Mid-South Gardners Member List II

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

You'll love it here, Kitty!! How long you been in Ala?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

10 long years. st. amant is a dream long ago. can't even find a decent gator up here.really miss LA.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

St. Amant is definitely in my next of the woods. Between Baton Rouge and N. O. The best of both worlds!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I had a very good friend that lived on Hwy. 431. He built a mansion there and it took him almost most of his life time and filled it with antiques he had and found from auctions. His name is Jim Richardson. We called him Diamond Jim. Sad to say he lost the mansion to the bank and last I heard him & his new wife are living in Baker, I think.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

OH, THATS SO SAD. do you know many and them?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

What?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

MANNY

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Is that Manny Richardson? We also had a camp on Amite River Rd in Maurepas. I used to run down Hwy 22 to Weber City Rd. to Walmart just about every Sat. There was a lady at the corner of 22 and Weber City Rd. that had the nicest plants and sold some to the public. I can't remember her name.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yes many Richardson. how is he? robin and Wilson use to live there too. if I remember correctly, you are from denim springs.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't know them and haven't seen Jim in years. Sad to loose touch with such good friends!!!

I live just a little north of Denham Springs in what is now the city of Central. It was called Greenwell Springs, La. for my entire life and actually the post office will not recognize our city with a zip code so we still use the Greenwell Springs zip code. We're in EBR parish to make it even more confusing!!! LOL!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

now that is confusing

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you two have a lot to catch up on. :)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

last time I saw jim he gave my husband a lot of cypress wood to make me a bookcase

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

When my Jim & I got married he went into the bedroom of the little house and came back with drawers of antique jewelry and told me to pick a piece. I chose a small broach and it's been over 30 yrs now and still a favorite of mine!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

that sounds just like him, a heart of gold

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I've often dreamed of landscaping the big house. I could do it up right, now!!! Southern plantation style!!! Dripping with tropicals!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I can see it now. how pretty it would be. then you can come work you magic on mine

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Kathy!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

anytime

Muscle Shoals, AL

I'm a market grower in Muscle Shoals AL add me to the list please
My name is Ross

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Welome Ross!! Tell us about what you like about gardening, please. I love tropicals and tend to loose so many each year to this crazy weather in south Louisiana but like they say I must be crazy b/c I keep doing it over and over again!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Welcome Ross! Hope you enjoy your time here on mid south!

By the way, as a market grower, do you grow Bouvardia ternifolia in your area? I am curious as I have been trying to locate it, but it seems difficult to find.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Ross! Just down the road from you in Morgan County!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Welcome Ross, we are pretty close neighborstoo.

Muscle Shoals, AL

Here's some pics from today 05/23/2015 im growing 45 tomato plants in garden 20 go to a produce stand i promised already the seed thats pictured below is cherokee puplre which my buyer needed more so i have 2 plants further along than the ones planted in garden and seed below is for the same but further out in late season still to plant are 250 lemon boy hybrid seeds,about 100 more cherokee purple seeds and 30 packl seeds my red rose seeds- a cross between brandywine and rutgers from Tomato Growers!

Thumbnail by alabamagrowers Thumbnail by alabamagrowers Thumbnail by alabamagrowers Thumbnail by alabamagrowers Thumbnail by alabamagrowers
Ripley, MS

YUM ! Love tomatoes !!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Cherokee purple is one of my favorites to grow!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I have never tried the Cherokee Purple but I considered it this year........... I'll have to try it next year.

Cherokee Purple is now a permanent part of my garden every year. Delicious!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I never have any luck with them

Southaven, MS

Hi! I'm Donna from Southaven, MS. I've been stalking your page for months now and finally decided to join you. Lol

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi, Donna. I'm Kathy

Ripley, MS

Hi Donna, I am Sandra-I have a daughter in Hernando
Join us on the chat thread

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Donna!!! Welcome!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hi Donna! Welcome..... come join us on the chat thread for sure!

Genna

Hi there, Donna and welcome. Glad you came out of lurkdom to join us.

JordanKittyJo, that is a gorgeous DL.

Southaven, MS

Hi all and thank you for the warm welcome. Sandra I remember going to Ripley with Mom when I was little for First Monday. I hated it then but I would love it now. Do they still do that? I am not young by any means but I am fairly new to gardening so I hope you all don't mind if I ask you lots of questions. I'm learning by trial and error - mostly error! Lol. But I do love it and wish I had discovered it sooner. I will definitely join you on the chat thread when time allows. 😊

Ripley, MS

https://www.facebook.com/RipleyFirstMonday

Oh yes, still around, that is Ripleys claim to fame !

We will be glad to try and answer any questions you have, if we don't know the answer, we probably know someone who does know !

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know enough about snakes to know if this is a chicken snake or a king snake?

Thumbnail by gen2026

It looks a bit like a brown water snake to me. Not a king snake.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.