April Showers?

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Slippery roads here in Pa. this evening!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Mountain View, HI

Early Bloomer - what a great photo - please post some more like that.

Beautiful starry evening yesterday. No neighbors or street lights so stars were shining down to the horizon through the trees.

Different story this morning. Moderate rain and cloudy skies that lasted all day and is still continuing this evening. There is some level of mystical pleasure driving to work this morning with clouds so low you need headlights. As you get to a lower elevation its the tops of the trees that are in the clouds and then as you lose the trees you can see the ocean in the distance under the cloud layer. Must remember to put the camera in the van.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

OMG! Seeing your photo, Early_Bloomer, makes me shiver!

It's sunny and 68 degrees at 10:00 am. The high is supposed to reach 87 - too hot for April! What's going on with the weather?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

63 Degrees and sunny, winds 15 to 20.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Onions are all planted. 9 cases, 2000 to a case.
Sunny, so everybody got a little red!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Highs in the low 80s today. I took advantage and got all my perennials planted that needed planting. Plus a few bulbs. Still need to get onions and potatos planted though. And the rest of the veggies.

Mountain View, HI

Rain and grey this morning but turning out to be a nice sunny afternoon and 70f on my day off.

Wow CountryGardens. See how little we know about the weather journal writers. Do you own a farm or is that some big back yard? All that nice looking dark soil that we have to buy in bags. Good Job!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have about 5 acres of market garden. 11½ acres total.
Some of the blackest soil you will ever find.
This pic is last year.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

currently 50s sunshine and light rain. chance of severe weather for tonight with more rain and storms local temperature 59 as this is typed. upper 60s for a high today.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I hears thunder when my alarm went off at 4:30 am (I go to they gym first thing each morning, to get my day 'started' with all the other senior citizens). My first thought was, "Great! Rain to give my garden a drink!" - I've been watering all week and it's only April!

No luck, however. It was just thunder and lightning signaling a significant warm up - the predicted high today is 92 - a record for April 25 in Kansas City. I have a feeling this will be a tough summer.

That's what we've been saying too. Gonna be a dry one. But it's been coming. We've had wet summers now for a couple years. Time for a dry one.

My weather is same as Leawood. lol. Had some strong winds earlier today now it's not doing much. Tomorrow back in the 80s!!

Climbing Peace finally blooming!

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Mountain View, HI

Winds have gone light from the south east bringing up tropical humidity and blue skies, much drier. Just walking in the garden makes you sweat. Going to be like this until Sunday.
Need to make a trip down to the far end of the forest path and bring back some bromeliad and azalea plants that were put in years ago as cutting. Nice mature plants now to add landscape nearer the house. Maybe too hot.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

IT is sunny and warm here today. Nice sixty degree weather,frost warnings for tonight . Some of tomato plants have doubled in size during the past 36hrs. Harvesting a few green onions and some lettuce.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Hot today (near 80) and sunny. Now (at 7:00 pm) it's still 73 and humid. It's supposed to be cooler and rain tomorrow - yipee! My borders are DRY.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Same as Leawood. lol

Named iris but don't know the name. It either came from Iris Hill at Powell Gardens or a co-op I did several years ago. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Only one of my Irises is open. A NOID from my niece.

.10" of rain so far this evening. 45º and may get down to 35º. We needed this good, long soaking rain.

No rain yet here. Just blustery winds, colder temps though it says 80 and mostly cloudy.

Some more irises. The purple/white ones are actually darker than in the pic. They are almost black in person. One of my favs!!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous iris, Pepper!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

GOTTA LOVE IRIS! Frost last night , burned a couple of vegies, 40s -50s tonight and tomorrow. Rain coming with warmer weather,partly cloudy with some sunshine today.

here's the clematis with more blooms

Thumbnail by juhur7
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

44°/53°/40°
Widely scattered showers and thunderstorms this morning. Clouds lingering later. Winds E at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Two weeks ago the boys gave me a cold and it morphed into a touch of sinus. It kind of went away. I've been working in the yard and decided to mow just the back yard. Well, I was kind of tired, but rested and kept going. I got almost done and I was so tired I couldn't move. I didn't realize I was getting the crud. I told DH earlier that the twins wore me out or I'm just really mellow. I'm never mellow! LOL! So down a couple days, still working outside, still babysitting and the crud came back with sinus. :o( It took three hours for my stomach to decide if I was going to throw up or be sitting in the bathroom. Luckily I just threw up the bit of water I had been drinking.

