Winter dreaming of clematis...and chat, of course!

Lindenhurst, NY

I have seeds that i'm going to try to germinate. Anyone want to try some of my seeds. They are either from:

HF Young or
Will Goodwin

(tags got mixed up)

anyone have any other clematis seeds?

Lindenhurst, NY

Well i went out to clean up my yard today from my 2 crazy dogs...and while i was out i checked some clematis i have been growing for a few years and wasn't sure which they were... they were small when i got them.
Name tags are:

Elsa Spath
Ruutel
The President
Ernest Markham

Looks Like Elsa Spath should be large this year and Ernest Markham will hopefully do well, i transplanted it last year to a better spot.

How tall will Ernest get? It's on a 6' obelesk...i'm afraid it's not large enough for this clematis.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here is Brushwood's brand new site (at least new/revised to me) so you can look for all the clematises you mentioned and save the information on each one for future use:

http://www.brushwoodnursery.com/large_flowered_clematis.htm

Here Ernest tops 5' and then comes forward and down the side for a total of about 9 or 10'.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lindenhurst, NY

Oh that's a beauty Pirl. I'm going to leave mine on the 6' structure it's on now. This poor clem has been in 3 spots since i got it....i don't think it ever got to show me it's stuff because it never got established in any spot. Right now it's at the edge of my veggie garden.

i'm going to check Brushwood now. Thanks for the link.

If it survived three moves it should thrive for you, Maureen.

Last year I planted Patricia Ann Fretwell to the side, hoping for a good match this year. It's victorgardener's photo on the left and Brushwood's photo on the right.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Same clem?

Lindenhurst, NY

Robin - i think Ernest Markham is on the right and Patricia Ann Fretwell to the left.

They look nice together Pirl.

Athens, PA

Arlene

They do look great together.

OK - I gave in an ordered more from Brushwood. I ordered 2 - integrifolia Alba, 1 Clematis Floris V, and 2 more Betty Corning. The 2 Bettys are to climb up the latticwork at the back of the house and the 2 Integrifolia Albas are to plant at the base of the Betty Cornings. These will all be planted into 2 whiskey barrels against the lattice work in the back. The Floris V is also an integrefolia (I just love the integrifolias!) is to be planted in the new bed I put into the front of the house. I went with a purple/yellow/silver theme.

Lindenhurst, NY

Carolyn - i must go look up the etegrefolias, i'm not familiar with them. I never thought to put clematis in whiskey barrels. What a good idea. I had 2 whiskey barrels in my backyard the 1st year i moved in my house. It's now 7 yrs, so they are 6 years old. They are now falling apart and can't be used this coming summer....i guess they have limited amount of time before they start to rot and break down.
I will be buying 2 new ones this year.. I love the purple/yellow/silver theme. sounds really pretty.

Maureen is right with the identification of the clem's. I checked yesterday and Patricia Ann Fretwell does have buds so I hope to see some blooms this year and many more next year.

You weakened, Carolyn! Good for you. I know you love the integrifolia family and hope your plan works out well. Nice color scheme there.

Maureen - good luck with the whiskey barrels. Is there any reason you can't plant the clem's directly in the soil? You can save the metal barrel rings and make a few areas of mixed elements so you have a safe place to stand without stepping on any plants in your garden. Mine became valuable to me as the plants grew fast.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Maureen

Integrefolias are type 3's and do not cling. Rooguchi is an integrefolia. I have a couple that are about 18" to 2ft tall and just sprawl through the floor of my garden. Hakurei (pictured) is one of them.

I am also partial to the bell shaped flowers.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I love integrefolias too. Petit Faucon and Inspiration (pic) have done well for me. I have ordered Rooguchi. I love the two tone bell shape.
Pirl. that is a nice idea...I need to make something so I don't dig my cable line.(again!)

Thumbnail by bananna18

Nice flowery carpet there, Carolyn.

Once I start looking at clematises I find I like too many more of them and just don't have the right spots so they'll have to wait until I get more inspiration.

Even an old piece of slate will do to remind you, Anna. I dug my phone line twice, then put down some bluestone pieces left over from the new steps. That has solved the problem.

That's such a pretty color!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful clem Pirl. Ernest was my grandfathers name

Thanks. It loves that spot and it has spread and is now three plants.

I love how nicely my friend's clem's cover her shed.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OHHHH BABY

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

WOW!!!!!

It is so packed with flowers!

