Brugmansias in Autumn......promise of things to come.

You do whatever works for you, I don't have experience with this, only once, and my hubby took it out and left it on the bench, so it was the first and last time for me. ^_^
This video is the one they show us on the BGI site, so I thought it may be helpful. I note they dry the pollen for 3 days to ensure the moisture is gone. A fair bit of messing around, we probably don't need to worry about because our seasons are kinder.

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

i dry my pollen out for about a week and in a sealed container with silica this also insures that the pollen is dry
Thanks chrissy

Merino, Australia

Great info for us all to absorb.
Shaun, I use the silica gel too. I have sealed container and leave the pollen vials in there at least 4-5 days then keep the vials in snaplock plastic bags in the freezer. I take out for a few hours or overnight before using.
So far, I have had no success as all the darn things fell off in the heat. I am going to try more this morning as its quite cool. I have flowers on GHA so will slice them before they open fully.
The only pods I have had were the ones I pollinated 2 years ago with fresh pollen straight from flower to flower.

Lucas , thats a great Iochroma chart. Mine are doing well with absolutely no care at all from me. They did lose some leaves in the heat but are flowering and putting out lots of new growth. I cut the tall I. cyanea last year and it sup to around 9 'again, Looks like a further haircut.
Dianne, they do very well with being cut back so dont be afraid to chop yours when it takes over the yard.

Jean

West of Brisbane, Australia

That's dedication all right, Shaun :-)

Dianne, your BF x PP cross sounds intriguing ... alas, I can't take on more. But you wanted BF crosses didn't you, so this is the first of your planned BF breeding program.

I've done some research into my (PS x D) x (P x R&F) cross. Although the pod parent is a single, it has double genes from PS, and the pollen donor has double genes from Peanut and is of course a double itself--both PS and P have genes from Kleine Lady, the double white (= Tiara x unknown). So there is a good chance of some doubles among the seedlings, one would think. Given that PS = Kleine Lady x Rubiline , and D = Rubiline seedling x Rubiline seedling, and P = Kleine Lady x Rubiline seedling--where Rubiline = Ecuador Pink x Rothkirch--and R&F = Ecuador Pink x Rothkirch (i.e. Rubiline group), then the chances of getting pink seedlings seems to be overwhelming. So you would think, anyway. We'll find out in about two years or so :-)

After wading through wet, waist high grass and mud ...I was rewarded (I think) by the sight of PP laden with pods ! I only crossed a couple so where did the others come from ?
What a flirty little minx is this Brug. The pods are also quite huge so perhaps duds, we will wait and see.
I did a couple of straight crosses twixt Heart of Gold x Twilight Time and visa versa, fingers crossed,
remember if the bees have been out anything can happen, I look for fluffy in tact pollen (no sign of insect activity) and apply the pollen sticks themselves straight onto the wet patch of an unopened bloom, then close the bloom. I take the daddy bloom open it up,then apply the pollen sticks to the mummy.
Taking a little risk in this strange weather but, what the heck, we do know there is more rain coming so, I may not get the chance again.
cestrum, I am too tired to try to figure that info out right now, I will come back after my shower.
Hubby caught me watering in the blood and bone and thinks I have lost the plot ^_^ ...he could be right !
"why are you watering in all this wet " ...

barmera, Australia

Bruce's Pink is out in full colour today. What a lovely flower. It's hugh about 16" long and a deeper pink than the pic. Quite lovely. The other pic is of Suavelons X AG and has stayed very yellow Chrissy. The rain played havoc with it though. I think I will call it "Stake's Gold" What does everyone think? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris

Nice pictures Colleen, very interesting to know a Suaveolens can be yellow like that and yes a nice name if it is good enough. :)
We were always told white S, dominates.

...some sun today :) so far anyway.

chrissy

Cestrum you have put a load of working to braking down the parents to your babe cross
i hope for your sake that it come the way you want.
Colleen those flowers are very nice indeed and i do like the gold in the s x.AG
dose it stay that bright gold color????and what about the fragrance ??????
Love the name SG thumbs up!!!!!

