Round Up 2012

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

your garden is so very nice! I'm going to bring you some lovely orange lilies to plant between the tomatoes!

I cannot believe I have tomatoes the size of half-dollars this time in May... I started my seeds inside and usually I would be putting in little seedlings about now but this super warm spring? These plants are 4' tall and growing!

edited to say - this pix was May 8th

This message was edited May 22, 2012 7:31 AM

Thumbnail by sterhill
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wowzers, Sterling, I can't believe it! Those tomatoes look great. Do you have lilies growing between yours. :>) Mine are 18"-2' at this point with just a couple beginning to flower. Mind you, at our elevations, we were in the thirties just a few weeks ago.

DD called last evening to say she is looking forward to meeting my online gardening friends. She tends her city yarden and has an additional vegetable plot nearby. She and her beau have arranged to be with us for our RU weekend and finalize their upcoming wedding weekend plans. We are thrilled!

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

I can taste the BLT's already.....

You'll have to rearrange your taste buds, Randy, for grilled Nathan's kosher dogs with fixin's and a couple of types of wraps (unless you are bringing the BLTs). :) There will be vegetarian options on the menu for those who prefer meatless. We'll have blueberry, chocolate chip and double chocolate muffins as well as bagels and breads earlier in the day. People usually start noshing when they arrive. We transition into lunch around 1 p.m.. It's as much a food fest as a plant fest. Just ask Sally. Which reminds me, it's time for a...SHOUT OUT!

Below is a list of what I need and suggestions for what would round out the menu...
1. Beverages. We furnish our spring water, coffee and herbed mint tea. If you like soda, punch or other beverages perhaps you will bring some.
2. Sides dishes such as slaw, salads, pickles, baked beans, potato or pasta salad or your favorite recipe. Sally is bringing slaw.
3. Variety of chips and dips or crackers and spreads. Randy is bringing chips and salsa.
4. Desserts. Not too many though 'cause there always seems to be a lot left over.
5. Paper plates; dinner and dessert size. I have cups, napkins and plastic ware from last year so we are otherwise set.

I will add what you're bringing by your name when you let me know. If bringing something besides yourself is a hardship in any way don't worry about it.
Laurel

This message was edited May 23, 2012 3:52 PM

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

I'll bring 4 bags of ice and some tortilla chips & salsa.

I will put you down for ice and chips and salsa Randy. Thank you so much.

Wish I was savvy enough to know how to cross things out. Need Terry for that. Where are you Terry? I'll delete that line.

Lula, GA

Laurel, I will bring the dinner and dessert plates we need and I'm working on a Mexican based drink, either fruit or herb.

Brenda

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Laurel:

See image. It won't allow an example on the board

Add what words you want with a line through it between the brackets

This message was edited May 23, 2012 5:39 AM

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Dahlonega, GA

If anyone doesn't care if I put garlic in it , I can bring southern Tex , sweet cole slaw . Gotta have garlic .

Ken, 'splain me when you come.

Sally, garlic is one of the chef's trinities. The other two are chocolate and hot sauce! I'll put you down for slaw. Sounds great.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
I will put you down for ice and chips and salsa Randy. Thank you so much.

Wish I was savvy enough to know how to cross things out. Need Terry for that. Where are you Terry? I'll delete that line.

Did I hear my name? Here's the instructions for strike throughs: http://davesgarden.com/faq/forums/#131

Dahlonega, GA

Oh yes , Laurel , food and friendship first , plant swap is a way to get and give goodies, and a good excuse to eat and visit with ,and make new friends
Laurel always puts a new twist to foods, most I can't pronounce, much less spell .Or ever have eaten .

My, what ears you have, Terry! Thanks for the instructional.

And Digger, thanks for the praise.

Dahlonega, GA

Sure , laurel , gotta keep that good food coming .LOL

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Laurel, I hate to miss the good times and old and new gardening buddies, I am going to have to cancel.

Brenda

We'll miss you, Brenda. Hope all is well your way.
Laurel

Lula, GA

Sorry to hear you will not make it Brenda!! Please keep in touch!

Brenda

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am having to cancel also - My son and his gf are going to move in with me for a month or two while her company relocates her. They are in Chicago and the landlord is insisting on another year's lease or triple the month to month.

