Winter dreaming of clematis...and chat, of course!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235428/

Pictures of clematis blooming together, making good matches, would be helpful to all of us.

Here's Multi Blue with Belle of Woking. I like how the BW picks up some lavender from MB.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene

So pretty. They are also both type 2's. I try to keep the same pruning groups together as well. It makes it so much easier when it comes time for pruning!

Thanks.

Do you remember Clematis Guru? She used to say you can plant clematises of two different groups and just cut the one that wants pruning to the ground - not removing all the vine growth from the previous year. That could be wonderful for those I have on hydrangea Tardiva where the old growth wouldn't be noticed but probably not a good idea for those of us who plant clem's and roses together.

Thomaston, CT

Pretty combo....is Multi Blue the same as Blue Light?

Lindenhurst, NY

Hello - Pirl your pic of Multi Blue with Belle of Woking is stunning! I LOVE that combo.
My order to Silver Star was 4 clems on Saturday. This morning I added 2 more and now i know it will grow even bigger. She's so nice Debbie - i hope I don't test her patience - although i guess they are happier to get additions instead of cancellations.

Pirl and Carolyn - who do you buy your clems from?

Marilyn - Blue Light is lighter in color.

Debbie will love you for adding to the order, Maureen!

Brushwood seems to be a big hit with clematis buyers here* as well as Garden Crossings, Joy Creek (watch out for shipping charges), and Silver Star, of course.

* http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Maureen

I have bought clematis from a number of different places, but I buy/have bought more from Dan at Brushwood.

Arlene -

I do remember when Clematis Guru said that - to me, it is just much easier to keep like pruning groups with like pruning groups. I suppose if one had the collars around each separate plant, one could mix pruning groups without a lot of difficulties....

In my plantings last year I did combine different pruning groups but only because I was desperate and figured I'd try CG's method. I kept them about a foot apart and hope for the best.

If anyone watching is interested, there's a group sale now going on for lilies - great prices. I've never bought lilies before from Bleek but will be ordering some:
http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring.htm

Athens, PA

I have ordered from Bleek and Ingrid in the past. They are wonderful and if there are any problems, they will both go out of their way to make sure you are happy. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again..... The quality of their product is wonderful, the prices are right and again, the customer service is first rate.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Very nice Carolyn!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I have already placed my order with bleek for lilies. I'm so excited. I also ordered lilies from him last spring and allium and Dutch irises in the fall, and I was VERY pleased with the bulbs received. The prices are excellent. He's a very nice person. Annette

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, Pirl, Thanks for the link on the lilies. 'Spose I could persuade the deer from eating my lilies, I'd love to get more!!! I see they have trumpets, my favs. Are there any more of those co-ops?

Pix: one of my wildflowers, (unk)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Thanks for your endorsement of the lilies and other items, Annette.

Kathy - no other co-ops or group buys on lilies that I've seen. Why not put that beauty on the Plant Identification forum so we'll know the name of it. The color is wonderful. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

Thomaston, CT

Almost looks like a penstemon....

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pirl...question on co-op is: are there any others than the one listed for lillies, if you find them let us know....Please!!!! Thanx. And Pirl 85 Clems., oh my, you are hooked. LOL. Isn't it nice to have habits. Ever tried growing any on lilacs? That's what I've surrounded my main border with, hope I get some blooms this spring!!!

Carolyn... wow, and you have 44, Really, you two are true conisuers (sp?) lol........ I haven't counted how many I have, guess I've been afraid to, lol. Thinking is in the 20+ range maybe, definatley will check in the spring. We only have a couple of thousand more to get......lol!

Ref. pix above, am thinking it had leaves similar to lupine, only got to 10-12". I thought it might be related to Texas bluebonnets, color is off tho. Have it growing wild in the fields here. Will check on them in the spring for leaves and to see what form of seed pod they have, if more lupine like penstemonish. Don't cha just love my new word, lol.

Pix: more of wild flowers

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted minature daffs around all the new lilies that I planted in fall, as recommended by DonnaMack. We'll see how they do against the critters this year. Thank goodness I have a fence, no deer but lots of bunnies who seem to think that the lilies are planted for their eating pleasure.

wwk, love the pictures of the wild flowers, and pirl, love the pictures of the combos. Annette

Lindenhurst, NY

That wild flower is so pretty. Funny, my first thought was lupine....then i thought, no penstemon...
I love the color.

The wild flowers are wonderful. I love those colors together. I have one gorgeous lilac and unless I see them and smell them in person I won't buy more.

If I counted all the clematises that never returned and all I have it would number around 200.

Kathy - I only know of the lily "group sale" and the caladium 15% off sale - tonight I gave in and bought both! I refuse to look at clematises until I have more self-control.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL!!!! You say you just bought more plants. How is that self control??? LOL!!!! Oh, you specified clems,lol....How funny... Now you sound like me. I know I won't be buying too much this spring cuz of my kitchen project, darn!!!! LOL.

I've read about those sales in other rooms, so was wondering.

Wildflower has mertensia and the mystery flower.

Thanks pirl for the giggle. Kathy.

Pix: another wildflower Ratibida c.

