Peonies 2012

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Shojuraku.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Misaka, with clematis Jackmanii behind.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
(Zone 7a)

Misaka is gorgeous.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Ms. Keiko., shown as it has been blooming over the last few days.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks kwanjin, it really is gorgeous, I'm pleased with how it's blooming this year. Here's Bowl of Beauty. It's interesting that it has differently shaped blooms on the same plant. The last picture of BoB is from my back deck, it's funny to see them leaning toward the sun.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Finally for tonight, the picture of the bed with Misaka, Keiko, Sea Shell, and Blaze, with clematis Miguel Viso and Jackmanii on the fence.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Truly impressive, Annette! I love the plant conformation of the Ms Keiko and the Misaka. I need to add these beauties to my garden.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

They are all lovely. I agree with Leawood, and Ms. Keiko is wonderful. Lovely flower form. And the bowl of cream vinca rose combination is stellar. I never would have imagined putting those three plants together for such beautiful effect.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks LG and Donna, I'm really pleased with the Itohs this year, and I can't wait till BoC opens fully.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Lovely blooms all. Texas and Georgia is way ahead of me here in California.

My tree peonies are blooming though. Here is my single red one blooming last week.

Thumbnail by soilsandup Thumbnail by soilsandup
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sooo beautiful. I love the placement under the cherry. Color echo!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Gorgeous. I just love tree peonies even more than herbaceous. Maybe not better than Itoh's though

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Donna and Mary.

Mary - I really like my tree peonies too. I bought my first ITOH two years ago and this is the first year that it has budded. So, I am still waiting for my first ever bloom.

This week, the pink tree peony has the spotlight.
I am so glad I took those photos on Tuesday before the rain. The heavy doubles tend to take a beating in the rain.

Thumbnail by soilsandup Thumbnail by soilsandup Thumbnail by soilsandup
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I've seen the tree peony collections at the Chicago Botanic Garden and though that they were OK. Yours are show stoppers. Are there any fortunate passers by who get to look at this gorgeous peony?

I like the Itoh's because they have the really attractive leaf color like the trees. Julia Rose is a huge bush now next to Red Charm (herbaceous). And Cora Louise planted a year later is almost as big. I was happy and sad at the same time that it appears that the mice infestation that took out my three tree peonies along with other things passed us by this year. A one time happening. My creeping phlox is lush and lovely as it comes out of the snow and no sign of chewing on the bottom of my quince. Just one year enough to kill what I had waited three years to see in full bloom. Oh, they bloomed the prior year for the first time but last year they should have been as nice as yours. Oh well. I bought three more and will move forward. I have mostly Japanese form or singles with the exception of Red Charm, Lemon Chiffon and Coral Sunset. It is too disappointing to see them beaten down in the rain.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Donna - those two tree peonies are in my front yard so they are visible to the few walkers and their dogs that we get in the neighborhood. Most people drive, so they would be a blur ;)).

Mary - sorry to hear about your tree peony lost. It is sad to wait for blooms and then have the plants die.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

No one around me has ever grown intersectionals or Itoh's. To me, they were pictures in books (especially Rogers). Only one person in my entire community grew them (although many an uninspired landscaper peony appeared after I started growing them- you know - the kind sold by color) but my mother-in-law brought a clump of old fashioned lactifloras to my house and my eyes were opened.

I always assumed that tree peonies were not hardy in zone 5.

By the way, you might try planting some miniature daffodils in a circle around your tree peonies. It repells voles and rabbits because they are poisonous. It stopped the large lily losses in my yard. I say miniature because they have small and unobtrusive leaves, not big strapping ones. My favorite for this purpose is WP Milner, a very inexpensive Division 1 Trumpet that is widely available.

Losing the bloom on a lactiflora is bad enough. Losing the bloom of what is effectively a shrub is draining.

Thanks Donna. I have sown a bunch of marigolds to repel stuff from my vegies and will order a bunch of those daffys for the tree peonies. Also for a few other shrubs that I would hate to lose. It appears that the horde was either done in by me or has chosen to give someone else's garden this winter. Things are coming out of the snow hale and hardy. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful tree peonies soilsandsup. What are their names?

Mary, I'm so glad you didn't get the critters this year, and I hope that your new tree peonies put on some rapid growth and bloom well for you.

I have to say my DH impressed me recently with the "what's that yellow thing blooming in the bed on the left?" My response DUH!!!! Thought it but didn't say it, LOL, but replied "That's the Itoh peony Misaka YOU helped me last spring!!!! OMG, he noticed.

Damien loves to take pictures of the flowers. He is a really good photographer as he looks at composition. I mostly just see a flower I want to capture. I keep the best picture of each kind in my database with all the info about bloom time, growth time and all that. And it's nice to see what they look like. Sometimes I forget how lovely they are during the winter. I am shocked when I look at garden pictures from last year and think "That's MY garden?" I never thought it looked so good. Too busy with my nose 2" from the ground examining each little bud and pip I guess to look up and see the whole thing.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Mary, if I did not photograph, I'd never remember what was there. Fact is, I never remember all this stuff growing so much by the end of March, beginning of April.

When I wrote on March 20th that my new tree peony didn't "take," I was wrong. Upon inspection this afternoon, the dead-looking newer yellow tree peony actually has new growth. A bit surprised that it did not sprout when the others did. It truly looked dead, and there is probably some dead wood, but we'll see what comes.