Bonnie won't be coming as her mom died quite unexpectedly and she and her dh are clearing out the house.

Ya'll have a great time and be sure to eat one of those lovely hotdogs for me!

Sterling

And you will be missed as well, Sterling. However, your son and his GF are welcome to come if you are up to it. Please send our condolences to Bonnie.

Directions will go out later this week/weekend. Please check my May 22nd post to see what is needed. Right now we need sides, desserts and paper plates. No styrofoam or plastic please. I've not purchased hot dog buns if someone wants to bring those. We have a boat load of hot dogs to put them in. Sally's DH is going to eat all the extras.

Laurel

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I am going to have to withdraw my name from this event also. I am between joy and disappointment. My daughter is coming for a few days (joy), but I have never been to a roundup and was looking forward to my first one (disappointment).
Assuming Kris is still able to come, I hope to send the quince seedlings and a few other things with her. AShe is busily working on her house right now, but I know she is still hoping to come.

This is disappointing news. Enjoy your visit.

Dahlonega, GA

That man loves hot dogs . I buy very few of them . Durn , if I can't have Chinese buffet every day , he isn't going to get hot dogs . YEA for Laurel ! LOL. Johnny isn't going to be with me this R U . He has a coin show to visit that conflicts . To each his own .

I am still planning on being there!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Still on for me (can you believe it?). There is a Democratic Committee function that evening here in Newnan with Andrew Young that I'd REALLY like to attend, but I REALLY want to go to the RU too. Hard decision, but still planning to come to the RU. Since I'm coming such a long way, it would be better for me to bring non-perishables, so put me down for hot dog buns and paper plates ... and anything else on that order that's needed. I never bake and rarely eat sweets so desserts are out for me ... unless it's "store-boughten."

As for sharing plants, there is nothing here that I would think anybody wanted ... "Becky" daisies, plain old purple coneflowers (both just getting ready to bloom), no-name Hostas (and Knockouts) are all I have right now that are big enough to divide. And I'm really not sure how to even do that and keep them alive. LOL. Remember I'm a beginner. I really just want to meet the great people who are on this forum.

And, when the time comes, I'll need somebody's phone number. I'll be driving a 15-year-old van and, if it quits on me, need somebody to call and let you know I'm not gonna make it ... just so you won't think I backed out again. LOL Actually it's in pretty good shape and has very low mileage for its age (157,000). Will also need detailed directions which I think Laurel sends via D-mail. Woo hoo ... I'm excited.

Dahlonega, GA

I'm counting on you Kris . Can't wait to meet you .
Judy , if you want , you can come to my house and ride the rest of the way with me , or follow me . I'm straight up 400 and two turns .

YEA to all who plan to schlep from all over Georgia and beyond to eat hot dogs! I only buy them once a year and this is it. Of course there will be other food. I have several wrap fillings on standby, store bought cookies and one box of pastry. There are bagels and muffins for the early birds.

Judy, so cool that you are actually making it up. I'd be torn too but just think...there are lots of functions with Andy and only one a year with us. :) When the time comes you will have contact information. Not to worry about plants. Thanks for the offer of buns (we'll need about two dozen) and paper plates.

Kris, we know you are driving all these miles to meet DG celebrity, Sally. SO and I work the kitchen while Sally works the crowd. We heard she'll be signing autographs in addition to bringing plants. Better come.

Okay, just got a call from our house guest for the next five days. She's on her way from the airport to Maypop. Better go get her room and dinner ready. What a whirlwind; we got here an hour ago.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Actually, hot dog buns are perishable, aren't they? I meant something that will keep ... doesn't need to be refrigerated or kept hot. Will bring three dozen for good measure and a boatload of paper plates --- not plastic. And, Digger, I may take you up on your offer to ride part of the way with you. What time are you going to leave? I can't leave the house before daybreak because I can't see!! LOL. And I may have to spend the night up that way. I know there are motels in Dahlonega because I stayed there when we had our 50th NGC class reunion last year. Just depends on how long the RU lasts and whether I can get home before dark. Of course, it will be right at the beginning of summer and the days will be at their longest, so that will help.