Thomaston, CT

Kathy, my art teacher lived in Colorado for many years....her husband is from Boulder...anyway, she talks about the wildflowers & how much she loved painting them....she's a botanical watercolorist....now I can see what she's talking about! Sadly, for me, her house her in CT is for sale, & she & DH plan on moving back to Boulder....

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Pirl Ilove that combination. I wish my clems looked as good as yours do! You all were busy this weekend . I spent 2 days outside using a push mower to mow our acre and cutting back rose bushes and other yard work no internet time at all . Probably good because I am needing a plant fix bad right now!

Kathy - I did breakdown and went looking at Brushwood but did not buy even one - or any of the nine photos I saved. I'm still "just looking" at roses - only fragrant floribundas. A little more snow and I might weaken more.

The lily "group sale" is right here at DG - check the Classified Ads. I don't go to the other sites.

That Ratibida is so wonderful. Love the cone top!

Marilyn - it's always upsetting when friends move. My local gardening buddy is moving to Michigan to be near her daughters. I'll miss her terribly.

Thanks, DD. No mowing snow here! Enjoy the warmth you have!

Here's the combination I planted (except for the salvia, which will get planted in May) back on Nov. 30th. I hope it ends up as nice as my dreams of it are.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wonderful combination. I look forward to the pictures of your gardens. I know they will get me through the dreaded Az summer!

Thomaston, CT

Beautiful combinations, Pirl.....that white clem is outstanding....

Thanks, DD. I spent all the days of the heat wave inside in the blessed AC.

Marilyn - I love that one, too. It's Guernsey Cream and the last clematis to be planted.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

That looks great! Makes my eyes smile.

Anna - thank you! That's really sweet of you to say.

I spend a lot of time trying to make good matches. Some do better than others.

Three of this foursome have been in place for many years so I hope the addition of Ashva, upper left, works out.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lindenhurst, NY

Oh i love the wildflowers too. Looks like a pine cone on top of that one.

Pirl - those color combos of white, purple and pink are so beautiful. Love them!

Ashva will have to fight its way to the top to show off because it's quite crowded now.

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Pirl, that is a beutiful clematis . When you have a trellis like yours, do you plant the clematis in the middle of it or to the side of it and let it climb up. I have a pattern to make out of treated wood, so I need to know when it is ready and painted to where to plant my new ordered plants. How tall is that trellis, I know it has a special neme but can't remember. I hope the snow is gone from you, and you can continue to work outside. Thanks, Etelka

Lindenhurst, NY

Oh Pirl - that is gorgeous!!! All of your flowers are amazing. I just have to see your gardens some day:-)
How much is an obelesk like that and where did you buy it?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have found the picure of the obelesk, if you handy you can make it from the 1 x 1 treated wood from LOws.I have priced some new ones, over a 100.00.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

It seems to me I have some patterns for trellises and obelisks, I know I have several books on such things. Some are made from lumber and others are made from twigs, even copper pipe if I remember correctly. Will try to find if there's an interest. More things on my to do list, yikes, lol. Kathy.

Etelka - Jack made the original obelisk for me and it lasted for 15 years. Then we had a local guy make the replacement and another carpenter redo the top - that was a total of about $150. The first carpenter didn't want to make the ovals but I insisted and got my way! I'm not positive of the height but I'll measure it tomorrow since our snow is now history - the rain washed it away today. The original one blew down right after it was put in place so Jack made a base and bolted it to the base. That worked fine. The new one is wider and is not bolted and blew over so we left it on its side for the winter to avoid further damage.

If you do make it, Etelka, paint the wood (at least two coats) before assembling it. That's much easier than painting it when it's done. I have one clematis on each of the four sides.

Maureen - take a drive out this spring or summer. I'd love to meet you. Bring a shovel and pots if you want any daylilies.

Thumbnail by pirl
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hint for you pirl...come spring upright that obelisk, get some rebar stakes from home depot for approx $2 each, 12-24" sizes. Pound into ground from inside, drive deep, take some rebar wire (cheap $3 roll, 2000ft), and wire low to the ground. No one will ever know. Lol. I make my temp. fences out of rebar wire as is cheap and easy to work with. And it seems like I come up with all sorts of uses for rebar, so far I have one tunnel arch made from the stuff, 2 and 3 coming this spring, lol. Kathy.

Pix is Passiflora carulea on rebar tunnel

Thomaston, CT

Truly beautiful clems.....and the passion flower is wonderful!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Pirl that picture of Ashva should be in a magazine or something. You gals really put me i my place seeing your beautiful clems. Mine never looks so lush or green but I am happy to be able to grow them. They usually looke really good in the fall and spring. Summer really beats them up!

Kathy - I have a huge supply of rebar and another friend mentions he uses rebar to prop some garden decor in place. I'd rather have Jack bolt it to wood but that means he'd have to make a new base and I have to be present while he measures so he doesn't cover any clematis. Love that passion flower.

DD - sorry, I should have mentioned that the photo of Ashva isn't mine but from Brushwood. They get the credit, not me. Summer just isn't kind to many of our clem's so it's not just yours.

Omoshiro, pictured here, hasn't yet become as lush as others but I love it anyhow.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have not had much luck with oshmiro but may try again.

I bought two more last year. One is near the original (pictured above) and another is next to a tuteur. I'm hoping they do get lush.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.