Building a Home part2

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1173570/

The weather here is frosty most nights. Low temps up and down between 25 to 44. Few snow flurries already this year. The hardest winter in my area is in Feb when the temps drop to 5 degrees off and on.

The house construction is kinda slow these days. Winter brings less income. Most of the outside siding is on. The deck has been lowered but not level yet. Hubby really hates the deck leveling job and has put is off until I scream to have it done. He asked what did I want for Christmas and I said a level deck and that didn't go over too well. Sigh.

Several pictures to show.

first= the outside of the house. Three more sheets of siding to complete the front of the house siding........the back is complete. The ends on the second story need a few more sheets. I still cannot make up my mind on what color to paint the house. rolling my eyes.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Instead of using the small used wood burning heater, we bought one just like it but a little bigger.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Someone gave us some lynolium tile and it was enough to cover the livingroom, dinning room and kitchen floor. It's not what I really want but I can mop the floor now.
But since the floor was still a subfloor and osb board, I had to sand the floor before I could lay the tiles. I used liquid nail to lay the tiles==even though the liquid nail said not to use with lynolium tiles..... It always worked in the past and this is temporary for a few years.

(show me= sand the floor)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Roughly 600 tiles.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Good progress... thanks for the update!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The stair way was closed in with insulation black board = because in the future we will keep the upstairs closed off when the kids are grown and gone.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I hung my skillets and what have ya on the kitchen side of the stair case wall. It's not all my skillets and cast irons but most of it. I can't hang it all right now cause the black board will not hold the weight. These are hanging on the wall studs. Later when I put up the wood wall panels, it can handle the weight of the smaller cast irons. There is a few antique strainers on the wall too. (looking for cast iron serving utensils )

edited= the shelf is temporary and that is where a future cabinet and counter top will be.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 8:03 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

bathroom floor tile= also given to me.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The bathroom window = looks like colored glass but its not. It is a sheet of plastic that you put on the window to make it look like colored glass.
You can't see out and no one can see in. they sell it at home depot where you find the blinds for windows.... The part of the window that you cannot see is the top section of the window and it does not have the plastic art window covering so I can look out if I need to but high enough off the ground that no one can look in.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The front door has a little glass art too. stones. You can't see it very well in the picture but it looks better in person. My son used this design on one of his windows and had some left overs and i cut it up and used it like this on the front door. We can't find anymore of this design to finish the window yet.

edited= the plastic glass art is not glue on. You just wet the window and stick it on and it stays. I like it.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 8:18 AM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I like it too! Looks like you have made great progress in spite of everything! And it looks like you have made it your home. Very nice.

Richmond, TX

Wow! Great work, I'm very impressed.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I love how you take odds & ends and make it work, even if it IS "just for now."

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow! Everything looks so nice. I LOVE the bathroom window. And lucky you to score all that tile. You go, girl!

Vernon, AL

Awsome progress

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Great progress!!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

ty ty ty ty

Went Flea Marketing yesterday. I bought an Amber blackberry dish. (I collect amber). I have never seen one like this. I just had to have it for only $2.75
The outside of the bowl has the impression of the leaves and the blackberries. Love it.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2011 11:31 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

and I couldn't help myself when I found a full size Cast Iron Griddle

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

And the cast iron bread stick pan.
Found a cast iron spoon too.

Richmond, TX

Cool!

Love the breadstick pan!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful house.
We did the same thing, make do until money was there for final things.
We still have OSB floors in three rooms. Some day!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I struggled and changed my mind several times on the color for the house. I like earthy colors but I like pastels too. I wanted a color that would match the design of the house.....barn.....but I didnt like how dark that would be. Then I thought tan but that is so blah and very common. I didn't want Doll House colors cause it is a barn style house.....but I REALLY like Sweet Pea which is a tad darker than pastel green. I am 99.99 percent sure this will be the color with white doors, white trim, white shutters.

to give you an idea of the color, I have an Old Picture of some cabinets that was in the home that burned. They were Sweet Pea green.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have never seen a breadstick pan before. I have one of those corn stick pans if my son didn't nab it while back. Come to think of it, I have not seen it in a while. Not that I ever used it. LOL

Nice color. I'm not a pastel person myself. I'd go more for sage green. But I know you feel good about almost deciding on a color. Isn't that more than half the battle? LOL

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I went with pastel softer color cause the summers are also dreadfully hot and I was hoping a lighter color would be cooler in the house. I like sage too but I love sweet pea.. I can't paint until March or April. Need a few warm sunny days so the paint bonds well.
NO NO =feeling good about a color is not half the battle. The large part of the battle is not changing my mind cause there is so much time to think about it. But me and hubby been talking about it for a couple of months and sweet pea is one color I can't seem to shake off my mind.
Hubby's occupation for 22 years has been a Painter. Color decks everywhere and so many pretty colors to choose from. It will most likely take 15 gallons to paint two coats of the main color. 5 gallons on trim and doors. etc. ($550)

