More Summer Brugmansia in Australia-3

Clifton Springs, Australia

Welcome to the 3rd part of our Summer Brugmansia topic....so many great posts and pics have been put on these threads....
I put this pic of Ivoire on because I hadn't used it before...it shows how yellow it is before it changes to it's beautiful cream.
Now that Gena, Lucas and Shaun have joined us, we can look forward to a very busy year.
Good luck to all of us in our endeavours.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

We came from here..http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1234998/
It won't highlight again.

Chrissy mentioned on the previous thread that Angioletto looks very different season to season...
Have a look at the difference.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

I'm sad to say that the buds fell of Aztec Gold and my Opale Etoile,yesterday.
After the heat a few days ago, I am surprised to see any still hanging on.
Clementine still has some large buds , so I will get to see her in flower at last.
Quite a few leaves falling off now and I can see the heat damage from that awful hot wind. Not as bad as it first looked, but poor little Tantra doesnt look her best. I have moved her so she wont get so much next time. The darn spider mites are sneaking in again.
BB seems to be the preferred target as is arborea. I bought a new tin of white oil so will get out this morning and attack them. I alternate the white oil with my eucalyptus oil/ water spray.
Chrissy, your seeds are just about all up and Colleen, yours are starting, 2 are up.
I will be moving more of the seedlings from the greenhouse today. Hubby thinks its funny as I tell him I am moving babies or teenagers around.
More of the epis are going to go out and hang along a fence next to the fernery under the eucalypt there. That gives me nearly all the bench space in the shadehouse for the brugs as they grow.
Its like a production line here.
Seeds in the mini greenhouse, then out into the larger greenhouse, then down to the shadehouse, then out to wherever I can fit them.
Better get myself out to the brug factory..lol
Jean.

Yes so different in Summer ...in the Winter here it remains lemon sorbet and it's tendrils remain up flung then in Summer it is pure white and the tendrils tend to curl on the second or third day ...the side view is pretty in Summer rather than the face view , but it's a sweet little bloom.

We came from here everyone ^_^
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1234998/
Dianne is the first picture Ivoire ? or some other spectacular bloom, some of the buds are sooo spectacular aren't they.

Yes Chrissy it is Ivoire.

For the Sphaero growers who have floppy plants..this from Michael Graupe , hybridiser of the Sang x Strybing Vulsa seeds.

I think that there are several ways you can grow them. Just tying them to a solid 6ft stake will solve the problem and probably give you flowers quickest. This is what I normally do.
If you let the plant lean or lie down, it will produce one or several strong new shoots from close to the base.
These shoots will probably stay upright much longer but wind or rain may bend them down again, so I would recommend staking anyway.
If you don't stake, you will get a wide bush from all the shoots which will eventually become a tangled mess.
Do not pinch out the top! This would set the plant back and prevent Y formation for a long time.
They take their time to flower anyway.

Thanks again Michael.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 9:02 AM

Lol Jean yes that is what happens when you fall for Brugs, one is never enough and you can never have too many ...I no longer have a garden either it is a Brug Assembly line ^_^ ...only I don't have shade houses, I rigged up some plastic net in the cottage area because of the Hail, I don't use shade cloth at all because I want the Angels to get used to the harsh Aussie conditions, I do feel like a cruel Brug grower at times because some of these darlings do need shade to give of their best but I figure the coming generations might toughen up. I do have some in a more sheltered area but they cop the wind so it all equals out.

So sorry your buds dropped off Jean, I have had lots ruined from too much rain and no sun ...they will come back when they are happy.
I am so happy the seeds have popped up ...mine all grew like weed seeds.

I happily have found after the big storm last night, the dud is starting to sort itself out ...it has been far too cold and far too wet, bug attacked and I forgot to pinch the ends of the Calyx to let the water out, still two days of sun and she is vastly improving in the new buds, no insect attacks, no yellowing off etc. If only we could have some sun I think she could be quite pretty, I do love the Earth Angel crosses.

Thumbnail by

Oh Dianne Stunning buds ...love it !

here is the dud ...becoming less of a dud

Thumbnail by

Gotta love the tendrils !!! on the next dud bloom of mine

Dianne you need to show that lovely picture off at BGI, I think they will swoon ^_^
Time to name Ivoire ...very beautiful ! Once again Congratulations !

Thumbnail by

Loving that colour...
Chrissy are those tendrils showing pink or is it an optical illusion?.....

