Yarden maintenance for April

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

And you have a great day too Ruby!

Congrats on getting your taxes done before the 'wire' ---- I start worrying about doing taxes as soon as the new year begins. Never as bad as I think (the 'doing') will be ----- but I sure expend a lot of energy fretting and fussing about having to do the darn things. I am no spring chicken now ---but I do wonder how bad it will get before I figure that I am just not up to it in spirit, organization, or recordkeeping! Will Uncle Sam come to get me???? My sis (in Fla.) filed hers via TurboTax and it was rejected --seems someone else filed it already using her hubbys SS. The ONLY time she gave out her hubbys SS number was in February during a ER visit. (He swallowed a toothpick......it was in a deli sandwich....... it got stuck.....enough said..) TurboTax advised her to call IRS. The lady at IRS confirmed that the 'taxes' were filed in February and the refund sent to a debit card. That was her first refund in many years! Boy is she hot. Plus she has to file a police report. Plus she has to contact major credit reporting agency and all her Credit Card and banks. A real hassle.

I passed a mirror the other day ---came in the house to get some water and a tissue because as soon as I hit the outside --the ole' allergies start. As I passed it ...I saw my image with blood running down my neck. Closer inspection -----that wee bit 'o mud on my neck was not mud but a dog tick! Bending over weeding must have put a lot of pressure in the neck veins because that tick could not keep up with the geyser that it had created!! It was stuck on good. Today have a big ole itchy welt where the tick hitched a ride. And this brings me to the next topic ..... which is good or Gita will get me for not sticking to Yarden work ... ;0) That is I put down an entire bag of bug stuff to keep the ticks and other critters at bay. That wasn't on my list of things to do for April --- but do it I did!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't believe how dry it's been. Newly transplanted plants are wilting within 48 hours.

Watering is my least favorite gardening activity! Dragging that hose around all over the yard is just too much.

I've been researching hose reels. Does anyone have a good one they'd like to recommend? Gita, is there a good one at HD that you would recommend?

I was considering something like this one, but the price!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,44639,33270&p=62106

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I hate the hose nonsense. We have not found anything that makes us happy with hose storage.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We've added a couple of bibs to reduce some of the hose dragging, but we still have a lot of hose to drag. We use 2 different reels to pick it up at least, they also protect the hoses from sun damage and make it a bit safer to walk. Ric

I guess it is obvious, only the box keeps the sun off. Ha Ha

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My favorite--and the most durable hose reel is the one I have.

It attaches with masonry bolts to the concrete wall of your house.
It is solid--sits tight--and you can wind and unwind the hose with a handle.

I have had mine forever. Used to be sold at HD--but now it is under a different name....

I hope I can find it......Here! This is close to the one i have. it is very similar....
No other is as durable and practical.....

http://www.wayfair.com/Suncast-Hosehandler-Wall-Mount-Hose-Reel-TWM2000-XA1007.html?refid=GPA49-XA1007&gclid=CLb965jcq68CFcJM4AodYifVoA

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly, I have considered getting a hose reel like that second one that you showed, it's similar to the ones we have at work, only the ones at work are all metal. The only thing is that I don't want to have yet anther thing sitting on the ground. I got this spike-thing that has the hose-holder part up high, so nothing really 'sits on' the ground, but it's still not "The Perfect Hose Reel", if ya know what I mean.

Gita, now THAT looks like "The Perfect Hose Reel"!!! For something like that, I wouldn't mind AT ALL making new holes in the wall of my house!!! Does it truly have a 225' hose capacity like the write-up says? That looks like a great design, too, no worries that the hose will get caught up in the side, between the reel and the 'wheel', so to speak. I've saved that page in my 'gardening' folder for future reference... and, probably not too distant a future, too! =)

I just got 2 new weeper/soaker hoses in the mail last evening, another 25' one, and a 50' one, along with 2... "splitters", I guess you'd call 'em.... ok, just double-checked Amazon, and it's the Gilmour 2-way hose connector. I'll share a pic here. I hope they work properly and don't leak, 'cause I'll need the ability to split off from my 'regular' hoses to my weeper/soaker hoses. Oh, and the weeper hoses are Gilmour as well. Does anyone have any experience with these? I've got one set up already, and that's how I learned that I'll need more. (I hate learning things the hard way!). So far, the one I've got laid out is working wonderfully, but of course it's only been a week or so. No leaking where I don't want it to, and it's holding the pressure very well. Are these supposed to be covered in mulch so ya don't see them? I know I'll have to bring them inside for the winter (that's just good tool care), and I have absolutely NO problem with that at all. What can you guys tell me about the use/placement of these things? I've never used them before and I feel like a complete idiot/newbie! ;)