We didn't have the money to put insulation on the inside of the walls before winter hit. We are being guinea pigs and trying out the black board insulation on the windy end of the house inside. The bathroom is complete and only has black board insulation inside and out, the exterior siding and the wood interior siding and it holds the heat in very well surprisingly, But the temps havent been low for a long time yet either.
There is no insulation upstairs yet. It has to be the R30 in the roof ceiling and that is a Spring project. It's gonna cost out the yang yang.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We ran across a product many years ago when it first came on the market. In fact, we were going to be distributors for the product but it didn't work out. It was bubble wrap sandwiched between foil. It was amazing how well it worked. It was called astrofoil, I think. They sent us a good sized roll of it and we put it in our windows for winter and in the big picture window in summer to keep out the heat from the afternoon sun. It was amazing. If we ever do build us a house we will definitely go with that product.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

So much goofy information on insulating.
Our house has R-11 fiberglass in the walls. Use the unfaced stuff, it's lowest price, too. It fits perfectly in between the studs. Make sure there are no open spots. Cover this with plastic sheeting, then your wall covering, drywall, etc.
For the ceiling use the blow in cellulose. We put it about 14" thick here. R-40. It gets all the corners filled so there is no heat lose anywhere.
Our heating costs are very low & didn't need the air conditioner much last summer even with an extra hot summer.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The entire upstairs is second story Gambrel roof. the roof was built with 2x6s. There is no attic to the second story roof. I need to insulate between those 2x6s with the best method / materials possible. I don't think I can use the blow insulation.

Old pic of upstairs roof/ceiling construction.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Use the 6" thick fiberglass, no paper on it. That is R-19. Should keep you real snugly! Cover with plastic before you sheet rock it.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

see- i thought it was r 30 for the 2x6s. got my numbers wrong. and I will remember the plastic. thanks for the idea suggestion ...

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Merry Christmas to you, Cricket!!! How nice to be spending the first one in a home that you built with your own hands.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Just my 2 cents, but I like the color you picked! It's hard to see the exact color online from a picture you took, but I have always liked that color. I'd probably go a bit darker in the same color and I like your idea of white trim too. Can't wait to see it done one day. Love following along on your journey! I bet if you gave your mailing address, you'd get some donations just so we could see you get things done faster LOL!! Janet in W Houston

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Somebody was changing out their bathroom sink and base cabinet on one of hubbys jobs. We got the used one. I wanted oak but right now my name is Jimmie and I'll take whatcha gimmie.... :)

ill post a pic later.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

It was nice spending Christmas in our new home. It was a nice Christmas too. I got a hatchet and a small canister Rigid Shop Vac on wheels (wet/dry) And a sewing machine.

Thanks for following along everyone. It helps having others to talk to about decisions, plans, and ideas. Friends make the world go round.

time to stoke the fire and head to bed. It has been a long day. We Moved the shed today that we called home for 6 months. I can now move all the greenhouse supplies back into the shed and organize everything. Life is not boring.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I was too tired to think about details last night. Hubby thought he could lift the shed with a boom lift yesterday and the weight of the shed folded the boom lift which caused the shed to shift positions. Then when I said watch out for that satelite dish= you know that was the first thing he would hit. The he drug the shed over the water pipe and sewer pipe that were right next to the house and busted it all. We are suppose to cover those pipes with soil but haven't done it yet. He got it out of its cubby hole eventually and this is where it ended up. In front of the main greenhouse waiting for all the supplies/ inventory to be organized. I have containers sitting everywhere and lost a lot too cause most was sitting in the greenhouse during the hottest part of the summer which caused the containers to warp from the heat. Anyway= I have a big job ahead of me on top of having to sow seeds and get ready for spring sales.
Speaking of greenhouses. The business is called Crickets Greenhouse. Cricket is my nickname. My Home will be painted a green shade which is right here with the greenhouses. Cricket's Green House. ha. It crossed my mind last night that it goes together.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 8:48 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The bathroom sink. Doesn't have plumbing yet. We are suppose to have two bathrooms. The laundry room is the other bathroom. The bathroom shower and toilet that was in the shed is suppose to go in the laundry room which is next to my bathroom that we just put the sink in. We wanted to put the shower and toilet in place before we ran the plumbing to the sink so we could do it all at once. Time consuming details.
No telling when that will get done. blah blah

Hey... it's clean and will function; what more do you need for now? Love the porcelain on the faucet handles.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

What we gonna do here is= cut the top of my head off...etc...........

The plan is to use this sink in my bath til I can afford to have the one I want--which is actually an Oak kitchen base cabinet and a kitchen sink with a high rise facet. When I buy those then I can take this sink and put it in the other bathroom. wala.

Other issues in the house is= when we put the cast iron wood burner in, we ran the pipe up and out the side wall. This is causing a wind draft to push smoke into the house on windy days. It works fine as long as the wind is not blowing which isn't very often during the seasonal weather change. We are currently working on running the pipe up through the second story floor and up through the roof top the way it is suppose to be done. ug. Trying to get this done before the coldest winter hits..which is just around the corner.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Don't burn the place down with that wood stove. You should have a chimney to make it work right.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I like the sink. And you can't beat free!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.