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 9:12 AM

It is a brighter prettier pink than the picture shows and yes the tendrils are pink as they wave around ...so far I have found all the Earth Angel crosses do that. I am very fond of them, I was so sad when "the dud " looked like a failure, but I think it may come good after all. Fingers crossed anyway.
What I like is the tendrils are in tact after the storm, that means it is a strong texture. Usually the tendrils are the first thing to get cooked or bashed off.
All the Earth Angel ones are good tendrils. So far anyway.
This is the same cross Earth Angel x Pink Smitty

Thumbnail by

This is a sibling also

Thumbnail by

Sorry Dianne I reread your lovely opening and realized you said it was Ivoire, I was awestruck with the picture your words didn't sink in, sad case aren't I. I get so excited over the lovely pictures my brain does not always absorb the info.

Yes it is lovely to have Shaun and Gena with us, and also to have Cestrum able to join us again.
2012 is already feeling great.
Can't believe I have been blathering about Angel's Trumpets for 5 years ...whew!

Merino, Australia

Chrissy, I only keep the teenagers in the shadehouse. Once they get to around 2-3'high. they have to go out to make room for the next gang.
When we get summer sun here is it usually very dry , not humid like you further north are more likely to have. The babies would be crispy toast outside.
Dont worry, I am not a pamperer of plants. They have to survive once out in the big world in all weather. I am fast running out of sheltered areas out of the wind . Maybe I'll have hubby move the house over a bit ...lol..
Jean.

My teens and babies all gather on and under the rail bannisters on the verandah under the eves, then at 1ft out they go (trying to put them on the right side of bigger plants for shelter ...when my brother was here everything had to stay quite close to the home, so I could run in in a hurry if needed so things are sort of squashed into the immediate home area. It isn't ideal but it works.
Once I move it will be different ...the best plants will go into a nice space planted in the ground and there will be room to stand back and take a full picture of a happy non jostled brug.
Right now they all rub leaves ^_^ ...I have been out planting again, I might need a road train to shift the stuff in two years !
That new pink is so pretty, the colour of Fairy Floss !

West of Brisbane, Australia

I don't think any of those Earth Angel crosses are duds; just need a little time to settle down.
Here's Seuss#1 this morning, very pale.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Very pale, as I said, but you can just see a tinge of a darker colour on the hem of the skirt.
Added: Yes, it's pale but not THIS pale. The subtle colour is hard to photograph.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 11:53 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here it is with Aztec Gold on the left. They're very similar; the seedling is larger than the pod parent (my Dr Seuss X) but smaller than Aztec Gold.
I assumed that Golden Butter was the pollen donor but, looking at this pic, it could easily be Aztec Gold instead.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seuss#1 (i.e. the seedling) top; Aztec Gold bottom.
The seedling has lost the delicate, sharply defined shape of its pod parent (Dr Seuss X) but has gained an aurea scent.
As I said, a stepping-stone seedling to something better down the track ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's the aurea seedling this morning. It's turned apricot!
Have yet to dig out the label but I assume one parent is Golden Butter because of the aurea scent but the apricot hue suggests that Old Apricot is the other parent.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Actually, the colour is not actually apricot. It's some sort of mix of apricot/coral/orange.
Reminds me of Golden Butter#2 which opened this colour initially, and in cooler weather, but is now clear yellow in the heat.
Of course, the plant probably doesn't know what it is yet either :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here is Golden Butter#2 a few days ago, showing its clear yellow summer colour.
But it was almost orange earlier on.
I suspect my aurea seedling will be similar.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Very pretty cestrum. I do like the idea of gaining more of the aurea perfume.
Jean.

I had a lot of Aztec Gold and Golden Butter crosses in the early years. (The 'early years' being only about three or so years ago!) I think Brian got the bulk of the AG crosses, although there should be quite a few of the GB crosses out there too.

Just had a thought: everyone who's received one of my Dr Seuss X crosses, either directly from me or more likely via Chrissy, should change the name to Dr Seuss X, as we've established that it's not the real doctor.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 12:06 PM

Merino, Australia

None of your GB or DR S seeds here cestrum , but if you happen to lean on your Golden Butter and a piece breaks off, dont toss it out, send it down here.
Which are the parents of GB. ?

I see on the ABADS list Dr Seuss was discovered in the wild, but on the other list I have ( I think from BGI) it has Butterfly as pollen parent.
I am wondering if they mean a real butterfly or the brug Butterfly..
If it was discovered in the wild, noone would know the parents.

