Tools, What tools do you like or not.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So Ric came home a couple of weeks ago with this little shovel. I took one look at it, sniffed and turned up my nose. He told me he thought I would like it, I let it be known that I could see no use for a shovel like that. Then a week or so later I realized that it was just about perfect to dig out suckers from my quince bush and trumpet vine. It would dig in deep and not disturb the plants near by. Much better than using my hand digging knife. Then I realized that it was just about perfect to dig up plants that I wanted to move or divide. I could get in close and work in the beds with it. Boy have I changed my mind and Ric's very thoughtful gift is very much appreciated. I have learned not to be a shovel snob and it is my newest favorite tool. In the second pic you can see how it sizes up to a regular size shovel.
BTW It is called a Flower Shovel.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

tee hee
I actually have one that size. Few years ago, Mark and the kids (well Mark, and they signed the tag) got me a couple nice tools for Xmas, things I might like but am too cripplingly cheap to buy. That size shovel was one. Yes it is handy. Better than trying to dig a perennial with a hand trowel,( and invariably taking too small a scoop.) Fits between things in the perennial beds.( If the big shovel fits there, I need more plants)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have one too -- I also have one the same size but with a handle about half the length. I use them both all the time.

I also have (somewhere) a "ditch" or "trench" shovel, with a very long and very narrow head, that I like a lot.

happy, as I posted I was wondering if a half length handle one would be very good too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yup. Great minds and all that.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, as I was reading through the threads this am Critter held forth on one of her and Happy's favorite tools. a soil knife.. I immediately thought "wow, an electric knife blade with a handle, just what Sally needs!"

This is what Critter said
"Happy, LMK before you place that order with AM Leonard's... seems I always have something I "need" from there. I haven't used the type of soil knife you're looking at, but I can highly recommend their classic soil knife (with the orange handle)... and it looks like they have an improved/deluxe version now also. I haven't found anything better for certain tasks where you really need a tool that stabs, pries, and cuts -- like dividing daylily and hosta clumps. I got mine as a gift from a college buddy who's a fanatic fantastic gardener... didn't get a sheath and haven't missed it. I tend to neglect my tools, so I also appreciate that this one is rugged stainless steel."

And here is a link: http://www.amleo.com/Leonard+Deluxe+Stainless+Steel+Soil+Knife/p/4752/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

AM Leonard has a variety of soil knives at a variety of price points. Let me know if you want me to order you anything -- I'm going to place an order in the next day or so.

coleup, nice of you to think of me!

I like how jill called her friend fanatic/fantastic...and admitted she neglects her tools. Me too. I like to leave trowels in various handy spots, not put away in the shed! All tools should come with orange handles. I have a 'nice' Martha Stewart clipper from Kmart- in lovely muted green and grey handle- so easy to lose!

No thanks happy, I am back on the budget plan for a bit.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I ought to be on the budget plan too, of course. I'm just not as disciplined as you ....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have one of those little shovels as well. Been sitting in my shed--for years now--never used...
I also have a similar, small rake and cultivator (with a broken handle).
I must have been on a "small tools" kick about 20 years ago???

Should try using them again--save my aching back a bit....

My most-used garden tool is a very strong, narrow hand shovel.
If I misplace it--stuck in a bed somewhere--I am not a happy camper.
The handle is dirt-color--so not easily found....

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Sally, I see that library work is keeping your financial books neater, too! Maybe budget busters should have orange handles, and tools come with what ever device it is to locate TV remotes and such. I'm just glad to have refound my favorite nippers with the 'bark" colored handles while pulling out garlic mustard over the weekend.

Happy, I think the soil knife you linked on swap thread has a longer blade than the one above which would be better IMO especially for tree roots and those I'll get to it next year plant divisions!

Gita just curious, what do you use on those infamous norway maple roots of yours?

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 9:46 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: There is a "dip" available somewhere that will cover your tool handles, both protecting them and coloring them. Here is one: http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Dip-Intl-11603-6-Plasti-Dip/dp/B0000DD1PF/ref=pd_cp_hi_2. I have never used it, but I'd be tempted. I keep losing tools in the dirt.

That would make a great "swap" project! We could all bring our aging favorite tools and rejuvenate them.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

coelup---

Every spring--I need to dig up and add some better soil to any bed I want to plant
anything in, in my back yard beds.
And--it is always a struggle pulling up all those fine feeder roots (some bigger ones too)
as they ALSO like all the better stuff I add every year.

I use either a digging fork, or my regular shovel.
The shovel is stronger and cuts through the roots. The fork, by now, is not worth diddly!

