Our December Holiday Blooms

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

This will be my only Dec. bloom, I think. Everything is out in the cold (down to 37 a few mornings), as I'm having the house tented for termites Monday.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

A little closer. The spike in the back blasted all but one bud, and it just dropped off.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

OH NO so sorry !!! but the blooms you do have I like very much

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That Oncidium Gold Dust is just lovely, Laurel. None of us would have noticed the dog hair if you hadn't pointed it out, kiddo!

I did manage to drag DH and my brother to the Botanical Garden in Gr. Cayman yesterday, but none of the orchids were in bloom - not a single ONE! I was disappointed to not have at least one bloom picture to post for all. If we get back there in the spring, May or so, it will be a sight to behold. They have a whole section of forest there simply dripping with thousands of orchids of so many kinds. Catts and Oncs and Dens and Brassavolas. They even have a decent sized - 6ft across or so - specimen of Grammatophyllum Speciosum in a huge basket right at the entrance.

This shot is a mass of Myrmecophyla just enveloping the middle of a pretty little Wild Jasmine tree. Neat to see how it looks doing it's more or less 'natural' thing.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Carol, I can't believe it gets that cold in your zone! I'm comparing your area to Miami and when it gets that cold there it's usually much later in the season. That's rarely too. Does your only bloomer have a name? It is so pretty.

LOL on the dog hair, Elaine. Truth in advertising prevails. On the Myrmecophilia, you'll have to go diving again in Spring when it will probably be in bloom. The species gets huge in situ.

Scott, your orchids sound like they are doing great in the basement. I know a couple of growers that have large collections under lights. I tried and failed at that. Good job!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Last year at this time we were in the middle of the coldest December ever recorded in the Tampa area. This year has been balmy and the extended forcast calls for 80 degree highs through all of next week. I blame it on my new greenhouse. My plants are loving it. Caladiums are still going strong as is most everything else.

Elaine, thanks for sharing that nice pic. I hope you are enjoying your trip.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

OOps! Sorry, Laurel! That is Laelia gouldiana, one of the Mexican Laelias.
We are not tropical here. Our climate is discribed as Mediterenian. Check the latitude. Most of our weather comes from Alaska...the Mexican weather seldom comes this far north. Add to that our coastal configuration, the coastal mountains, and the pacific currents, and we get some crazy weather. Even Dana Point, a beach city in south county got down to 37 last week. Very unusual, but it worries me that we're getting this cold this early. And by the way, We're whimps when it comes to cold!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

17 and falling and its not even cold here yet ;0)

Eat some cheese curds and lutefisk, stomp around in your Red Wings and gather up the ice fishing gear while dreaming of orchids, Glevely. Hunker down and get ready for a long, cold winter. Otherwise pack your bags and head south.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

glevely, thanks for reminding me why I continue to live in this rat race!LOL!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim, we got home this afternoon. Had a great time, and my ears are still 'squidgy' from 7 dives in 5 days. But it makes my arthritis go away for at least a little while. All that pressure, and nice gentle exercise in warm water is great for the joints. I am rarin' to get back in the garden.

I absolutely do plan to get back there in the spring to see the orchids in bloom, and of course to get marinated again, too. We have a time share we trade for our week's diving breaks and I'm putting in the next request tomorrow. Must have all the 'Chids properly mounted and situated so I can leave them without worry by then. That's a goal.

Here's their 'Grammy' in it's 30in. square basket. I surely would love to see that fellow in bloom! The info sheet they had tacked to it says they only bloom every 3 or 4 years!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The roots will soon envelop the box and it will look like one big root ball. I have a Grammatophylum scriptum and it blooms every year. Mine is in a box like that and you can see what the roots did.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It will put out six or so spikes, each with about 50 blooms. Each spike is around 3 feet in length and they come out of all sides. I don't recommend it for confined spaces.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a closer look at one of the flowers.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Holy Cats how would you ever pot that up ??? guess I wont put that on my list ! but I would love to see one in person

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

No need to put it in a pot. About half of my orchids are not in pots and the more experience I get, the better I like mounting.

Jim

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Unbelievable beauties. I am still trying to figure out the difference between Cats, Phal, Den, everything. Going shopping today in the big city. Will definitely pickup a book on orchids. I plan on going to my favorite nursery, but DH said "no more plants". "I am on a budget"....HA. Hopefully he wil say just pick out one thing only (plus small starters). He's a doll. Will take me to the nursery whenever I mention it.

