More Summer Brugmansia in Australia-3

West of Brisbane, Australia

From below: BB top, GB#2 bottom.
Not really the fairest of comparisons because the GB#2 bloom is almost finished, and so is as dark as it will get in warm weather, while the BB bloom has just opened.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

As I'd already cut off the GB#2 bloom, I thought I might as well compare it with something else.
Here it is (left) with the aurea seedling (right). I'm really going to have to find that label so I can stop calling it 'aurea seedling'!
This is a fair comparison because both blooms are about the same age (i.e. almost spent). The aurea seedling has a prettier shape.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I already had one cut bloom for comparison ... You know where this is leading, right LOL
I added Bucks Fizz to the mix. So there are aurea seedling blooms at extreme left and right with Bucks Fizz (2nd from left) and Golden Butter#2 between them.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

But wait--there's more!
I've added Musketeer, second from left.
Enough for now I think :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

The extreme Aurea range ^_^

One more, actually.
AztecGold 2009#2 2009#3. There's a tinge of yellow on this just unfurled bloom. Will have to see how it develops over the next few days.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Clifton Springs, Australia

cestrum as soon as I saw your suaveolens, I immediately thought, what a great match for Chrissy's Star Dancer seedlings....
That is a very pretty flower.....

BB is a beauty isn't it.....some promising BB babies would be showing up soon..I imagine.

I am hoping that the lemon suav cutting that I took yesterday (how could I resist, Chrissy)..such a pretty lemon in the open and shade, takes for me...I haven't anything like it...
Angioletto is the nearest to lemon that I have and that goes white in summer...
Lucas, I didn't take a cutting of the Aurea, if you saw it, you would see that it is very much like the ones we have...and I have GHA and my Macedon....

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Cestrum that is friggen great to see comparisons of those varieties
the colors are bright also all of your blooms are very alluring
not always a great idea taking flowers of but i also have done this is in the past

befor i started here these were named from left to right
suaveolens, versicolor & DRC

now im not sure about the middle 1 but i am sure that left is suaveolens
right i KNOW is DRC

Thumbnail by SolMan
Merino, Australia

cestrum, that pic of yours is a good example of why I love the aureas. They look at you and dont hang their head like shy little misses.
One needs the hanging burgs to grow into trees so you can stand under them to appreciate the blooms . Hopefully some of min ewill evenentually do that. Some are way above my head now but still have to grow large canopies.
Chrissy, I will be keeping all my favorites down in the fern house in winter.
I am going to cut all the ones that have flowered right down so they can hibernate.
I will be planting all the tops as single plants with the above Y branches trimmed. This should give me a row of semi standards.
I am hoping then that the original bases will have multi shoots and be bushier.
I will leave the few in the most sheltered spot to grow into tall trees.
A little more rain here so the plants are feeling good,
Jean.

Victoria, Australia

I thought versicolor had an exceptionally short calyx exposing the narrow base of the corolla?
as in

http://www.pbase.com/chefziggy/image/49211132/original.jpg
http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/05/8/8764.jpg

if so your plant may be a candida?

Shaun, that middle one does look like Old Apricot--I assume it's actually apricot?
Mine--the only brug I've ever bought at a standard nursery, and it was in Melb--was sold as 'versicolor apricot' (or it might have been versi peach), and other people have obtained theirs under various names too, including 'Grand Marnier'. From memory, if the narrowest part of the corolla is fully exposed then it's a versicolor. Here, this is what Alistair said:
The distinguishing flower character is that the corolla neck (the narrowest bit of the corolla tube) extends beyond the mouth of the calyx, which is slit on one side. The "old apricot" (back left in the pic) has the calyx slightly exceeding the corolla neck.

Added: Here's his message: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7287623

This message was edited Jan 8, 2012 1:33 PM

Shaun your Versicolor is a hybrid not pure ...a nice one.
Here is a pure Versicolor Peach.

Thumbnail by

And here's a great photo from Chrissy showing a direct comparison: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7471314

well once again you have saved me and helped me with names and info
Cestrum & Lucas both very helpful People
Thank you again

cestrum i think it was bought as a versicolor and i dont remember the variety either a peach or Apricot which 1 I dont know

Can you see the exposed neck and the curve beneath which is called in Brug speak "the hips"

yes i can see the neck & hip ( the flower id slightly green then gets larger is the HIP yes?)

i will learn this

Chrissy's photo showing the two together is so useful; that's why I've kept it :-)
BTW Chrissy, have you bred from your versicolor peach?

