Clematis chat for spring

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't think they would mind a few branches missing...lol

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Apologies are easier than asking permission. Bring them some cookies when you apologize!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the laughs everyone, regarding cutting the neighbor's branches, it made my evening. Soon everyone will have clematis blooms and I'll be the envious one.

Lee, keep us posted with how your fertilizing plan works. I do have to say that I also added rose fertilizer, composted manure, and Epsom salt to my clematis. I'm afraid to use the alfalfa pellets, because I do have rabbits who seem to think that my garden is for their fine dining.

Jake welcome to the clematis forum. These ladies and gentlemen have been wonderful since I started watching and posting here, and I have much better clematis vines to show for it thanks to all the great advice. Annette

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW everyone in Z7 those clems look great.
I have not been generous to Donohues in the past but was given several of their clems last summer and they are doing well. I will raise my star catagory to 7 out of 10.
Isago is doing the best
I also got Crystal Fountain
Galore
Niobe ( it started good but the cat broke the stem off )there are shoots comming so it not a loss.
Ashva
Moonfleet ( didnt make it )
Petite Faucon

Photos later when the sun comes up.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's pix of clems from Donohues ( first season )

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836

They'd love a drink of Epsom salt right now. One tablespoon to a gallon of warm water should provide new sprouts to all of them. That's not a gallon each - but one gallon spread amongst all your new clem's.

For established clem's anyone can use the same Epsom salt mixture and give each plant either a quart or a gallon.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl

And don't forget the mulch!

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone.
ge -nice selection from Danohues ! I have grown a few over the years, most of them did fine and I would blame my gardening skills on the losses! I grew them out in 1 or 2 gallon cans in a cold frame.I noticed that your plant of 'Crystal Fountain' is growing well as a small plant. Mine is second year and is very vigorous.

Speaking of vigor- It might be fun for use to list a list of clematis that are vigorous for us, maybe add exposure and zone? I will start.

Will Goodwyn East new zone 6? Lee S.

Lee - that would be a great topic for a new thread. This one needs a continuation as it is. Please start one for vigorous or robust clematises. Thanks.

New thread for chat: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252200/

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Should the epsom salt be applied to ones with buds/flowers?

No harm will come if you do it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, I have thought that I and my neighbors all have Belle of Woking. But look! Their aren't white. They're light lilac! Besides, mine are finished blooming. Their just a tad later in blooming time.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Kim - Belle of Woking is a pale silvery lavender in color, which fades to white.

Come join us for more chat at the new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252200/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.