Is this a greenhouse?....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree, it is great to tour others greenhouses. Very fun to see how they set it up and what they use it for whether it is vegetable or tropical plants or just seed starting. The next best thing to walking through one.

You know, it always feels like my GH is stuffed with plants and too much other stuff but when I take photos, it looks sparse. Maybe I need more plants!?!! 8 )

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

You can never have too many plants!!

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I love it when mine are doing good and looking healthy. I have the one arrow leaf plant (Syngonium podophyllum), that i have had for 15 years now. It has been cut back to the soil line, moved several times and states, frozen, attacked by the cat. It still hangs in there, and now has several baby plants in their own pots. I don't even count them anymore.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden

Loving the photos! And the space to turn around! Love the repurposing of kitchen cabinets and church pews.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I am feeling some greenhouse envy ...lol

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Yeah Cindy, old kitchen cabinets and the countertop by the fan was a vanity top in one of our bathrooms. The cutout for the round sink sink was perfect for placing the trash can under. Actually all the windows used to create the sidewalls were from a house remodel job that a friend did.

Doug

Very cool!
DH wishes I would have chosen a larger GH kit but didn't have a lot of space on the south side of the garage (pie-shaped lot) and there's not enough sun in the back of the house (faces east) with lots of overhanging tree branches. I do have to move things to get to other things but I can still cram a lot of plants in there. I had used my old kitchen cabinets for the laundry area so got a Rubbermaid tall cabinet for stashing APS trays, pots, etc (but never have enough room for all my "stuff"). I see you have Boston ferns in your GH, Doug. Mine prefer the GH to being indoors even though it stays cool at night.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Way too dry for them in the house. I gave them a good haircut before putting them in there for the winter. They're coming back nicely.

I have one that's scheduled for dividing this year. I'll be doing that in the next week or so to give it time to recover before spring and "public" viewing.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Love the greenhouse! I too have greenhouse envy!

Cindy you have a Dmail!

Jeanne

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Been so warm I decided the greenhouse time was over. Moved back to the covered patio. Started this last Jul-Aug. Spring, Summer and Fall man-cave, instead of the GH!

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Tried to post two pics, don't know what happened

Thumbnail by postmandug

Delightful enough! Do you not have mosquito problems?

If I was willing to 'air' my laundry, I'd post photos of what I do with the greenhouse when the plants all get moved out. LOL
I have two clotheslines in there and on hot, hot days, I can dry up to three loads of clothes in a day. A multitasking greenhouse for sure!

Haven't moved them all out yet though. We are enoying much company and I haven't accomplished much this spring.

Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

Looks like a great place to watch NCAA basketball this weekend! GO BIG BLUE!

Wayne

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes Wayne. We expect about 30-35 people over. Frying about 20 lbs of fish and doing a Shrimp Boil too. CATS......

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi -

I am loving everyone's greenhouses! My husband and I are just getting ready to purchase ours. We are hoping to start seeds away from the intense florida sun and grow some hot peppers (my husbands addiction). If anyone has any tips please let me know.

If you planning to use it in summer, consider shade cloth and make the shade cloth easy to use. Good luck with yours. Hope to see your photos soon... Kristi

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Kristi -

The one we are looking at has frosted panels on the top, but we do have a shadecloth on our list. I also found a mister kit that uses pvc piping. I am very excited to get started!

Ahhh ~ a mister would be nice.

I wish I could fix panels of shade cloth material or perhaps have shadecloth on rollers to use when needed. I am just finishing moving my plants out because I couldn't find or install the shadecloth without rearranging the plants anyway.

Note to myself to be better organized next fall when I move the plants in... lol Live and learn.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

floridabunnie, You may want to look into the Harbor Freight models if you want a package. The price is good and you could easily add a few modifications to help storm proof it. Here is a link to ours.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243490/
and a link to Oldmudhouses'
http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/
Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.
Holly's Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.