What Have You Winter Sown So Far? (Page 3)

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Well, finally Carnival Hollyhock and Shirley Poppy seeds from last year that were WS have germinated, along with some marigold seeds.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

You cut the top off about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down. I usually try to fill with potting soil about 1/2 way and soak the ps with water. (This makes it easier to add the seed) I then add about an inch of seed starting mix and plant the seeds. Cut a slit in the top (Maybe 1") so you can slide it back over the bottle easily. (do not put the screw top back on the bottle. It needs to stay open for air and moisture.) Either write on the top or bottle what it is with a paint pen, or put a plant tag inside the bottle. Don't use a sharpie as they will fade out. The best I have found for writing on the plant tags is a regular #2 pencil as it will not fade.

Any more questions, just ask. I hope I explained well.

Yes you did. I see how you do it. So you must sow fairly small amounts of any one seed? Guess that makes sense. Heaven's knows where all this stuff I sowed is going if it even it does a 50% germination. I NEED my NEW beds desperately!! Only about a foot of snow on that part of the lawn where it wasn't piled up clearing paths or driveway. I found my crocus coming up literally through the snow. Shoveled about 12" off and there their little tops were. So cute. Just love them.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's another idea for punching holes in plastic containers. I use an old "phillips" head screwdriver that was about to be thrown out of my shop tool collection because the tip was too worn out to turn screws. It fits across the burner on our kitchen range to heat up before punching holes while the handle stays nice and cool. I haven't managed to burn my fingers with it yet, seems to work good.

By the way, plastic containers are everywhere, though I think most of us already know this. I use containers from oleo, cottage cheese, coolwhip, milk jugs, yogurt, and fruit cups just to mention a few. The list is endless, so try to save money where you can.

Al

But then you need to tops for them also. And what about depth - is 2" of soil plus at least 2" of free board enough?

I tried using a drill to make drainage holes but found that the plastic would crack around the holes, the reason I use a hot nail to melt holes.

I use potting soil except for the upper 3/4". There I use seeding soil since it is finer. I don't put holes in the lid. The idea is so I don't have to water during the winter. The shoe boxes are placed in a larger bin with covers to prevent a dog, etc from disturbing them.

I only winter sow perennials. I don't see benefit in wintersowing annuals since they don't need stratification. They are too easy to sow anyway.

For small amount of seeds I also use what I have. The blue containers in the large bin are containers that had ham in them.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I use most of mine for annuals, but a few are perennials also. Often I don't even use the snap on tops at all, but cover them with Glad wrap secured by a rubbber band. It helps to see the seedlings through the wrap to see if they are germinating. Sometime I cut strips out of the plastic covers to make neat ID tags for my plants.

I don't worry too much about the top clearance as long as I have at least 2" of good quality potting mix in the containers with an inch or so to the top. The glad wrap comes off when the seeds show signs of germination anyway.

The plastic shoebox idea is good. I've used them before to sprout marigolds and zinnias. I once had a huge amount of saved marigold seed I planted in several shoeboxes, then cut apart (like a brownie) with a knife six weeks later for transplants.

Al

Just wondering. Yes, I have a thought, and that doesn't happen very often. lol I wonder instead of heating something up over the stove or whatever, if a hot glue gun, without the glue, would make a nice hole and not mess up the gun. I love using my cordless drill and the pop bottles, so will probably stick with that.

Mary, I'll try to remember to take a pic of my ws pop bottles for you. Actually, I put quite a few seeds in them, unless they are really big seed. Sometimes I will start seed in a Jiffy pellet greenhouse inside, then put them in the jugs for more growth when it gets warmer. One jug will hold 3 pellets. I plant several in the pellets too, not just one, then cut them apart to plant them. I usually hold off until May 1st to put my plants in the ground , but I broke down today and started planting some things from my ws jugs. lol

Sounds like everyone has a way to ws that works for them and they like. I know you can buy the shoebox plastic boxes at The $1 Store, where everything is a dollar. Don't know about any of the other dollar type stores, but I'm sure that is cheaper than Walmart. OMG, another thought! What is wrong with me today! LOL!!!!!

I was reading the news on my laptop when something darkened the window to my left. I missed the head but the body of the moose walking down my sidewalk within inches of the window all but filled the window. I figure a full grown mother. Wonder where baby is. I went outside to see if she was in my garden but other than a huge footprint or two she didn't seem to have done any damage to my iris and daffys coming up. Time to mix up a batch of Planskyyd and drench the snow and parts of the bed exposed.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I don't like Plantskkyd because of the staining color that stays on the plants, but I got 4 boxes of them at a very special price. Also it clogs my sprayer, any suggestions? (I have loads of deer!) Liquid Fence seems to work pretty well, if I get out there in time as the deer will mow the tulips to the ground if I miss them...YIKES!!