Thumbnail by speediebean
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have one of those splitters and I like it. We have two hoses hooked up to it. One goes to the hose box that waters the Veggie Garden and front yard areas the other runs under the back deck to a hose reel that does the back yard area.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

sspeedie--

That hose reel is really great. That "thing" in front, where the end of the hose goes through,
is to guide the hose evenly on the reel as you wind if back up.
I have 100' hose on mine. A sturdy, good one. It is amazingly old--as I bought it at Franks Nursery and Crafts.

My reel is old as well, and was made by "Ames". You can still google "Ames" but all the hose reels
and accessories are now made by "Suncast".
If you Google "suncast", you will see other reels and things they make. Start with the link above--and, I am sure, you can
explore the whole site.

Gita

Gita ! you are so helpful. That lever....I thought it was to keep the hose in place AFTER it is wound up! I am always getting the hose jammed and then have to walk all the way back to the reel to fix it. I had no idea (I feel silly now) that it was to guide it and stop it from jamming.

PS that reel photo that you posted - I have that one and a black snake can completely hide in the sidewall... not a smidge showing...... it can curl up and hang out no issues. If I had not seen it go in - I would not have believed the side wall was deep enough. But the reel does work very well and I think ours is at least 5 years old. Nice and stable.

Now if we solved the hose reel problem, we need to solve the nozzle problem. THey're all so cheap and always break on me, or leak.. The only durable one is the old brass twist kind, colored exactly like my dirt and so easy to lose!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Boy did you hit a subject high on my pissed list. Last year I bought all new nozzles, I like the watering wands and I like the heads that you twist to change the type of flow. Like shower, jet, mist, ect. They aren't cheap and they never hold up. Out of the 3 new ones I bought last year none of them are in working condition this year. One had the handle break and the other two leak all over the place.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Planned obsolescence methinks.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

I also do not like, or use, the wand-type watering attachments at home. I do at HD. That is all we use...
Then--people throw them down and break apart the "shower-head" screen at the end of the wand.
And that is that! GONE!!!!!

At home--I prefer the fan-shaped hose-sprinkle attachment you can screw on at the end of your hose.
It gives a soft, shower-even watering to your beds--not harsh like from just the hose or other attachments..

I guess I am a creature of habit. I like what I have used for many years....
All the new "gizmos" do not interest me too much.

Many times I just use my finger over the open hose-nozzle to control the flow.
I can get strong--shower--or gentle just by altering the finger pressure on the hose-end. It works great.
Who needs attachments anyway?????

For oscillating sprinklers--nothing beats the old, small metal one--with the 3 prongs that rotate, covering at least
a 30' diameter--circular area, as it rotates and sprinkles.

The other one I really like, for smaller spaces, is the tiny, metal one with a round center of perforated holes.
This one waters in a good-sized circle in a coarse mist. Adjusting the water pressure--you can make it
cover a smaller circle--or, full flow--at least an 8' circle.
On this one--there are no adjustments on 1/2 circle or 1/4 circle, or anything. It goes in a full round spray.

In my garden--I have NO practical options for using a soaker hose. It has to do with where my water
outlets and my beds are located. The two will NEVER meet !!!

Basically, in my opinion, no one needs to spend mega $$$$ to buy fancy hose attachments to water anything.
You have your hose--and you have your thumb to apply various levels , and directions of water spray.

I mean this to refer to watering beds. For larger areas--of course--you need some kind of a sprinkler.,,
Buy a good one that will last you for years.

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We have those splitters and they are a help indeed. The hose reels would be great, but after reading missingrosie's post, I'd be worried about snakes. It sure would make things look better as it is too tempting to leave the hoses lying out rather than winding them up again by hand. We have hose bibs in two locations and one of those fan-type wands that Gita mentioned and also those nozzles. Nothing seems to really hold up over time.