Daughter and SIL were getting goats ready for the sale and I went out yesterday, all day, with two kids who were also a little sick. We all understood each other, LOL!

Today they are to be here pretty soon so they can go over and watch the goat sale. Thankfully the boys stayed with their other Grandma last night and I thanked her for taking them.

I now understand what it is like to be drained of energy even tho I am still on my feet. I have never felt so tired without having the flu.

Today, the headache is going away. I would feel ok if it wasn't for that dang crud headache.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 5:51 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

3/10ths inch of rain as of 6:30 AM. Still raining. Working nice on our newly planted onions.

Set out cole crops Thursday. Always nice when planting time comes around.

We will finish laying plastic as soon as it dries off.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Upper 80's day/upper 60's night, sunny...all week long same thing.

Early_Bloomer, even though the snow picture looks pretty it is hard for me to imagine snow this late after such a warm winter. It would bum me out.

CountryGardens, I always love seeing your fields of plenty, would sure love some of that produce on my table.

Pepper love the tree stump with the climbing peace rose on it. I hope you get your drier season, you can send all the rain down here to Florida, we've been too dry the last few summers.

LeawoodGardener and Pepper love all the bulb flowers popping up, I have one crop of black iris and it needs to get real cool in the winter for them to flower in the spring, they didn't flower this year, so I enjoy seeing your pictures.

juhur7, love the clematis vine, I sure wish I could grow that down here.

Billy hope you shake that crud, I hate when you think you're finally over something and it decides to come back. I love my grandson, but he has given me a few colds.

I never took my mother to Bok gardens, she admitted to me she didn't think she could do all the walking, so I checked on a wheelchair and they wanted $60. for a rental a day...what a bunch of cr@p. So I took her to lunch instead and we had a nice time. It is so hard to see my mother aging and not able to do all the things she loves to do.

My first orchid blooms, and gardenias are blooming, the jasmine and gardenias smell so wonderful this time of year.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Mostly cloudy with some sprinkles here and there. Temps pretty decent. Tomorrow rain off and on.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45°/58°/50°
Areas of patchy fog early. Cloudy with occasional showers. Winds E at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Bernie,
We got 8/10'' rain and boy, was that at the right time!

Sherri,
I'm better than yesterday. By tomorrow I should be back to normal.
Oh, beautiful blooms!

Pepper,
LOVE the iris! I actually have three blooming myself!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Anyone else experience the golf to tennis ball sized hail yesterday? It happened 2 hours after I had just finished transplanting my eggplant, tomato, and pepper plants. Though almost every unprotected vehicle suffered shattered windshields, sun roofs, and rear windows; and many homes lost windows and had severly battered vinyl siding; my plants survived undamaged. It seemed trivial that I was concerned about my plants when so many suffered costly property damage, so I kept it to myself. However, my husband understood my relief. He knew of all my fussing and constant care to raise these plants from my own saved seed. Hopefully, I'll be able to share the fruits of my labor with some of yesterday's victims.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A nice, soaking rain overnight (about 3/4" in my unofficial rain gauge), with the possibility of more today. Now if we could only have a few more days of rain, things would be great!

Rain is God's way of giving gardeners a day off.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Yellow water lily after the rain.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Mountain View, HI

Yesterday was beautiful, sunny with some clouds and light wind.
This morning was cloudy, at about 7am there were indications of rain and by 8am it was coming down steady. Now noon and it hasn't stopped - just a steady moderate rain at about 70f.

Pepper23 - just love those flag irises. The best we can do here are the small tropical regina iris (Giant Apostle or walking iris)

Nice lily LeawoodGardner - We can do water lilies but the crowns are not getting the sun this year so they seem to be behind. We have one peach one blooming right now. Our local zoo/botanical gardens in Hilo has a wonderful waterlily pond which includes the giant Victorian waterlily in bloom (did i get the name right, the one with the large pads with upturned edges)

Greenbrain - that hail sound scary. I'll take our volcano anyday.

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb

Rain off and on all day and temps only in the high 50s. My grandma said she got an inch at her place and she is only 5 miles from me so we probably got around that much here.

