Happy Valentine's Day and chat

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So far I've been through every periodontal procedure three times in my life and pray Monday is the last experience.

I hope DD is happy with the clem's! Show us some photos, DD.

Louisville, KY

Ihave done the peridontal once and that was enough thank you

It's not my idea of a happy dental visit either. Now the hygienist knows enough not to give me a toothbrush and Sensodyne, since I use an electric toothbrush and my favorite toothpaste, so she gives me a supply of the surgical gloves. I wear them under my gardening gloves if the day is cold. They are great at keeping my hands warm.

Thomaston, CT

Never thought of that!

I've learned the hard way that if they're kept in the garage over winter they dry and crack, totally useless. Now I keep them inside.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Are you talking about your teeth pirl or your gloves...lol

Funny! If I hadn't kept up with my teeth I guess I could have kept them in the garage over winter, Marie!

I was talking about the gloves.

Louisville, KY

very funny indeed

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

As promised, here is Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise' with it's pretty lime green foliage.
plus my two Brushwood clematis, sweet new growth!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Now, Sue, stop that! I'm trying hard not to order anything too early. Brushwood is just a hoot 'n' holler from me now, you know. I KNOW their stuff would grow great in my location, for sure.

Sue - you're making it very difficult not to take a look. That Jasmine looks gorgeous. Is it hardy to zone 7? I'm afraid to look.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I am holding strong here! and hopefully my teeth too!
Some of my clems are starting to put out new growth along the vine on the leaf nodes (? terminology) Even the type 3 s. I need to prune

For many of us it is the time to prune before new growth begins.

It's now just 38 degrees but it's sunny and there is no wind so I'll get out and prune today.

"Several gardeners have noted to us that this plant has been hardy for them in zone 6" :-) I looked for you!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

My Brushwood order arrived last week, too. I only ordered one Clematis...HF Young.
It's very small, Like Sue's but nice and healthy and good roots.

Thumbnail by JasperDale Thumbnail by JasperDale

Thank you, Sue. It is tempting.

JD - the roots look great. I've never had roots like that on any co-op plug!!! I know you got yours from Brushwood.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'v never gotten roots like that from any where !!!

Just out of curiousity, Gloria, from whom do you buy clematises?

The one with the largest roots came from a DG friend, Louise, but the others were from Garden Crossings and theirs are the same as Brushwood's. The roots have to be gently teased apart before planting.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I get mine local or co-ops . I think I need to branch out some but I'm rather new at this and if I kill them I won't feel to bad I have a lot to learn ;0)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, I'm glad that I've found this thread. I've been debating what to do as far as pruning my clems. this early in the season--fearing that the late cold snap may stunt them? But if Arlene, you're ready with yours there in zone 7a. I could be ready down here on zone 7b?

I'm very fortunate I don't have to send very far for my clems. Local nurseries carry them in one Gallon pots. And the roots are pretty much filled out within those 1 gallon pots. Here is one that I acquired last fall, and still undecided where to plant it. This is a double blooming pink type flower.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I guess I had better think about pruning some of mine. Do I do the ones that bloom early now? I did not prune them at all and like Bananna18, mine are putting out new nodes along the vine. I have one that still has green leaves in a section and putting out new nodes.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My clemie Josephine has also started to put out leaves and as either seeded or layered itself. Some of the other vines are growing as well. I wonder if spring really is just around the corner. I did prune them several months ago, and added composted manure around the roots. Further, I can't wait for my Brushwood order, hope I can hang on till April, LOL.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

I'd go ahead and prune what's needed. I thought I finished today until I got inside and saw I missed two - not bad! All the class 3 are pruned really low (like 12" max.) and the class 2's just needed a tiny bit of trimming for shape.

The one that continues to amaze me is the clematis alpina Helsingborg. It sprawled all over and then, as I was trying to clean up around it a few weeks ago, saw it rooted itself in at least 20 or 30 spots. I have no idea what to do with it this spring.

I had to look up that clematis alpina Helsingborg, it's a cutie!

Thanks. It's huge but hasn't yet bloomed.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I forgot to bring my camera to work today but my Brushwood order lloks like the ones above. I love that clematis alpina Helsingborg!!
Sue I have Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise' . One of my favorite vines!!

Ohh, that's good to hear! Do you grow it in full or part sun? Trying to decide where to plant it.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I grow mine on the North side of my house it get some direct sun in the afternoon. It does not get much though which is ok here since it is so brutally hot!!

OK, I think I know where this one will go, thanks!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, it was a warm day in Duluth, GA today, a balmy 75* and when I came home from work this evening I decided to take a tour of my garden. I was thrilled to find my Clematis armandii starting to bloom. This is three weeks earlier than it bloomed last year.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

Your front door, steps and plantings are all so exquisite, Annette! You must be thrilled with armandii blooming so early for you!

I checked quite a few clematises today and many have huge leaf buds - larger than they generally are at the start of spring.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Cem..is that one of those fragrant clems? And I love your stained glass doors, just beautiful!!!! By chance did you do them? And, gosh, if you feel guilty about that warm weather I could ship some snow your way. I got 8.5" this morning and then it started to snow again just before dark. Truely beautiful doors tho, and yes the vine also,lol.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks pirl, I'm very happy with the early blooms. I'm quite amazed about how early the clematis vines are growing this year, much less getting blooms in February.

wwk, this clematis smells delicious, LOL. I make my DH and DS open the front door so that they can smell the fragrant blooms every year:-). Also, I wish I were talented enough to have done the front door. I only had the pleasure of picking the design when we bought our home. BTW, keep the snow, LOL.

Louisville, KY

Cem it is indeed beautiful. The entire entrance way needs to be in a magazine.

I worked in the garden all day today. Many of my clems have new shoots poking through the ground. I'm not sure its good practice, but I pulled some mulch away from some not emerging and found new shoots on both my fuji and my omo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Todays temp 72 and tomorrow nights temp 27. First daffodil blooms. Life is short be sure to smell the daffodils.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

That is a beautiful entryway..I agree with above comments. There are some signs of spring here..also saw my first daff bloom (will go back tomorrow to smell it!) and the hellebores have out for a few weeks.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you all for the kind words. We have also had fluctuations in our temps here. The daffodils should be fine, I've had some in bloom for several weeks, and they have been exposed to temps as low as 18* and they didn't seem affected at all. The tulips also have buds, so I expect to see blooms on them soon as well, and my hellebores, have been blooming since January. I'll post some pics later. Annette

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Annette, lovely garden! I guess our climate is similar for spring is fast approaching here too. Most of my clematis are breaking dormancy. Armandii is showing its beauty and yes, I've early Tulips. I pruned my potted clems. yesterday. I think I saw flower buds, if I'm not mistaking. Wooohoooo!

Thomaston, CT

So nice to see those blooms...I awoke to 3" of wet, nasty snow! Good thing the only plant blooming right now is the heather.....

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Cem9165 That is a beautiful entryway!! Robin sorry about the snow. We have been in the 70 and low 80's. Everything is waking up now with a Vengeance!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is a light rain here, but I still went out to look araoun and find 3 buds on my Sunset Clematis. My tulips are up 4" and some of my lilies are picking. I have ordered 5 astilbes named " Sister Theresa" they are up to 5" high, I am very happy here. I bought 2 Hanrii clems in Lowe's, should I put them in ground, both have a little shoot in the bag, but I am afraid to leave them there. Most of my clems are blue or hot pink so I think I can use some whites. Robins are still gethering in my yard, hope the spring is coming soon. Etelka

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.