I am interested in making my own hanging baskets. Should the wood I use be something specific or would pine, redwood, cypress, do. Guess I'll buy one of those wood hanging baskets to use as a pattern.
Maybe if I have the baskets, I will get an orchid for Christmas.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Magnifique, Jim! As you say, it certainly needs a big space when it's in bloom so that you can appreciate it's flowers. What time of year does yours bloom? I love what the roots did, looks like a thatched basket.

Speaking of appreciating flowers, I have this nice big Epidendrum that is expected to begin blooming in January. It's in a regular plastic flower pot, but seems very healthy and vigorous. Lots of new shoots and growth. I'm wondering if I should pot it up into a hanging basket with regular orchid mix so that I can hang it where it will get good light and be appreciated when it starts to bloom?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

What a great month for this thread!! You just have an awe inspiring collection, Jim. I would need a staff of gardeners to take care of all that...or at least more energy.

Laurel, I enjoy your vanda pics, but I'm a sucker for yellows. That one's SO pretty. You're making me jealous talking about the fragrance. :o) Should I assume the lower-light asco's you mentioned are also fragrant? After all, I do buy myself Christmas gifts, so there's a classic excuse. Things are doing fine under lights, but I've got lots of bulbs. I think that's the trick...using florescents in big groupings. I studied like I was back in school before setup. The endless online reading about footcandles and lumens and kelvin wore me out. My setup doesn't get close to the brightness of my yard's filtered sun. But it's not filtered, it's constant. I didn't calculate for that, so the outcome's been better than I thought. Things like use of reflection/reducing loss of light help tremendously, too...but make for a very stoic, lab-looking environment. But then I can simply bring them upstairs in view when they're putting on a show. I do replicate actual daylength, though (dang - it's almost solstice) because so many of mine are seasonal-or-nothing type bloomers. That and about 75% blue / 25% red light, and I've got lots of inflorescence. I enjoy the lessons I'm learning...so it's been a fun project.

Elaine, I'll let someone with more knowledge comment on your Epi. The few I have in my collection are hybrids and grow upright, so I'm not sure. Great healthy-looking growth!

Carol, beautiful Laelia! I think I had some misperceptions about your zone. Maybe it's envy that led me to believe your temperatures never dipped so low. Speaking of which...

Glevely, I cringe at simply reading those temperatures. I just could not handle it!

Peg, I make my own slat-baskets. I may get my wrist slapped for admitting I don't always use the perfect hardwoods, but I can dmail you how I assemble them. I use them mostly for dendrobiums that don't have much of a big root system. I ramble on about not liking sphaghum moss, but these are one instance where I use it...and just make sure it's not holding too much water for the season's needs. It's neat being able to customize the size and shape. Also, if you haven't already, take a glance at www.everything-orchids.com. I find it helpful when I've got a minute for reading.

Meanwhile, Bree is probably giggling in a summer breeze right now!

north coast nsw, Australia

Well it is warm but has been raining and looking very overcast for a week. Must admit were still in shorts and tshirts and the humidity is high. hehe! I wouldn't be able to live in the cold me.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

SCBegonia Guy, I appreciate any tips you send my way.

I did purchase a small book on orchids for beginners and came home yesterday with a Dendrobium Orchid Hybird. Guess I'll be asking for identification once it blooms. It's full of buds so does that mean it will always bloom in December.

Will send a pic.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

This is what I came home with.....lots of buds.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I hope it's the white one with just a touch of wine color. The roots look good also.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I tried to choose one with all green stalks.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been busy for a couple of days and I'll try to catch up.

Peg, building your own baskets is fine if you have the time. I have been able to find those Lincoln Log type baskets made out of both wood and a plastic material that doesn't rot. The construction is the same so you can use the same pattern for either. If you can find the plastic it would be better.

Elaine, my Grammatophylum scriptum blooms in June and lasts into July. As for your big Epi, I think it is getting most of its neutrients through the aerial roots and doesn't give a hoot about that orchid bark you are worrying about. Just give it some support and watch it grow. Be sure to mist it often with a weak fertilizer solution. My big Epi is about 10 feet long and it hasn't seen a piece of bark in years. See pic.