Had a small delayed birthday party here today. It was supposed to be bigger but several people had stuff come up at the last minute; health issues or plumbing issues mainly and couldn't make it. Still had fun though!!

Climbing Peace rose and OSO Easy Paprika rose blooms.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous weather, sunshine! Supposed to rain toward the end of the week.

Still working at Mom's old house. Please keep us in your prayers.

We are still having computer problems as well.

Jeanne

Storms rolling thru again. We need the rain so no complaints here!! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm fine with the rain too. Please no more large hail! There's hardly a vehicle within a 5 mile radius that doesn't have a window shattered & large hail dents. Strange driving by the car lots & seeing all their damaged vehicles.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

52°/70°/50°
Through 10am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve by 7am.
Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Greenbrain,
I was looking at a video of the hail in TWC this morning, and how awful!! Not trivial when something we cultivated to grow gets destroyed. Only once has hail shredded my flowers and trees. I felt a deep sadness for the loss. I'd have to wait a year to see them again :o(
How nice to think of sharing the produce. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated!

Lea,
It is the perfect excuse to have a day off. I love to listen to the rain!
I adore water lilies! How lucky to have them!

Mike,
I would love to walk around your botanical gardens! The zoo too!
How beautiful!! I'd love to be able to grow an iris with those colors!
The peach lily is beautiful too!

Pepper,
At least you were at the party and had fun. I know people in my town are all coughing and getting over their illnesses :o(
Gorgeouses roses!!

Jeanne,
Prayers going out. I hope you cvan finish soon.

Yesterday, IT RAINED AGAIN!! We got 7/10'' on top of the 8/10'' and I am so happy! The weather is warm all week with no more freezing temps. Flowers are going to pop!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Got good T-storm yesterday and today just watch out for Flash Flooding Warning also still raining that what I need for!

I get still allergy so I keep take allergy medicines for rest of my life but if it need bad!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sun breaking through today. Looking for 70º.

Put the second stage of my desk in yesterday. The 4 large drawers hold hanging files.
Top small drawers are for paper & label stock.
Wood is Knotty Alder.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Mountain View, HI

heavy rain all night in the form of passing showers. Today started wet but has slowly dried out and is now a little more sunny with light occassional passing showers. Supposed to keep improving through the week. Problem is there is standing water around the garden. Not fun to work in
Not sure whether I mentioned it but we do have corrugated tin roofs on most homes here. If you pop your head up into our crawl space above the ceiling you see the underside of the metal. The rain really pounds on the metal. Sometimes have to turn up the sound on the telly in the evenings
Orchid Cactus bud and Fuchsia blooms taken today.

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb

Temps reached mid 60s and mostly cloudy all day with some patchy fog.

Clematis blooming away on it's trellis.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, your clematis is lovely. I've don't know why I've never planted one; esp. since they grow vertically & take up little space.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Right before the hail storm hit on Sat., I had visited my mom & dug up some lady fern or athyrium filix-femina that she wanted removed because it had spread into the lawn. I had planned to set it out that afternoon, but the storm hit 1st. I forgot all about the 4 potted fern until a while ago. They're sitting off the driveway in a SE corner near the house. The hail storm came out of the NW, so the fern survived unscathed. I just watered the fern & will plant it tomorrow evening rain or shine.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45°/76°/61°
Through 10am: Light rain developing around mid-morning. Mostly cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 60s. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.
This Afternoon: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

JuJu,
I'll bet you're as glad to get the rain as I am.
I hope I don't have allergies hiding in this crud.

Bernie,
That is beautiful! I love all the room to file things!

Mike,
We just put steel roofs on a few years ago. First 1'' x 2'' slats were put down and the roof was screwed to them. It's pretty quiet.
Both blooms are beautiful! I love fuschia, but can't get them to grow. I even bought a self waterer just for them and then don't find them for sale much.

Oh Pepper,
That is soooo pretty!

Greenbrain,
I only have one myself :o) My other trellis are for annual sweet peas.
Laughing, a memory fern. My memory plant is perennial geraniun my friend gave me. I threw 15 tiny starts in the garden as it lightninged and just made it into the house before getting drenched. They got moved later and I still have them :o)
It's awesome that they came thru being unscathed tho. Especially being a fern!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.