Any Interest for a Greater Philly swap meet?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think the yankee swaps are mean.. just my opinion

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

here are links to articles by critterologist on doing a swap

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1479/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1478/

I had suggested this outdoor pavilion location earlier when I thought there was a possibility of combining the Mount Laurel plant sale in am with lunch (yum yum pot luck!) and a plant and seed swap on April 28.

http://www.mountlaurel.com/recreation/pavilion.php

Laurel Acres Pavilion and Reservations

The Pavilion at Laurel Acres Park provides an excellent location for family reunions, birthday parties, and company picnics. Seating at the pavilion and use of the grills is on a first come-first serve basis unless reservation are made. Do to the high demand of holding events at the park, the pavilion often is reserved several months in advance. Because of its popularity, booking for weekends in the summer months has occured a year in advance.

The pavilion can be reserved for up to 5 hours at a time and only one reservation per day per group is allowed. Use of the pavilion by groups of 50 or less may be limited to half of the tables available in order to accomodate another small group or the general public.
FEE SCHEDULE FOR THE PICNIC PAVILION (as of 1/1/10)
GROUP SIZE MT. LAUREL
RESIDENTS NON-RESIDENTS
Up to 50 $30.00 $60.00
50 and up $70.00 $100.00

CALL (856) 234-2070 to check on availability and to
receive an application for reserving the pavilion. The Public Works department now handles Pavilion rental activity.

Thumbnail by coleup
Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Coleup,

I went back to that post where you suggested it on the 6th of Feb
& had replied that it sounded like a good idea to me.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061079/
Sent an email to Coleuslover & haven't heard from her .

Since there were a couple of folks who had asked me for a tentative
date prior to that post so they could sure to get the day off; in the end
I felt it might be really rude of me to change it after all.

However, its still 2+ months away and if the consensus is to coordinate
with Mt Laurel it still wouldn't for difficult for people to change their work
schedule. LMK

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I for one don't mind the 28th of April, and coordinating it with the date of the plant sale sounds like fun.

If that pavillion is not available, there are pavillions for rent at Pennington Park near Delanco. Don't know how that works for you geographically. It would cost $25 for the small or medium pavillion for Burlington county residents (and I am one). It is near a community garden where people could stroll and look at the plots. According to the calendar, it is available for both the 21st and 28th. That's just an alternative--Mt. Laurel would be preferable of course.

http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/Pages/pages.aspx?cid=590

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'm not opposed to a park and certainly Never to a pot luck but....
Last April's rainfall in our region broke records (and I did check just to make
sure my memory wasn't faulty) and for my first hostessing I'm nervous
about a literal wash out.

Some said above they didn't mind spending $15 for lunch at a restaurant
& I'm going to stick to that. I will notify those who were going to try to change
their work schedules of the date change to the 28th. This way those who
would like to go to the Mt Laurel plant sale may do so - then come to the
swap after. Coleuslover said the sale is usually over by noon & I had planned
on trying for a Noon - 1pm start time depending on what restaurant I can
book.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

So, the date is the 28th? 'll go change the calendar.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

That sounds good to me too,

Mount Laurel, NJ

If you do plan to have it at same time as Mt. Laurel Garden Club plant sale (Apr 28), be aware that there is a very nice Wegmans right near by. Do people bring plants to swap? If so, where do they put them? Maybe we could just meet in the parking lot of the library and then go over to Wegman's. No one would find it strange if we were huddled around swapping plants and seeds. There is also a used book sale at the library that day.

Let me know if anyone in the southern Jersey area wants to carpool.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Marie,
At the top of the page I put the towns people were from so you
may want to D-mail someone near you.

OK Chris

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

For those of you not familiar with Wegman's. They do offer an a la carte "buffet"
of American, Asian & Italian choices. There is an elevator one takes to the
second floor where you microwave your meal. There's a balcony with lots of tables
& chairs & an area to get your fountain beverages.

The food is pretty good & prices are ok but I feel its always pretty noisy and would
prefer to go someplace more private.

Let me know your thoughts.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

IMO Wegmans isn't a real restarurant type envioroment where we'll need a nice separate corner or room for us.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

If you are having plants as well as seeds that can get pretty messy. Pretty hard to drag flats though a restaurant so I would think the plant swapping would need to be done outside in the parking lot area, no matter where we would go. Something like Wegmans would work if we wanted to do a tailgate type party. People could bring packed lunches or go inside to get food. But you are subject to whatever weather conditions are that day.
If it is more of a visit, trade some seeds an spend a little time in the parking lot giving out plants then I would think you would want a little more privacy so we can talk and visit.
Ric and I are still on the tentative list. I will probably be working by then so we will be playing it by ear. What ever you set up will work for us. We would be bringing more plants than seeds. We are still planing on hosting our swap on May 19th but I know everyone won't be able to make it here on that date so I look at your swap as a chance to see people and do a little swapping with those that can't make it to our house. A day talking plants with friends is always a fun day.

