Haworthias anyone?

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Although I'm a very new member, I too have not mastered the trade procedure. Anyway, I have about 350 haworthias and I have about 4 flats of offsets to trade, along with a few mesembs. If interested, please e-mail.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Patrick, Welcome to DG!!!

Clarksville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Patrick, I am from New Albany, Indiana. Welcome. I am a new cacti and succulent grower, I think, well I have some. Don't know what they all are. I am interested in some/one of the haworthias. email me. thanks. DebK

Valley Village, CA

Hi Patrick, I have Howorthia growing out of their pots. About 250 speceis to date. Most with excellent documentation. I'm sure willing to trade. I can only use documentated material. Patrick, will you please put on propogation tips for the Hawothia species, now is the time am I correct. We do have a propagation tip link on this forum. Thanks, and
Welcome Patrick. Norma

Valley Village, CA

By the way folks, Patrick is a master gardner.

Valley Village, CA

Patrick, will you please start a thread on Haworthia, a new voice needs to be heard from. Thanks, Norma

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Norma -- I will be starting a thread on haworthias soon -- mesembs too if there is enough interest. As for the haworthias I have for trade, nearly all have location data. I have a number of emelyaes, truncatas and magnificas. I'll get a list to you soon. As for propagation tips for haws, that too is coming REAL soon. Sorry to be so vague but I have 34 acres to put to bed. Hopefully, some of this info will be put together this week-end. Time to go back outside. Patrick

Valley Village, CA

Patcick, I'm envious, I wish I could have 1 please. Thanks, Norma

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Norma -- which one? What's most important to your collection? Do you have a "spare" H. limifolia var. gigantea MBBsn. west of Pongola? Or H. limifolia var. striata? I gave them away, albeit reluctantly, to someone who had admired them for several years.
Patrick

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Norma -- And by the way, I'M envious of your locale and collection. I getting more and more interested in aloes, provided I can keep my mitts off 'em during the winter. Treat them like lithops, I guess. Patrick aka "fuzzy"

Valley Village, CA

Patrick, I have both plants that you mentioned. Now I need to go out and check my data. I don't believe that I have an extra. But again, I need to check, perhaps the plant will honor me with an offset. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I do have extra of my British Gem H. limifolia v. keithii
Norma

Valley Village, CA

I was told my H.linfoloia striata is not of the best, I would dearly love to have a much better clone, I have also been told that it will get better with age. They are supposed to be quite slow. I just potted it up this year, it really filled a threee inch pot. I had to cut the pot to get it out. If I get to go to England next year I will check with Joyce Cozzosa to see if she has a better clone.

Im actually afraid to try to start it from a leaf. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Patrick, you asked me a question, "what is most important in my collection" They are all dear to me. Some are more rare than others, but I wouldn't remove from my collection the common JRB plants, the plants that were given to me from Jack Catlin, Mary Parisii,Bob Kent, or Joyce, common or not. I have beautiful hybrids, and several others that don't even have documentation. Like children they are all equal in my eyes. Norma

Olympia, WA

oh boy to here you guys go on and on about your babies makes me so jealous. it's always interesting i guess to find out how little i really know and find others who do. the way you two keep spouting it off just leaves me in awe. it's one of those conversations you sit in and just smile, nod, uh huh, really, smile, and just accept that it's all over your head. however what's not quite over my head is patrick did you mention in the begining something about having hawortias? i am going into a succulent withdrawl craving and would really like to acquire some please. oh yes and welcome too!!!
quynh

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome Patrick - you have mail!! I love Hawarthias, wish you had some pictures.

