Round Up 2012

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'll be very busy this coming week planting but wanted to get this thread going. Here it is, the beginning of the 2012 RU thread. A separate thread will be started for trades. I have pretty much cut and pasted last year's invitation withur adjustments to the date...

Okay, back by popular demand, we're going to do it. The date is Saturday, June 23th, from 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.. Reread this post as needed. The guest list will be updated here.

Plant swaps will be conducted on a separate 2012 RU and White Elephant Swap thread. Please discuss plant info there to keep this planning thread from getting clogged. We can have another white elephant swap if there are willing participants. There is no garden gift, new or used, that goes unappreciated by a fellow gardener and none to small to share. It's a good way to clean out your garden closet.

The gathering will include a bagels, muffins and coffee greeting for arrivals before 12:p.m. and a pot luck luncheon afterwards. We are providing grilled kosher hot dogs, fixings, a variety of sandwiches, goodies from the garden, etc. for lunch. We are requesting help with side dishes and desserts. If you plan to come let me know by DMail ASAP. You may bring one non-DG guest. Please communicate with me by D Mail if you would like for anyone else to join your group. We reserve the right to have or not have additional outside guests.

Our location is within seven miles of downtown Cleveland, GA.. We will provide a map and directions to the final RSVP list right before the RU. We will provide information on motel accommodations if requested. There are several budget friendly options. The area and time are beautiful for weekending. If I hear from singles desiring to share space I will connect you for room sharing.

If you are new to DG or RUing and have questions, please ask. Don't be shy. Some of us have met at past RUs, some of us have never met but have become posting friends over the years here at DG.

Do not bring pets. We have two large dogs that are fenced during the RU. Our large game hound does not take to other animals on the property. When she's unhappy, everyone is unhappy.

*This is a reminder to bring sunscreen, a hat and a folding camp chair if you can spare one.
Thanks,
Laurel

GUEST LIST:

1) MaypopLaurel (Laurel) and SO (Steve)
2) Wholyhosta (Brenda) and Sandy bringing horcheta (wondeerful Mexican drink) and dessert plates
3) RandyRick (Randy) for sure & bringing ice and chips and salsa.
4) Kiseta (Etelka) Tabbouleh salad with couscous and a special Eastern European walnut roll.
5) JudyinGA (Judy) Hot dog buns and paper plates
6) Digger (Sally) and Johnny. Texas slaw.
7) Eufauala (Lynn) maybe if life allows
8) mqiq77 (Mike)
9) Cindy_GA (Cindy) and SO or guest
10) AdminTerry (Terry) and SO
11) DD (Emily) and Beau (Evan) soon to be bride and groom
12) Mud_Elf
13) kdfisher (Ken)
14) ChooChooGal and guest

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 10:09 PM

Lula, GA

Thanks, Laurel! Sound good.

So the date is the 23rd, not the 28th!

Look forward to it. I have plants ready for a trade list!!! So does Sandy!

~Brenda

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Count me in - and my friend Bonnie who came with me last time. She has a lot of good plants too. I will post for her on the other thread.

Super. Sounds like a party already!

Lula, GA

Yeah, Randy, ya better after teasing us with all your garden photos.............a mix of fellers and gals show up~ we trade like crazy, then sit around catching up and then we have a feast fit for royalty!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Count me in, hope to have still some plants and will bring goodies.

Great! You've been added.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Do I dare even try again? LOL. I would so love to meet you guys. I do have portable oxygen now so I won't tire out as easily. Heck. I might even have something to share this year. Put me down as an iffy maybe, Laurel. I'm going to put it on my calendar IN INK! Will bring either pasta salad, potato salad or baked beans. Is that okay?

Judy

Judy, I applaud your efforts to get to Maypop every year. We'd love for you to come. Remind me, if needed, of your pot luck further down the line. You are added.

Dahlonega, GA

Put me down , I'll have to confirm later . I;m working around a lot of Dr appts for both me and Johnny .

I'll put you and Johnny down. Hopefully you won't have a Saturday appointment. Besides, you have my azaleas. :)

Dahlonega, GA

They are looking pretty good too . May not have to cut them back .

Must be the cool, wet weather. Tell Johnny to get his hot dog bib on.

Dahlonega, GA

He likes hot dogs better than getting his back scratched !

Well, you'll have to scratch his back. I've got a garden to get in. lol

Dahlonega, GA

I just walked the back yard and have a weeks worth of cutting , pruning, raking ,herbicide spraying , chipping to do . Oh, where will I have the time and energy ? He can scratch his own back .
I hope to get to the roundup and root some plants to share .I need a break with friends .

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the invitation Laurel. Im so busy here lately with work and my traveling South to help my Parents, and obligations with the Atlanta Poultry Meetup group. I never know how to schedule any personal time! So if you would be so kind as to hold open my "Spot" I will definitely try to make it if Im in the north Georgia area that day! I never know from day to day where I might be! Eufaula ( Lynn)

Eufaula, your spot will be held as a "maybe". You are always welcome. I chuckled when you said you never know from day to day where you might be. I never know from day to day where I am. I've learned to open one eye before rolling out of bed. Might be I'm rolling in the wrong direction.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Laurel, put me and Kenny down as a maybe! I would love to see everyone again!!