Yes, I agree on the staining. That includes your house and mailbox and it doesn't fade away. I bought the liquid for for a few years then went to the powdered form because it is about half the price. I mix it well and let it sit in a five gallon bucket. Then I wrap cheese cloth around the top of the canister and pour it very very slowly in. If you go too fast it will spill over. It does soak the cheesecloth and can be messy no matter what. Before using the canister, I pull the filter from the inside of the container and clean and clean it well. I also make sure that the nozzle fitting (brass) and the plastic piece at the end of the house are totally clean. Shake the container well after pouring in the stuff to further break up any potential clumps. After using up the canister full, I reclean the filters. A pain I agree. But so is losing all my plants. And not just the eaten ones. One big hoof print on top of iris, peonies, tulips, daffys etc will about kill them. Even if they haven't emerged from the ground the hoof prints are at least 4" deep down to the frozen level beneath. fortunately the majority of my garden is out back behind fences. But I am thinking of adding a third bed out front and even though it would be pretty much all dormant plants or dahlias, the 'stomping into mud' issue is still present. I refuse to consider using a moose fence in a suburban area especially as we share a lawn with a neighbor. We own 3/4 and they own 1/4 so it would be pretty mean to run a fence right down the property line, even if it was only meant to protect my gardens.

My black poppy seeds have germinated today. YEAH!!!! I was so worried. Hopefully they will all follow suit now. I also have (sown inside) squash and cukes coming out my ears. Boy do they take off fast. Need to get the zuchinni going. Hmmm. Maybe it is time to WS that sort of stuff outside now. In containers. Green onions, zukes, and a retry on my nasturtiums.

Columbus, OH

I use a cheap soldering iron to make holes in plastic containers.

Visual image! That would be awesome to watch a moose walk by your window! But I guess it isn't real unusual to you.

I know one of my poppies that is growing whole heartedly is the lavender ones. I know that because I put them in the large planter that has my elephant ears in it. The EE are just coming up so not blocking any sun from them, but they do get morning shade.

That's a good idea too Celene.

I don't see many lavendar germinating yet. And I was really disappointed. The seeds I got from OSPS haven't done well. but I am pretty sure it is my fault. How I planted them. I have a few starts so I will transplant into better containers today and hope for the best. Poppy seeds seem to be really hardy souls.

Pardon my dumbness, but what is OSPS?

lol. No dumbness. I had to ask what ROS (Rose of Sharon) and LOV (Lily of the Valley) was. OSPS (One Stop Poppy Shop)

LOL ..... at least they have a cute name.

Here is another one of my uses for a strawberry jar besides strawberries. lol I just buy small begonia plants and re-plant it every spring. Doesn't over winter well in the house. You can just plant them straight into the hole and as they grow, they will start growin upward. These have been planted probably 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by Crit
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Lots of good information here. At what point should the top come off the milk jug? Is it ok to leave the plants in the jug until they're ready to go into the ground or do they need to be potted up fist?

Crit, I do the same thing with the dark leaved begonias in a light green mosaic tiled strawberry jar and they do look great!!

I've been away from home babysitting for a few weeks and was so happy to see all the seedlings in my winter sow containers. Most every jug has something in it but half of them have just a few of the seeds germinating.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

Do you put a tube down the middle with holes in it to get the water to evenly distribute. I have been planting, transplanting and watering all day. Oh, and shoveling snow. Can't forget that. I have no clue what I am going to do with it all. Especially squash and zuchinni. I mean how much of that stuff can two people eat. I am taking five classes at the cooperative extension to learn how to use a pressure canner, hot water bath canning, drying and freezing. That should about cover it. Somewhere in there someone can tell me what to do with excess squash. The zuchinni I grate and freeze along with the rhubarb but into 1/2" chunks just right for cooking with. Another jug has sprouted; it is the red-lavender peonies. Pretty soon I have to HOD out the two jugs that have been busily multiplying. I don't think they could stay in there til middle end of May. They would never transplant they would be so bound up together.

Roses, that is really pretty. I use the dark leaved ones too as my is in mainly shade.

Yes Mary, I have a piece of PVC pipe in the middle for watering, and also run the water hose around the outside of the jar to let it get in from the outside too.
You will be an expert when you finish all your classes. I have done all of them, however, with out the aid of classes. I'm sure that would really help. About the only thing I dry is beef jerky. Need to work on some other things too.

I'll be following your advice and putting a pvc pipe with holes in it, stuck right down the middle!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

A good idea here is to plant the dang poppy seeds right into a container and grow them right there. Now THAT's an idea I can use. Have avoided sowing the poppies because I hate the transplant process. I thought about sowing them on the ground where I want them, but I also have some black seeds and there are too few Crit to risk just throwing them down.