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Some thoughts:

:Perhaps a diner type restaurant, where there would be:

1. A variety of food and prices
2. Tables they could move together to accommodate us

With a large parking area to do the plant swapping

What about the relative geographic locations of the plant sale and the Christmas Shop? Are they close to each other? Someplace midway?

I am not familiar with the area. Is there someone here who is?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

There's a Chili's, Old Country buffet, or a Cheesecake Factory(which I would favor)

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Is the Cheescake Factory the same as Penny's employer on The Big Bang Theory?

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Willing to accommodate our small group.
Cheesecake Factory
Seasons52 - American

Would anyone prefer an Italian or Oriental choice?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Is the MEG swap date the 21st or the 28th? If it is the 28th then the "upcoming events in the Mid Atlantic" thread needs to be changed to reflect correct date. Thanks

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the reminder to correct the date there.
It is the 28th.

Mount Laurel, NJ

The Mount Laurel Library, where the plant sale will be held, is also close to Moorestown Mall. There is a big food court there with lots of different type foods. It's not terribly crowded.
There is parking area outside food court (and all around the mall), of course.

Mount Laurel, NJ

Here's a map showing the plant sale location (purple ball), in relation to Moorestown Mall. (Distance is about 1.5 miles and both are easily accessible from Rt 38.) There are several other restaurants (besides the food court) in the immediate area around the mall, Panera Bread, Friendly's, Chick fila, Pablo's, Perkins, Five Guys, Wendy's etc.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

coleuslover, is the plant sale inside the library, outside, or both?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you should put all the details & address for the sale in your first post.. to make it easy to find

Mount Laurel, NJ

Mt. Laurel Garden Club Plant sale is Apr 28, 9am-noon. at the Mt. Laurel library, 100 Walt Whitman Ave, Mt. Laurel, NJ. Be there early as the good stuff goes first and fast. We are frequently sold out by 11am. Sale is outside the library near the front door. There is also a used book sale taking place inside the library. Plant sale takes place rain or shine. Plants range from $2 to about $15. Can't guarantee nothing over $15, but MOST are $2 to $8. Mostly perennials, a few annuals, including coleus.
- We are going to put in some flats of annuals this year. They will sell at $12, which is just a little above cost. Also, just a few hanging baskets for $15. These are nicer than what you'd buy at a discount store.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 9:54 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

great info! I'll put a link to your post in the Events thread. I changed the date for the MEG, too. :-)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

If we're definitely doing this now is the time to start the new threads...1 thread should be all the info and who is coming 2nd thread should be all the wants and haves

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

You're right Jen,

I just came back last night from a trade convention & had intended to start
the threads before I left but there just wasn't time.

I'll get them up before the day is over

Cris

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Looking forward to it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I are still hoping to come.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh dear, I am sorry to say that I won't be able to come. There is a family baby shower that day up in north Jersey. I was sooo looking forward to meeting you all. I am bummed! Have fun though

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sorry you can't make it Jan.

My apologies to all for not being a better hostess & organizer.
We are renovating our house and I have been spending a great
deal of time stripping woodwork of 6 layers of old paint. Its been
time consuming & frustrating. I was hoping to get my dining room
done by this weekend & at the rate its progressing it won't be done
until Mother's Day.

Anyway, I've added a partial list of "have's" on the other page.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure where to find the "other page".

Ooooops! Found it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1247952/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Will miss you Jan!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok all you peeps out there....this swap is fast approaching....what restaurant are we meeting at????

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

was wondering where and when myself.. Michele is coming with me and needs every detail in advance .. OCD like that.. she is making me nuts when I tell her I don't know yet.. she needs weeks to mentally prepare to go on a trip

:)

It is now confirmed that I'll be baby sitting from Thursday until Monday and won't be able to make it. Sorry that I'll miss everyone, but I'd like to send my seeds to you Cris, if you or someone would like to d mail me with an address. Teri

Well since no one has decided on where , when,and what time. I wont be coming either. I too like to know what I am doing in advance. So my In laws are coming up that day. Which would I rather do, well gardening of course.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 6:34 AM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like this group is getting smaller!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.