Clematis chat for spring

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

DoA is over 3ft tall, Pink Champagne has nice fat buds, Crystal Fountain is growing a lot of stems, and Mrs. C is heading towards 2ft tall. This crazy early warm weather has really triggered lots of growth. It was in the 80's again today, and our winter is over in the southeast, per the weatherman this week. Oh my!!!!

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful photos, Annette, and all good news except for the missing brick. I love your stone work and railings - so ideal to allow the clematises to show their beauty.

Here I thought I had somehow killed Rooguchi since it had so much top growth in November and none as of last week but that warm weather has at least 20 sprouts showing up now. Hurray for spring!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Annette, your gardening setting is charming! Josephine is also known as 'Empress' isn't it? How exciting with your clemmies this year. Did you know, we hit the record high yesterday being in the mid. 80's, compared that to record low back 1993 was 12 degree F. that same day. Whoa, can you believe winter is over for real?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks ya'll, LOL. Kim, I do believe winter is over, it was really hot today, ewww!!! I'm glad I did a lot of spring garden work when it was cooler last week. We're breaking heat records here too, this doesn't bode well for us this summer.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I tought this was a Josephene, which one would you rather have?? I take both. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

That looks absolutely delicious, wow. Do those ship well???? LOL.

No fair, Etelka, especially right before bed!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Chem !That is one beautiful row of tulips and roses.
The clems look great.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My clems are doing great, knock on wood, my Gypsy Queen grow 5 inches overnight, so maybe I will have some purple clematis to, instead just pink a blue.
Pirl, you asked me about my bottlebursh bush flower, I just noticed this morning it is half way open, I tought to send you the pictures. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone, I am enjoying your pictures of spring growth very much. My wife and I have been spending the last few wees here in Hilton Head South Carolina and will be going back up to New York state about the first of April and gather it has been an incredibly warm spring in the north also. I recall last April 2ond almost home in northern Pa and all Hell of a winter storm broke loose,there were rain torrents washing mud and gravel out on the major roads....after dark! then a personal favorite intermittent freezing road surfaces depending on elevation.....oh and no places to stay if I where smart enough to get off the roads,what fun the north can be! We made it just fine but what a difference !Hi Carolynn, I know you live near me, how is the growth on your clems? I am a little concerned about n trained growth but I will probably work it out. Lee Sherwood McDonald

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Lee! we sure are having a nice March. Everything is bustin out. All of us have thet companion of dread for April.It snows then too.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks ge, it's a camillia that's bloming, and the azaleas that you see in the background.

Etelka, that bottlebrush flower is adorable, how tall is that bush?

LSM, good to see you posting, hope all is well, and that you're enjoying your time in Hilton Head. It's hot in the south, in the 80's again today, and everything is growing rapidly here. I'm already dreading the summer heat if it's already this hot in mid March. Annette

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cem9165. the bottlebursh bush is over 5' tall but it will get much taller later, I bought it last year.Etelka

Love the bottlebrush, Etelka.

Magnolias are bursting here so a frost will turn them black. I might as well enjoy them as they are today. It's too scary to think of frost and snow.

Lee - good to have you back with us.

Athens, PA

Lee

Most of my clems are starting to show some growth. The only ones I have not seen any growth on are the ones that I have planted on the North side of the house. We are supposed to be 80 degrees on Wednesday and on Thursday as well.

Welcome back!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I wanted to inform everyone that the Clem,s that the tree men ripped from the trellis, are coming back strong. That is a Nelly and Josephine for ya.

I was thinking of putting some chicken wire around one of the down spouts and planting a clem on it, Has anyone ever done this?

Athens, PA

Marie

Yes! It works very well. I had my son put up some wire around a downspout and it is perfect. The water from the rain helps to keep the roots cool and moist.

Carolyn

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have chicken wire supports around trees. Now if the clems would appear I would be happy.
Most of mine are showing. I am wondering if the 3 years of failures in one spot is due to the soil conditions.

Louisville, KY

My clems are growing vigorously. Some are 4 feet tall while all are 2 to 21/2 feet. Most have flower buds. I'm not sure thats a good thing.