That Suaveolens x AG cross has produced an interesting seedling. Perhaps it's yellow because my white suaveolens is a hybrid anyway, so is possibly carrying some coloured genes? I remember having so many suaveolens seeds that I stopped making any crosses with that brug altogether--typically one seedpod would yield 100+ tiny seeds.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Quote from DeadlyNight :
Cestrum you have put a load of working to braking down the parents to your babe cross

Looks harder than it was, Shaun: the upshot is that there are doubles via the double-white Kleine Lady on both sides, and pink genes from Rubiline/Ecuador pink x Rothkirch on both sides too. I don't have any particular expectations, other than I hope that I like the seedlings :-) Interestingly, Rothkirch is a pink aurea discovered in Colombia--an added bonus, as I do like pink aureas :-)

cestrum it never crossed my mind that your suaveolens was a cross, that would probably explain it ! how interesting, mine came from the Botanical gardens and is the species, I just assumed they all were, that's because we didn't know there were gardeners out there making these S., crosses, I wonder what it holds ? probably Aurea, else where did the yellow come from.
Gotta love these Brugs ^_^

Victoria, Australia

Yes I should have prefaced that study, it is rather heavy on the technicals. but the chart is nice, we have so few of them here that I have seen, I had no idea there were so many Iochroma species.

The suaveolens is a species not a cultivar, I assume there are multiple original clones and seedlings of them going around. Maybe your hybrid is of different clones of suaveolens? some may be crossed with other brugs in parentage somewhere though, so perhaps the colour comes through eventually. In the hybrids the suaveolens traits seem to be dominant...

The Earth Angel x Pink Smitty crosses are favourites of mine and both have Rothkirch in their blood, Rothkirch itself is said to be touchy and I do find that the Brugs with a lot of Rothkirch in them (meaning my E A x P S) die right back in Winter, but come back in mid Spring. I love the warm pink it produces. They age to a rich Raspberry under certain conditions.

Quote from chrissy100 :
cestrum it never crossed my mind that your suaveolens was a cross, that would probably explain it

But the idea came from you, Chrissy! I remember you saying that it looked like a hybrid because of its longer tendrils compared with your suaveolens, which you knew was a pure (or almost pure) suaveolens. So from then I assumed that it was a hybrid--ie a white suaveolens crossed with some other brug. (Not by me, so the other brug could have been anything, not limited to what I have/had in my garden.) Wouldn't call it a 'clone' in that case, as it has been bred out with something else. Is it not correct to then call it a hybrid? As for the yellow, that could have come from Aztec Gold I imagine ...

Also, it may not be a first-generation cross, which I think is what Lucas was alluding to?

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 5:21 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

My memory has gone since the drama with my brother, I do remember now you remind me ...well if that be the case there is some nice strong yellow hiding in there ! very cool !

Perhaps Aztec Gold in the parent bred back to Aztec Gold ...that would work :) ...probably where the resemblance to AG comes from. Excellent !

edited to say
Colleen you should cross that with another good yellow ...looks like strong yellow genes in that seedling.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 6:32 PM

Anything's possible! While it wasn't bred by me, there would have been far fewer varieties of brugs to cross it with then. And Aztec Gold was not that uncommon ...

A great find IMO, sorry I didn't remember, probably dismissed it in my head because I thought all Suaveolens would only produce white. After all an expert told us this. ^_^

Victoria, Australia

Any plant is a clone. Each and every seedling.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Quote from cestrum_SEQ :
That Suaveolens x AG cross has produced an interesting seedling. Perhaps it's yellow because my white suaveolens is a hybrid anyway, so is possibly carrying some coloured genes?

Sounds logical to me, who knows about any of the Suaveolens in public gardens either......unless it was given a positive ID by an expert....Shaun has found ID errors in the Melbourne Bot Gardens......Is mine the real thing? according to the gardens it is...can they be sure, they aren't Brugmansia experts...it's probably a cutting from the one in the RMBG.

Colleen, if your yellow is a good one then I am sure Brian would be very pleased....Bruce's Pink is very pretty in flower and yes, it is a big one.

