Winter Interest

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Most of us have some kind of Winter Interest in our yards or homes. Please post a few pictures and tell us about what you enjoy during the winter months. Here is one of my favorite plants.
Italian Arum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1759/
Right now it is looking so pretty, I always look forward to it's return in the winter. It dies back come summer.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a closer look.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is something else that is nice winter interest. I love Amaryllis and forcing other bulbs in the winter months.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

The Arum is way cool. I haven't got my Amaryllis out yet.

I need to get pics.
Red giant Mustard is working well as an ornamental edible. We'll see how much cold it can take. Brr!
Corydalis Lutea put out lots of fresh greenery this fall and is holding on. That looked nice against the brown leaves.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have more Amaryllis to plant I hope to start them soon.
So here is another winter interest for me. I love the look of the bare tree branches against the sun rises and sun sets. Here is this mornings sunrise.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Before all this cold...
a month and 1/2 earlier this year than last

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Large leaves on the cyclamen

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Even a Lamium was blooming in the fairy garden!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

For true winter interest I really would like some Red twig dogwood, witch hazel, winter honeysuckle and a daphne...on my list

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have cyclamen envy.. I have tried them a couple of times but haven't been able to get them to grow.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They pop up when least expected

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Geez-----I would love to contribute to this Thread---but all I could offer is that my Wintersweet Shrub
is in full bloom after all these warm days.
I have already posted it all over thew place--but will do so again here.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

IF indoor plants thriving counts--here are all my Brug cuttings going bonkers..

I have also posted this on some Thread....SO! Being redundant......

Here are mu 20-some pots of brug cuttings going to town.
I sure hope some of you will want some of these at the swaps!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

I have Dr. Seuss ans the big NOID, deep pink one.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just, finally, potted up all my Amaryllis bulbs yesterday.
I have nothing to show you---they will bloom in about 6 weeks....

How about a picture of my "dormant" (ahem) Brugs in my dark, cols Shop.....
They are all growing leaves.....Go figure! I don't know how they do this......
Dug up. Roots pruned. Tops cut back and all leaves removed....And--here they go!!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Gita, Indoor plants count. I think you will have plenty of takers for those brugs at the swaps. I'm just wondering how you will transport all those huge plants I can't get over how they have grown. Love the winter sweet.

Nice blooms Jen. I forget my Cyclamen. They ae established butstill a small bunch. Mine are near a maple tree. I haven't taken a plunge into Hellebores.
One of my two kinds of 'wood poppy' has put out some leaves, the other is still dormant..
I have some black Moudry grass for winter interest but its a thug if you let it drop seeds. Also have a fine textured smaller grass, maybe a hare's tail. No reseeding at all with that one. I'll be trying to divide it this spring.

Forgot to say, Holy, you do well with the sunrise, don't you? You just keep on getting up ealry and posting for me , eh? LOL

This message was edited Jan 5, 2012 8:14 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I always say that I like sun sets better because they are at a better time of day. But in the winter I quite often see the sunrise. I think it's because It gets dark so early and I go to bed earlier. I can sit on the couch with the lap top and watch the sun rise thru the sliding glass doors. Sally last year I had a ton of baby Hellebores to give away. I will look for more this spring for you.

THX!

Forgive if this seems self promoting- here's the link to my article about Mahonia- great winter interest shrub
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2097/
(That was easier for me than hunting up the pic again in my computer)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--Holly--Holly-----

You must misunderstand of what i posted....

The rooting Brugmansias are my growing cuttings from last fall.

The picture of the Dormant brugs in my basement are the Mama plants i took the cuttings from.
These are NOT to be shared. They will continue growing in my garden next year.

The ones on the "light rack" are the cuttings. Those I will share....
Kapish??????

Sally---
Do not apologize for self-promoting some info. to one of your articles.....Some other DG writers do nothing but....
I always LOVE your articles--as they are humble, humorous, and full of down-to-Earth information.
That is where I dwell--------Down to Earth.....

I have NO articles to link to--but I hope people still appreciate all the info. and knowledge I have to share....
ALL my informational writings are saved either in my brain---or in My Documents and can be had by anyone--if they ask....

