Clematis chat for 2012 - Happy New Year!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You have my wishes for a bright future, with or without the clematises. The clematises in pots can be survivors just as you can be (and I have been).

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am trying to hold back too. We still have at least 2 months till anything can ship. I have time to dream.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Order now, choose your shipping date for later. Desperate gardeners need a winter fix ;-)

All jokes aside, while I was on Brushwood's site doing my order, I noted that a few of the clematis were already not available, but they'll send notification once it becomes available. I waited since last spring for Liberation, and only got notification in December that I could order it. I'm all about getting my order in so that I get the plants I really want.

You're wise to have done it already, Annette.

Marie and I seem to be waiting it out this time. I'm growing very short on room for more and already have spots with two or three (and one spot with nine) clematises.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have that same issue Pirl but for some reason cannot seem to get it that I am running out of room!! A few of the ones I ordered are not climbers so it will make them easier to place.

It's definitely a problem and keeps me from looking and being unduly tempted. I have considered Bijou and Filigree but then I feel I might as well order more to justify the shipping: such a dilemma!

I'm so curious about all the clematises you've bought, DD, but have to remain busy with other projects...for a while.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I am sure you will have fun looking them up and will see a recurring theme with my choices.

Thomaston, CT

I'm waiting to see what clems need replacing, as I'm also running out of room......Last year I planted 2... Blue Light & cannot remember the other....against the fence facing my neighbor's house.....then I realized she's the only one getting the view of them!

Oh no!

Louisville, KY

I have the same problem with the clems on my South Fence and part of my west fence.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, I should have thought about it....the whole garden faces the neighbor's house, but I had to do it....the area was filled with stumps from hemlocks that had been removed, barberry, wild blackberry vines, goldenrod, & loads of poison ivy....had another neighbor come in, remove everything, put in new soil....now I have the area planted with roses, iris, daylilies....and the 2 clems....

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I was pulled in and ordered these last fall from Brushwood.:
Josies Midnight Blue
Luxuriant Blue
Diamantina
Star of India
Romantika
Kiri Te Kanawa
BUT, no more for me! I really have to reevaluate which clems did not make it from last year's brutal summer. I lost 3 that I know of already.
Sbreeze: I grow quite a few in pots. I sometimes grow a small annual in the pot to be my reminder to water in winter.
Robindog: aren't those clems ungrateful! :) Maybe your neighbor will reward you with something that will grow over on your side.
DD: Without looking up your choices, I am guessing that blue is a theme!

Thomaston, CT

I wish! No, my neighbor is elderly & ill, so no gardening there....today I saw 'I Am Red Robin'...it's tempting me!

Lindenhurst, NY

HI Pirl - Best Wishes to you for a Happy New year ahead.
I haven't been on in a few months -- my subscription ended and i didn't renew.
I just bought 4 clems from Silver Star so i wanted to come read up on some here.

I've been stuck in the house all day with the snow - it's 6:00 pm and i'm still in my pj's....lol

How is everything with you? How many clematis do you grow?
I probably have about ten.
I hope to have 20 by summer time:-)

Hi Maureen! Nice to have you back with us. You do make me feel good when you mentioned PJ's and 6 PM though I aim for 10 AM. It doesn't always work. All is well here and I hope you are still happy with your job.

Now I have about 85 clematises and I've been trying to give them all some bone meal and manure during the nice days of winter but still have a long way to go.

Hang around and we'll tempt you with photos to add to your collection.

Lindenhurst, NY

HI Pirl - 85 clematises, wow.
Pls tell me what will grow well on a 4' chain link fence. It's inbetween me and my neighbors back yard and there are plants/flowers there. I was thinking of Rogucchi but i hear it gets mildew??

I really want Betty Corning but i dont think she would be good on a 4' fence - even though it can go 20-30 ft sideways?

Jobs ok, waiting on a promotion end of month...yay.

