What are your FAVORITE lilies?

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Is your Conc d'Or just one bulb or did it send up multiples after a couple of years? Mine consistently sends up one huge 'trunk'. It was commented that this type of lily doesn't 'bush out' as others do

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mary - I had several baby bulbs but not the 60 and 70 baby bulbs I had from other lilies.

Holy cow. Well, we shall see how they do this year. It will be the third summer for some of the large orienpets from TLG.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont believe the d'ores multiply like asiatics.

Mary - for me the Orienpets multiply well, sometimes too much making it difficult to find new places for all of them. I've had Asiatic lilies that didn't multiply at all but I generally don't lift them to check what's below the soil line.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Neither orientals nor trumpets are quick to multiply, so it follows that OTs won't either. Wish they would though I do enjoy those big, stately stems. :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Guess we cross-posted! You must have the magic touch when it comes to orientals, Pirl.

Our Orientals don't multiply but Triumphator certainly does!

Or maybe it's the compost, Moby!

75 baby bulbs and major scales for this no ID lily!

Thumbnail by pirl

The no ID mother. That bulb also gave me a lot of big bulbs and they were moved to another area.

Thumbnail by pirl
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A few of my favorites:

Queen Of Hearts. One of Lisa's lilies of course (Buggy Crazy). Very tall, nicely scented without the cloying scent.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Miss Feya, it stands just at eye level for me.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 3:49 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A lot of other favorites, including Ice Caves, which was glorious this year.

But also Kentucky, because it matched the vase my daughter just had given me. LA lily, lightly scented.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Reading, PA(Zone 6b)

'Centerfold' multiplied in number and girth. The mother bulbs resemble heads of cauliflower. I had to use a machete to hack down the canes this winter. But...'Casa Blanca' is so majestic. 'Landini' is the darkest red I have seen. It is not purple nor is it black, but it is beautiful.

Thumbnail by Charmed_Garden
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

So pretty!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cant think of a lily I dont like.
These are my 7 foot Regals

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Satisfactions

Thumbnail by ge1836

Both are beautiful. 7'?? amazing. I guess the hot summers really make a difference in height. I don't expect mine to ever get that tall. And up against a white house probably makes a difference too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That stretch of the house has just the right moisture for Ligularias as well as lilies. It stays damp but no bulb rot.

Huh.... I may plant some lilies among my ligularia. I have them on both the east and west fence. Be interesting to see where they do better. The east fence doesn't get sun til around 8-10 depending on time of year, and the west fence (facing east) gets sun from first light til it goes behind the house about noon or so, then out again for some late afternoon sun. Interesting experiment. I heard that down south ligularia is considered a shade plant but obviously not if they grow with your lilies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That area was sun fron 2- sundown until last year when the vibernums came out. I expect it will be considered full sun now altho not a full 6 hours.
Ligularias like things a bit damp.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oberon46, don't think you can't have tall lilies....im a zone 5a and I grow em 9 feet tall. ^_^

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Hoping mine grows and looks like yours Maniac!

Pixie has the magic touch.

Nine feet!!! Well, I will continue to hope. I think I need to work more on what I feed them, building up the soild and all. Seem like a lot of plants and flowers in such small areas. Seems like they would just suck the life out of the soil.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I plant with compost. Soil here is clay.

Our soil is pretty much just, well, dirt. then about two feet down you hit a little clay, then a sand strata.

Reading, PA(Zone 6b)

Invest in a compost maker and a tiller. I go through bales of peatmoss. I should have bought stock in Lowes! Our dirt is clay, well it used to be. Now it is humus rich well draining mother earth. Every season topdress compost. Around here we also use crushed cocoa shells as mulch. The smell is fantastic! Hershy Park has its perks beyond the rollercoasters!

I buy bags and bags of soil from Lowe's -- so you will have to share the stock! LOL. I get compost locally and put it plus bagged manure in three new beds. Need to top dress in the fall in the established garden beds I guess. Fall, yes??

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We have clay also and dressed with compost in the fall. It schmmoooozes all winter,Plants love it.

Well, another new task for the year. But that is good. Thanks

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Our town composts the leaf collection in the fall. We also compost household organic matter and use it when we plant.
The town composted leaf stuff is free to residents but we pay 50 dollars for delivery of about 5 yards.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I do the same thing Jo, no town compost, usually my own leaves and veggie garden matter. I save household scraps from cooking all but the months of Jan., Feb, and March.....can't get to the bins most years.

Pixie - we save it in the plastic coffee containers and put them in the garage, emptying them in the compost during the mild days of winter. When we have too much snow cover we just save it in the garage and it decomposes fairly fast. We have the free town "mulch" here but don't use it. Unless it's tested I don't want the risk of battery acid and other items that are not conducive to good gardening or healthy vegetables.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the first year for town compost. We are here going on 5 years and mulched the first and third years.
We will compost in another 2 or 3 years and compost ever after.

Poland, ME

I absolutely LOVE Big Brother. The photo doesn't do it justice, but in person it gives a real WOW factor! THe blossoms are a good 12 " and a heavenly fragrance. It is a real attention getter. It's on O/T.

Thumbnail by Mainiac

I use our own compost for the soil, to help plants grow.

I apply mulch, in the form of long needled pine, every year.

Beautiful, Mainiac. It reminds me a bit of Conca d'Or and Cherbourg, both of which I bought from you. Such heavenly scents!

Poland, ME

I took a huge liking to this tall Asiatic that blooms in August. WHY? Becuase by August the Asiaitics are done but not this one. It's name is August Ruby.

Thumbnail by Mainiac

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.