2012 Iris blooms!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I have SDB buds!

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

No iris buds here. In fact, I weeded all my iris beds yesterday and today and made sure that any winter blown leaves were cleaned out of the beds. Tall Bearded Iris all look good this year. I didn't find any that died over the winter so no empty spots to fill. That is great that they all did so well but means I definately have no room to order anything new. Not unless I find something to toss after bloom season and honestly I don't feel I have any uglies that need tossing!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats the trouble with making good choices when we start. No uglies to toss,I cant wait to see what comes from my new plants.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

That is why I am letting most of my 1951-199o maybe up to 1995. I want to have room for a few newer ones and I just don't have any more room either. As it is, I am going to have to move some that are getting crowded out by yuccas! The yuccas grew soooo much faster than I thought they would!

I did dig out and give away about ten types of Tall Bearded Iris plants after bloom season last summer. But after moving around some others that I had planted in spots that just did not work out I didn't have any empty spots. So I guess no new plants this year. I don't have anywhere that I could even make a new gardens as I already have dug up just about all the lawn.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

My dwarf iris are beginning to bloom! I need to get pictures, but I have blooming "Sleepy Time" (lt blue), "Baby Blessed" (yellow), a white NOID, and a purple NOID. YEAH! Will post pictures later tomorrow. Today is DH's birthday and we are going out to celebrate with family at a local restaurant.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

What a wonderful way to celebrate your hubby's birthday, Debbie.

I don't have a lot of Irises and will run out showing pics long before you all do, but will very much enjoy seeing your pics.

"Irish Chant", a gift in one of our plant swaps two years ago, is blooming a month earlier than she usually has in late April.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

SDB "With Castinets" and "What Again"

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252 Thumbnail by irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

SDB "Sleepy Time" and "Baby Blessed"

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

SDB "Skyray" and "Wizard of Hope"

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Unknown White and Unknow Purple

Very pretty!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

SDB "Open Sky" and possibly "Boo" but not 100% positive

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Rita! Should have more over the weekend....lots of buds to open!

Fruit: Love 'Chant"...don't have that one. I've acquired most of mine through the swaps!

So pretty! Really like your "Skyray" and possibly "Boo".

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Love Irish Chant, so pretty, and it looks prolific!

Nice pics of those little guys, irisluvr0252! What Again always looks so nice.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I got Skyray in an offer of SDBs for postage a few years ago. This is the first year it has bloomed and I like it a lot!

I did have Whaat Again planted next to Smart but lost Smart........replaced it last fall but no buds.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 8:54 PM

Thank you, polly. Irish Chant has spread nicely after 2 years and noticed more blooms on her today.

Since I'm so new to Irises, when is the proper time to divide them, and how often? The few clumps I have, all going on two years old, are already growing together.

South Hamilton, MA

Divide after bloom season. give them about a month before doing so.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.