Retired, living self sufficently in Alabama (Part 3)

Vernon, AL

yeah just got some baby ducks, an chicks, want to get me a pair of goats an maybe a welsh pony if i can find one that will work... just have to wait an see

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Whoo hoo!! Gotta see some pics!

Vernon, AL

yeah ill have to take some pic's an post them, asap.... just sooo much goin on right now

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What kinda chicks and ducklings did you get, how many and where from? I have been searching the net to try and decide and I think I would like EEs and Welsummers. Then I can breed for olive eggers.

Any idea what kind of goats you want? Will you be using them for meat and milk? We like goat meat but haven't butchered any because I have been able to sell them all. Going to breed my grown doe this month and the doe kid in March.

You might want to get yourself a Haflinger instead of a welsh pony. Haffies are very sturdy so you can work it and ride it, they are very easy keepers and being a draft breed they are "cold" blooded so they are much more easy going and easy to handle. I loved ours and wish we had been able to keep her.

Richmond, TX

I don't know about Haflingers in general, but a neighbor has had a couple of them that were quite unreliable - she called them crazy. If you want hard work and easy keeping, get a mule.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Or a jackass. I think pound for pound they are the strongest animal going and they are VERY easy keepers. You have to be very patient to work with an ass or a mule.

Vernon, AL

yeah i had a welsh once, she would work, plow, ride, pull a cart or ground slide enough to wear me out an very very gentle ... my ducks are pekin .. chicks are rr's ... far as the goats go, dont really matter long as they'll clean up thickets hahahaa ...

New Port Richey, FL

I don't know, my jackass is pretty high maintenance and I can't get seem to get him off the couch to do a blasted thing.

Richmond, TX

:-)

Vernon, AL

LOL flsusie, hehee hahaa im still laughing at that one ....

New Port Richey, FL

Sorry about that. It was just one of those mornings and I couldn't resist. Glad Hubby doesn't use the computer, but I do keep it away from the couch. Hope you didn't have any damage during the storms and the New Year brings better things to all.

Vernon, AL

LOL tooooo funny, no damage here other than a few old dead a trees down, which will make extra firewood..... and Happy New Year to Everyone.....

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Did you ever get a roof put on that log cabin you posted in back in April?

Vernon, AL

no, never did, i have the rafters up and the ridge log an got busy with other stuff .. it does have a tarp over it tho .. LOL

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We need to see pics of your progress. I live vicariously through your projects. lol

Vernon, AL

ill get some up asap ...

Richmond, TX

Yes, you make us all feel busy just keeping up with your projects.

Vernon, AL

yeah wintertime is more firewood an hunting than projects and such... but there are some pretty days that i work on a few projects ... mostly small things tho ...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

All I seem to get done in winter is the bare necessities of feeding. I just don' t have any drive in the cold.

Vernon, AL

yeah i can understand that, i kinda go into low gear in the winter, guess im just restin up for spring planting .. LOL

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

better start cranking the gears up. Spring is around the corner.

What'cha doin?

Vernon, AL

planting taters, onion an breakin up some of my garden spots, an hope'n this rain is over with for awhile

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I wish I could break my garden up. I have my taters and onion sets standing by waiting for the moment. Should be a sunny week to give the ground a chance to drain. Looks like I might have to use the regular tiller. The tractor is too heavy for the garden right now.

How is the construction plans coming along for your sawmill ? We were wishing we had one. My son saw Somebody on Craigslist --i think--has several 2ft wide and wider cedars standing on their property and they just want someone to cut them down and take them away. They are suppose to be in Alabama. Thought you might be interested .

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Loved reading this thread, and can't wait for more pictures of the little log cabin and possibly the construction of your sawmill freedom. How many acres are you on? Do you have electricity, or are
you using an alternative power source? (Or have plans for such, as perhaps the sawmill also generating electricity, etc?)

Vernon, AL

Cajun, still workin on the sawmill as i have time, an yes thoes cedars would be awsome to have ..

TrumpetFlowerz ... glad you enjoyed it, an ill post some pic's of the little log cabin in the next week or so if the weather will hold out long enough for me to get some more work done on it... i have 20 acres here, been totally off grid for 7 years now .. the sawmill ive designed myself, mostly for personal use but i do plan on cutting some lumber an beams for the public when needed ...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Looking forward to those pics.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

You have surely taken those pics by now and I really need something to look at and dream about. It is snowing here and I am feeling bad. I need a pick me up.

Vernon, AL

Time for spring planting, got most of my gardens planted, just like a few more things an ill be finished, then i get to work on the little log cabin while i wait for everything to come up, lol awww the joys of nature, even nature will give you a break now n then...........

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have to start over with my seeds. Everything got burned up in the greenhouse. Grrrr

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How are things going?

Vernon, AL

so far so good, been so busy garden'n an all havent had time to work on any projects yet, always very busy untill i get everything planted an such ...
got sooooooo much goin on ..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My small garden is looking pretty good after a slow start.

Vernon, AL

Cajun.. same thing here, too many cold snaps an set backs but maybe the weather is more "normal" now hahaa least i hope so

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

There has been frost around us the last few mornings but our micro climate has protected us.

Vernon, AL

great, glad you dint have any frostbite damage .. young plants are very tender

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My peas are blooming and looks like the beans are about to start.

Vernon, AL

im gettin strawberrys everyday, my squash is blooming, beans blooming, an everything else lookin really good

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I just get a few berries everyday. Wish I had a bigger patch but I am glad for what I do have. I got 2 blueberry bushes half price at Wal-Mart. Didn't have a place fixed for them so I put them together in a big pot. They should do fine there until next spring. Lettuce is doing well. Peas and beans are blooming. I picked a pea yesterday. It was delish! I like to eat them off the bush. Afraid 1 or 2 of my maters may have blight. I got a replacement but I have to get a pot for it.

Vernon, AL

crush up egg shells fine, an pour them around the stem of your mater plants .. sometimes this makes a big difference .

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I will try it. Thanks. Your squash are way ahead of mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.