Gita, you must have more thumb dexterity than I do. I'm sure I would pop one of the 6-pack seedlings right out if I tried watering that way. I've done it for the in-the-ground plants when one of the nozzles goes missing, but my thumb goes numb pretty quickly.

Photo is of former sprinkler heads turned garden watchers with a couple of additions.

Thumbnail by ecnalg
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Reposting photo for Pat in hopes it will properly enlarge.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pat---

I would not use my "Thumbs sprinkling" on seedlings. Never!!!
However--IF you press your thumb tightly over the hose opening--you will have a "mist".

I use this method on general garden watering. In my beds and on my more established, potted plants....
Because i am too lazy to screw on--and screw off a hose attachment each time I need to water anything.

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The nice thing with the splitter is that one side has the hose hooked to it and the other side can fill watering cans or whatever. That way, most of the time the hose attachment can stay on.

One of the hose attachments does not have a good connection any longer, and some water ends up on the waterer. I think pressing my thumb tightly over the hose opening will have me wetter than the garden. Truly, Gita, not all of us are blessed with the same degree of coordination. :-) Thanks for sharing, though, as I'm sure others could use this method with more success.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Those are so cute.
I like the wands makes it easy to reach the hanging baskets and window boxes. The adjustable flow allows me to use the jet spray to clean off the bird baths and other things without changing heads.

LOVE those sprinkler heads with eyes!!!!

I think I'll go back to thumb method. And with an endless supply of bad hoses, (another gripe, leaky fittings) there's always another with a cut off end, makes the thumb fit better. Ditto Holly, I so like those adjustable but yes the one I got last year is malfunctioning already. and SPRINKLERS, ho boy. I bought an back and forth one that broke the first try. Returned that. And bought a pretty one, with spinning copper tubes, no working parts per se. We have a chikcachickachickachicka-bzzz one for the lawn in general, seems pretty durable.

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL! Those sprinkler heads are too cute. I love "stuff" in my garden that makes me smile, I have a lifesize metal piglet and a cheesy cross-eyed rabbit from the dollar store that are my favorites. Life is too short to worry about pleasing the neighbors, if you have any, which I don't. ;)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm with you, Pam. Your lifesize piglet sounds awesome. Please share a picture of your favorites one of these days. DH laughed when I showed him the sprinkler head creatures. Neighbors on each side are too far away to see them, the cows across the street have never complained and the deer that come through are too busy eating the hostas to notice anything else.

Anyone else finding the gnats to be more abundant this spring? They have been around us in swarms for the past week or so.

I have a lot of question about foxgloves!

I wintersowed some white and yellow foxgloves and got great germination! They took awhile, but now the jugs are full of seedlings. I know they get really big, so how should I transplant these seedlings? Just use the HOS method and plant them in 6 inch pots for now?

When do they flower in this region? I saw some flowering foxgloves at HD this week. I know they were probably grown in a warmer region or a greenhouse, but my foxgloves from last year don't look anywhere close to flowering.

I know they're biennials, but what happens after the second year? Do they just die? Do I dig them up or just leave them?

Thank you all in advance!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

ss--

yes--They are biennials....Seed is normally dropped by early summer--and germinates before fall.
They grow into nice-sized seedling bunches and then go dormant for the winter--but do not die.

The same plants may look yukky by the time early spring arrives, but be patient! They will resume
growing and, very robustly so, and form quite large clumps. Removal of the old, dead eaves can be done--
but not necessary.

The leaves will continue to grow, in an upward-kind of a way--and then--BINGO! all of a sudden the flower stem will
grow straight up from the base and set buds. You should stake this flower stem--as it can get top-heavy with all the blooms on it.
The blooms start at the bottom--and as it grows upward--the blooms also flower in progression. The stem can get to 3'-4' tall.

When all the blooms are done--they form little seed capsules, filled with 100's of seeds--the size of dust-which fall to the ground
(or you can collect them). The seeds germinate, again, for next year.
These can easily be dug up in late summer/fall and moved anywhere you want to have them--just do it while they are sort of small.

The mother plant--after the second year--usually wastes away and dies.
It may not seem so--as many of the seeds have also fallen right down around the base of the mother plant---
thus looking like they Mama plant is, actually, coming back next year. They are just the new seedlings....