Thanks for the idea. :D

xox

p.s. I bought Court an EE bulb last year and it is sending up shoots now. It is in the ground. I want to move it - transplant it somewhere away . . . how will THAT do on transplant do you think? Best to put it in a pot? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I still have some that haven't germinated yet. Interesting since they are all so similar and sown the same day the same manner. Weird. But they will come....patience. I will be transplanting some soon and have been thinking about how I can maximize the number of plants I get. Thinking I will use a small olive fork (like for olives at the dinner table) to get very tiny hunks and try to spread them a little when they go into individual pots. That's what I did last year. If some don't germinate, I still have some seeds left of each kind - enough to at least spread them and hope for enough plants to get seed pods.

A. I have most of my EE's in big pots. They usually survive the winter and come up again in the spring.

I think tomorrow after I finish planting the plants I got at the Herbal Affair yesterday, I'm going to work on seperating the poppies. Some are about right but others are too thick.

How tall are they, the poppies that is

Athens, PA

I have poppies coming up that I broadcasted in the garden. I had read that this is to be done in November. Glad I did this - I already have over 100 jugs of seeds that are popping up with no idea where to put them. WS'ing is like a dog that goes into the river swimming - if you dont' the dog tethered they will swim to Canada....(at least our dog would do that)

LOL. Good analogy Carolyn. I am glad I stopped filling jugs when I did. Can't say it was a roaring success but I sowed a lot of seeds that maybe don't work here. Some are perennials here so I would have expected better results from them. Not giving up yet. YEAH! The landscaper is coming Wednesday to look at our plans and give us the (heart arresting) estimate. that may cause a bit of a scale back.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

I had to go out to take a picture of my Centaura growing out of the two liter. I have poppy drama queen, ruds, malva, scabiosa chrysanthemum are growing like crazy.

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

Boy, you leave your plants in their containers way long. I would have thought to get them out much smaller. I will have to rethink my plan. Most of my garden is out from snow; now to wait for the ground to thaw. With the sun hitting it, it should happen soon.

Anita, how the heck are you going to get those Centaura seedlings safely out of the container. IF too much growth with loss of roots when you get them out, they won't stand much chance. I would trim them back after you transplanted them. That way those roots left won't have to support so much green growth while getting established and growing new roots. I always do that when transplanting or dividing.

Below is a transplanting hormone solution to help plants get established quicker. It is diluted with water. I use it on everything and it is great. Walmart and Home Depot have it.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Blomma, I have Quick Start too. I have used it for years. Unfortunately, we are still getting lows temperatures. Last night was in theow 30s. I'm afraid to transplant until we out of danger of frost. I would love to get everything planted but it is a lot easier to cover while in the containers. Do you all transplant as soon ad the ground thaws?

As my container plants get big enough, I transplant into individual small pots but leave them outside. I can't plant in the ground until May 30ish. Oh, and Garden Gnome poppies germinated today. I really like them. I didn't think that different poppies would have different germination times but it sure seems so. Sorry I planted them in rows in flats, in some cases four different types.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Anita, I can hear your Centaura from here, "Let me ooouuutttt!! Oh PLEASE let me out!!!" LOL!!!!!! I let mine get that big too, when it's just too darned cold to plant them out into the ground. My first year I had MONDO-sized Bachellor Buttons that were just screaming to escape their WS jugs. They did just fine. =)

LoL @ Speediebean I have a few that are screaming.

Mine will need to stay trapped for a while also. Looks like the extended weather forecast for this area will have really cool nights until AFTER Mother's Day!

Athens, PA

Teri - that far out? Crud! I cannot get warm unless I am in the shower or under the covers with the electric blanket jacked up...... Don't like this cold dampness.

Mary, most of the poppies are about 3-4" tall. We are having a cool down with a high of 66* next week. Still having flucuating weather. 66* is going to be our LOW Wed & Thur!

Tomorrow will be our warmest day for a while (60 degrees). I see my Salvia Patens Blue Angel, Delphinium Magic Fountain-Lilac, Verbascum Southern Charm, Spicata Rose Veronica, Blue Baptista Australis, Soulmate Butterfly Weed, Delphinium Magic Fountain Cherry Blossom and Helena Gold Helenium are doing ok. No sign of my Astra Pink Ballon Flower or my Crimson Spotted bellflower.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm afraid that, in the next week or so, all my WS jugs are going to get emptied out whether they like it or not, I'm sick and tired of all that CRAP sitting around on my deck doing nothing!! I think I'm going to just cut the tops and bottoms off/out, and stick jug and all down in the beds with a spit and a prayer, and hope for the best. But, it probably won't happen until next weekend (nearly 2 weeks from now), when I know I'm not going to be going anywhere the whole weekend. Harrumph!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.