Nutz, you and Kenny made our "A" list. lol

Doraville, GA(Zone 8a)

I won't have my summer plans decided for a while, so I don't know right now if I will be in Georgia that week or not.
Please let me know if there is a deadline to RSVP. :D

No deadline but it helps with planning to know as early as possible. Glad you found the link.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Save me a seat...I've got it on my calendar. (Fingers crossed that nothing gets in my way this year :-) I'll scheme up a side dish when we get a bit closer to the date, if that's okay.

Terry, a seat has been reserved for you. Bring a friend or family. Hopefully that old car will not present last minute problems. Now that you're in the new house you should put up a wish list. Georgia has some amazing gardeners. You can always add haves later.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Laurel...I want to make sure my eyes aren't bigger than my gardens for now. I'll probably drive my "Bertha" rather than the old HIghlander. Unless gas prices shoot up again. Bertha has a bit of a drinking problem but Swimmer Girl will probably be working and need her "Nemo" that weekend. Maybe I'll drag my husband with me; any golf courses in the vicinity? He has been known to drop me off at Round-Ups, go play a round and come back in time for food :-)

Terry, there are two courses within 15-20 minutes of the cottage. http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/usa/georgia/cleveland/mossy-creek-golf-club.html and http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/usa/georgia/helen/innsbruck-golf-club-semi-private.html EFGeorgia1/Elaine's husband played one of the courses when she did the RU one year. I don't know which one. Maybe she'll weigh in with a recommendation.

We are off to Maypop today. Round three of planting is about to commence. Moving along. Rumors of rain this week have proven false. Not good.

Digger has invited me to join you all this year. So if things work out, I will be comming up with another DGer Goldhillal.

I can make brownies,, if needed.

You will be very welcome at our RU, Mud. I recall you wanted to come last year and were unable to make it. Great that things are working out this year for you to join us. If you or Goldhillal have wants or give aways please go to the swap thread. Thanks. I will add you.

Laurel

Lula, GA

Hey, Kris, hope you can make it. Will you be bringing any of the munchkins?

Brenda

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Where is the trade thread or how do I find it? Never been to a RU before

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from goldhillal :
Where is the trade thread or how do I find it? Never been to a RU before

The one titled 'Plant and White elephant swap'

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252730/

Randy

Brenda,,hi!!!!

No sorry Miss Goober will be at camp that week. So just me. and Crystal. You guys will really like her!!!

Is it ok just to bring what I can? As I am not sure what all we can fit in Crystals car. I have some stuff for Digger that I really need to bring that day too. So my plant space is limited. I mostly want to come to visit friends and show Crystal how fun a RU can be.

I know I cannot bring any lotus as it is to late to divide now. ;(

I still have every plant in pots since my move to the new place so at least I will not have to dig...LOL

Dahlonega, GA

Looking forward to it , Kris .

Goldhillal, by now you have hopefully found the plant thread. If there are any questions please DM. No worries about the actually swapping. Put down what you want and if you have something to trade list that too. You can edit your list, if you'd like, over the coming weeks including adding that you are out of a certain plant or seed because of requests. First and foremost it's about socializing with like minded gardeners and not about horse trading plants. There's plenty of food, fun and plants to go around. It's a garden party in the truest sense.

Now for an appeal. Last year, after our super RU, folks left dozens (understatemnt) of unmarked and unclaimed plants. While some of the items were appreciated the clean up was more than we bargained for. Our daughter is getting married in Atlanta four weeks after the RU and we are having a weekend of festivities in and around Maypop cottage. Unfortunately there will be no time to plant out unplanned extras. If you bring plants to share that are not claimed be prepared to take them with you when you leave. Thank you.
Laurel

Kris, don't worry about bringing plants. We are looking forward to you and Goldhillal coming to visit. There is enough to go around. I have been unable to propagate in previous years and thought there was no way this year but managed to pot up a variety of plants this past week. Now, if only I can keep them alive between now and the RU.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm with you, just over loaded, as others are, but I am 70, and thats a great excuse. Look forward to seeing everyone again, and meeting new faces. Mike

You know we love to see you Mike. The coffee pot will be waiting.

Dahlonega, GA

By all means , put the coffee on . (You know how I am )

Oh right, Digger. You're the gal with the bottomless cup. :) Check out the second photo. I was in the middle of potting up the honeysuckle shrub you gave me. to go in the corner of the garden tub and garden fence. The little "mystery" hydrangea in the pot is blooming the prettiest rose colored flowers.

With a little more than a month to go before the RU we are stringing lines for the beans to run and chasing off cabbage worms. The tomatoes are jetting along though there is talk of serious early blight in GA this year that has us concerned. There's a righteous double row of okra up and going. SO built a bower from saplings to run exotic beans from Cindy. Doubtful they will have reached the top by the RU, but you'll get the idea. You have to walk under it to go down the garden path.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Dahlonega, GA

Looking good .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.