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

I know I'll never see that in my yard...but one can always dream!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh my.....those two clems together are beautiful!!!!! Any idea how old they are? And Pirl is that pink clem Ernest Markham? ( thought Ernest was a red?)

Bananna...is that pink one an integ?

Nice here today, got to the low 60's, yeah!!! Been busy tearing out the kitchen, new cabinets 'spose to go in tomorrow. Busy, busy,lol.

Pix is linum perenne (flax)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Ernest is definitely not red here - more like magenta or very dark pink. No idea how old my friend's clems are but I'll ask her when I go back to continue digging plants tomorrow.

New kitchens are so exciting. I've done three over (different homes) and each time it's a learning experience.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

warriorswisdomkathy Yes that is an Integrefolias: Inspiration. It spills over a small wall and has some other plants to grow over.
Oh., I need to change my kitchen cabinets and surfaces...I just know that new cabinets will lead to new floors through out the house$$$$$$
I hope it goes well!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yup, new cabinets, countertops, flooring, fridg., dishwasher, micro/convection, and sink. Also got a new stove 5 years ago and has never been hooked up yet, soon tho. Will be texturing the walls and then painting. Cabinets are unfinished and will be staining them with blue varnish and an overlay of white wash, going after the French Country affect (pepsi can blue and white). Gosh is it done yet? lol. Next month, new shingles and paint on the garage and then house this spring. The only thing I have to do is paint the house., am thinking a mid blue and white trim. Any helpers? Where's my elf????

Pix is veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue, 28" and all summer bloom, great vase life too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely pix everyone.
We remodeled the 1986 kitchen here 4 years ago. Its so much better to work in.
Barhroom was next 3 years ago.Got rid of the jaquesie and have a really big shower with heated tile floor.

We're still in the planning stages for our master bedroom bath. Hate wasting the nice days to look in showrooms!

Thomaston, CT

New kitchen floor & appliances last year....this year, also painting the house.....it is stone-colored, with brown trim, am thinking of changing the trim to deep maroon but staying with the stone...Jo, your kitchen & bath came out awesome.....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks.I loved doing it.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Cabinets got put in today, now having to wait for things to be delivered or people to come do a few things like the microwave/convection oven and the stove to be hooked up. Fridge and dishwasher being delivered tomorrow. Have some work to do outside tomorrow then painting the cabinets begins. Long day...whew!! Yes, I'm so ready for a working kitchen. 'Spose to be in the mid 50"s tomorrow then snow coming in for two days.

Pix: smiling.

Take photos!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love "before's and afters"

Me, too!

Here's a before from April 1991 a few days before we signed contract for the house.

Sorry it's so blurry. It's a photo of a photo.

Thumbnail by pirl

After.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just stunning. Are those hydrangeas with the lilies and Phlox?

Yes. They are part of the "inherited landscaping" and I do enjoy them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely combos.
Just out now and see teeeeny buds on my clems.Henrii is going gangbusters.Kiri te Kanawa ia just 1 stem but budded and MultiBlue looks feeble but is alive. Most other clems here were planted last summer so they arent awake yet,if they made it at all.

Athens, PA

Interesting - I like the lilies with the hydrangeas. We are putting in some more of the privacy fencing this spring and I already have my hydrangeas that I am going to plant in front of the fencing (Lowes clearance last fall). I like the lilies interspersed with the hydrangeas. I will have to keep that combo in mind.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Pirl your photos are stunning!1 I cannot even imagine being able to grow lilies like your!

Thanks. The hydrangeas keep their color long after the lilies are gone unless we get the oppressive heat wave as we did last July. Both hydrangeas are against the house, not mingled with the lilies. I do have phlox, lupine, yarrow, ferns and heuchera in with the lilies along with 9 clematises on the trellis and 5 more to the left at the stump from the pine shown in the old photo.

Within other gardens I have more than 100 hydrangeas of blue, white, pink, purple and the wonderful Limelight blooms of light green slowly changing to cream. They are almost too easy to root so don't hesitate to take cuttings and enrich your gardens for free.

I got this one (and others) at a greenhouse for $2.00 each because they had no tags. How can you not love such a bargain.

Can't believe it's 55 degrees and sunny at 11 AM.

Thumbnail by pirl

Thanks, DD. They do grow well here.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

i love hydrangeas . Seems to me I remeber calling them snowball plants when I was a little girl. This is another plant I cannot grow here. My little brother just bought his first house so I am hoping to get up there this summer or next at the latest. I am going to plant everything i cannot grow here!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.