Is this a greenhouse?....

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

This little building was on the property when we bought it, in 2010. Now, we know it is for plants. Is it a greenhouse? Or something else? It only has the door and the windows for light and ventilation, no sky lights, it is oriented E/W....located almost behind the garage.
It has low plant shelves, on 3 sides, below the windows. To us, it just looks like it doesn't make a very good green house, or grow house or anything. Oh, it has a shingled roof and a concrete slab foundation also. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

The inside of the little building.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Before we cleaned it up and started using it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I suspect the people who built it probably intended it as a greenhouse, but maybe they didn't like the look of a regular greenhouse, or they wanted the potential to be able to use it for other things besides plants too so they built it that way instead of all glass/polycarbonate like most greenhouses. Or they built it knowing they might sell the house soon, and figured something that could be a shed or an office or a greenhouse or a playhouse might be more appealing to potential buyers than something that is clearly only a greenhouse. Or they might have been a bit fuzzy on some of the details of what would make the best greenhouse so didn't bother with ventilation, more glass to let more light in, etc.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Do your trees lose their leaves in winter? If so the available light should be more than enough to use it as a greenhouse/potting shed. You could always add a skylight with vent for more light plus ventilation.

Doug

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

We are in SC, zone 7..west of Columbia. I was thinking they might have built it that way to keep out some of the summer sun. This whole property is put together kind of strangely though. The main house bathroom, is stuck on the side of the house, like it was an afterthought. Amongst other things.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I rather like your greenhouse.

If you are inclined to change it, in the future you might remove the roof decking/shingles and install greenhouse panels on the roof to make it more practical.

Then, you could always use shade cloth in summer if needed. Kristi

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Podster- too funny. I was just asking DH about that very option this past weekend. It seems very over built for a greenhouse. Maybe it's more of a potting shed.
I did look the panels up online. It might be an option in the future. I was just curious of what others thoughts on my little building might be. I have always seen the green houses in glass or plastic panels. Potting sheds as little dark cozy places, to maybe pot plants and store garden tools.

Well, it was probably built by a guy for his lady with good intentions of it being a greenhouse (with apologies to my husband) but he wasn't a plant guy so what did he know?

Concrete floor although I actually don't mind it. And I did get polycarbonate roofing and found the siding half way up the walls works to keep the GH warmer.

So how could I not say thank you to my honey? LOL

You see why I had to chuckle when I saw yours...

Thumbnail by podster
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Well Kristi I think that looks wonderful, especially with the poly roof.

Doug

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh podster!!...You have my ...err....greenhouse!! Yes, the concrete floor even. The somewhat finished inside walls and ceiling, and the token electrical wire to flip on the one, or is it 2, flourescent light fixtures. They did grow plants sell, but they also had a box out back with potting soil in it. DH thought it looked like a rabbit hutch, but I reminded him that it had the potting soil in it, and they sold plants too in the little storefront building.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

This is the little storefront out by the road. We had to live in it for the first 100 days it took to get the main house liveable.
Now, I will be opening a store myself, a shop anyways. Haps I might sell plant-lings too...like the previous owners did.

Looks like a great space for potting, rooting cuttings (wouldn't want strong sun on them), etc. You could either expand the size of south windows or add some shop lights indoors for growing seedlings.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Meh...that's the kicker. It is all oriented wrong. The big banks of windows, East and West only. Limited sun exposure due to trees and building. The south wall, 2 windows, and they are facing the pump house. It is one of those "scratch my head in confusion" buildings. The west wall, has the door in it. The east wall, total bank of slatted shelves. It was my best location last summer. The opposite west all shelves, I ended up using them for baby seedlings, as they didn't get the exposure as much as the east wall did. My new custom built potting bench, went in the one empty wall on the other side of the door. Up till then, I was having to use the slatted shelves for a potting bench. Too low, caused alot of back ache.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is my potting bench. Narrow, but high enuff to use comfortably. And, it is not anchored to the wall or floor. I can dismantle it and take it outside. I am finding the need to completely clean the potting shed/greenhouse after a season of use.

Quote from postmandug :
Well Kristi I think that looks wonderful, especially with the poly roof.

Doug

I like it too. I have a wood heater, an old church pew, a work table, chairs, radio. I spend many an hour there although it is almost too full. The cat collection and sometimes even the dogs join me.

If I could change anything, it would be its' positioning. In summer it catches sun from 11 am to sunset. In Texas, I'm amazed the heat hasn't curled the roof panels. Even with shadecloth, a plant couldn't survive. I intend to try a higher rated shadecloth this year.

Seems to me that the size of the windows compared to the size of the walls is that it was meant for plants or a screened-in summer building. The new potting bench fits in there perfectly. Ever think about putting a nice chair in there for reading?

