Retired, living self sufficently in Alabama (Part 3)

Vernon, AL

ok here is the 3rd part being the other one was getting so long an hard to load.

Vernon, AL

here is some pic's of the little log cabin im building atm.

Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

and a few more .....

Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

more to come on that and other projects

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bravo ! (again).

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, that's nice! Looks like pine logs... will there be a problem with ground contact?

Vernon, AL

the bottom two logs are white oak, so i dont think there'll be a problem, all the pine is off the ground around a foot. and after the roof is on it with the over hang an drainage around it not much water should even come in contact with the oak.

Cool... white oak should work fine!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is coming along well. How about the pizza oven?

Vernon, AL

Cajun,
still workin on that, its a slow work in progress .. LOL

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I love it!!!!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Will the top part of the pizza oven be enclosed?

Vernon, AL

Cajun
yes it'll be enclosed with a optional door for bake'n breads n such.. or left open for pizzas etc....

Vernon, AL

here's a few pic's of the bread/pizza oven

Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer Thumbnail by freedom_sailer

That looks mighty fine!

I hope eventually to build a bread/pizza oven, maybe cob or maybe brick...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I did not realize the food was actually in the same chamber as the fire.

Vernon, AL

yeah its still not finished, but close enough to start cooking some in it.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I may look into making me such an oven. Be good for hot days. But I have no experience with stone masonry.

Vernon, AL

its not that hard to do, plenty of good info on the net. and now days with the materials available just makes it easier

Vernon, AL

few more pictures of some bread an the oven ...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks as if that is another project you can put in the "finished" column. Good job. What's next? :)

Vernon, AL

Thanks Cajun, yep time to move on to another project now.. hmmm not sure just what it'll be tho, maybe finish up the little cabin, or finish the sawmill which i need very badly.. who knows .. hahaa

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you watch much TV. I have been enjoying "Mountain Men" on the History channel. There is a self sufficient guy on there in NC. I'd like to see more of his setup.

Bentonville, AR

I have been watching Mountain Men, too. Good show. Sailer, the bread looks good, I hope to build an oven eventually, but my list of projects is enormous at this point.

Vernon, AL

Cajun, i watch a very little bit of tv, i have seen a few of the shows tho.

o_angi, hard to beat that bread from a wood fired oven .. the flavor the wood gives it .. mmmmmmm

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I did some googling on that guy last night and he has a big setup there. 1000 acre place that he uses like a school to teach people about the enviroment, ect. You can go there for different classes. He has been lots of places and done lots of things and he has a degree in English. It is called Turtle Island if you'd like to read about it. I wonder if he has an oven like yours. Bet he'd want one if he saw yours. Seems like I can smell the warm loaves everytime I look at your pics. :)

Vernon, AL

Cajun, sounds interesting, ill check it out, i'd guess that he did have a bread oven or wood oven, like mine well .. hahaa mine is my design because i follow my own path hahahaa yeah i know im strange. an the bread that comes out of it is just Awsome.. fills the air with the smell of warm fresh baked breads..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I know how good my kitchen smells when I use the bread maker. Can't imagine how much better it smells when you add the earthy smell of woodsmoke.

Vernon, AL

it is pretty amazing, i hadnt remember it sence long long time ago, its nice to bring back old memories

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Amazing how smells can do that. Things we had forgotten about from years long passed, can come flooding back like a tidal wave. Old spice always brings my Dad back to me.

Vernon, AL

yes it is, they can transport you to another place an time an make you remember things long forgotten .

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

And, sadly, they can take us back to things we'd just as soon not remember but we have to take the good with the bad.

Vernon, AL

That is very true Cajun, sometimes it takes the bad to show us all the good and appreciate it for what it is.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is so true. You don't really appreciate the things of life, like family, friends and freedom, until they are threatened or lost.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How is the cabin coming along?

Vernon, AL

slowly but surely, just finding the time now to work on it seems to be a chore...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean. I am starting to make plans for my spring garden.

Vernon, AL

thats great, im planning more garden spots this year .. hope'n to grow alot more veggies

Richmond, TX

A Dragonfly needs to read all the posts in this thread if he wants to know how homesteading is really done!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is the truth. Freedom, do you plan on getting any animals?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.