Clematis chat for 2012 - Happy New Year!

Athens, PA

John -

I have looked at Sooner plant farm - $50 in shipping ? What did you order? Perhaps a full sized Elm Tree?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

here is another I found although I do not know anything about them
http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Weeping+Double+Red+Flowering+Peach+Tree?category=280

(Zone 7a)

I have to jump in here...

I was going to say, "Do not order from Willis. There are more negative reviews in Garden Watchdog than positive ones." But I think I will let the postings speak for themselves.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6348/

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

The biggest complaint I have about most of these mail order places is that they charge you the price of a full grown plant, but what you get is only a few inches tall.

I bought a shrub last spring that came in as a twig with leaves and paid the price of a full grown bush, that I could have gotten at a local nursery. It will take it 2 years to become a real bush. One they sent did grow and bloom nice, but the hydrangea only grew a little.

I told them that I thought the price was too high and that I would not order another shrub from them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow! I never looked at Willis and now there's no need to look at their site.

Good move, Marie. Now let's hope they listened to you and will do better in the future.

I've never ordered trees by mail and only bought a few shrubs that were all fine.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I spend as much time researching a website as I do choosing which plants to buy.
The old addage "you get what you pay for" really applies in some cases.
I wouldnt trust a site that doesnt say how big the container is or give hardly any info as to how big the plant is.
This doesnt just apply to shrubs and trees ( which I buy local ) but perennials. The really good providers will give details as to what you will get.
I always check Garden Watchdog when dealing with a new vendor.
Some vendors have half the responses as negs. how they stay in business is beyond me.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Celia. Like I said I knew nothing about them and now Iknow why!!

Louisville, KY

I think you have to keep up to date on various suppliers. I grow many many plants from seed. Over my lifetime I have seen companies who use to develop their own seeds become more and more just marketers.
For the first time I placed a seed order with an English seed supplier who collects seed from their own stock.

(Zone 7a)

You're very welcome. I found Dave's through GW and I, too, won't make a purchase without checking it first.

Time, what's the name of the company?

Louisville, KY

www.plant-world-seeds.com

Louisville, KY

Pirl you will love Fugi.... I do think you should buy one ...or two...or three lol

You're so bad, John! Actually I'm very tempted to buy Arabella since people are saying on another thread that it truly does bloom all summer.

Thomaston, CT

That's something I'd love....

Here's the Plant Files page on Arabella. Please note the first comment on the plant by nancybrataas: she bought 120 of them!!!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/91183/

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Has anyone grown clematis Andromeda, and did you like it?

Louisville, KY

I havent grown it but I have looked at it a lot.

Same here. I was going to pair it with Liberation until I decided to use my extra (layered) Duchess of Albany.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

clematis Andromeda is not one I have considered before. I have no clue why it is really pretty!

For those who haven't seen it, here's Shirley1md's photo of Andromeda:

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Oh, dear, I shouldn't have looked ...it's lovely!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

pirl..wow such pretty clems.....Duchess was one of my first clems, just love it. Andromeda is such a pretty combo also. Ohhhh gosh too many to choose from!!! Show us more insitu photos, lol. Just love 'em. Oh ya, I agree on the other subject, sometimes I'm glad I'm not married, I can make my garden my way and where I want it. Lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Notice: this is not my photo but taken from some online source.

Kathy - you said you loved in situ photos but I couldn't resist this one. It's probably a rose on a trellis, from both sides, but I'd love to use the idea for two montana Grandiflora clem's.

In November 2010, when I had my helper Neri, we expanded one garden about 20' and now it's Jack's favorite spot.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice pictures pirl. I can't wait to see Liberation bloom here.

wwk, I've been married, and I still rule in the yard, but the DH loves to take some credit for all the beauty that comes from my hard work LOL. He used to help out more but since having a right knee replacement, he's not so much into it anymore. I now also use my DS for helping with the heavy lifting.

BTW, I placed another order with Brushwood last night. I'll post the list of my new order later. I'm excited to hear that Arabella blooms all summer in to the fall. I need some persistent blooms after the peonies, lilies, and other clematis get done blooming. Any more ideas about clems or other plants that will bloom all summer in to fall? Annette

Definitely DAHLIAS!

Don't forget caladiums! Bill just put up his ad on his caladium sale so here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1237032/ 15% off for DG people - use the promo code and don't delay as offer expires Feb. 12.

Even during our horrid heat wave last July/August the caladiums performed so well.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2012 2:16 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Quote from pirl :
Definitely DAHLIAS!

This message was edited Jan 13, 2012 2:16 PM

I totally agree!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Annette..LOL. Good going girl, lol. Ya, more men need to be trained, and I mean that in a good way.

Cem...got ideas on other plants, tell me what your looking for, (height, color, sun or shade, zone).

