Building a Home part2

Winnemucca, NV(Zone 5b)

Hi Cricket,
I am Liz and new here. Found your post and had to give it a read. All I can say is
Wow, what a busy place.
The home is comming along beautifully . The birthday gift light is just incredible. Thank you for sharring your journey here .

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey Liz. I am glad you enjoyed it. It is busy most of the time but I enjoy the Fall months. That is my time off. After Christmas everything starts rolling again. You would think Winter was my time off but it's not cause I spend most of the winter sowing and growing seedlings by the thousands and thousands. and more thousands.

I am sooooooo impatient. I want to paint the house Now. But I must wait. :( And I want some gutters! I need to paint all the bare wood before we put on the facial board that the gutters get connected to... Impatiently waiting for warm weather. March? ish

Winnemucca, NV(Zone 5b)

Been there, I feel for you deeply! Lol. Can't wait to see your progress. We are also stuck waiting on warm weather.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

As usual , tossing things around trying to make things work to my liking.

We went to Home Depot today and they had some ceiling fans on sale. Their orignal price was 49.95 and we bought two for 15.oo each. They are white. The gold grape fan blades on the damaged ceiling fan fits the new ceiling fan. We are switching out the blades and going to move the other light to the kitchen sink with no blades. I had no plans of doing this right now but couldn't pass up the Sale .
Will post pictures later.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I love all the bargains you are getting.

When you get the gutters up will you be harvesting rain water?

I am going through my seeds and deciding what I will plant this year. Getting my planting calendar layed out too. My legs have been hurting a good bit the last 2 days so I am taking some down time and putting it to good use.

I am also hosting a seed swap again for my community. I had one last year but the day of the swap turned off cold, windy and wet. Nobody here had ever heard of a seed swap. I wanted to have one for 2 main reasons. 1, I hoped to get some young people to take up gardening and 2, this is a very impoverished area. I hoped to get food on the tables of people who really needed it. I do know of a couple people who got seeds and took up gardening so it was a success on that point. I was suprised that people are asking me to do the swap again so I am glad to do it. Lots of people here on DG were so good to donate to my cause last year and I have lots of those seeds left so I will be trying my best to get folks gardening again this season.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Cajun
Yes Yes....can't wait to harvest water again. I use to have barrels on the ends of the home that burned catching water. So Nice. I miss it.
I am sorry your legs are hurting....remind me again what your problem is.

I have arthritis in my knees , back , hands and elbows. (for 20 years now in my knees) I love sunshine!!!!!! I am worse when it rains. Sometimes can't walk. Knees lock up in the middle of the night. The description of pain on a scale from 1 thru 10 and 10 being the worst, the scale is a 15.
Which is why I love container gardening and high raised beds. Your community seed swap is a very nice thing to do. I hope you have lots of progress with it this year.
Our son has a doctors appt Feb 16th about the cyst in his leg bone.

Hubby went to an estate sale yesterday. He bought a 250 gal propane tank for $50
A hand sown quilt for $10. Somebody put a lot of time into it. Not a pretty color...definitely scrap odds and end materials. Some Wool squares too. Bought my son a couch and two chairs, fairly decent for $15. We put them upstairs. He is now set up with his own living room/ game room. If the doctor has to drain and fill the cyst in his leg, we might have to move his bed downstairs for a while.
A lot of things happening right now. Plus the greenhouse business getting ready for spring. Gardening has always been my retreat.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Critter do you still have your nephews living with you too? Sounds like your son has the perfect set up for having friends over!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about your pain. I know the feeling. I hate when it is cold because my muscles hurt so much. Always stressed and in spasm. I have MD. I will be so glad when warmer weather is here to stay. But this winter has been so much better than the last 2.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

We only have the one nephew here right now but him and his whole family are going to move to Nashville TN area next week. It's going to be a sad week.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I am sorry to hear that. From what you said before they need you. Will there be any family near by to keep an eye on them?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Nope. But they will be 3 hours away, give or take.
I told her that no one will be there for her like there is now. No one to give her a break. No where to run to. Notta. Alone.
Her husband is a truck driver and stationed in Nashville and not allowed to bring the truck home.(new enforced existing rules)

Winnemucca, NV(Zone 5b)

Thoese are great buys. Lucky for you to live in an area where so much is available. We have next to nothing here being such a small town and we are right in the middle so to speak. 160 miles to the south or 140 miles to the north for the closest city of any size.

Cajun, best of luck on your seed swap! Will definetly due the community good. Wanted to get something like that going here with our community garden. Problem is I am 38 miles from town and not realy considered part of the community.
Wanted to find out what was needed to get involved with the farmers market here because it is pathetic. We had 4 venders and they wanted twice as much as the grocery stores. But to do so, I would need some help to get it set up since I have never done the market thing as a vender. Since I am not in the immediat community and won't be working there at the garden site, I don't fit the mold . Thats ok, I am used to that not fitting thing. The food bank will be very happy once all the beds get done and we are solidly producing.