And--so the cycle goes.

If you seeded the seeds just this winter--I am not sure what "phase" they would actually fit into.
They may--or may not--bloom the following summer.

***NOTE***** Foxgloves are very toxic...Digitalis--a heart medicine--Be careful and wash your hands after handling them.
The seeds are the most toxic. Try to collect them safely! Wear gloves....

Hope this helps....Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good info, Gita.

Gita, that was so helpful! I'm now curious about what's going to happen to my wintersown foxgloves, since this is not the usual time for them to be germinating.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Greenthumb, Oh I just LOVE your little garden sprinkler "Lookers", they are so darned cute!! I'm with you, I don't do my gardening for my neighbors, I do it for ME. =)

Pam, your pig and rabbit sound adorable, I would love to see some pictures too. We've got these "spiked" little critters that we sell at work, and one of 'em is a bug-eyed fish... well, he's my favourite out of all of them, and I really should buy one but haven't yet... I'll share a pic, tell me what y'all think. (Pic #1)

Gita, I used to use the thumb method on my hose while watering, but my hands cramp up so badly after just a few minutes that I can't tolerate doing that for very long. =( Soooo, first, about, I dunno, 10-15 years ago we bought this "gun" type hose attachment, and after all this time it's still going strong. It looks "well-loved", but that's because it is! (Pic #2)
Then, 3 years ago (right after I started with the nursery), I got this watering wand at HD. I don't know who makes it, but I LOVE this thing!! It's got pressure settings anywhere from gentle refreshing mist all the way to "take your skin off". (Pic #3). I am anal about taking care of my tools so my "attachment" tools never get left outside, they come in after every usage and sit in their spots on my shelving unit. Hoses stay outside during warm weather, but they always come in for the winter. That's all to say, I guess that's part of why my watering tools have held up, I don't do like your co-workers (and mine) do at work and throw anything on the ground, UGH! (we have those where I work too, they ruin the screens of the watering wands by just throwing them around, grrr. I don't do that at home OR at work, it's shameful!) Pic #4 is of the screen of my watering wand... after 3 years it's still shiny enough to give off a reflection! =) And pic #5 is of the operational part of the handle of the wand... you can see the large 'trigger' and the yellow thing is to adjust the pressure settings. Even my small hands can use this thing with one hand, that's part of why I love it so much. =)

Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

speedie---

I have oodles of attachments but only use the fan-shaped one that waters with a nice shower.
The other one I use, when I need a really sharp, strong stream of water, like cleaning off the bottom
of my lawnmower, is that tiny, brass screw-on little cone. That will take your skin off!!!!

All the rest of the attachments sit in a container in my shed.....
For watering the lawn--I have several kinds--depending on the area to be watered.

It will be hot--hot--hot starting tomorrow. Up to 80+ beg. of next week.
Not gonna believe that it will be here to stay--but I may bring out some plants for a breath of fresh air.
Mostly my HB's and some of the larger plants...May even do the root-pruning of my Brugmansias.
Big job! Thy look so sad still sitting in my Shop--all dormant....

Gita

While doing maintenance, I decided to air the little bonsai ( a gardenia ) the nephew sent. It is my one and only houseplant and lives three seasons on the screened porch. It has been looking sick lately. I could see nothing wrong and assumed it missed the outdoors and its sunny ledge. Well this morn I saw a few (only 4 ) hard teeny tiny white masses on stems. Pulled off and underside brown dot. Squashed between tissue and blood like substance. No flies. No webs. No cottony stuff. Any idea what it could be?

Speedie, will you tell me the brand of that great fish? Been looking for birthday gift for SIL and the fish would be perfect. If big box store... Perhaps they ship to Fl.,or my sis can pick up for me and deliver.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol love to see garden 'art'. my whole yard is tongue in cheek when it comes to neighbor approval. it would be best if i were in the middle of nowhere, but alas, I can see the state capital bldg from my back yard, and i have no lawn! Seems i've given nature a head start in reclaiming this area should it be abandoned or revert to wild. So April is "Maintain My Clearing" month as I trim back multiple 'invasives' (Seems like each year, they gain an inch or two of open ground...Luckily, the bamboo I planted decades ago as a screen from hwy noise hasn't taken off yet. YET!!!! My latest is beating back honeysuckle (such a pretty plant in Spring with those red stems and indented leaves) .