Sounds good, right? Some flower much more than others and they are spread out in all the gardens so it's not a huge impact.

If you really want Betty Corning go and buy it! You can train the stems to go right and left - no problem. Which clem's did you buy from Silver Star?

That's great news! I hope you get it!

Lindenhurst, NY

HI - the ones I bought are:

Nigritank..forgot the rest of the spelling.
Jackmannii
Marie Bois....forgot the spelling
Huldine

How does Dutchess of Albany do for you? Does it get mildew?

None of mine have ever gotten mildew though monarda always does and often the David phlox does. We do get strong northwest winds here so that prevents a lot of mildew that might otherwise occur.

You made good choices. I have Jackmanii (a few) and Huldine.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lindenhurst, NY

That's good to hear. I've heard a lot of people say their rougucci got mildew so i was afraid to buy it.
What is the pic of? Is that the dutchess of albany ?

It is the Duchess of Albany. I also have a few of the Duchess of Edinburgh and enjoy the way it begins blooming with so much green in the coloring and then goes to white. Attached is a photo of it.

I've only had Rooguchi since late October and haven't seen it bloom. Here's the Plant File page on Rooguchi:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/77519/

No one there mentions any mildew problem with it. Do you have a mildew problem with other plants?

Carolyn has it and I hope she drops in here to comment on her experiences with it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Good morning! I am here!

Maureen - I have both Rooguchi and Betty Corning. I love them both and they both flower longer than my other clematis with Rooguchi outlasting BC. I have always been partial to the nodding bell shaped clematis, but these two are my favorites. Bear in mind that Rooguchi is an integrifolia and BC is a climber - I have Rooguchi climbing up my privacy fence without having to tie him very much.

One thing I have found with clematis is they will train where you want them to go. I have a Ville de Lyon that grows sidewise on a 3 ft decorative fence at the very back of my property that connects to an arch. VDL covers my fencing in no time every summer and grows beautifully sidewise. So, I would definitely order Rooguchi for your fence!

I also have Nagritianka, Jackmanii and Huldine - I think you will be thrilled with them as those as they are good hardy selections. I am familiar with Marie B. She has such lovely blooms and she is one that I have seen in others photos and covet for my own garden.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Thanks for posting that gorgeous photo of Rooguchi, Carolyn.

Lindenhurst, NY

HI Pirl and Carolyn. Thank you both so much for your comments, i really appreciate it - and the pics are great.
I will definitely be adding Rooguchi and BC to my order.

Carolyn - how many do you grow? And which are your favorites?

Athens, PA

Maureen

Every time I think I have a favorite, I find another one blooming that is my new favorite - I don't know if I could choose just one or two.

I am on a 1/5 of an acre and I have 44 clematis, so they are pretty well crammed in here and there. I keep telling hubby I need more land!

Here is Negritianka (sp?) with Pagoda. I think you will love the dusky deep purple of Negritianka as much as I. The color is set off so nicely with the pale pink of Pagoda. Were you going to have Negritainka by herself or combined with another?

This message was edited Jan 22, 2012 12:16 PM

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Lindenhurst, NY

Lovely pic. I would love to pair it with something, just not sure what.

do you think Negrit. will go good with Betty Corning?

I was going to pair Jackmanii with Huldine. I'm not sure what to put with Negrit.

Athens, PA

I think BC will look great with Neg. I have my BC with Perle d'Azure and I like the color contrast. I also think Huldine will look great with the purple of Jackmanii - I think Huldine blooms a bit later than Jack, but I am not positive about that - somebody else may be more knowledgeable on that than I.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Lindenhurst, NY

Thanks Carolyn. I love Perle D'azure! It's on my list. Your pic above is really pretty.

I hope Huldine and Jackmanii bloom at the same time - other wise i will have to pair with something else. I want to see the combo blooms:-)

Come on over to our new thread and explore combinations to encourage us to buy more!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1238901/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.