We all suffer together as far as pain goes, the cold causes major problems for Tim and I as well . Not MD here, for me its, Fibro, myafacial pain, degenerative disk, arthritis, mitral valve prolaps, etc.etc.etc.
Can keep track any more Lol...

Cricket, how old is your son again? I know it was a nightmare trying to keep mine down when he fracture both of his knees in a fall. Nothing would keep him still ! Sounds like you have a great set up for yours. Truely hope for all of you that it is easily treated and he is off and on the run again soon.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

son, Chad is 12 years old. July 4, 1999

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice 4th. Of July present. I have one on the 5th.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Most everyone cooks out on July 4th. Makes for an easy birthday party.
My other son was born November 25 1988. Sometimes , His birthday lands on Thanksgiving ,

The $15 ceiling fan , blades changed out.
plain votives. I will buy some prettier ones later.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Baby sat the grandkids today. Made Sonnie a comfy place on the love seat, put in a cartoon= Cars= and he's out like a light switch turning off.
His momma had a doc appt with the o.b.g.y.n. third baby due in May.
I always mock a hyper sleepy child. they make a bunch of noise, yelling, laughing, crying, then they just kinda fall asleep instantly==like turning off a light.

Winnemucca, NV(Zone 5b)

How cute!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Precious!! My niece 's birthday is the same way sometimes it falls on Thanksgiving and sometime it does not. My 2nd to the youngest has a May 25th birthday and it is the same way with Memorial day. Every so many years his birthday falls on the holiday.

Winnemucca, NV(Zone 5b)

Desert, my oldest son is the 20th of May and its the same for him as well.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

The fan looks great and the Kid☺♥☺awww! My DS was like that; run, run, run and konk out!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

My husband bought me a computer desk today. I have been using a folding table. Papers stacked everywhere. hate it.
So here is the desk. used........$35. excellent condition. that press board stuff. wish it was real wood but i can live with this.

Oh===my son Chad looked through the hole in the center of the desk===where you pull the wiring through.
eyeball.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

something came with the desk......
II hope it doesn't offend anyone. Just something funny.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

directions up close

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Desk works, good for you! "Bag" is too funny!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Love the bags!! The desk looks like it will work well, and $35 is a great price for one☺

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I want a U shape counter tops at the end of the kitchen looking over into the dining room but I have to do this one step at a time.
I bought a 6 ft Oak kitchen base cabinet today and two sheets of Oak plywood.
One sheet of oak was cut to fit the back of the cabinet. Hubby helped with that.
I measured , drew out my design, and cut the counter top out with a jig saw.
I wanted the outer base cabinet to have extra over hang for two bar stools.

here it is....ready to be sanded.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

so right now it is just an island bar. Later it will have the end base cabinet added to complete the U shape.

the bar end.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The end where the other cabinet will be added later has a straight edge.

will be stained Golden Oak to match the other cabinets.
the other cabinet base top will be changed to match this one later in Feb.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I sanded forever.
Then I sanded some more.
Then I got to put a coat of stain on.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I am tired. good nite.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

And that was a good days' work. Very nice... you deserve a good nite! Sleep tight...

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

nice.. well..about the fan... sometimes the brushes of the motor get stuck some.. they are a chunk of carbon with a wire attached.. backed up by a spring to push it aganst the rotor of the motor.. if you can get that glass off the motor.. try knocking it hard with a hammer.. that will sometimes free it and allow it to keep working
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=brushes+of+a+motor+ac&hl=en&rlz=1G1SNNTCENUS412&prmd=imvns&resnum=11&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=791&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3146471037318309239&sa=X&ei=ISMqT5CxBueK2QWE8LiJDw&ved=0CIQBEPMCMAA

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks Gordon. i will give it a try.

Hubby went to Home Depot this morning to get two wooden 2way brackets for the island bar support.
they had a pattern to match the counter top.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I been putting on a coat of polyurethane all morning. Even sanded down the dining room table with 400 grit sand paper and put a coat on it too. I never got around to doing the table after I cleaned it up from smoke and water damage. It had a dull finish from scrubbing it. It looks a lot better now.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

table- not so dull anymore.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I want my walls and ceiling to look like this.
That would be so expensive. but If I did it a little at a time, it wouldn't hurt the pocket so badly.

Richmond, TX

You do nice work!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank you porkpal.

I am just about finished with the kitchen base island bar.
Another coat of polyurethane this evening.

larger view of the cabinet

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I like to cook. And I like kitchen gadgets and dishes and Amberware. Gotta have a place to store it all.
That base cabinet , two sheets oak plywood, wood brackets, sand paper, stain, polyurethane, oak end panels, paint thinner and paint brushes costed $527

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 3:43 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Ouch! But I know cabinets are not cheap now either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.