Pirl.. love that arch, will be building another this spring, but mine will be out of rebar. And wouldn't ya just love to have a rose like that, wow. Guess I'll have to save it for clems and other vines. Am thinking I'll put those sweet autumn clems on one arch, not sure about the other as I have scads of vines to choose from in my stash. Just love clem montanas, just not sure how hardy in z5 since many books say z6, recta purpurea sound pretty and has fragrance. Anyone growing this one?

Pix is veronica spicata sight seeing blue at 28" and blooms all summer.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Thomaston, CT

Love that veronica...it's a great height, most are smaller.....

Louisville, KY

One side of an arch with rose Autumn Sunset in bloom

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

Same arch when rose New Dawn in bloom on the other side.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle

I have that same trellis timeinabotle, but mine i have so you can walk through it and clems on each side. One clem does real well because it is the oldest, but the other side is slow getting big. I was thinking of doing a rose on it also, can you help me choose a good climbing rose? Here is my trellis, as you an see the oldest clem on the left is so strong, but the one on the right which is two years old, does not do that well.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Louisville, KY

Marie You have a beautiful garden.

If I had it to do over I wouldn"t mix the roses with the clems on the trellis. The roses tend to crow out the clems.

The climbing Roses I have had most success with are Soaring Spirits, Improved Blaze and of course New Dawn and Autumn Sunset.

John

Have you tried 'Iceberg', John? A friend has it and just loves it.

Thanks John, I wont do that then. I will keep my patience and wait for the montana that I moved there to take over.
But I have another trellis that I need a rose on, do these roses grow fast or are they very slow growers?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm loving the trellises and garden art posted here. Y'all are giving me more ideas about how to enhance my gates that to lead into the backyard.

wwk, I'm open to suggestions for plants all shapes and sizes, and they also have to be heat tolerant, we get into the 90's here from the end of May to August.

I love Dahlias. I used to grow them at my last home. I planted 6 tubers of Dahlia Mom's Special from one of our local nurseries last summer in one of the back beds, but something kept eating down the plants and I never got to see them bloom. I also had a pink dahlia planted in my front bed that did well for several years, I did dig and store the tuber this year. It had been left in the ground, and came back yearly, previously.

Finally, my order last night from Brushwood includes clematis Daniel Deronda, I've wanted this one from since last year, clematis John Warren, Arabella, Durandii, Otto Froebel, and Liberation had already been ordered from since December. Come on spring ;0). Annette

Love your arch and both roses, John. I don't know how I missed the photos earlier, sorry!

Marie - you do need a faster grower on the one side. Any decisions yet?

Annette - your stone work is so magnificent I wouldn't want to hide them with anything. The clematis photos you posted last year, on the stone, were so perfect. That's a nice Brushwood order!

We can only wish for spring here. It's 28 and going down from here as the winds outside just howl. No snow yet so that's good.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the compliment pirl, you've got a great memory. It's also 30 here now, and going down to 26 tonight again. We had snow flurries last night and today. Stay warm.

Louisville, KY

Marie, I would think any of the roses I mentioned would make a good showing in a couple of years.

Pirl , I do have Iceberg and like it very much. It hasn't performed well for me to date. Thats more likely me than the roses fault. I have threatened to throw out all of my roses on numerous occassions only to have my wife Susan say they are beautiful and to keep on with them. I am going to give them one more year.

There are two Icebergs one a climber and one thats not (multiflora , hybrid tea ????). Which is the sport of the other I do not know. The one I have is from a cutting taken from an exhibit at the rose show. I have started a number of roses from the rose show where you can buy the exhibited roses for a dollar a stem after the show. They root fairly easily..

Very cold here as well.

Annette - it doesn't take a great memory! Your photos were great and that stonework is classic.

John - I'll ask my California rose friend about the Iceberg. We gardeners are all aware of the "give them one more year" theory. Either we rip them out or they hang around for more than a year.

The wind here is fierce. It went on all day yesterday, all night and this morning. Going down to 17 tonight. Why does spring seem so far away when it gets down to 17? Lobster rolls also seem far away but right after the clem's bloom we'll be off to Cape Cod to enjoy a few of them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Very pretty photos of the roses and clems.....I keep trying, and sometimes get a happy accident!

Athens, PA

Love the arbors - I have an arbor and it looked great until I lost my clematis viticella in the drought the year before. I moved my C. Hagley Hybrid to that space so I am hoping this year HH really takes off. I also have a Cl. Iceberg rose in that space - it seems to be a slow starter, however it was one of the roses I had that flowered well into December/early January this year.

New Dawn climbing rose I also have and just love it. ND can grow to be quite a monster, but I have used my house as a trellis. DH wasn't too thrilled with it, but......

Love all your photos.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.