Gita

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have that black grass...forgot all about it...thought it was called "mondo"

Very unusual shrub

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Gita, Yes, I see. No wonder I was wondering how they got that big. LOL
Sally, self promoting. LOL
I have a nice but small Mahonia that I will post a pic of later. I remember years ago when you posted a pic of yours and I asked what is that great plant? How our gardens reflect the threads and friends here at DG.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

I sure hope you woud like to have several Brugs from my awesome growing ones....

I would advertise to sell them--but I do not want to deal with all the packaging and he mailing...

I checked E-bay--and people are selling Brugs there for $15-$20!!! i COULD IF i ONLY WANTED TO...
Hey! $15 plus about $7 or $8 for shipping---NOT bad!!!!

I just don't know the best place to advertise....
Craig's List would be OK--as they can be local. BUT--every time I have advertised something on Craig's List---
there are some goofballs spamming my add. And--I am stupid enough to answer them......

I DO want to get all these Brug cuttings off to a good home before I need the lights for growing my seeds,,,,

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would love one this spring Gita. That won't do you much good with your space issue right now though. I have not done well with overwintering them in the past. But I would love to try again.

Another winter interest I did recently. I brought three real cattail heads from the drainage pond, and stuck them in my garden outside the window. Its sorta fun to watch them slowly fuzz out and blow away.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

I have a very detailed Primer i wrote on Brugmansia Seasonal care.

If you D-mail me your e-mail address--I will be glad to send it to you.
It should alleviate your fears on letting Brugs go dormant.....NO biggie!!!

As you can see in the above picture--they are faring quite well in the basement....
Better than I would want them to.....all those leaves growing.........Sometimes--if they were in bloom bud
when I cut them back--they will actually bloom in their dormancy.....

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Will do.

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is a picture of my pink Camelia that's blooming right now , My lenten roses are also all in bloom or budding.

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice!
Forgot to mention the False cypress
It's def a standout of dreary days

ok really bizarre, thought I had a more recent pic but I don't
will try to get one when it's not raining

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

flowajen, do you have a golden false cypress? They're just gorgeous! I'm looking forward to your pictures!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, here it is when I first bought it

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Hardy greens are making my veg garden more 'interesting' these days. I picked a big bowl of red giiant mustard yesterday, plus a bit of Komatsuna and a stray crowded baby Brussels sprout plant got chopped up in the pot too. Most of the mustard is in my south facing thus zone 8 bed. It was delicious, and it is a very pretty leaf in the garden. More mustard and some other asian greens are in zone 7 beds are a bit tattered or damaged by that freak 14 degree low we had. But they could easily be helped through a normal winter. None of the plants were killed by even that freeze.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, love the 4 season veggie growing without a greenhouse...

Jen, love the gold false cypress. Can't wait to see pic of it in your garden.

Just wanted to stop by and remind everyone that even though it is officially winter that ticks are still active! I found one on me after mulching and a little clean up outside. Because my usual vigilence and checking was "down" this one bit and embedded before I found it. No bulls eye but who knows.

Orchidfancy, stop by and post a pic of your Camellia on our Camellia thread, here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226846/

Interesting which trees and shrubs have been triggered or misled into early bloom by the roller coaster weather this winter. Forsythia---no. Flowering quince---yes.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That Camelia really is beautiful. I see a lot of unusual growth in my garden because of the warmer weather. Think I will get out and take a few more pictures.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Me too---My bulbs are coming up. Daffs, I think.....Some are about 3" already.

I do know, if we get a frost, it won't hurt the still-tight foliage. It WOULD hurt any blooms that popped....

G.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Got this new Amaryllis bulb last year and it produced 11 flowers on 2 stalks over a 4-week period. Most satisfying! The bulb, however, has shrunk from about 5" to less than 3".

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 12:49 PM

Thumbnail by donnerville
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---
I just wore itself out--and it'd "ego" got deflated....teee..heee......Gita

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, Gita. I will feed it through the summer to see if I can get it to bloom again.

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

my oncydium Rogersii is blooming faithfully..... I am waiting for the other orchids to open they are all in spikes....

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

just beautiful. My orchids are struggling along.

wow orchids!
I have a spike on my Phalenopsis, or is it my Dendrobium...my first that I bought last spring. Its grown well!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.