(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 134 votes:

I always wear a hat.
(14 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I wear gloves. (what kind?)
(43 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Clogs in the summer, boots in the winter.
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

No shoes at all for me!
(16 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Some of the above.
(44 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(12 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Crocs. Can't live without them. Worn with short socks when it is cool or wet.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I have never been able to stand wearing a hat. It annoys me too much. I have difficulty keeping my glasses on for the same reason and I also cut labels out of clothing because they irritate me as well. I wear gloves about half the time, depending on the chore. Gloves make my wrists itch. I wear flip flops in summer and most of what we call winter and crocks with wool socks if it is really cold. Wool is the only fiber I know that insulates even when wet. 'Hard to find wool socks anymore.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Try bamboo socks...really soft and extremely warm. (not sure about the 'warm when wet' though)

(Zone 7a)

(giggle) I have this funny visual...

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

None of the above. I wear a hat hiking or at the beach but not gardening. I only wear gloves when I work on the rose bushes. I like to feel what I'm doing. Tennis shoes summer or "winter". Never bare feet. Ouch!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

You only wear gloves! I hope those rose bushes are in your back yard LOL.
I try to always wear gloves (gardening) as my hands get soooo dry.
I should wear a hat, being a redhead, but I get hot in a hat.
My friend tease me about my little brown shoes, but I wear my light weight boots everywhere!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from Domehomedee :
You only wear gloves! I hope those rose bushes are in your back yard LOL.
!

LOL!

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Sunglasses!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

At least flip flops (so I don't track dirt in the house), gloves and sunglasses.
At the garden center, where I work, close toed shoes (required by the company), gloves (when I remember), sunglasses and in the summer, a wide brimmed hat.
And so Domehomedee doesn't tease me, pants and a top. At both places..... ;)
Barb

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Gloves atlas 370 best glove I have ever found.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Riverland - same here! I have pairs in each car, greenhouse, and two at work.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Always bare feet or flip flops.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hat when at work due to the sun burning up the asphalt, no gloves-hate em, clogs when at home so I can easily slip in and out of them and sunglasses when the sun annoys me! lol

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I only wear leather gloves while I trimming the trees and roses...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Garden clogs (not as comfy as crocks but waterproof) and sometimes gloves depending on what I'm doing that day.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

knee pads most of the time, also...

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I always wear a hat, it keeps the sweat out of my eyes and protects my scalp due to thinning hair. I wear gloves or not, depending on the chore at hand and the type of glove also depends on the chore. Sunglasses are a must and footwear is always Crocs, either the clogs or a pair of hikers if I'll be using a shovel or mowing. The Croc hikers are so comfy I bought a second pair to take on my European cruise.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i always wear a hat and i wear gloves most of the time. hat has a wide brim. the gloves are nitrile touch atlas brand (like wearing no gloves at all) and i slip leather gloves over them if i'm dealing with something thorny. shoes are usually tom's but i have a pair of ariat side zip paddock boots for "real" garden work.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Atlas gloves, usually a hat, barefoot whenever possible. Sunscreen. Can't abide the look or feel of plastic shoes, although as noted above they have a huge following. Absolutely love my Skiller garden pants, canvas with knee pads, tons of tool pockets. Oh yeah, and lately I've added lightweight wrist guards to my garden wardrobe, sigh...

Paradise, CA(Zone 9a)

I never wear a hat, as others have said, they're itchy and uncomfortable! I try to wear gloves, but end up wearing them about half the time because I like to be able to feel what I'm doing. Mechanix brand gloves are pretty thin but still protective, so I do wear those sometimes- especially around roses :). I never wear clogs, just flip flops or barefoot most of the year, or tennis shoes during the coldest months. Sunglasses in the backyard sometimes, but the front yard is very shady most of the day. A casual summer dress or shorts and a tank most of the time, or yoga pants and a sweatshirt during the cold months. Jeans, and t-shirt, and lightweight boots when digging big holes or using power tools though!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Gloves atlas 370 best glove I have ever found.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Agreed...If you've not used those Atlas 370's, you're missing out. I can pick up seeds and handle small seedlings easily with mine.

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Gloves - Ethel gloves. I wear them so much I develop tan lines on my wrists!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I almost never wear a hat, though I know I should. Just too hot and seem to always be in the way. I never used to wear gloves, either, as I couldn't find ladies' gloves with long enough fingers, and men's gloves were too wide. Then I discovered the Atlas nitrile gloves, and I almost always wear them now. I can feel everything, even plant seeds with them on, but they protect my hands.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Gotta wear a hat to keep ticks outta the hair, 'cause I live in the woods. I love my fox gloves that fit like a second skin so I can pull the tiniest weeds.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Not fashion & unseen, but I always wear sunscreen. Otherwise, I'm wearing gloves, sunglasses, cap w visor, & worn jeans, shorts, or capris (depending on the temps) with big pockets. I need the big pockets; even if it's an apron or jacket; for tissue, cell phone, reading glasses, etc... I like to wear my old "water" shoes in warm weather. In cooler weather, I wear old sneakers with socks. Add the tattered faded t-shirts, and I do look pretty raggedy. Most importantly, I always wear a BIG SMILE. : )

Brookfield, CT

Life is short. Garden in your PJ's and slippers.

LOL, Nixta, yep, done that, too. You step out just to admire the garden, and lo and behold, there's a weed or two that calls your name!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ticks ... ack! They are really bad around here this year. :(

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I never wear a hat, gloves depends on the job what kind I use...guess I'll have to get me a pair of those Atlas ones, and on my feet old sneakers, Adidas soccer sandals or barefoot

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it's funny because you can see the parts of the country where people feel free to garden bare-footed...can't do that with any comfort in the south...fire ants will get you! LOL

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Im 1 of the barefoot people and Im in the South LOL. My ex was obsessed with getting rid of the fire ants since we split Ive never treated for them and now I hardly ever see them. Now I have problems with snails and slugs tho. Ive lived here for almost 20 yrs and this is my second year dealing with slugs and snails. I still think they are better then fire ants but scorpins are a whole other issue.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i wish you had a secret you could share to explain your absence of fire ants! lol

So much for my zone envy of the deep south...yikes!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I've only had fire ants once. I wonder if it's because of our proximity to the ocean (2 blocks)?
Barb

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I like the idea of gardening in your PJ's. Maybe I'd have a decent pair of pants to wear out and about then, LOL.
Fireants . . . makes me glad I'm in California with the black widow spiders.
And thanks for the info on "good" gloves. I've always been a soft leather girl but I'm willing to try something diffferent and less expensive!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i doubt it, barbie. when i lived in the keys, the fire ants had mounds next to the water line. when tide would come in, they flooded and they'd march right back when the tide went out.

Here are the foxgloves I was referring to--not cheap, but worth it:
http://shop.foxglovesinc.com/category_s/42.htm

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

ACK! I got a pair of those (or similar) for my husband whose arthritis was making it hard for him to prune his roses! He lost them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.