2012 Plant and White Elephant Swap

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

I was looking at the crinum seedlings I planted last year. I have enough of them to keep a couple of each type for myself and still have a dozen or so extras. They are in 4 inch pots and probably are ready to be transplanted to a larger & deeper pot. I use the 3 liter plastic soda bottles for growing crinum bulbs, they're just about the right size and are slightly deeper than a 1gal nursery pot.

Here's a tray with some of the year old seedlings I'll bring. I'll bring a couple larger potted crinum bulbs also.

Thumbnail by RandyRick
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Kris, thanks for the offer of the Banksia rosia. I am so excited! I read up on it and it seems the white ones, like mine, are Lady Banks and the yellow are species roses known as yellow Banksias. So much the better, IMO. I might beg Digger to root some cuttings for me and try some on my own.

Randy, we will make you a deer resistant package. As for Crinums, I'm hoping for one but afraid I might not do it justice. Mine looks good but no signs of a bloom happening. Maybe it is not mature enough?

Oh, Kris,and by the way, are your yellow Banksias singles or doubles? Either one is nice but just curious.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I may make a visit to your roundup. I sure would like to know more about that Climbing euonymous.

I will probably knock Mike from the stage on the Coleus as I may have about 50 leftover from my ncfarms plug order. They should be a foot and a half in a month.

The list. Nearly all annuals. I could definitely use some Perennials

Have

(3) Coleus colors approx 50 total
Trailing Petunias - Taken by Laurel 5/22
Milkmaid Nasturtium
Mums- 5. Harvest color unless I find a new place for them.
Blue Star Creeper - Taken by Laurel 5/22
White Star Creeper

Want

Any hostas with small leaves, variegated - no miniature
Ditch lilies - yes!
yellow lady banks - looks very nice
Anything perennial
tricyrtistoadlilies - from holyhosta

"I have plenty of shade-loving plants" I need to talk with you!

Incidentally...anything anybody will think can grow here. 5th picture. It's always dry, drains super fast, full sun, and rocky. (has irrigation this year) I gave up on it last year. Hence the surrender flag. I will also need 3 inch pots to replace the ones I will bring with many of the plants.

This message was edited May 22, 2012 6:28 AM

Thumbnail by kdfisher Thumbnail by kdfisher Thumbnail by kdfisher Thumbnail by kdfisher Thumbnail by kdfisher

Ken, I am making ten or twelve hanging baskets for daughter's wedding and anything that can go in a basket, especially the petunias are most welcome. I would also like blue star creeper. I'll take a photo of the climbing euonymous before leaving. I planted three cuttings against the posts of that ugly equipment shed years ago because I tired of planting annual vines each year. It is not only evergreen but small birds convert it to a condominium come spring and larger birds love the berries in summer.

The previous owner here had planted gazillions of ditch lilies to retain the banks. The house was abandoned for years before we bought it and by then the lilies had traveled up and onto the small amount of level ground on our lower banks. I have to mow them to keep the paths clear. You are welcome to as many as you care to dig (that would be thousands). A suggestion for your rocky area is gooseneck loosestrife. It's fast spreading and thus considered invasive by some but it is also easy to pull. I love the look of the plant and it's so pretty in bloom. There is a peak bloom period but it continues for a month or more. It prefers wet and part shade but is more tame in dry sun. I'll try to get a photo of that too today.

P.S. Cut and paste your post over to the plant trade thread so it won't be missed. I am adding you to our guest list and look forward to seeing you this year.
Laurel

This message was edited May 20, 2012 8:28 AM

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Maybe I overlooked it, but I do not see this RU in the list of RU's. I may have read, but cannot remember where this RU is located. An hour from Doraville could be a lot of places.