The new intersectional purchased in February is growing, but it does not look as good as when it was planted last month. Another "we'll see."

Marcia

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Those are my NOID tree peonies. I think I got them at Pay Less (Now known as Rite Aid) and they were labeled "Pink" tree peony, "red" tree peony, etc.

I noticed that several of you bought tree peonies from Mamajack's coop too. I got my first named peonies from that coop. I purchased Koukamon and Kinshi. I had a red tree peony that I tried moving 2-3 years ago and ended up killing it. They do not like to be moved - at least mines did not. It had a long tap root which I broke. When I saw that Koukamon was added at the last minute, I broke down and ordered one. And since shipping for one is like shipping for two, I had to get a second one. So, I ordered a yellow.

Cem - mines were not as big as yours, and a few of the leaves were wilty, but otherwise they looked fairly healthy. I have a white one and one that I think is a Kinkaku already, so I think I am set (plus I am running out of space)

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Kansas City, MO

Soilsup and all if you notice on the picture there are small white labels around the stem. For many of the plants sold the white label has the cultivar name on it. The 4 inch box ones are well known for having this label. May need to be dried before you can read but remove carefully and make a note of what is written. You can then verify the name when blooming by checking with on line pictures.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Ah - interesting observation. So, my NOIDs that I purchased years ago may have actually had those small white labels.......if only I had known. I'll go look at my new purchases (once this rain ends) to see if the cultivar name is on them and verify that it is what is on the picture tag.

Do you (or anyone else) have a guess as to what the red single and the pink double that I posted earlier may be? The pink one is actually quite fragrant. I cut a bloom to take to work today, and the smell subtly filled the landing area.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

SoilandSanUp, it is lovely. I love the lighter tint on the edges. My trees from the coop look much like yours. The last time I ordered tree peonies they arrived as just little sticks with some root. but then I ordered them in the fall. I was thrilled to seethe growth. I keep watching for them to sort of 'unclench' like little baby fingers all crunched up. I have to figure out where to put them. May have to pot them until the new beds are ready in, oh, late June.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Quote from DonnaMack :

I always assumed that tree peonies were not hardy in zone 5.

Tree peonies are hardy to zone 4, and I would bet you would love them. They require very little attention, and since they are actually a shrub, they need no staking. The new growth comes off the old wood, so no pruning. They bloom about 3-4 weeks before the tree peonies, and the blooms can be huge. Since some are grafted to herbaceous peonies, they must be planted much deeper, and if the host plant starts to grow, that needs pruning. Just like their herbaceous cousins, they guarantee rain.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

About those white labels on the TPs. Mine must all be in Kanji characters, so I've saved them in a shoebox because I'd wanted to get them translated to learn their true identity. What if they just say red peony or yellow peony? LOL

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have been growing a small selection of peonies for the past 35 years. They are such easy plants to grow and reward you with beautiful flowers for a life time without much care. I have a few tree peonies that do Ok but often get borers in the branches. ( I think the big bees lay their eggs in the stems). Recently I purchased 2 "Ito" peonies They are even better than herbaceous or tree peonies and so far a new one is thriving in a large pot. (40 gallon). I planted one in the same kind of pot last year and placed it where it got the best sun and then last Fall planted the first one in a bed where it is getting high shade. (NOT in a pot now). I think it is necessary to transplant these peonies in the ground after one year so that the roots can establish and grow.

Kansas City, MO

If the label says red or white that is what you have. You can name it anything you want.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

soilsands up, no worries about the names of your tree peonies, they're still gorgeous, I hope you continue to get some nice blooms.

I noticed last week that Kinkaku was finally leafing out here. It's been planted for several years and hadn't done much. Well this is the year finally, it has buds. I'm sooooo excited to see it bloom. Most of the time I forget I have it, it was nondescript and tiny for the longest time.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I just had to stop in....My oh my, what beautiful peonies!!!! Mine are just a few inches tall. Sooooo pretty!!!!! I did see my tree peony is beginning to leaf out, gosh hope I get a bloom or two. Was a Lowes buy.

Only jj's blooming here, so will someone smell their peonies and enjoy for me? Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Zone 7a)

Mine aren't open yet, either. Some are getting close but others are lagging.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello from Nebraska. Our growing season is a good 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Tree peonies are starting to open here, and the herbaceous ones aren't very far behind. When Memorial Day comes around, we won't have any left to decorate the cemetaries.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Cybrczch, we won't be able to call it Decoration Day, as it used to be.

Marcia

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Should we start a new thread for our dial up friends? We're such an enthusiastic bunch that this is very long. What say you?

Go for it!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Please go to Peonies 2012, part 2!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252860/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Help!!!
my peonies are up, and some have buds. but here in rochester, ny, we are having a snowstorm, with several inches of heavy wet snow. anyone have an idea how these peonies will fare after this??? I tried to cover them with row cover, cardboard, etc. The temp. is 34 F. now and will be in the mid- to high 30s today.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I've been watching your weather and feel sorry for gardeners in the NorthEast. If I were you, I'd cover them with some sort of plastic sheet, held up by a frame made from posts or lumber, to keep the snow from breaking them down and the cool temps from frosting their edges. It doesn't have to be pretty, just protective. It will come down in a day or two. Mom Nature is certainly challenging gardeners this year! Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.