Valley Village, CA

If any of you can get to Cal. I would be glad to introduce you to Jack Catlin, who has the late JRB Haworthia collection which is very famous (1700) plants. He is getting up in years, would love the company, and his knowledge is valualable. I would love to take a along a tape recorder. Then put the tape in our CSSA Library that is housed at the Huntington, which you will invited to visit. I have at least three nurseries at my back door, and another 15 up or down our coast approx. 2 hrs away. I live and work in heaven, however, we do have earth quakes, floods, and other disasters, nothing is perfect. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Guynh, join us, lets chat it up a bit. I have been doing Haworthia about 6 years, at first they all looked alike, even some do now. It's not my favorite species, but I am learning. My collection is not considered large by any standards, but working at the Huntington has given me priviledges others just don't have, I have met so many people there who are the real growers. Some are more difficult than others (the plants, not the people) many of mine are starting to lose their roots, so I'm just removing them from the soil letting them dry out a bit, then I'll remove all the old shriveled roots and repot in about a month when I see the new ones growing. Are you interested in this species? I also have extras, some of which I lost the names, but they are species, that really came with documentation probably from the Huntington Gardens.
Where did you get your first Haworthia, mine came from
Rainbow Gardens. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Patrick, how do I get a plant out a plastic pot. It has three holes filled up with new starts, and don't want to break these off. This one is Haw. venossa tesselata simplex
ISI 92-51 HBG 71218 It sure doesn't look like it's other cousins in the complex. I really need to get plant out and save those babies. Nomra

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Norma, I know you asked Patrick this question, but have you thought of trying to cut the pot or braaking it away from the babies? Even If you break off some of the babies, If they are any size, you can probably root them.

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Norma -- If you haven't already, just cut the pot with shears or old scissors or break with a small hammer if it's clay. Azalea is right in that they should root even if broken off but with a little effort, you should get some great roots. Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I just got back from Tucson. Bought more mesembs and aloes. Guess I'll have to sell the van for the trip to southern CA!!

Valley Village, CA

What finally did happen, was for me to heat up a paring knife and cut the plastic pot like butter, was able to just slid out the plant, babies and all. I have also used small rubber mallets to loosen up the soil in pots in order to get the plants out, I just hit them all around the sides. Formaly I just used by fist, but as I got older my wrist started to bother me. I don't have my mallets at home, that is why I was puzzled on how to do this without injurying the babies. Thanks all, any other suggestions would be appreciated. I don't have strength in my hands to just squeese the pot, or roll it on the potting bench.
Norma

Valley Village, CA

Jody,Azalea,Juynh and I know I left someone out. Now is your time to get in on this, and get a few offsets of the Haworthia species. Tell us what species you are growing now. Would you like to trade. Patrick is starting a new thread, we just might be able to start an Email Robbin and get more of you out there to join in. Patrick and I would welcome all of you.If we don't ask questions we won't learn. Norma

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry, I would love to tell you what species I have, but I just really don't know it's name. I only have a couple of babies. That's why I would like more. The one I have I think is common, pointy petels with horizontal white stripes, about 2 inches tall.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

This message was edited Tuesday, Nov 27th 7:12 AM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Hey Patrick, I have three together of Haworthias and please tell me about this and nothing know about this plants and been have for three years and never gor big always stay the same size when I bought it had so small and pretty one now three together and what can I do with the plants to make bigger and does it has flower too? Please tell me about it ok thank you! RedRose

PS Let you know had a photo at id. so u can see what it look like what I have mine ok thanks again.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Now I know what kind I have they are called (common name) Zebra Haworthia.

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

It's a zebra haworthia Redrose. I answered your questions in the identification forum. The latin names are in there too. All the answers apply to Azalea's plant also.
Patrick

Valley Village, CA

This is a wonderfull nursery that I have done business for years, strictly mail order. All plants are documentated, grown from seeds or offsets, ethical, and fair priced.
She has a catalogue on line,
Http://www.The Amateurs Digest.com/burks.htm
or Loisburks@aol.com

Haworthia, Gasteria Norma

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I'll gladly join in on this conversation..being from Canada, I would love to purchase some of your Haws...so many problems,,particularly Ag. Canada!!!!!!!!! do Haworthias set bloom???this one is new to me..R.Rose

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hey Crasulady, thanks! Sorry I haven't responded, I have been away for quite some time. I do not actually have any haws, heh heh. I am fascinated with succulents and read this forum frequently and have learned lots from you and others. But honestly the only succulents that I really collect and grow are sedums, because they are hardy for me to plant outside. I would love to have lots of other succulents but just don't have the space in the house or greenhouse as of yet, though hopefully some day I will.

