Our December Holiday Blooms

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

By the way, love the Bulbo.

Jim

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, love that Bulbo. Still have not decided bulbo to get. I may just wait for the spring shows to decide

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Doesn't it feel great when you can salvage something like that medusae, Laurel? Looks like it found a happy home with you.

Jim, here's a third named cultivar from the Maikai grex. I haven't yet looked back at the other photos to see what the differences are. The first of 11 flowers opened yesterday. The grex is a vigorous grower, so you're going to have 2 big plants on your hands before you know it. When all of these open, I'll take a photo of the whole plant.

Bc. Maikai 'Mayumi.'

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Good one, Scott. It has a lot more yellow in it.

Brassavola Memoria Bernice Foster opened yesterday:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a closer look. I wonder if Laurel will figure out this is no longer a Brassavola but has morphed into something we can't possibly pronounce. :>)

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel's gift Cym Leodogran 'Cradlemont' is beginning to open. What a treat!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a closer look.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, Jim! Yea Me!!! lol This will get much prettier over the next month.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful autumn shade on that cymbidium, Jim. And she didn't conjure up a new name for that brassavola! Nice gift, Laurel. Hey - didn't you name another orchid recently? Was it Phalaenopsis Blu Duk Poo? :-D

Scott, your Bc. is looking very pretty. Your doing great with all those plants indoors. I have had the mother plant of that Cymbidium for over thirty five years. It's got an Award of Merit from the American Orchid Society. The color changes to a deep mauve over time. The back petals and sepals are slightly chocolate colored. The flowers last for months.

I love the name of that Phalaaenopsis. If I hybridized at all I'd do it.

What is that, Jim? A Brassolaelia something or other? That isn't a mealy bug on the leaf of that first photo is it?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Good eye, Laurel. I noticed that myself and will resolve it tomorrow before church.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It's not a mealy bug but rather a little spider nest. At any rate, it is gone now.

Jim

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

It's a beautiful color, Laurel. I've never grown a Cymbidium, but certainly admire those posted here. Congrats on the Award of Merit! By the way, one thing I noted with these flowers - they seem a little fragile to the touch - compared to years past. Does that make sense? The only way to explain it is that the petals/sepals seem thin. Maybe I'll end-up investing in a high-pressure sodium fixture after all. I do think the color is more intense this go 'round...which is nice.

Jim, I found some information about the Bc. Maikai cross. It turns out your 'Louise' clone is supposed to bear more flowers than the others. You should be in for quite a show with Weezie!

I didn't get the award, Scott. It was named and awarded many years before I got mine so the award sticks with all the progeny of that original plant. Leodogran was the king of Camelot. My original plant came from a sweet lady I met when we first moved to Atlanta. She's been gone many years now. My first Atlanta orchids (as opposed to Miami orchids) came from her greenhouse. I was a beginner at growing indoor orchids. Big learning curve from growing orchids in Miami.

Jim, if you get mealy bugs it's because you relocated that spider. lol I hang on to all the spiders I can find in the greenhut and have been known to relocate a bunch in there for good measure.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It wasn't really a spider, just a spot of sticky spider silk. I have lizards on bug patrol, don't need the spiders.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Good to hear I'm not the only one who keeps spiders around for bug control, Laurel. I have at least 20 webs up in the top of our pool cage for catching all the little biters and stuff that gets in through the screen. When DH breaks out the power washer I'm out there policing him so he doesn't wash them all away. He thinks I am crazy but . . I tell him about all we're saving on chemicals if we can keep control naturally.

I am currently harboring a beautiful specimen of a black widow in the garage, too. She is so big she actually caught (and consumed) a baby gecko a few weeks back. I figure where there are spiders, there are most likely bugs they are feeding on.

I guess if one of the 'chids gets buggy I can just put it near one of my pool cage residents and watch them take care of the problems, huh?

Elaine, I often repeat...the garden is kept as organic as possible but if there's a bug or black spot on the 'chids they get bombed with toxic waste. No foolin' around. Problems can spread like wildfire in an orchid collection. Consistently inspecting your orchids and using clean technique when handling and potting is very important. That said, I love spiders and try to relocate them.

