Retired, living self sufficently in Alabama (Part 3)

Vernon, AL

with so much rain this year, gardens are doin awsome, but then again so are the weeds .. lol guess thats takin the good with the bad... :-)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We are getting a lot of rain too. My garden is good because it is all in raised beds or containers so it stains well. Not much problem with weeds. But the fleas are driving me crazy!!!!!! I have sprayed and dusted until I am blue in the face but the rain keeps washing away my poison. Wish it would wash away the fleas!!!

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

We had flea problems this spring. The Sevin granules in the big red bag did get rid of them. We have a large dog and he is proof. This spring he was chewing away. Now when we go to wash him, no fleas. I think my hubby used a bit more per square foot than is recommended, but it did stop our flea problem. Hope this helps you Cajun :)

Vernon, AL

im lucky, in the 7 years out here in the middle of no where, none of my pup's has fleas ... just a tick now an then, an i use no chemicals or such on them either...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I bought a 50# bag of diatomaceous earth to sift around the house for fleas (and slugs that eat my plants). It's still in the bag a year later. My neighbor's hay field gets so tall before he cuts it and apparently it harbors ticks.

Some years I have huge flea infestations on my cat, who brings them inside where they multiply. This year, so far, has been mostly okay but August is always the worst.

Vernon, AL

Darius, ive heard that works, ever tried it myself but from what ive heard its safe an natural with no lingering bad effects

Richmond, TX

I bet it works better if you take it out of the bag...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info. I have been spraying soapy water every few days right around the house. Have killed them off the porch. High grass is still bad but I can't do the whole woods. Gave the dog a comfort is pill and bathe her every week. No fleas in the house, thank the good Lord.

Vernon, AL

dang, i need to get finished with the gardens an work on my projects more

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I did some work on the possum pen. made him a nest in the peak of the roof and made a ladder for him to get to it. He is still not used to it yet but I put his feed in it every night. He sits in it to eat. I guess he will eventually move in. LOL

Got 3 roosters to kill. A guy from church brought them to me. Looking forward to them. Think I will just kill them one at a time.

Vernon, AL

way kewl, right .. live food dont spoil .... good idea

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

One is smaller than the other 2 so I will save him for last. The other 2 pick on him so I am sure he will be glad to them them go. LOL

Vernon, AL

LOL let him have the last laugh (crow) huh.... hahaa pun intended ....

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL Good one!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Ate one of my roos. He was really tasty. Then the guy brought me two more so now I have four to eat. Busy trying to clean apples right now. Got tons of them from a friend. Going to try and make some Apple jelly.

Vernon, AL

i use to dry all the apples i could get my hands on, now they are few an far between... some good eating durin the winter months for sure ...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have dried a few. We are also making fried apples and onions and Apple slaw. I would love to make some cider if I had a press. There are tons of Apple's here abouts. Most people have trees and don't even bother to spray them.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How is your weather and how is your garden doing?

Vernon, AL

weather has been good, gardens are doin ok also specialy with all the rain .. been a cool wet summer here ...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Been wet here too. My garden is about finished. Eggplants are still thriving. Waiting for the last of the shell beans to get ready. Corn won't have time to fill out so I will feed it as fodder. Horses will enjoy it. Gave my last goat away. I will miss the milk, cheese and yogurt but not the hassle. It was time.

How is the water wheel working?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Did you ever finish that cabin?

Vernon, AL

not yet Darius, been so busy workin on other things round here i havent had the chance to work on it .. i hope to soon tho... deer season is almost here .. an its in a good location hahaa

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How are your chickens?

Vernon, AL

well... long story made short,.... 3 dead possum's and only one chicken left an i turned it loose .. untill i totally rebuild my chicken pen and chicken house..... :-(

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I hate to hear that. I was hoping you had a flourishing flock by now. I am sorry for your loss. I know how it feels.

Vernon, AL

but hey, just got 7 more chickens .. well 6 an one rooster ... so im back in the chickens again ... LOL ok .. now im humming .. back in the saddle again ... hahaa ... ok ok .. stop laughin now ..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Way to go. Should I call you Chicken George? LOL What kind did you get?

Vernon, AL

they all mixed up, lol but they lay brown large eggs .. maybe ill post a pic of em soon, if i can remember to take one .. but i think the hens are RR's .. an some kinda buff's... some with a few straggly feathers on their feet .. but i know my rooster is game .. lol

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They sound like a fine flock. RIRs are great layers. A game clock is fine as long as he is the only one you have. Those rascals are gorgeous but they will kill one another. Nothing you can do to stop it except keep them separated. They are hard wired to fight and they are good at it. The hens make the best mommas. You could get a couple game hens to hatch and raise chicks. They lay white eggs so you could just let them hatch out the brown eggs. Then you wouldn't be getting any full stock games. It is a lot easier to let the hen do the hatching and raising.

Did you get any snow? We got our first snow today but thankfully it didn't stick here at the house. It rained during the night so it is wet and it sure is cold. Calling for 21 in the morning. Glad my animals are all in good quarters this year.

Did you ever find a pony? I am looking for another one. I still have Max and DH traded one of his show saddles for a new cart. The shafts are removable so we want to get a tongue and another pony to have a double hitch so we can both go carting. He has never been able to ride again since the amputation but he can ride in the cart. It is a really nice one. Easy entry with a padded seat thAt has a back on it. Heavy duty wheels that are self oiling. They run about $700 New and this one has only been used twice. It was sure a blessing to get it. Now to find a second pony.

Vernon, AL

lol no snow an no pony .. maybe some day ill find what i want ..

Vernon, AL

Hey,
For all you youtube'rs out there .. make sure you check out my new youtube channel, see some of my projects past an present, plus the building of the cabin which i live in now.. an the little ones im building also, Thistledome Outdoors is the name of my channel there .. feel free to rate share an subscribe ..... an i hope everyone has a safe an happy Christmas an New Year coming up :)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Really enjoyed the new walk about tour. I was hoping we would go inside the house. I am curious how the stair railing turned out.

You have some nice chickens. I turned my three do is out and they fought a bit. They were all game to try but we're not very good at it. Not like the game cocks I had. Those rascals were lethal.

Vernon, AL

Merry Christmas Everyone .. i hope everyone has a blessed peaceful day

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Pray your day was nice. Ours was uneventful. Not much different than a regular day but no mishaps. A lot to be said for that.

Vernon, AL

Cajun,
Was a Awsome day, spent it with family, ate too much as usual but hey thats a good thang .. lol :)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Glad you had a great day. And I agree about the eating. I cooked a pork roast and we will eat on it for a couple of days.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

FS, did you know Darius passed away? I sure do miss her. Learned so much from her.

Vernon, AL

Cajun,
no i dint know that, she will surely be missed by everyone..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

She was such a student of life and always willing and happy to share what she learned. I miss her.

Vernon, AL

Cajun,
indeed she was, always very helpful with awsome information and comments.. but she'll live forever in her friends memories and minds ... RIP DARIUS....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.