Jean.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 1:19 PM

Both very nice ...which one do you like best ?
Hard to pick favourites when they are your own isn't it ?

Yes, I know Jean LOL But you're a couple of years too late: I tossed a whole lot of GB branches out when I moved the plant out of its prime spot to the middle of the murraya hedge. (Nobody was keen on it, and those few who were already had a piece.) Where it's flowered finally after a year but virtually not grown at all. Sometime down the track there's sure to be some new growth to prune off. (I don't know who GB's parents are.)

No real favourites among the seedlings, Chrissy; I'm just curious to see each one as it changes thru the seasons. And even more curious to see what the next gen of seedlings will be like. That's when it will really start getting interesting ...

Merino, Australia

Cestrum, I was just looking at GB on BGI and I have a pic of GHA from autumn 2009 which you would take for an identical twin. Heres my pic, compare it to GB on BGI.
Must be kissing cousins.
Looks like I dont need GB at all.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Jean I had them them bloom at the same time here and to my eyes they seemed very similar but the size, tone of coppery orange and the fragrance were slightly different. GB was a touch larger, and the fragrance slightly less than GHA but almost the same. (I could be wrong ) it just may have been different on the day.

Cairns, Australia

this is, big y now flowering.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

That's quite some show you have there Gena ...Lovely !

GB, GHA and BB are three different brugs according to Alistair: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8648298
Whether you think they're different enough to have all three is a matter of personal opinion. I have only GB because I don't feel I need others that appear to be so much like it. Mind you, I've also got seeds of BB and GHA crosses, which I'm happy to grow out in the same way I'm happy to grow out GB crosses as I reckon any of these aurea crosses are likely to yield some interesting seedlings.

Here's the aurea seedling now. It's more orange, very similar to the early blooms on GB#2. No chance of pollination though, because it's hot and windy with a hot stretch predicted. And there's a storm on the way too, so time to unplug the PC.

Pretty blooms, Gena. Wish I knew what it was ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Hay Guys all looking good and shaun still Jealous of all those pretty Bloom you all have

I have been discussing a new thread dedicated only to Pic's of AUSTRALIAN BREED SEEDLINGS, there will be no comments on this thread other then the person placing the Pic's.....we will still be chatting on Brug Thread as per usual this will only be for new borns

The Name is in the air but THE AUSSIE BRUG BABIES is 1 name and THE AUSSIE BRUG GALLERY could be another

this thread will have to chatter and will only be a Gallery with limited info
2 pic's
Parantage
Who Breed it
When it was breed
first Flowered
??Composted

When i work this out with all members i will then talk with daves admin to try and get the thread to be posted on the top of the Australia Forum
if you have segestions please feel free

Shaun

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 11:03 PM

Cairns, Australia

Hear is the other one.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

closer

Thumbnail by Gena1234
barmera, Australia

Whoo Hoo have just harvested my Mango Kornet X Munchausen pod. There's about 30 seeds. Don't know what's inside as yet but will get back to you. Anyone want some? Colleen

Sorry Shaun ...I went to lay down this arvo because I didn't feel well (bad head cold that has gone to the chest). Just got up now.
That is a good idea ...the only thing is, I didn't in the past write all those details down re the date that my seedlings bloomed etc...it was just dabble dabble. I know the crosses of most, but some were mixed up as I was sent mixed seeds from other people mixed and also threw out a bunch of seeds that I thought were gone, but were still alive and germinated. Some were knocked down by my grand daughter's cats etc. So will those be noids. These sorts of things happen, when what once was a casual hobby turns into an obsession.
This thread would require participation by others, so I would like to see if everyone else is agreeable first ... ^_^ before committing to such a formal thread that some gardeners might find a bit clinical.

I am interested to hear what others have to say on this ^_^

Lovely blooms Gena

Congratulations Colleen.It's a great feeling to harvest a new pod full of potential treasure.

jumping up and down , clapping hands proudly ^_^

Dianne congratulations !!!! you did it ...feels so nice to have a known cultivar up on the data at BGI.
Take a bow !

Ivoire is "known" everyone ! and a beautiful thing it is too !

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 10:31 PM

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Yes Chrissy i also would like to know if every one would be on board with this new Gallery Thread.
Chrissy if there is a plant that has lost all ID and it's a keeper or not but you think that it would be interesting to others to view then by all means add it to the Gallery also

Gena the plant is Hugh & the blooms a darling

Dianne they want pics of Ivoire in the Gallery ^_^ there is a place for it .
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/15-i-j/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.