Scott, thanks. I know of several folks that have collections that are double or triple mine. What limits me (and Laurel as well) is interest in other plants. Laurel is primarily a veggie gardener and I am into palms, cycads, rare fruit, dasylirions, agaves and whatever other weird plant I can get my hands on. It broke my heart when I lost my screw pine to a freeze a couple of years ago. So orchids are are a passion but must share time with all of the other stuff.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I am back from the orchid society annual party at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I got a blue ribbon for Oncidium Gold Dust and another for the Acampe! Little Pluerothallis mathildae took a third. It was a good night.

Yes, I am obsessed with my veggie garden in N. GA (Maypop). But, I don't just grow veggies. I save seed for sustainable harvests from year to year, swap open pollinated and heirloom veggie seed with people all over the country, can, pickle, freeze and otherwise preserve what I grow and then donate the excess to food pantries around the city. This year's garden included forty two varieties of heirloom tomatoes and close to twenty heirloom peppers. There were nine varieties of heirloom beans, three of eggplants and two of collards. Also turnips and mustards. Even heirloom raspberries. Every year is a new beginning in the veggie garden but if the orchid collection went down from a weather mishap I'd be out thousands of dollars. Having lost huge collections before it's always in the back of my mind that it will probably happen at some point again. My girlfriend has a beautiful Victorian replica greenhouse with all the bells and whistles. Wrought iron fretwork runs across the roof ridge. It has an antique double bowl farm sink with the original brass faucets. Really a show place. She has an alarm system on a smart phone that dials the house in case of generator failure or the automatic vents don't open. It has awakened her in the middle of the night and she has averted crises. But one day two years ago a tree limb went through the roof and her system was down. It was in the middle of the night. She lost, among others, a collection of close to a hundred Vandas, all show quality. It took six months to figure out what was going to live and what was gone. I remind myself that orchid collections can be a very transient affair.

Scott, yellows are a favorite here too but don't try Vandas or Ascocendas under lights.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Jim - that is one impressive bunch of roots!!!!!!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim, fabulous roots but, um, I'm sort of hoping to grow some leaves and flowers, too.

Seriously, how do you have it suspended? Basket? Raft? I have the top of the fence in some sun, or the top of a huge oak branch in shifting shade that I could just plunk it down and fasten it on. I think they like some sun, though, right?

Elaine

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Laurel, the story about your friend's top-shelf greenhouse is just awful! A grim reminder that "the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry." Kudos on your heirloom veggie ventures. It's amazing how you find the time to care for everything.

Agreed, Qwilter. That's a LOT of roots! Something I would've had to long-since donated to the local botanical garden, where they'd have the room to accommodate it! :o)

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Jim, thanks so much for the tips. I never thought about plastic baskets. That would be great if I get off to a good start. I am impressed with all the roots on your Epi. I can't even guess how old your plant is, and how much patience you have to let it grow untouched.
One other thought, are you referring to my new orchid as an Epi. Guess I need a clear definition of EPI.

Laurel, congrats on the ribbons at the Orchid show. It just makes us even more envious. Send up some pics that we can drool over.

Thanks, Peg. The photos will probably be up on the web in a few weeks with the Atlanta Orchid Society newsletter. I'll try to remember to clue you in. The photography done be more professional members is much superior to mine. I don't bring in plants every month and it may have been a mistake last night. By the time I got home half the flowers on that blue Vanda were broken off, Oncidium Gold Dust unpotted and Oncidium ornithorhyncum, which I haven't even posted here, had it's spike with tons of flowers completely broken off. SO made a sharp stop at a light change and the box of plants tipped over in the car. (

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Oh no!! Heartbreaking.
I found about 5 of my broms in the GHouse in pretty bad shape this morning. Thru my fault, thru my fault.....
Something more to bring in the house for a while.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Peg, Epi is an abbreviation for Epidendrum. I was talking about the Epi posted by Elaine and showed one of mine as a comparison.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Just to show my Epidendrum Radicans is not only a pile of roots, here is the flower:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Epic. Volcano Trick 'Fireball' is now fully open. It lives up to its name.

Jim

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Blc Goldenzelle 'Frank Smith' is now 6 and a half inches across.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a rather new acquisition and it is a dandy. Slc. India Rose Sherwood.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This huge Catt is mounted and I will post a picture of it on the Mounting Orchids thread. Here is a closer look at the flower:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Blc. Golden Tang has opened three more blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A closer look:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.