Life Span Lilies

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

What is the life span of lilies? Specifically Oriental Lilies and Asiatic Lilies.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

In my personal experience, Asiatics last for many years. I have many that are 8-9 years old.

Oriental lilies tend to be much shorter lived, with the notable exception of Casa Blanca (I have had it since 2003), Crystal Blanca, which is related to Casa Blanca, Sorbonne and Acapulco. I have acquired at least 15 that either never appeared or lasted one season. There is a thread on DG about Orientals that endure.

Trumpet lilies are bullet proof. I have every one that I acquired since 2003. They also multiply well.

I find that certain Orienpets, like Anastasia and Silk Road, are indestructible.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Donna, I have had several O. Lilies and A. Lilies over the years. Then, they don't show up. I don't miss them right away.
Maybe I should check out the other lilies you mentioned. I think I have Silk Road. I have put it in two different locations. Both were on the north side of my house. I believe my instructions were to have bright shade. They lean toward the brighter light e.g. away from the house. I am trying to find another location for them. Most of my yard is sun.
I have Casa Blanca lily. I had purchased it a couple of times and lost it. I finally found a location it likes. It bloomed for the first time last summer. The deer ate some of the blooms. I wish I knew of a way to keep them from eating the blooms.
I have been going through my sheets that come with the plant e.g. name, and instructions on planting and care.
I have some placards that I no longer have the plants. During the cold weather, I am sorting through my plant informaton, making plans as to moving some plants in better locations, organizing my garden shop, and cleaning tools, etc.
I was able to pull weeds a couple of days. They were sucking out the nutrients in the soil. I found some neat little plants coming from seed and some returning from roots as I maneuvered through the weeds. Spring will be coming soon even though, as I speak,, there is a bit of snow on our ground (our first real snow).
I have had three daffodils blooming already.
I have also done some winter sowing and more of that to do.
So much to do.....so little time!
Happy Valentine's Day!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I should also mention that I have several lilies that did not bloom for years because the rabbits kept biting them, but they hung in there. Lilium Regale was a gift from The Lily Garden that got chomped every year for at least five years. I finally protected it by putting a miniature daff near and TA!

I bought a dozen Casa Blancas in 2003 and finally got down to the last two because I moved it from a place with very sharp drainage, for which I blame myself.

I find that The Lily Garden's asiatics, like Rosepoint Lace and Ariadne, are very persistent. What's really distressing are the beautiful ones that disappear after a single year.

Here is my Regale, returned from the dead.

Corrected to say, my error. This lily is Jubileo.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 6:32 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It drove me nuts when Champagne didn't come back. I got it from Buggy.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Or Rococo, an orienpet that was a very expensive gift. I have learned to watch out for orienpets. Anastasia is phenomenal. It not only persists, but increases. I bought 3,and ended up with perhaps 20. Happily, it's my favorite lily.

This is Rococo.

I am in the process of taking cuttings from plants I "babysat" for other people. I have a friend who has a huge scented geranium and no place in her house to put it. It has enchanted me with its scent all winter, and then the light went on. I just took cuttings. It's seed starting time again, and I couldn't be happier.

Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

LOVE your pictures. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad you mentioned Anastacia. I have been looking at that lily to order this year and just couldn't decide. Now, I know I am ordering that one!

What are the blue flowers growing with Champagne? It's a lovely combination.

Rocco and Regale are gorgeous! I would think blue flowers would look really pretty with those lilies as well.

Which "scented" geranium do you have in your home? Maybe I should get one of those for scented pleasure during the winter months. I have a couple of Martha Washington geraniums that have never bloomed for me. This spring, I am putting them outside and not bringing them back in. There is a lot of foliage but no flowers. They don't give me that much enjoyment and places for house plants are at a premium at my house. I do have a beef steak begonia that I absolutely love. It is in a north window. When the sun shines, you can see the heavy chartruse veins in the backs of the red circular leaves. The leaves are dark green on top and red on the bottom.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

birder, I'm glad that you asked the ? regarding the life span of lilies. Several years ago I planted Oriental lilies Caruso and Briancon, and have never seen either one. DonnaMack thanks for the explanation about Orientals. I can't even blame the rabbits, these two particular lilies never even put up leaves. :-(

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Gardens here are 5 years old.The lilies that dont show are usually digested by voles. Most of the varieties here have bloomed as long as they have been planted.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

First, please note that the lily I called Regale is the asiatic Jubileo. I added a note above so that any reader would realize it was my error.

The blue flower with Champagne is one of my absolute favorites. It nepeta Souvenir Andre Chaudron. To me it is the best of the bluish nepetas.

