Better Bush Hybrid

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

If you ever grew a Better Bush tomato plant, I think you would grow it every year. When it is not strucken with a fungus or a desease, it is the prettiest tomato plant on earth. Just my opinion and we are all entitled to one.
I wanted to grow a no hassle tomato plant in the garden this year and I have chosen Better Bush Hybrid (hybrids do not offend me). I have grown it before in containers and one plant in the ground a few years ago. I was impressed and absolutely loved its appearance. It always had a dark green foilage, thick hefty stalks , great fruit coverage, medium size tomatoes , most were smooth dark red and perfectly round and a few minor cracks on the shoulders depending on the weather. Had a nice real acid tomato flavor. The plants grew about 4 feet tall. One grew 5 ft tall but that is because it was in a pot in a partially shaded area which caused it to stretch a little. An excellent container tomato.
I will only have to use one stake for each plant..
I wanted to know more about this tomato and I have been searching for information for a couple of days wondering just how much would this better bush produce. I found some info at Bonnie plant info. They say it produces 8 oz tomatoes===I would say 6 to 8 oz. The first on the plant is the biggest and of course as the plant gets bigger, the fruits get smaller. The other information they had is it produced 90 to 120 tomatoes per plant in their own test garden and this was tested in my home state of Alabama. I like this information. It is better than I thought it would be. The Better Bush actually considered Semi-Determinant. It will bear fruit a lot longer than a regular bush type but does not grow long vines like indeterminates. This year I grew a Better Bush in a 10 gallon pot and it had fruit all the way until frost killed the plant. It did slow down during our heat wave summer but gradually picked up production when it started cooling off.

Try it= you might like it.

I only took one picture of the plant this past year and that is when I planted it in the 10 gallon pot. I never thought to take pictures after that and sure wished I did.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Nice plant, Cricket. (Nice to see ya!)

Did you happen to keep count of you fruit quantity to see if it lived up to the "90- 120" fruits Bonnie's mentioned? That sure would be nice, wouldn't it!

Always good to see you posting about your latest adventure.

Shoe

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

No I did not keep up with it.....we were building a house all summer and I just didn't have time for little details this year......Still building but should have more time for garden details this year...
Tomorrow is a great day for sowing tomato seeds. My head is still swimming on decisions.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mercy. I know you've had more'n your share of moving, houses, housefires, building, re-building these past few years. Hang in there, it'll get better.

I hope you get more garden time this coming year. Will be keeping my eye on ya'll!

Shoe

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

yeh,,,,,thats put my life in order....... 9 years ago i moved into a house that is 3 miles from here. I didn't have much land and sun shine so I moved here 6 years ago.....still own the house. Moved into a mobile home and set up the greenhouse business. Built onto the mobile home all the way down the back side and built decks sky high on the front.......May 2010 the home burned. still bothers me. then i bought another mobile home but it didnt feel like home so in Feb 2011, I sold it and moved into a 12x24 shed which is suppose to be used for greenhouse storage. Been building the house ever since.....and living in it.......LOL i was living it before the walls went up or the second story roof........i am freaking nuts.

So= anyway===during it all, I keep on growing those tomatoes.

I drug out the desk top computer cause i am having issues with flash player crashing on the laptop......... found some Better Bush pictures.

growing in 10 gallon pot with a cage............still wondering if i can grow one successfully in a 4 gallon or a 5 gallon......

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

another

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

2nd picture up===i counted 6 clusters of blooms at the top of the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.