Happy Valentine's Day and chat

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1238901/

Just 35 days until the start of spring but, even better, Daylight Savings Time begins on Sunday, March 11th. Slowly but surely we're heading into gardening weather after a very mild winter.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will need to take a week off just to plant what I said I was not going to buy...lol

Ditto! My eyes are weary from making color matches and my head hurts from wondering why I ordered so much. Just a month ago I was thrilled at not having gone overboard. Ha!

Thomaston, CT

Horrible story about your beagle, Pirl....that Scottish deerhound won at Westminster last year....Best In Show for this year is tonight.....I'm glad DST starts so early now...love that daylight at the end of the day, not being much of a morning person!

We ended up at the rescue shelter and brought Harry home about six weeks after we lost Joey. Harry has become Jack's shadow and he has been an excellent companion.

Having light after dinner is wonderful. It gives us all that extra window of opportunity to get a head start on the jobs for the next day or to just walk around and admire what we've done.

Thumbnail by pirl
Louisville, KY

Arlene....I am so sorry about your dog. I am so glad that you have Joey.

I don't know what Susan and I would do if something happened to Daisy . Five years ago Susan and I walked in to Feeders Supply for bird food and we came out with Daisy.

She is Susans blue ribbon agility dog and my constant companion.

Thanks, John. It's amazing how easy it is to form such a strong bond with a pet. Harry comes with us on all vacations and all trips to stores, post office, etc. He's a great traveler.

I even got a Valentine's Day card from Harry!

Thomaston, CT

Oh, that's sweet!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Happy Valentine's Day to all. Pirl that is sweet. Harry is a cutie!!

Sweet, yes, but he forgot the Godiva!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This little sticker been on my refrigirator for more then 8 years, my husband left it just before he died. I don't have a heart to take it down. Least I have some good memories on Valentine day.

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

They are both lovely but the note is so touching. I wouldn't move it either!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Kiseta.. go over to hobby lobby or michaels and get yourself a frame to put it in. Sometimes you can find those magnetic ones. Then put back on fridg to enjoy daily without it disentigrating. As to your question...yes through the mail, 3 day ship. I just wash off my dirt and wrap in plastic, lable and it's ready to go. If they arrive a bit wilted not a prob., drop in a bucket of water for a few hours and plant. If the day is 'spose to be hot, I wait til eve. then plant. You can also shade the plant if nec. I'm quite sure there are others who can tell you about their experiences also. I even mailed out a cut bouquet one time from colo all the way to florida, took 3 days and turned out beautiful. (Wrapped stems in dripping wet paper towels and plastic bags, closed with rubberbands.)

Pirl.....You would not believe it but Harry looks just like my dog that got lost. I know it's not the same one but he does look the same, and he also was my best friend. And I miss him still, (15 years now). Give him a hug for me.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Very pretty faces on those pansies, Kathy. I'll try to give Harry a hug but generally he only allows me to give him affection as I'm holding his dinner bowl - selfish little brat!

Athens, PA

Cupboard Love!

You bet! He also adores take out bags! He feasted last night as though he were the winner of Westminster!

Thomaston, CT

Actually he's better looking than the winner! Kiseta, cherish that note....I carry around a poem that my husband wrote to me over 30 years ago......

We women are sentimental. I have every card that accompanied the flowers Jack sent me weekly at work. I'd throw out the china and crystal before I'd throw them away.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Had some fun doing a little catch up, sweet stories and pictures!

I just go Brushwoods order in yesterday, need to take a picture but what awesome packing and good sized plants. The clems just have a few leaves already growing. I had credit as Dan bought a couple of pictures from me for his website, that was a fun way to shop!

For myself, I got:
Romantika
Diamantina
and for my Mom I got:
Bonanza
Arabella

I also got Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise' http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/jasmines-8/jasminum-officinale-fiona-sunrise-347.html
and Gelsemium sempervirens 'Margarita' http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/jasmines-8/gelsemium-sempervirens-margarita-249.html
both had over a foot of growth, really nice! An excellent nursery to order from!

Louisville, KY

Now Sue,

You know I shouldn't be enticed into going to Dan's site. Here I am being soooo good and now I'm thinking maybe I should try that jasminum.

Dan is great, as is his company and his packaging and the plants! I'd rather spend my money on a sure thing rather than the failures from plugs on co-op's and group sales. I'm just too old to wait three years to see blooms.

Sorry, John, we cross posted. I'm remaining firm and not looking at the tempting links Sue sent. So far, so good.

Louisville, KY

Now Pirl ..just take a peek

Stop it now, John!

(I am SO tempted...)

Louisville, KY

everybody needs a little jasmium in there life

I'm gonna tell on you, John!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Just think how pretty that lime foliage would be against other greens. ;-)
I will take pictures tomorrow.

Louisville, KY

It would be soooooo prettty pirl.

You do know this is considered torture, don't you?

I'm escaping to my dentist this morning so can't even be tempted...for awhile.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pirl. I bought some things from a co-op. I am afraid that I will be sorry I did.

Some people claim 100% success with co-op clematis plants but I'm not one of them, Marie. I don't mind babying them, potting them, etc. but I feel they're just out in the world much too soon compared to plants grown from plugs under ideal circumstances and tended to for a year before selling them. Maybe I am too impatient or maybe experience with co-op clematises has served to teach me well. Though I did end up losing two of my Koi co-op clem's (2 out of 12). I did lose all but one with another co-op so paying $48.00 to have one survive was a bit much for me.

My success rate with Walmart clem's is great compared to the co-op that didn't work for me.

I wish you all good luck and healthy plants with numerous blooms.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I am waiting on my Brushwood Order and I am afraid it is not going to be here before I leave the office today :o( I will not be back until Tuesday so hopefully they will be ok. I found buds on one of my clematis that just started sending up a whole lot of new shoots. Completely floored me yesterday.

Louisville, KY

Sounds very good DD.

Dentist for me on Monday.

I'm hoping they arrive for you before you leave for the day. Let us know what happens, please.

John, me too! Now I'm on tetracycline for the gum issue. Hope your visit is for cleaning and not probing and I hope you realize I was teasing you with the above posts.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Just found out they delivered them to my home !! So I will get to see them in about an hour!!

Thomaston, CT

Good news DD...John & Pirl....I just went through almost 2 hours of dental work, just for a crown....

Great news, DD.

Marilyn - In 2010 I spent five sessions with the periodontist and then about 20 visits with the dentist getting crowns. Anything is better (to me) than the alternative!

Louisville, KY

arlene it was fun and I took it no other way. I have gone the whoe route with dentists including braces , imnplnts etc. This is my regular cleaning and probing (i hope)

Louisville, KY

Gosh more than an hour has past and we haven't heard from DD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.