Martha Washington geraniums are the fussiest, according to a book I read. I loved Gardeners Joy but I could never successfully get it through the season.

The scented geranium was a gift to a friend who had it outside but had no room in the house. It smells rather like ginger, The person who gave it to her did not have the name. I have kept it lightly watered and minimally fertilized over the winter and it has done very well. I was going to buy a bunch more and then thought - dummy - take cuttings.

Anastasia is a great choice. It makes me laugh that I paid $42 for three years ago when The Lily Garden first paid for it. But it is so wonderful and prolific that I moved some to another location and have been swapping them. This is a fabulous lily and I strongly recommend it. I planted three with grasses, and they really multiplied. Then I moved them into a bed with blue platycodons. I love blue plants, and love to blend them with lilies. The lilies in the grasses were photographed in 2007. I have never lost one! Ignore the last pic. It's a huge Silk Road stem - I clicked on the wrong photo!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

This should be the last pic. These were taken over a 5 years period. And I still have every one.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2012 7:44 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just planted Chaudron last year.I am anzious to see it bloom behind some siberian iris.
A question Isnt the blue flower in your picture Platycodon?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The question was about the blue plant with lilium Champagne, which was nepeta Souvenir Andre Chaudron.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OOOpppps sorry. Just checked it out.Love the combination. That nepeta is stunning I hope mine looks like that. One never knows from the website where it was ordered from.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love that nepeta, Donna.

Our Casablanca lilies are teenagers - no problem with them. Out of all my lilies it just took one frightfully cold winter to eliminate all "Easter lilies" in one garden. All other lilies have survived all the trials except for Crystal Star, Mojave and this beauty, Oscar (second photo).

Anastasia is incredible and so are Conca d'Or and Rio Negro for me. The scent is divine!

Asiatics here are fool proof and long lived. They were the first plants we ordered and have been here 20 years.

1. Casablanca
2. Oscar, the Oriental that did not return. So sad.
3. Rio Negro
4. Conca d'Or (huge blooms, beautiful, highly scented)
5. Asiatic lilies (just a little glimpse - there are hundreds in the area)

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Anastasia certainly deserves a post of its own.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely lilies Pirl
I just remembered Tom Puce didnt come back for me but I blamed the voles.
I'm watching the Westminster Dog Show in lieu of the endless useless news about Whitney Houston.
I am normaly a cat person but must admit some faves from the Hunting group.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 10:15 AM

Thanks. I once had an entire field of Orientals that did not return but the error was ours. We left a separate zone of the irrigation system on for the night and it drowned every one of them being on for 6 hours. I loved that Tom Pouce! Too much water can kill them.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Donna: Love the picture with the allium, nicotania and Anastacia. I would have never guess that was Nepeta. Now, I want that too! I am going to do a search for that Nepeta. I have an order for some sort of Nepeta from Bluestone. I may just change it to the above mentioned Nepeta--if they sell it. Man, I guess I need to quit looking at all of these pictures. They are so gorgeous!

Pirl: How very sad to lose all those Orientals--they're not cheap! Your lilies are beautiful. Conca d'Or looks like really big blooms. It looks pale enough that it would go with a lot of complimentary flowers. Fragrance is a bonus.

I do think Asiatic lilies endure better than Orientals. Maybe the moles don't like it as well? I hadn't thought of moles, but it surely makes sense. I have seen moles around scampering quickly from one plant to another. I guess I need to find out how to get rid of them. I have heard it is difficult to get rid of them.

Happy birthday, birder!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

birder! I got my Chaudron fron Bluestone .
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/NESA.html

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 3:08 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder,

Bluestone is where I got it. I just love it! I got Snowflake, Dawn to Dusk and Souvenir from them. They were such a great, inexpensive source. I put it in 3 places. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous plant! You should be able to find this one. Accept no substitutes!

The lily on the left in the fourth picture is Brushstoke, from The Lily Garden. The one on the right is Champagne, which was above.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh! Happy birthday, Birder!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful stand of nepetas Donna

HAPPY BIRTHDAY birder!!!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 3:19 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

We both just have great taste.