Holly and Speedy I am a water wand fan thru and thru. Mine has 10 spray patterrn settings, a trigger handle, and I can adjust the angle of the spray head. See pic below. I also use BRASS splitters and Brass shut off valves on all attachments and hose couplings. I can replace the brass shut off valve instead of the entire wand, for instance.

In addition to using new washers every year, I've learned that there is a subtle difference in hose and watering paraphanalia that decreases the leak factor. I have found that some fitting connections are deeper than others and thus allow a few more turns of tightness to the seal.

Being down almost 5 inches of usual rainfall already this year in my area, means that "watering" will be a major part of gardening so I best come up with some better solutions now. Any of you using rain barrels? Wildlife is thirsty, too as their usual pools and puddles aren't there.

If I compost my invasive gleanings of honeysuckle, etc will I just be compounding the problem?

Thumbnail by coleup
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Missing---

Sounds like scale to me. You say "white"????? I suppose there can be white scale---is the body soft?
Are you sure it is not a mealybug? Is it a bit cottony?

Spraying does not do much on hard scale as they live under their little, waxy shell.
If they are Mealybugs, dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and swab them away. They will dissolve.
However--there will be more to come. These hide in nooks and crannies.

Because a gardenia is a woody plant--I would suspect scale OR mealybugs.

What I would do is apply a Systemic insecticide or granules. These go into the system of
the plant and all the juices become toxic. Takes 203 weeks...Any sucking insects would die.
Bayer makes a liquid Systemic. HD carries it. Bayer products all come on blue bottles/jugs.

Perhaps you can Google "scale" and see if anything matches what you have.

Also--be careful to not put a plant, that has been inside all winter, out on your "sunny ledge"
as it may sunburn. Do the graduated exposure. Shade---part sun/shade--and then the sunny ledge.

Hope this helps. Any others who want to chime in??? Gita

Crozet, VA

Wow......lots of talk about watering and it is so early for this to be a topic. Scary really. I was informed a bit ago that the agenda for the day with other half of my gardening team is to water all the hundreds of pots of plants sitting around the yard. I haved watered my deck pots a few times recently and I know that they too need a cool drink and probably later today will be when I will get some time to go out and do it.

Terri, you and I are opposites where watering is concerned. That is my favorites part of gardening. I can be one million miles away from any worry or concern while doing it. I find it very relaxing look forward to doing it. Finding the time to do it is another thing.

I too love Pat's little martian looking buddies. They are adorable. I love garden art. I have several of those shiny balls that sit atop a pedestal type of thing that are all sitting snugly in my greenhouse/storage shed. We had one out several years ago and other team member broke it to bits at some point. i want to make a point to get them out this season and display them.

Sally, the Michael Archangel you gave me at one of the swaps has gone gangbusters spreading under the pine tree where it has lived since getting it and potting it up. It has spread on the ground for several feet in various directions. I can add this to my swap HAVES list whenever I get the time to update my lists.

Cole, the Bleeding Hearts are all still blooming their hearts out. As for others who have been so kind over the years to share garden and house plants, thank you all so very much for everything. Good report on most everything and please know that you are all very kindly thought of as I tend those precious and special gifts you have given me.

The weekend is upon us and I want to wish a good one to be had by all. Take good care.

Ruby

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

speediebean, that fish smile is a little eerie, kind of like the clown in the USPS commercial. But it's your garden, have fun with it. I would send pic's if I had a camera that worked, maybe I will try to charge the stupid battery again. It was a birthday gift from my DH a few years ago and doesn't want to hold a charge. I think my stepson will be down this weekend Maybe he can help me. Opps! Almost sent one of my youngest granddaughter! Not functional this AM, hope my boss doesn't notice!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking the same thing Gita, Sounds like it might be scale. They can be very hard to get rid of.