Goldahill, the information is in the first post. We are located seven miles east of downtown Cleveland, Ga. I DM the exact location and contact info the week before to those who are coming. This is because a previous RU we hosted was posted on another gardening site by a former DG member as an open invitation to all Georgia gardeners and then some. The result was a lot of unpleasantness. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tok=HXb7ff6JMOlfy0rnT0DCFA&pq=climbing+euonymus&cp=12&gs_id=1q9&xhr=t&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=622&q=cleveland+georgia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x885f45f59180b45d:0xc3956117daf6c016,Cleveland,+GA&gl=us&ei=H_O4T7XhOa6HsAKMxICLDA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&sqi=2&ved=0CLgBELYD

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Goldahill - I also have millions of the orange ditch lilies and I will be happy to bring you boxes of them! They are great for erosion.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Thanks, but I do not need any ditch lilies. I live at an old homesite and they are everywhere. They are in bloom and gorgeous right now.

Ok with the directions/address maypoplaurel! Just wanted to know city right now.

Goldhillal, I think Sterling meant kdfisher (Ken). He posted right before you. The ditch lilies are looking beautiful in bloom in our area too. As for directions, glad you can get oriented. We're close to major highways and an easy drive from all Georgia points

Sterling, I have more than enough to go around. Don't you bring anymore! lol

I could use ditch lilies. We have about a 1/2 acre area I would Luke to fill with them. Any ideas on a good plant to line a 175 ft. Driveway????

I will bring about 2 dozen cuttings of my lady banks,, I think it is a double bloom? Not sure as it bloomed the first time for me this year and I only saw the blooms one day. The rose bush is at my old house...

I can use anything would love anything to attract butterflys

I have rose campion that is good for sunny dry spots, so Ken might like that and Mud_Elf, it attracts butterflies. I can give plants and see. The plants are biennial so the grow one year and bloom the next. They are easy to grow from seed. I have Thai basil, Siam Queen that is loved by butterflies, honey bees and bumbles. It has a strong anise flavor and is wonderful for cooking. I'll think on the driveway. If it's a narrow drive I'd keep the plants low or else they'll close in the space.

Photo #1 Rose campion
Photo #2 Gooseneck loosestrife not yet in bloom
Photos#2-3 Climbing euonymous before it's annual prunning. If you keep it to a few main stems it gets a tree-like form but can be pruned almost flush to its support.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Drive way is wide, so height is no problem. Thinking that dayliles should be fine.

In that case prepare to dig because I've got enough to do both sides. Maybe Sterling can save you a bit of work by bringing some of hers but I'd be most grateful if you'd remove some of what is growing in the wrong places. I can't blame the lilies for being uncontrollable. Part of the problem is that the property was so eroded and overgrown with blackberries and wisteria that we had to have heavy equipment do a little regrading. The earth moving relocated the lilies to unwanted sites.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

If you have room for small trees, I like crepe myrtle. There are lots of colors to choose from, has almost no pests (Jap beetles like but do not do that much harm) , and will survive a bomb with only min of care. They make a nice shade as they get older. Do not prune, though. That crepe murder is simple awful. After the first 2 years, choose 2/3 stems and begin training into a tree form. They are in bloom for months. They root so easy you can just choose colors you like and take cuttings and they root so easy.
And, daylilies would look good under planted. a great carefee border.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

"P.S. Cut and paste your post over to the plant trade thread so it won't be missed..."

I thought this was the right thread??

Climbing euonymous? Variegated? It looks like a tree in your pics. Oh, never mind,

Gooseneck loosestrife? Sounds good

Ken, brain burp here. :) You can check out the Euonymous when you come. It gets to looking like a tree if not pruned. We only prune ours once a year because it acts as our garage doors. Well sort of. It's not the variegated one but I have a golden euonymous that is a yellow and green variegated shrub form and you are welcome to cuttings of that. They are easy to get going. The gooseneck loosestrife is there for the digging.

Dahlonega, GA

Randy , just saw your thread on crinums . I want some of those Please ?
I don't know what all I'll have , but will bring several cuttings of different things .I'll pot them and hope for roots .

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from digger9083 :
Randy , just saw your thread on crinums . I want some of those Please ?
I don't know what all I'll have , but will bring several cuttings of different things .I'll pot them and hope for roots .