WHY? It is a Craftsman--guaranteed for life. (HA!!). I just made my 3rd trip back to Sears to get a new one,
as the handle on the one I had started twisting back and forth--sideways--only a year later.
Every time I get a new one--it is crappier than the previous one.

Just went about 2 weeks ago and got a replacement. it felt much lighter-weight than the one I was
returning. The salesman acknowledged that their tools are not the greatest. I appreciated that!
He also said--"See you back in a few weeks"....funnnny!

Digging out some of the roots yesterday--one of the tines already bent backwards.
Theirs all have fiberglass handles. One actually broke off in my hands a couple years ago.
Next one I get will have a sturdy, wood handle.

I think I will forgo the Free replacements at Sears and buy one somewhere else.
There is one we sell at HD that looks very sturdy and has a life-time guarantee....$$$$
Just not sure how easy it would be to, actually, get a replacement. Would have to go through
the manufacturer--I think.
I could also go to "Harbor Freight" or to "Tractor Supply" and see what they have.

Now--I realize that ALL my tools get a heavier work-out than average. Sometimes, I have to put my whole
body weight on the fork when digging--and that's a lot of weight--and the root still does not "give".
I think that is how the tine got bent.

OK! Gotta go back outside and get more planting done. Gita

Last standard size round point shovel I got was from a big box and cost no more than $5. Can't beat it and hardly worth worrying about either. And still going strong after a few years.

Now, I do need to go look for a replacement HANDLE for a small but heavy duty, hand held hoe sort of thing. From ACE longtime ago, for $20 and very heavy duty but of course I rotted out the handle by leaving it in the weather.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---

I forgot to also mention what my other Favorite Garden Tool is---
That being that small, soft, hand-rake thing you brought as a Gift Table thing at
a previous Seed Swap. Like a hand-leaf-rake.....
I had chosen a 4-tier of boxes--but when I found out they were all chocolates--
I went for a second choice----your little hand rake.

Man! I LOVE it--when it comes to reaching into beds and raking out dried leaves and other junk
without harming any of the vegetation growing in there.
I have never seen one of these in any stores--but, then, I am limited as to where i shop for garden tools.

HD? Lowes? Big Lots(???)....Good Stuff Cheap ??? I seldom shop on-line???
I believe it is the "greed" of the shipping costs that keeps me from doing so.

I have coupons for discounts at "Ace"---just at the end of my street, 1mi. away.
Will have to go see what quality garden tools they have.
G.

Glad you like it!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I got a long handled shrub rake last year. It has a longer handle than my regular rakes and it is narrow to get into small areas. I like it alot.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--YES! Like the 1st one you posted.
Very handy--as if you are crawling around your beds this works great.

If you are upright--the other one works great...

AND--they are gentle on the vegetation.

Morrisville, PA

Sometime ago I bought a short shovel with a square blade. Can't remember why I bought it at the time, but I now find it invaluable. As so many have pointed out, a small shovel fits places that a larger shovel will just cause problems, yet digs perennials that a trowel can't handle (was breaking at least one or two trowels a season). It provides excellent leverage when I am working on my knees. It is perfect for stripping sod to prep new beds. I recently saw a Dewit hand spade at the garden store. About two feet long with a T-handle ... I loved the feel and balance. Dewit tools are expensive but last forever ... the hand spade is coming home with me on my next trip to the garden store.

I also love my "Cape Cod weeder." I hate weeding, but this thing makes it a bit easier.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been thinking of looking for a sod shovel especially as I was doing a good bit of that yesterday. I always think I don't really need one but every year I did up more grass for some reason. I know we will put down more pathways in the future so I should really get one now to finish what I was working on. I also like those narrow trench shovels. I bet I could put one of those to good use as well.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I saw it on HGTV. They did a show on perennial grasses and for cutting out the dead center and dividing clumps they used a sawzall or a reciprocating saw. I've tried it and it works great. Ric

Warrenton, VA

Gitagal, Where was your Craftsman Fork made? I've learned that things made in China just do not have the same "umph" quality as those made in the good ole U.S.A. I am preferring those made in our Country. They do seem to hold up better for me.
I am into birds, so buy products for them (feeders), and have learned that some labels are VERY TRICKY about saying they were "hand-crafted" in the U.S.A., or the company is based in a certain state, but this does NOT mean the same as MADE IN THE USA. I wonder if conditions for use, in other countries, match ours, you know?
I do not mean to offend, just to state that I am learning how important reading the label has become to me.
A friend once told me that, if the product that I bought works well, and causes no grief, it was the right price (I was lamenting about the cost of a custom saddle). She was right.
I am shocked at how products have changed - how you cannot depend on their name as you once did. :(
OK! Now off my soapbox! For now, that is!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yepper - I have a similar shovel as well. It was actual marketed at Walmart as a kid's gardening tool. Is wood and metal - like a regular one. It is one of my favorite tools to work with. Saves my back and legs as well.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