OMG. I'm going to meet the famous Digger. OMG. OMG. :-)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Judy, you have about 120 ml and should be no more then 3 hours. I have much longer then you and last time we finished about 3:30 pm and I was home before dard. If that help you anyway. Looking forward to see you. Etelka

And I'll bring whatever travel-stable item our hostess deems she still needs. (I've already ruled out deviled eggs :-)

Dahlonega, GA

Judy , If you don't mind house dogs , you could spend the night . They aren't allowed in the bedrooms so you'd have that to yourself . We also don't smoke in the house , so that shouldn't be a problem for you . I'm taking it for granted you don't smoke . Me and D H do. Your're welcome to stay .
If you leave early , we should have loads of time to get there , Maypop isn't but about 20-25 miles from here .
Laurel , you're just funny . Everyone will expect a diva and I'm just a fat old lady with a ponytail .(and lots of street smarts ) Got my education in E Dallas . (Tex )
Private joke . Love ya ,
-

The only side dish we have so far is Sally's coleslaw. Bean dishes, green, pasta or potato salad, etc. would be nice. No desserts, that I know of, are on the list except what I have in the freezer. It's a window of opportunity. If you see your name and nothing next to it let me know if I forgot to list your contribution. I do have a bit of updating to do.

Judy, according to MapQuest it will take you two hours and fifteen minutes to get here whether you go 85 or 400. We go 400 and think it's more relaxing. If you go 400 you'll be passing near Sally on the way.

I will probably wait 'til Monday to send info. Very busy with our company and the garden. She's an engineer and has spent the day helping SO replace a rotten beam on Maypop cottage. I mowed the weeds (what grass?) and climbed all over the banks with a string trimmer then unloaded umpteen tractor bucket loads of wood chips into the yard cart and in the garden. Gonna be hurting tonight.

I checked the weather for next week and it's supposed to be good. Overcast so we won't be too hot.

Anyone up for a white elephant swap? I can do it.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurel, how is Tabbouleh salad with cuscuss sound. The other day I have found the recepi and I would like to make some. I know you know how to make these kind of things, but I thought it would travel in the cooler good. I am also making the nut roll (enough for the freezer too) and another walnut pastry that I started to make latley and everybody likes it. I am bringig some plants and some white elephant items too. I always cover all the possibilities. Have a good weekend. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

A tabbouleh salad would be wonderful, Etelka! We love tabbouleh. I've never had it with couscous though. Sounds good. Just told SO about the walnut roll. He says his day is now complete.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

He is sure easy to please, you lucky duck. Ha Ha

Thumbnail by kiseta

I am a lucky duck, for sure. Here is a guy who spends endless hours helping me in the garden, then jumps right into this DG RU thing and he is but a vicarious gardener! He is also our hot dog chef. I better be nice to him.

Ah, then some sort of dessert it shall be.

Dahlonega, GA

Oh , goodie , lots of sweets .

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Oh boy...Hot Dogs? I'm ready for an unhealthy eating day! How about adding some deep fried french fries? Like the crinkly kind they serve at Sonnys Bbq...Lot's of ketchup too

white elephant swap?

I must live a sheltered life. What's that?

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

If you're missing sides, I could bring my (family) famous "Top o' the Stove Baked beans." They get rave reviews ... even from my persnickety brother-in-law. Sinfully unhealthy. :-) You start with several jars of B&M Baked Beans and add butter, onions, bacon, brown sugar, Worcestershire, garlic salt and a dash of seasoned pepper ... all simmered in a skillet on the stove. Really good and will go well with the hot dogs. I'll bring those in addition to the paper plates (a gazillion) and hot dog buns (3 doz).

If the three hour drive from Newnan is right, I could leave here at 8 or 9 and still be there by 11 or 12, so I guess I'll drive the whole way. I will probably come up 400 since I hate I-85 going through Gwinnett County. And even if I'm the last to leave the party, I could still get home before dark. So, Digger, I really appreciate the offer of a pillow for my head, but I think I'll be okay. Dogs don't bother me at all, by the way. I used to raise, train and show German Shepherds --- for 30 years. So I'm used to dogs being in the house. That would have been no problem.

Really looking forward to this!!

Judy, the beans sound wonderful and will be appreciated. Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.