Digger. Cuttings don't work. Seeds or offset bulbs, or divided bulbs. I'll be bringing some to the RU.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

My sister is in the hospital (again) with pneumonia. My son has also come for a visit, so I have been lax about posting. But I've been thinking about the RU.

HAVE:
Amazon lilies
Elkhorn ferns
Tropical milkweed
2 Bougainvillea baskets (need repotting)
Assort. Rex begonias
Papyrus
Additionally I have the following trees. I will only bring the number that is requested because of space crunch. If you want any of the following 3 trees, be sure and let me know, preferably by D-mail.
Seedling Saw Tooth oaks
4 Quince trees
Buckeye (A. pavia)

WANT:
Featherbells (Wildflower) -Stenanthium gramineum
Tibouchinia grandiflora
Caryopteria
Ceanothus (New Jersey Tea)
Kolkvitzia (Is this the same as Weigelia?)
I like plants in general, but these are some of my long time wishes.

Ohh, hope your sister is well soon and you're having a good visit with your son. We are getting RU ready at Maypop. We recycled our old faithful grill with a new set of burners and a paint job instead of buying a new one. That is green and saves green. :) It's hot dog ready.

Goldhillal, I think you mean Kolwitzia though there is a similarly spelled shrub in Eastern Europe. Probably their spelling for Kolwitzia. Both Kolwitzia and Wigelia are in the honesuckle family but are different species. Kolwitzia is also known as Beauty Bush. Sorry, I don't have it. Nice plant list!

If your Quince is the flowering variety I would love one please. Also, a papyrus would be nice. I left mine out a few years ago in a freeze and lost it. My neighbor has hers in a protected patio pond and hers over-winters.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Quince is fruiting kind.
Beauty Bush is the name of a shrub native to the SE that has fushia colored berries in the late summer and fall. I guess that is why we need scientific names at least part of the time. I can't figure how to pronounce Kolwitzia.
Will bring you a papyrus. This is the older variety that used to be all I ever saw. Now I see one or two other kinds sometimes. It will survive outside, at least here. If you are afraid it will not, cuttings in water can be overwintered. Or you can just get another one. Ha!

The shrub with colorful berries is beauty berry and is in the Verbena family. An altogether different genus.

Thank you for the papyrus. I will check out quince culture. We have been adding fruit trees. Do you use your fruit?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Makes great preserves and jelly. I don't make it, but I do eat it. I like the looks of Quince in a fruit bowl and it smells GREAT! Lasts a long time. Mine (I grew these from seed from an old tree at my uncle's house) has not fruited yet, but my brother's (I grew and gave him, so plants are same age, maybe I did not plant as soon as he did) has 3or 4 fruits this year. Tree must be 3 04 4 years old, but still in small pot. .

Lula, GA

Goldhillal........would you mind posting your name........please??

Welcome. Sorry to hear the news about your sister.................. praying for a speedy recovery for her.

Brenda B

Goldhillal, we would love a Quince tree. After reading up on them the seed grown ones are best because they don't sucker while cuttings do. Do you know the variety? I was looking at different varieties of quinces and the shapes. Some are elongated, like pears, and some are squat. They are used as root stock for grafting pears but do not cross pollinate with them. That was one of my concerns since the fruit is hard. I make jams and jellies so a quince would be a bonus for our garden. Thank you!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi you all, I have been reading about the Quince tree, I would like to grow one but I think it is to hot here. We used to grow the tree back home and still remember the smell of quice . We made winter compote with it and added prunes. First you have to peel it and cut it in chunks, add the prunes cover it with water and add some sugar. Get it just to the boiling point and let it stay in the hot water till its cooled. The prunes will swell up and after day in the frig, it is a best fruit compote. Last year I found some quince in the Publik store, they charged almost 2 doll. each, just had to have some to make some compote. Also I wold like to grow some of the Florida avocadoes, but I guess it is to cold for it in 8a. zone. I am still planing to come to the RU, Lords willing. Etelka

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I don't think you would have any trouble getting quince to flower kiseta, but I will check with my husband who grew up in zone 9 Alabama. This one is the elongated kind.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I too would like the tree quence.Really doesn't matter , the varity, i love the fragrance. Thank you, Mike

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

That is a definite 2 that are wanted. Looking forward to this RU. It will be my first.