This is a useful website that I should refer to more often: http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm

Yes if you think of the neck as a waistline and the curve of the hips below instead of a straight out funnel shape.

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/423-versicolor-peach/
A few good examples in there.

Jean I am sure your great displays will come in the Autumn, you sound like you have it all worked out ...it will be fantastic.

More on my white suaveolens.
Here it is, in the hot sun today.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And here it is, opened up.
It would flare open itself at dusk.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Fully open, again. It doesn't need pegs to force it open now because, in the couple of minutes since I've picked it, the corolla has begun to collapse.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I have just been back to the place where i found all those Bruggies,
I gave her 2 plants and a not with the 2 websites on it BGI & Daves, i also asked here about her interest. Susan is her name susan's reply My X husbands family were in to the plants and im not i have no interest in them other them how pretty the flowers are.

I also asked if it were ok to come back some time in the future to collect Mayan Magic seed pods Susan said that was OK but her Husband would not like straing men walking around the year <
shaun: so i should come & knock on the door is that OK
Susan: yes that is fine

Thumbnail by SolMan

and here

Thumbnail by SolMan

6 point alert ! lovely :)

also see if it cant be ID in 1 way or another by you guys????

Thumbnail by SolMan

love how you used pegs to show us the 6 points there Cestrum
Very pretty Indeed

Didn't notice it was a six-pointer; just grabbed the nearest bloom. Too hot to stay long outside.
Great find, there. Hope someone can ID it.
Where were all these wonderful brugs when I lived in Melb? I only ever say knightii, plus my own Old Apricot.

I think that last pic is Pink Panther, a bit hard to tell.
I have to tell you I hate seeing these poor little albinos shrivel up and die shaun, feels cruel.
Don't scare that poor lady, Shaun, I would feel nervous if some stranger wanted to poke around my garden twice in a week, don't forget she would not understand the obsession.Her hubby may own a Baseball bat or something.

the 6 pointer alert was cestrums Suaveolens.

Chrissy looking at BGI gallery it dose look like Pink Panther i also thought that while i was taking the pic for some unusual reason and i have never flowered Pink Panther but bes worry about that when it flowers proper

the aurea in this garden was very fragrant today it was like Gardenia very luscious

Thumbnail by SolMan

the 2 flowers were both horizontal to upright

Thumbnail by SolMan
Clifton Springs, Australia

Chrissy, I'd bet that it's Pink Panther....I can almost see the fuzz on the corolla....
Here's a similar pic to compare...
This one is probably a day younger Shaun, it hasn't coloured up as much......PP is without doubt one of the very best.

cestrum what an indignity, you could have at least used wooden pegs...lol

This message was edited Jan 8, 2012 5:26 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Storm here ...turning off the puter

So Pink Panther is hiding out in the suburbs :-)
Found this just now on the white suaveolens--the corolla is actually divided. But I've never seen it before although, admittedly, I've never looked for it.
Still, seems highly unusual.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Cestrum that is the prettiest suaveolens that iv seen
is it a cross from OS or something breed here ?????
dose it have a fragrance?????????
once again WOW

Maybe it's a sport. Maybe Star Dancer is a sport, there is no history I can track of it.
Watch that branch carefully ...watch the flowers that come off it.

I think this is very interesting re Star Dancer
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1058258/

Here is the gardener is growing Star Dancer from a cutting given to her by the gardener I obtained my Star Dancer seeds from.
Interestingly there are variations in the blooms. It's a lovely thing.

Still wondering about yours cestrum, is it possible a branch has sported?
Can you remember where you got it from ? the plant I mean.
After watching all the different things happening in the sport department, is it possible that the blooms may sport too ?

It's the only bloom on the branch with split petals--this other bloom is growing right beside it, yet normal petals. I've occasionally seen a bloom with only one split petal, but that looks as if it might have been damaged by snails before it unfurled. I do think this is a one-off--like getting the occasional 8-pointed bloom--and not a sport or something that can be replicated.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Side view.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.