizer as an emergency underarm 'aid' Alcohol in it is a known germicide! And hand sanitizer usually has a better scent than vinegar.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---haaa..haaa....just don't use alcohol right after you shaved your underarms.......OUCH!!!!

I imagine Vinegar would do the same thing. I am also sure that Dr. Oz does not shave his 'Pits'.

Chantelle--Thanks for all the great advice/links. Will print them out.....Gita

Warrenton, VA

My doctor, in horror at my leg (and arms and waist), told me that the doggone FIRE ANTS are now seen in Southern Virginia! Just a matter of time...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I was pretty dang excited to find that info myself!! We really had an issue with ants last year!
Powdered Chalk http://www.google.com/search?q=chalk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qN3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=gymnastic+chalk+powdered&oq=gymnastic+chalk+powdered&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.3...75954.79343.4.79711.13.11.2.0.0.1.1504.4602.0j2j3j1j2j0j1j0j1.10.0...0.0.ZBcXojCC9NY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a6f945cd1ca2913&biw=1600&bih=708
or Block Chalk http://www.google.com/search?q=chalk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&gs_nf=1&ds=pr&pq=chalk&cp=10&gs_id=1n&xhr=t&q=gymnastic+chalk&pf=p&client=firefox-a&hs=5L3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&oq=gymnastic+chalk&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a6f945cd1ca2913&biw=1600&bih=708
Purchased a shove (marketed as a kids shovel but with full size wood handle)l like Holly's photo up top from Southern States today along with ANOTHER bad of grit (tell me why someone stole the 25 lbs remaining of the grit I'd just purchased, little bit of potting soil left in a bag and all of my nursery pots of various sizes...ugh!!). This one seems much sturdier than the other one I'd picked up a couple of years ago at Wally World. LOVE these things..

This message was edited Jun 2, 2012 11:22 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

DE in it's natural form is effective against ants and other creepy crawly things. I just bought some for our crawlspace under the house. It is also effective on beetles as it gets under their carpice and cuts them. Pool filter DE is different and should not be used. It is based on silica and should not be inhaled but the results are report ably worth it. Ric

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have to say that as far as ants go, we tried just about every organic deterrent we could find, and after years of trying gave up and used heavy duty insecticides (got them on line) and finally have gotten them out of our house.

Sometimes you have to go heavy.
As a first line, Terro ant baits work well for me. Little clear plastic trays with bait liquid in them.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Saw an ant deterrent being sold online - mix of lavender and mint...mmm least things would smell purdy

hmm. Would be great to know if that really works!

Warrenton, VA

Back to the "Tools-which ones do you like or not" thread, here's a "tool" that I really cannot live without.
Dad taught me, so long ago, about the wonders of simple white cotton twine. Now, I truly believe that it is the duct tape of the garden world. No "improved" version is nearly as great, all-around, as your good ole white twine. I've spent money (allot) on newer versions, but swept them aside in my garden bag, looking in vain for the cotton twine.

Do you know that they came out with polyester twine? WHY? Probably someone's old "LEESURE suit" (remember those?)
And, as for that tree-hugging concept of the re-cycled plastic bag "twine," for cutting into lengths for tomatoes, well, it was horrible. Non-biodegradable (well, I guess in a million years or so), stretched outta shape badly and the tomatoes had their way with it (no joke!), making it basically useless, and then a couple of hard summer storms (what other season would you use it?) proved my previous points...and on and on...

What say you all?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I use the green stretchy tape for tying up most things and really like it. It wouldn't be strong enough for tomatoes though. I do keep a ball of white cotton string in the potting shed and do use it for other things. It makes a great support for Morning Glories. I used it to grow MG's on my daughters white picket fence. Just made a loop in one end and hung it over the picket top and let the MG grow up the string. Worked great and didn't show at all. I did the same thing years ago at my windows. Just hung a string up over the top of my window and let the MG's grow up it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, et al---

My favorite twine is the green Velcro twine. Cut it to any lengths you need.
Reusable--easily moved up or down--or removed--and only $2.37 a roll.

I am sure Lowes carries it as well. HD does.

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Velcro twine? I never heard of that -- sounds cool!

The Strelitzia coleup gave me had the Velcro stuff, nifty.
I might buy some of those, when I run out of pieces of straw bale twine that I scavenge from construction sites while walking the dog.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I brought the roll I got at HD to the swap to do a show and tell, but never got around to it. I like it because it is 1/2 inch wide and I can cut it to length. Replaces my use of old nylons, t-shirt strips or surveyors' tape!

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors-garden-center-landscaping-supplies-stakes-ties/45-ft-plant-tie-138786.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Cool stuff, I'll have to try it. Ric

Warrenton, VA

Yep, my morning glories are loving life with the support of the cotton twine. Guess I over-reached with the green plastic "twine" and the tomatoes...thanks, all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.