I really like the sturdiness of all of your greenhouses and am totally jealous. :) My kit GH has a metal frame and polycarbonate panels so there's no coziness in there.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Cindy is jealous and so am I. It's great - enjoy it.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I am....just not sure how to best utilize it yet. I love the potting bench. DH made it to my specifications from wood crates from France. His job gets copper blanks in the crates for their machinists work. he crates are just tossed outside and burned. DH drags them home. We made the chicken tractor from them too. The elbow grease is getting them the 40 miles home, cleaning them up of nails/ They are like 12' long I think. Maybe it is 14'. I don't remember. But it is all good wood.

We love to reduce/reuse/recycle/repurpose.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Moxie, I would replace the roof with a clear greenhouse roof, then dismantle the multilevel shelves- (that arrangement where you have to lean over to reach the top level is just a bad back waiting to happen) use the boards to build a bench the proper height along both sides where you can work comfortably, and you're in business. The boards at 3 levels will be just what you need to change to one level- it will take the same number of boards--Every one of us is green with envy over your cute little building!!! Good luck-

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 8:09 AM

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Quote from JoParrott :
Moxie, I would replace the roof with a clear greenhouse roof, then dismantle the multilevel shelves- (that arrangement where you have to lean over to reach the top level is just a bad back waiting to happen) use the boards to build a bench the proper height along both sides where you can work comfortably, and you're in business. The boards at 3 levels will be just what you need to change to one level- it will take the same number of boards--Every one of us is green with envy over your cute little building!!! Good luck-

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 8:09 AM

Oh don't I know!!My back took many an ibuprofen before DH built me the potting bench. We will look into the roof this spring or summer. Perhaps. It is a cute little building. Too bad we cannot speak with the people who built it. They are long gone. Funny thing is, in the front yard area, there is an almost identical poured concrete slab. I think they were going to put it there first, then decided to move it to the back yard. The front gets very little sun. all that is there is the slab.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Quote from podster :

I like it too. I have a wood heater, an old church pew, a work table, chairs, radio. I spend many an hour there although it is almost too full. The cat collection and sometimes even the dogs join me.

If I could change anything, it would be its' positioning. In summer it catches sun from 11 am to sunset. In Texas, I'm amazed the heat hasn't curled the roof panels. Even with shadecloth, a plant couldn't survive. I intend to try a higher rated shadecloth this year.

Oh yeah, I have a whole stereo system in there hooked up to my Sirius satellite radio and my MP3 player to jam to the blues while fussing with my plants! My own little getaway. The fridge is in the storage barn it's attached to, so the beer isn't too far way either!!! Oh the dog comes in for a couple of minutes, then wants right back outside. Maybe 'cause my music's too loud?????

Bet the plants don't protest the loud music do they!?!! lol

Moxies_garden ~ if they used to sell plants or seedlings in their little shop, you already have a foot in the door on starting your business. Good going and good luck!

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Yup...yup Podster. My shop is going to be alterations. Then, I plan on selling boutique-y things too. CP soaps, kitchen linens, vintage textiles perhaps, seeds from my gardens, custom ordered clothing for Rennaisance Festivals. I am just going to see what sells good. What people around here are interested in.
I still have a long ways to go though. DH has the bottom baseboard of my counter glued and assembled so far. But his saw broke, and now he has to fabricate a new gear for it. I have to do the legal footwork for my place.

doug - sweet!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I was up there earlier this evening and thought about all of you, so I went and got my camera....

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Front view

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

My tour plaque and watercolor by a plein air painter during the tour

Thumbnail by postmandug

It's terrific, Doug!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

More like a man cave for gardeners than a greenhouse Pirl!!

Could be a gal's cave just as easily, Doug. Love the American Gothic take-off!

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

It was probably used to store potted outdoor plants that would go dormant like perennials that she/he did not want to bring indoors because of insects in the plants or soil.
I have a couple of plants in my garage which has windows on one side. Just enough light and heat so I don't have to bring the plants inside or let them outside to die.
And on rainy days I would use that building to continue doing things that I could not do in the rain, like planting up seedings or planting seeds.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Quote from pirl :
Could be a gal's cave just as easily, Doug. Love the American Gothic take-off!

Janis and Jimi.....

Aha!

Doug... your "front view" looks like the mad scientists' lab. lol

I like your greenhouse art work!

This is decorating my GH wall. A friend paints Americana and gave me this one...

Thumbnail by podster

... and my favorite spot, the vintage church pew.
It faces the wood heater and right behind this pew, is my potting/work table.

This kitty did not like the sound of rain on the roof!

Thumbnail by podster

and just one more, a quick glance at the green stuff.

This was taken last year. I haven't filed this years photos yet.

Thumbnail by podster
Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Podster, and doug....Fantastic pictures!! They give me ideas for mine! I love looking at what others do with their places....so many neat ideas!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.