Here's Paph. Petula var. alba today. Don't think I mentioned it but Petula is normally a vinicolor (dark wine color). The alba form is more rare and is a cross of Paph maudiae alba x wardii alba.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Love the color of that Paph.

Jim

Me too!

I know this orchid does not look very impressive but the plant came my way a few months ago as a cutting and so is newly mounted. What a surprise to see a flower appear out of no where. This is Maxillaria uncata. The petals and sepals are semi-transparent.

The look of the plant is always important to me because so much time is spent with them not in bloom. This one is so pretty. That said I've got some really ugleee orchids.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That is a lovely plant, but your artistic mount has a lot to do with the whole effect.

Looks like a little bird's nest. Gorgeous!

Elaine

Thank you, Elaine. If you look closely you will see my new favorite ties for mounts; polyester yarn. It blends perfectly. I have a mossy green and dark brown that happened to be hanging around collecting dust.

We are having serious internet outages. The provider will be here any time over...well anytime. You know how that goes. SO spent all morning so far on the phone. We had no connection since early last evening. If I go AWOL or don't answer that's why.

Vanda Boonchoo x Ascocenda Kulvadee Fragrance as of yesterday afternoon with four of five flowers open.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a beautiful Vanda, Laurel.

We bought a new big screen TV for Christmas and I find myself rearranging the house to accomodate it. Nothing is easy.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim, if the new TV is computer compatible you could show orchid pictures on it - including our postings. (even I will have flowers soon - 3 Brassavolas and two phals are expecting)

Laureel, that paph is phabulous, but I hear they're phussy?

Here are my 'chids in a family shot - except the catts are still out camping.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Jim, between the orchids and the electronics you're going to move yourself right out of that house!

Elaine, the mottled leaf Paphs are easy. They like dappled light and even temperatures year around. I sold the sister plant to a fellow grower two years ago. She got an Award of Merit at the regional AOS judging with a smaller plant and a single bloom last winter.

It's the last sunny day for a while which means I didn't have to jump through hoops adjusting the camera. Low light and small orchids are especially challenging. The flower on this Lepanthes yunckeri is so small I've spent days trying to figure out whether a new leaf or a bud was emerging. See what I mean?

It's a flower and more are on the way!

At an eighth of an inch it is small but oh so perfect.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, that is tiny but love the color.

Elaine, yes, the new TV is compatible and I plan on looking at some of these beauties on the big 60 inch screen. I bet it will be fantastic.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

What an exquisite tiny little thing, Laurel. But I think I might add a mottled-leaf Paph to the wish list. I like the foliage, as well as the lovely flower. Your pic of the flower was so pretty I never noticed the leaves until I went back and looked.

Just think of Jim viewing the picture of that tiny flower on his 5ft wide screen . . . orchid overload in Odessa.

Here's Catt 'Portia" coerulea from the orchid house at Selby since I still have no flowers.

Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
north coast nsw, Australia

Zygopabstia Pimpala 'Radiance'....

Thumbnail by breeindy
north coast nsw, Australia

Onc. Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' looks pretty spotty but flowers on time every time.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Elaine, just think what a mealy bug would look like!

Bree, I really like the Zygo. Great color.

Jim

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyzzy, the mounted orchid hanging above the others is looking very nice! And thanks for sharing the picture of Portia. Blues are a favorite of mine.

Laurel, no matter how small, that flower has a beautiful shape! Fascinating, for sure. And your mounted orchid is very artsy! I think we've all got some ugly plants...LOL! I try to to convince myself their off-season rambling growth is just "the way Nature intended." :o)

Bree, that blue Zygo is striking! Well done. And my Sharry Baby plant - no matter what I do - always has spots. I think it's genetic. But the flowers are certainly worth it.

I can handle photos from the Selby, Elaine.

That is such a pretty Zygo, Bree. I heard a grower once say that certain Oncidiums always looked ratty no matter what and Sharry Baby is one of them. My Onc. sphacelatum is another.

In the past we had more than one part to the monthly thread to accommodate the Slowskies. To celebrate the season I've kept the tradition going and started a new thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1234115/ Come on over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.