Mine was confirmed as Species by Alistair. I do agree there is still a lot of misinformation even now, hopefully all will be revealed in Alistair's new book.

barmera, Australia

I have another flower of SG nearly out so hopefully something else will be in flower at the same time. The Clementine I crossed with Bruce's Pink this morning. Don't know if I'm a bit late with the Clementine flower. We'll see. I have some of Shaun's yellow Auireas nearly out too so will cross with that if I can. What do I actually write on the tag. At the moment it says.B. Suavelons X Aztec Gold 6/7/2009 and now I have put another tag saying "Stake's Gold" Colleen

Just remember to keep the cross written down besides the new name. :) hybridized by cestrum ,seedling parent your name because you grew it to bloom.
Good luck with the crosses.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 7:36 PM

The fasciated PP has started to sprout from all areas and the growth appears to be normal.
I don't know where the top of it is now, because it seems to have divided itself within the tangle in the centre.There is one section which seems to be going up and the other is still going around and around.

Shaun, you said that you had a plant that was fasciated (not a Brug) and you said that it lasted about a year, did you mean the plant or the fasciation?

The buds are still growing so we might see a flower from one of those fat buds.

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger

the Fasciation is stunning by the way, it was the fasciation that lasted about 12 months on the Solanum and then there was a area that looked Bizarre with many shoots from it, i just decided to cut it back after that finished as it was fascinating to watch what was happening

Colleen with the new name of a plant you should have a database with all your plants and seedlings in this way you don't get any lost info

i have just started to add a few more details in to mine thanks to Cestrum like temp when sending seeds & plants

It looks amazing Dianne ...if you can look through the bud into the light you may be able to see the progress of the bloom ie how close to the opening end of the bud. I would even resort to a strong torch ^_^ to see the silhouette of the bloom.

i know that it's very common but here is the first of all my OA
very beautiful if i may so so
Love the color

Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan

Old Apricot is a beautiful Brug, I am having trouble viewing the calyx, it looks too long in the picture, or is it an illusion because of the one behind ?
I am afraid we are a little spoiled. Fancy calling that beautiful thing common, but we do. Aren't we lucky.
Been out crossing stuff because it was cool, but then blow me down out comes the sun, and the wind is starting up, oh well. I am hoping for a few double whites out of them, luckily they seem to be in constant blooms but it sure is upsetting to mutilate the darlings in order to make babies.
I got the shock of my life to see Twilight Time blooming on this 9 ft shoot that shot up at the back of the tree, not only that but the bloom seems even bigger than the original ones. I was thinking it was something else until it flowered.

Dianne Ivoire didn't even blink out there, in fact I think it has grown an inch overnight, I can tell already that it is a very vigorous Brug.

Fernando has more tiny buds again, I hope they hold on through the coming storm, this is the 3rd or 4th lot, if I remember correctly ...not sure if it likes more warmth or wants Autumn temps, guess I will just have to wait and see, the suspense is killing me. ^_^ .

Saw on Vasili's garden (no idea how old it was) a courtyard garden in Melbourne that had one brugmansia. Surprisingly, it wasn't Old Apricot or knightii, although it looked sort of apricot in colour (hard to tell, different shades in different light) but the flowers were more rigid, more waxlike, although the flower was about the size of Old Apricot. The gardener described it as having the strongest smell at night, gardenia and other 'tropical' smells that he couldn't identify. I'm wondering if it's an aurea cross? I'll never know, of course LOL

Shaun, I record my diary entries in a two-column table in Word. (I record the temp for each entry.) It's not as organised as having it in a spreadsheet, but I like the simplicity and I can still search the entire document (now 300 pages) quite readily. Originally I included some photos but have ended up removing them because they made navigating the document (including searching) noticeably slower. So now it's just text. It's a pretty good system--when I remember to record in it. (There's an exercise book somewhere in the house that is filled with entries for a good part of one year that I have been meaning to transcribe, and myriad pieces of paper that have been lost over the years before I got around to transcribing into the Word document.)