Warrenton, VA

Milorganite is SUPPOSED to be a great deterrent for deer! I have not used Milorganite (yet), but am willing to give it a try. Seems that deer hate anything that will leave a scent on them, as they are prey animals...so if Milorganite is smelly, it should help! Neat thought, huh. I used "Chickety Doo-Doo" on my lawn last year with great result (worth buying just for being able to say you are using it-LOL), but will switch. Best tool is my father's tape measure for my vegetable garden planning - it's so nice to get everything designed on paper and go out there with that tape measure...makes me think of him and how proud he would be that I am using his tools in a garden. Neatest plant would be the "Gold Cone" junipers (yes, junipers) that I just bought and also the "Soft Serve" Chamaecyparis shrubs for my cinderblock 1950's cottage for the foundation. Hope they thrive in their new home!

Warrenton, VA

For the messages abut the different types of sprinklers, thank you! I came back to Virginia a few years ago, having had a life (and then not) in Arizona for about 20 years, and now can garden again! And I am with a vengance! And with many thoughts of my deceased farmer father, who taught me so many things about gardening...anyhoo, after spending too much on new gadgets, I've come back to the old-fashioned type of sprinkler - the long, "fan shaped" type. It is simple, sprays back and forth, gentle, and actually soaks the ground it is covering. The wind does not seem to fight it like the oscillating types (I've been very disappointed in watering with these types, only to find that they really did not do their job after long time). I bit the bullet and bought a fancy metal one this Spring, and my newbie-gardener husband really admires it! He can see the difference, and that is enough for me! Since our veggie garden is his pride and joy, this sprinkler is a great asset to our regime. Bless all of you for your interesting thoughts - oh! It is SO GOOD to pull a weed or two, then "listen" to you all...!

Ruby, I think I might enjoy watering if I didn't have to fight the darn hose.

Last year I had to throw away 2 cheapo hoses (holes and cracks), so I now have 2 sturdy hoses that are long and quite heavy. There's no danger of them tearing anytime soon, but they're difficult to maneuver. I also have to be very careful about not crushing the ground covers as I drag the hose all over the zigzagging flower beds that wrap around the house. One of my hellebores was killed last year by repeatedly getting hit by the hose (although remarkably, another hellebore that was crushed survived).

That's why I was looking for some sort of a hose reel. I can't stand looking at this 100 feet of jumbled mess!

I got a watering wand at the end of last year, which I LOVED! I stored it away in the shed, but now it's gone! It has mysteriously disappeared. Do they end up in the same place where missing socks go to hang out?

Gita - I am sure not mealy bugs--- no fluff and no bugs. This sac (Cocoon) is hard and very small - smaller than those wee multicolored sprinkles that we put on cookies but bigger than a grain of sugar. It is stuck on the stems not the leaves. Leaves look clean and green mostly with an occ yellow. But not thick and populated with leaves like before. When I 'snap' 'scrape' the little sac off - the underside has a little speckle of brown and when I squish it between paper towel --it is red like blood drop. I looked it up and put in the search 'photo of' scale and spider mite (since spider mite has a bit of blood when it is squished I am reading) but no photos came except a actual mealy bug.

I got impatient -- so I got out the big guns --- at least in my world.
I sprayed the entire plant with LYSOL kitchen cleaner and then rinsed after 15 min. I hope it lives!!!! Lysol takes care of everything in my world. (I know I shouldn't have done it.) (The Devil made me do it.) I detest houseplants...by my fav nephew gave me this and so sentimental. I used to squirt him down with Lysol occasionally too when he was small (he is 40 now!) We will see. He lived.

I did take it to the dappled ledge of the screened porch and we have had hot days and cold nights (near freezing) so have carted it in at night.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 5:02 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

missingrosie, Here are some pictures of scale. Look at the 5th picture of Scales of pine and spruce
http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4DMG/Pests/scale.htm

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 5:57 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Missing rose---

Do you have a "University of NC" in your area?
Many states have a U. of (?) Cooperative Extension Service. They answer all kinds of questions.

Try contacting them...Sending a sample in a small zip-baggie, or a picture will help....

Gita

Yes to the university of NC - 5 minutes from house.. NC State is th Agricultural School and that is Raleigh about 30 min away.

Thanks Holly- that scale is nasty looking. The description suggests soft globular shapes. These are crusty / papery but one or two in the photo could be similar. There were only 5 on the wee bonsai total not clustered- but infestation is prob new since leaves don't look bad.

We will see what the lysol does -- if not helpful or death blow delivering- I may go Gita's direction since this has sentimental value. Will definitely stop at local nursery and ask also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.