And Holly thought it was funny when I pulled it out of the truck, tee hee! Ric

Warrenton, VA

Can anyone give advice on a rake that is handy around closely-planted shrubs with mulch, that has a layer of that black landscape fabric underneath? I don't want it to destroy all my work with the fabric, but I want something a bit less wieldy than the regular bamboo leaf rake or less "diggy" than the metal straight garden rake. What about those weird new-type of rakes? You know, the "squashed" circular-types?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a shrub rake. It is rather long handled, not very broad so it is good in small spaces. I really like it for tight spaces.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I do too -- I love it. This is the one I have, though I didn't spend this much for it: http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9661-8-Inch-Shrub-Rake/dp/B000F97DZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338160880&sr=8-1

Warrenton, VA

Thank you! Weird looking, huh! I'll keep my eyes open for one!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the one I got at Lowes. It isn't good for big areas as it isn't very wide but it is great for tight areas
http://www.lowes.com/pd_288184-302-1921000_0__?productId=1081281&Ntt=shrub+rake&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dshrub%2Brake&facetInfo=

Warrenton, VA

Thank you so MUCH for your advice! Now, I can tell you what I SENT BACK, and just could not like at all. THe Fiskars brand grass shears. Total piece of____. I spent much more money at my local "Mom & Pop" nursery and bought the electric (uses a battery so you separate it from the power cord before you go outside) shears by Black & Decker. Used them all last year - have to watch the charging issue, and just bought a new set of blades. But, all in all, I love them. Nice weight for a lady, and although I dearly miss those cranky grass shears of my youth (I think they were not SAFE enough to reproduce but the Fiskars seemed to come close), I like plunging them into the edge of my grass and taking the whole weed away from the earth.

Black and Decker (good old Baltimore company) has a couple things that all use the same batttery. We have the dust buster and the weed whacker. We love that the battery is interchangeable. I wonder if your shears are of the same line.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ooooo LIKE the looks of that hand rake

Warrenton, VA

Another impulse buy of mine is an edger. You know, it has a long handle, and one side of the flat-side, curved blade, has a ledge to step on. It is kinda like one of those Japanese kitchen tools that you see occasionally on TV cooking shows.
Anyhoo, no good. Not for me at least. I bought a high-quality one, too. But I get pretty mad at it pretty fast. It is only for well-groomed, yuppie yards, methinks. I live at the base of a mountain, with all the little rocks that this kind of living brings, and that tool just balks and does not even try to work around the rock. It just says: "Ugh! A Rock! Beneath my lot in Life!" I swear it does.
I find myself grabbing a good ole shovel for the annual edging job around my fairly new trees that were professionally planted (speaking of yuppie). And all along the foundation planting (also started by the pros for me)...an old, fat tree root is occasionally stumbled upon, and the shovel will try to do battle, rather than throw a flag and retreat immediately. Do you all have similar experiences?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I got one of those, too. I bought it years ago when I wanted to put in landscaping timbers around the pool. I wanted a nice sharp cut and it did do that but it was pretty time consuming and I haven't really used it since. I borrowed Josh's roofing shovel to see if it would work to remove sod. It didn't really work well for that but it did a great job cutting the edge of what I wanted to remove. Then I took my flat shovel and worked it under the sod and it came apart right at the edge where I scored the ground with the teeth of the roofing shovel.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1386803 I don't think I would buy one of these for gardening but it did a nice job for me. I am sure there is a better garden shovel for this work.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ryobi has a good line of construction and outdoor cordless tools, all using the same battery. It's the same battery design they've used for years. Smart shopping, you can even find factory rebuilds with new warranties. http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/outdoor_products/cordless Ric

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I bought myself a digging fork last year and absolutely use that for digging up large plants; I swear by it. Easier to use than a shovel..easier on the old back too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Is a digging for the same as a pitchfork, or smaller? I love our pitchfork for compost, etc., but it is big...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy---

Here is a picture of a digging fork. http://www.groworganic.com/forged-digging-fork.html

And here is a Pitch Fork. Had a hard time finding a "typical" one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J160S6/ref=asc_df_B005J160S62030858?smid=ARZEG26O0O9M7&tag=nextagusmp0395399-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B005J160S6

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.