I did print out each page of the document as I completed it, but stopped a few years ago. (The reason escapes me now.) The file gets backed up daily to a removable hard disk, and every time I write something in it, I save the document under a name with a consecutive number (filename2012-01, filename2012-02, filename2012-03, etc). When the new year arrives, it restarts at filename2013-01. This helps guard against file corruption. Still, it doesn't feel as secure as printing out every page and storing it in a folder. I used to do this, but it meant that I couldn't go back and update an entry; instead, I had to create a new entry. I find it's a nuisance to have entries about one plant scattered throughout the diary (e.g. 23 May: sowed seeds; 3 Aug: potted up seeds; 12 Nov: planted out seeds). It's much easier to simply return to the original entry (eg 23 May) and update that, so you have all the info you need about one plant in the one spot. Not sure what the solution is ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

When I got my Old Apricot I thought it was this one which we are supposed to have out here according to three garden books I have, but Alistair said it was not GM.
I wonder if it is here somewhere.
here it is
http://magicoflife.org/flower_photos/Angel%27s_Trumpet.html

Chrissy i have taken a new pics of the calyx so you can see it
from the apex to the tip of the Calyx is about 12" long and then the flower about an extra 6-8" over that
i have bought over the years also GM but nothing seems to be, they all seem as OA
what a pity tho

Cestrum the propagation sheet you have is a good 1 i am using a spread sheet that i have to scroll thou to find every thing
spread sheets are great to record send & receive, Pods & collection list &(pics)
but hard to get head around the propagation side of it
I will look in to what you have done and see if i can implement it in to my system

Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan

That looks like Old Apricot ... :) or at least the one we call Old Apricot

Thumbnail by

Quote from chrissy100 :

Dianne Ivoire didn't even blink out there, in fact I think it has grown an inch overnight, I can tell already that it is a very vigorous Brug.

Fernando has more tiny buds again, I hope they hold on through the coming storm, this is the 3rd or 4th lot, if I remember correctly ...not sure if it likes more warmth or wants Autumn temps, guess I will just have to wait and see, the suspense is killing me. ^_^ .

Same here with Ivoire, Chrissy, after I sent them out I took one for me, put it in a 4" pot and now the roots are poking thru..the way that the new branches are growing on the parent, it's really going to need a chop each year...everything heads skyward. It flowers along the branches so that's a good thing.

Fernando is doing the same thing here, this is it's 3rd attempt, the first one was last Autumn and then Spring
and now this Autumn.....fingers crossed here too....

The best 2 in pots for me, have been Knightii and RFP...they seem to flower without any hastle and they don't seem to lose their vigour, but they are not strong growers in the pots..Clementine, even though it is fed the same way as the other 2, is nothing like as vigorous....After it flowers this Autumn...it can go into the ground...I have cuttings for the pot.
Angioletto is 20 ft tall, slight exaggeration, but it looks like it, with a big strong central stem and big side shoots, so
It can stay in the pot....it has lots of small buds...

Both of my Tantras have buds, I only had one flower, last year and it was beautiful....lots of buds on both..

cestrum that looks like a great system.....I wish that I was so efficient..too lazy....I can barely make the entries in Excel....though I do keep a book...

Ok, seeds posted, should arrive next week.
I'm too lazy too Dianne :-) Hence the gaps in my records. (Including the history of my white suaveolens.)

Here are Tantra's buds and 2 of Ivoire enjoying the sun...he is a lovely lemon before he turns gorgeous cream....

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger

Beautiful photos, Dianne--can really see the aurea in that brug. That is probably why it's such a fast grower.
Which is why this:

Quote from chrissy100 :
The Earth Angel x Pink Smitty crosses are favourites of mine and both have Rothkirch in their blood, Rothkirch itself is said to be touchy and I do find that the Brugs with a lot of Rothkirch in them (meaning my E A x P S) die right back in Winter, but come back in mid Spring.

is surprising. It wouldn't have surprised me to hear that about Ecuador Pink, but it does to hear it about this 'wildform' aurea ...

Ivoire = Sugar Pink x Zabaglione
So the aurea characteristics come from SP ... what's the parentage of Sugar Pink? Is it unknown?

Yes it's an unk....cestrum.....evidently Monika suggested to Chrissy to cross it with Zabaglione...
She had identified the Aurea in SP....glad that she did...
Also very glad that Chrissy took her advice.....I wonder what became of the rest of the seeds?

i have also potted my Ivoire up in to 10" pot this afternoon it is growing shot gut and has a few shoots that are about 4" tall now it will take advantage of the fresh soil and grow even more rapidly.

Merino, Australia

All the flowers on GHA that I pollinated have opened now so I am hoping they will become very attached to the tree .
Lots of nice new growth on all the other brugs but no sign of buds yet.
Dianne, Ivoire is growing steadily here.

Jean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.