The only one not showing is my Montana grandiflora. Of course , I cut it down with a weed eater last fall... so not much can be expected.

Kathy and Arlene...my Viburnum Carlesi is in full bloom. I'm not sure which of the cultivars it is. It's 5 years old and probably 5feet tall and the same wide. The scent is heavenly. I took two cuttings from it. One struck roots and I don't know about the other. I planted the one in the back of the border.It's a sad little thintg with only one tiny leaf at this point.

(Zone 7a)

My Viburnum carlesii is only 3 years old and this will be it's first year blooming. The buds are swelling and I'm getting impatient.

The clems are still mostly hibernating.

Louisville, KY

Kwanjin you will love it. The scent carries all over the garden

Athens, PA

I still have more clems to cut back. I haven't fertilized yet either - typically I do that during the month of April, but it seems that the weather has gotten things really sprouting.....

I just do a section at a time, Carolyn. So it's 6 clem's here and 8 clem's there, etc. It's just the easiest way for me to handle each garden.

Louisville, KY

You cut back your clems?????

Athens, PA

You know Arlene - that is probably what I will have to do this year. Typically I hit all my type 3's and go around with my rose fertilizer, fertilzing all the clems and my roses at the same time. This year is not going to be the same. Things are popping all at once and there are a myriad of other things going on as well. Baking some cookies later in the week to take to my son's house for dinner the end of the week.

John - yes, I cut back all my type 3's to the first or second node. Type 2's and 1's have the dead cut off and any shaping they may need. Everything gets fertilzed.

I agree with Carolyn. All type 3's have to get cut back for best performance. They are always the first ones I attack since type 1's don't require any cutting back. Type 2' may or may not need trimming but can be pruned after they bloom to give a better second flush of blooms.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

ge...what type of tree?

You know..Pirl and Carolyn, about the time your done with cutting back all your goodies, mine will need it tooo!!! I always leave any growth til spring cleanup. I even have several pair of Felcos, lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Warrior wisdome ,its a evergreen, mostlikely spruce as the last of the scots pines was taken down in January. Beetle infestation. The whole sub division was landscaped in evergreens 20 years ago.
I did see shoots comming from my Ashva clem. I saw them without bending over with a magnifier. Isago ,planted near it hasnt showed up yet. Its the one I transplanted because it wasnt planted deep enough last fall. I set it in the same placebut deeper.

All I need is patience.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy day, first clelmatis bloom. My Sunset has 2 flowers on it, it is a nice color, darker then last year. Also my white Ladybanks rose is in bloom, not to many times you find a white one. Off to making lasagna for my folks in the Church. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

Lovely, Etelka. Enjoy the blooms...and the lasagna.

This sure looks like blooms coming to me, what do you think? This is one of my Nelly's.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Wonderful! You'll have flowers shortly.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its the elNino effect

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Found this fun page from the Netherlands with some great photos of obscure clematis, well, not all of them are obscure.
http://www.clematisinfo.nl/en/1280_1024/default.asp?path=content.asp?pid=2187

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

wonderful site

Nice site, Sue. Kaguri is beautiful.

I have tibetana but it may not return after being trampled thoroughly when the tree fell in the back last year.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey ya'll the clemies are still growing rapidly in the south thanks to all this early heat. DoA is now over 5ft. I keep having to tie her up every few days. I suspect Pink Champagne will be open in the next 1-2 days based on how fat her buds are. Patricia Ann Fretwell is growing nicely as well, and my noid is no longer a noid, it's Niobe which is close to 5ft, I found the tag. Yipeee!!!! And, just for chuckles, the cherry trees are starting to bloom, and the tulips are going gangbusters. We're finally going to get some rain tomorrow, and slightly cooler temps after for a few days.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wooohooo!!! Annette, we've rain all day long. One gentle but steady rain. And with the current temp. Like you've mentioned our Southern gardens are going to explode with color! Beautiful Kwansan cherry blossoms, and the tulips underfoot!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim, and thanks for the cherry tree id. My DH and I were racking our brains trying to remember the name. Of course when they were planted 7 years ago who knew about saving tags, LOL. I'm looking forward to some rain, ours should start tonight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.