How is this for winter interest?

(Zone 4b)

While driving in my neighbourhood (zone 5) I unexpectedly came across this "clump of grass"!

Even now it is over 12 feet tall.

Any idea what it might be?

Thumbnail by rouge21
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Miscanthus Giganteus. Rocks all year round.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Zone 4b)

Thanks Donna; good pictures

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Those are great pictures.

Do you, or does anybody know, how long it would take for those 'clumps' to grow to those sizes.

I'm really interested in getting one or two of those now that I've seen them here.

Thanks in advance.

Wintermoor

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have many kinds of miscanthus, and some are very slow growing (Strictus, but worth it) or don't flower for several years (Monring Light, but worth it). I remember that this grass jumped out of the ground and grew really big really fast and then widened.

According to my records, I planted it in fall of 2004. Here is is in August of 2007 - the first picture I have of it. Three years later. And as you can see from the picture, it was already quite mature by the time I photographed it.

So, as you can see, it doesn't waste any time! It is particularly happy if you plant it where a bit of water drains toward it. Other than that, I never did anything but cut it down in April, and give it a little 10-10-10 fertilizer (and I stopped doing that, because it didn't need it).

Please see below for the August of 2007 pic. I didn't include it here.
It's a glorious grass. Do enjoy it!

Donna

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 6:57 PM

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

I've not been on for a while, but thank you for your prompt reply.

It looks like something which I could use so I'll be on the look-out for who sells them here in Germany.

Thanks again, Donna.

Wintermoor

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Donna did you start from seeds ?

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 2:12 PM

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna, really beautiful. Im just getting interested in "grass". Your photos are inspiring.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just love grasses. Here are a few views from a while back.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Really nice. Thanks for sharing. Cam

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, I just saw these pictures. Gorgeous stands of grasses, everyone!! ^_^

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is the August, 2007 picture. Again, I installed it in the fall of 2004. So this is FAST!!!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll say! Great! I'm hoping for the same results. :)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, and I did not start it from seeds. I purchased it in a quart pot for about $7.00.

Donna

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

A real deal!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I got my start in 1998, at Milaegers in Racine. I had moved into my new home in July, and it was former farmland, so I installed everything. I did get a landscape plan, and wanted LOTS of grasses. It was fall, a supposedly risky time to plant grasses. So they were conducting the following promotion:

Buy 12, get 6 free
Buy 6, get 3 free
Buy 3, get 1 free

I was shameless, and made multiple trips even though they were 45 miles away (ah, I remember 99 cent gas!)

They still smile when they see me. And I figured out that I paid an average of $2.50 for each grass.

Watch out for fall sale grasses! Cut all the flowers off (when they are flowering, they are spent, like any other perennial) but if you want a lot, that's the time!

Some of my $2.50 grasses.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you very much for the photos and info. We bought an older home and property with a sorely neglected yard. I'm starting from scratch except for the trees and a row of Azaleas across the front of the house. In the back, I want to use the tall grasses extensively.

I have purchased a number of types of grasses already, and I am going to look for Miscanthus giganteus as soon as I can. I'm hoping to find it locally. ♥

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Does anybody know if Miscanthus gianteus grass leaves can be used as thatch or do the dried leaves fall apart too quickly for putting on a small roof (for shade)?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

When I have cut it back in the spring i have found the stems very thick for a miscanthus of any kind - yet they are light because many of them are hollow. They don't fall apart, but I suspect that they would possibly be too light to be substantial enough for your task.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Okay, thank you. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.