Valley Village, CA

Azelia, Jody,1601 (Rose)gang,I can't mail into Canada, I'm sorry, now if the rest of you would like cuttings of whatever, please just email me and ask if I have an extra. I would like you to send the postage with the request however. I mail out about 250 packages a year, so you will know why postage is requested, priority mail is $3.95 at this time. I would rather send it regular mail, it is cheaper, that will depend on how many cuts are included in the box. I don't send soil, most will have a label written on yellow paper so it won't add up the weight, they are wraped in newspaper, so they won't rot and keep warm.
I do not sell plants. Norma

Clarksville, IN(Zone 6a)

Norma, I am interested in any extras that you may have. If you are not going to mail priority, please give me the amount of postage. Also, there is a cacti/succulent I would like to send you for identification and to keep. please email me your addy and I will send it out. DebK

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Norma Thanks so much for the offer. You are very kind and looks like you are an enabler too, lolololol. 250! wow!!! Perhaps in the spring I can repay the favor with a variety of sedums for ya? Just say the word.

Valley Village, CA

Patrick, Just got a new Hawothia that this much better than my orginial, HA387 Haw. limifolia v. striata frm Lois Burk's
if any of you are interested you may email her at Loisburks@aol.com This plant came pronto, perfect, no tip damage, well packed,nice sized. This one is not cheap but well worth the money, even if I did save up all my pennies to get it. WOW It rates a 10+ WOW
Now the next step is to get the peel the leaves and get them to strick down. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Patrick has a health problem and has informed me that he will be off the forum until further notice. I wish he well, and a speedy recovery.

I hope I will be able to help on this thread. Perhaps we all need to pitch in. More voices need to be heard. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Now is the time to separate your Haworthia. You may also start them from leaf. Be careful how you tear them off. Take the plant out of the soil, and gently pull off, side ways, the lowest 4 leaves, making sure you take them in order, get some stem if you can, just a thin cuticle will do. Set them sideways into the soil and wait,just keep them damp.
The flowers which I think are ugly are starting to come up this time of year. I take mine off because they are messy and I don't want them to cross pollinate, also I believe the plant will do better, the flowers sap the plants strength. These are actually difficult to pollinate by hand, but if you want to try for seed use a cat's whisker, brush, or piece of plastic from the shade cloth, next pull down the two lower leaves to expose the parts and find the pollen to fertilize. It should take a very short time for the overies to puff up, about a week. To harvest the seed make sure the fruit is completly dry, (they will turn tan) I tape mine closed so I won't lose any seed until they are ready. Take off carefully and plant within 2 weeks. Now the next part I'm not good at all, and if any of you has had luck, please explain to the rest of us. Jon Dixon did that several months ago I believe you can find it on the next page in my propagation hints. He explains it so well.

Valley Village, CA

Patrick, I hope you are reading this. I'm trying hard.

I just took out a Haworthia dated 1994 Haw. xiphiophylla ex. W. Minnich. I know I paid $5.00 for it then it had four heads. I divided it immediately and gave them to friends. Now it is 2001-2 and I noticed that the plant looked a little funny, the leaves were turning brown.

This plant has narrow leaves, whispy tips, bristles, (teeth) on the margins, and 4 heads, oh yes, light green in color, the outside leaves are red. Sure enough the old roots have rooted off and the new roots are coming down. So I turned the plant up side down cleaned out the old roots and leaves, got a sharp knife and cut the plant in two, right through the base as I had done in 1994, being able to keep some roots on each head. Now a new cycle begins for the plant. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.