Sorry for being slow to respond. I decided to clean the bedroom carpets yesterday. After moving the furniture around and removing the mattress and box spring from our four poster to clean under there I decided it would be a great idea to paint too! SO shook his head while saying, "No way!" repeatedly. So now we are painting away and it's a production because the walls are old, dark paneling and needed a primer/sealer. Still not done and still need to clean the carpets.

Kiseta, it is too cold for avocados where you are. They only grow in south Florida on this coast.

Goldhillal, you are sure to enjoy the people you meet and we are looking forward to meeting you. Thank you for your generous plant list. After several years of RUs a stroll through my garden reminds me of all the plant friends I've made.

Lula, GA

Never mind, Crystal/ Goldhillal.......I found your name.
So, I am confused. Is it wiegelia or is it beauty bush you're wanting? I have both~ Will have to start them right away or see if there are any side shoots to harvest.

I would like to try a tree quince and some of your Rex Begonias, if you have more to share. Are your tropical milkweed yellow/gold? I wish I could help you out more with your wish list.........I have so many plants but your list sounds like some wonderful plants- I could expand my wish list for some of them, too!! ;-)

Brenda B

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 2:59 PM

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Kolwitzia (also called beauty bush) is a different species from weigelia, according to Maypoplaurel. I have never seen it, but I do have a dark red Weigelia. My light pink died. I wonder if they are short lived shrubs or what happened.
American Beauty Bush is a SE native plant that produces purple berries around the stem in clumps in late summer/fall. I live in the woods and there are lots of them around here. In fact they are pesky, coming up everywhere.
Who knows, this kolwitzia might not even like our SE weather!
As far as lists go, I guess most plant collectors are always searching for something they don't have!
I will bring some Rex and another quince for you , wholyhosta.

I have the (kolwitzia Ambilis), and yes, in recent years it too has been called "Beauty bush", so the sultians of mediocrity would want to add that to their hodgepodge. They named it that because it is suspose to have a four season attraction, and I supose it does.
My experience with it has been one of the nature to forget it, until it blooms in early summer, then I can't do without it.I have it where it needs to be moved, because they grow to about 10' tall, and wide.The bloomes are in clusters, and is one of those breath taking moments, that the "beauty" is over whelming.I will have to say that the shrub itself is not an unpleasant shrub, I mean it has no smell, but it will tip root, and that is why I am bringing a handfull, for those who want one, but I would recomend planting it where you want to hide a spot. Mike

Dahlonega, GA

KD , don't worry about pots . I'm bringing enough for you and Brenda to keep you busy for awhile . Will also have some smaller , some larger .
I haven't had anything put out roots yet , so will bring some other stuff I'll repot .

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Oooooo! Mike. I want a cutting!!!

I have 4 plants, so far, and feel sure there are more. DW had her knee replaced May 24, and ole Mike has been on a string ever since.Really she is doing so good, and making progress, but I hapen to have the worlds most impaient wife.I am So glad for our oldest daughter, who comes by each day, for a few hours, to give me a break.DW does things like pulling out the kitchen stool, to get something off the top shelf, and its up to us to stop her.Any body relate to that? Mike

Me. SO has been postponing hip surgery until after summer gardening season and daughter's wedding weekend. He is working so hard and often in a lot of pain. Good to hear your wife is doing so well, Mike.

Lula, GA

Would anyone like a brugmansia/Angel trumpet for their yard? The sizes I have will bloom. Here is one of them. These are perennial and come back from their roots for most people living in Zone 7b or higher..

Thumbnail by wholyhosta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.