And FYI - it transplants well. So you can buy the three, establish them, and move them around. Deadheading results in excellent repeat bloom.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks for the info Donna
One of the features of Bluestone is they give Care instructions.I often go back to the catalogue to see what the plant needs.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Careful, though. Their reviews for the new potting materials are terrible:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6/#b

There seem to be big problems with their eco-pots, and plants are being delivered dried out and dead. The nepeta is less of a risk because it is not one of the plants that tripled in price, as some did. I actually placed the largest order with Forest Farm that I have in years. a single Campanula Bernice for $12.95? That's what I paid for THREE not so long ago.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 2:52 PM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 2:54 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I looked earlier. I have a short wishlist and will give them the benefit of a doubt. I have always been happy with the plants. The peanut packing materil was a trial.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Aww, thanks for the birthday greetings. I posted a note on the Birthday Forum which I didn't realize was there until today! Duh! I am still learning so much about this website. Between searching the internet for all the pretty flowers that are mentioned on this website, and then straying around on the computer, I have to be careful or, I could spend a tremendous amount of time in my easy chair!
I have checked with Blue St. Per., and they still offer the pretty Souvenir d'Andre Chaudron. I am thinking about buying three of them. I have already ordered Nepeta 'Blue Wonder' and Nepeta 'Snowflake'. I notice Lazy S Farms has all of the above also. I think they sell qt. size plants. I wonder if I could divide the Nepetas from Lazy S Farms.
When you deadhead the Nepeta S. Chaudron, do you cut the blooms off, or all the way below the last blooming flower, or all the way down to the base of the plant?
I am hoping Bl. St. P. has corrected their shipping problems they have been experiencing. They are a trusted company. However, I have heard nothing but good things about Lazy S Farms.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I always deadheaded to just below the blooming flower. Lazy has great reviews. It's a Watchgdog 30. Quart sized is nice.

You will LOVE Snowflake. It is one of the earliest plants to bloom in my yard.

Mid-May, and then in June after I have cut it to the base. It just keeps coming back.
The other plant is self sown white borage Another great planst that keeps on coming.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhh Yes LazySS love them.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh man, the Snowflake is gorgeous. I have ordered one. I think I will make it three. White Borage is cute also. Does it have "take over" tendencies?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Borage is a wild party fun loving kind of plant. You put it in once and it pops up every year, flowers and then is very gracious about being torn out by the roots when spent. I have a white bed with Madame Hardy, flanked by 2 Marie Pavie, and to give more continuous bloom I put in double feverfew, white borage, and two white Crystal Blanca lilies (a really GREAT lily, by the way, even better than its cousin casa - shorter with stronger stems).

Put in borage once, and it's there. Here it is through the seasons. When it's spent, I rip it put. Then the next spring, there it is. No effort, and season long beauty.

By the way, the rose is Iceberg. I went through several (Iceberg hates me) but you can see why I wanted to use it. A once blooming rose, flanked by two reblooming roses, with white feverfew, white borage and two white lilies - my moon garden!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Very pretty. I once had a white garden. They are quite breath taking. I am going to look into this white borage. I "think" it is easy to grow, and the rows of flowers look so dainty. It is probably one that can be easily grown from seed.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's very easy. I put it in once and it pops up in pretty places. It's in the 40's this week so I am going to experiment by putting out some white and blue borage seeds where I would like them to grow.

One of my favorite things to do it take a plant I like, such as blue borage, and find it in white or pink. Such fun! And it makes your yard unique and a little quirky.

The blue is pretty too, and just as easy. I love blue and pink. The lilies in bud are my second bed of Anastasias, byproducts of the original three. This is a bed I moved my extras to. I love all kinds of textures and colors together. Th blue/pink/purple/white spectrum is one of my favs. The callas in the pots going to be pink, the grass is eragrostis tef (an annual) and there are tidal wave petunias grown from seed on the right.

The funny little easy to grow no maintenance plants can bring a lot of whimsey to a garden, and really fill it in later in the season.

Gonna go spread borage seeds. Thank you, Birder. I would have forgotten if it were not for you.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I agree with getting easy to grow plants in "other" colors. Why mess with difficult to grow plants when there's something out there that is cute and easy to grow?
It's going to be in the fifties today and we have part sun today.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Spring is close. Cardinals are calling mates as well as Titmice.Mourning Doves are looking at each other that must mean something!!! LOL

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, ge, I believe Spring is here. Trees have big buds, I have had crocus blooming and a couple of daffodils! Even though it's chilly, the plant life is moving forward. Our birds are checking out our nesting boxes. I have noticed the purple martins are already in northern Arkansas and in S. Carolina. We have had robins almost all winter this year.

Man are we off topic!! Oh well.

Back to lilies. Lowe's is about the only place that offers lilies around here. Then, they only offer Stargazer and one other O. Lily I did not recognize. They have a "bag" of A. Lilies. I am interested in getting some more A. Lilies. I believe mine have all disappeared. I think I will have to order them.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

My question would be, since the voles have eaten all the lilies that I have ever planted. Can I grow lilies in large 3 or 4 gallon pots and keep them there all year?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have never tried it sounds possible but a lily person would know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.