2011 "FALL SEED SWAP" PT 2

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WE CAME FROM HERE :2011 FALL SEED SWAP PT 1
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210221/#top

Well Our Robin is getting ready to fly within the Next few weeks so as promised the "FLIGHT PLAN IS" As Followed .
all I Ask is that if you see that you are going to be gone within that week that it is to land to please
POST & LET US KNOW We can reroute then send back to you.

ROBIN WEST ROUND 1

# 1 NF293
# 2 ORDAIRYGIRL
# 3 MINNESSIPPI
# 4 MELLEN1954
# 5 MOMCAT
# 6 DIAMOND9192001
------------------------------------------
SECOND TIME AROUND WEST TO EAST

# 7 IGROWINPA
# 8 CAROLYN22
# 9 GARDENSEEDER
#10 PFG
# 11CRIS316
# 12 BIGTROT
# 13 AMANDAESQ
# 14 ANSONFAN
# 15 MRSSPEEDSGARDEN
# 16 MECHELLET
# 17 POISONDARTFROG
# 18 DEEJAY9
---------------------------------------------------------------

ROBIN EAST

# 1 POISONDARTFROG
# 2 MECHELLET
# 3 MRSSPEEDSGARDEN
# 4 ANSONFAN
# 5 AMANDAESQ
# 6 BIGTROT
# 7 CRIS316
# 8 PFG
# 9 GARDENSEEDER
# 10 CAROLYN22
# 11 IGROWINPA
-----------------------------------------
SECOUND TIME AROUND EAST TO WEST

# 12 DIAMOND9192001
# 13 MOMCAT
# 14 MELLEN1954
# 15 MINNESSIPPI
# 16 ORDAIRYGIRL
# 17 NF2932
# 18 DEEJAY9

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 9:47 PM

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 5:54 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9

"" GUIDLINES""""

1 ---PLEASE HAVE YOUR SPECIAL TOWEL READY FOR THE PERSON YOU WILL BE SENDING TO .
2----YOU WILL HAVE THE ROBIN 3-4 DAYS TO GO THROUGH PENDING ON ANY HOLIDAYS THAT MIGHT FALL .
3----YOU MUST POST WHEN THE ROBIN LANDS & TAKES OFF .

MORE WILL BE POSTED HERE SOON .

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

USPS have a nice "game" box - its a large flat rate but it is much bigger than the normal large flat rate - big enough for a board game. Not sure if you can pick them up at the post office, but they can be ordered and delivered. ~ Just a thought.

Concord, NH

yippie cant wait!! ty ty

I could use suggestion for there are Over 200 pks for each box just starting out. so once i get the weight of each box I will let you know . that is my next step filling the robins & getting the flights typed up.

all the info for the robin will be into the robins as to who you are sending to & Their address . Oh you can send Monagramed Towels
if you want to . well rainy day so trying to get things put away here . Got a Night out with the girls .@ BINGO Tonight can hardly wait :) been awhile :)

well off to work on the boxes.
susie

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

Getting excited here, Susie. I have been collecting seeds wherever I go. My son just laughed when he drove my car when they were here to visit. In the front console, I have a box of baggies, tags, pen, and nippers. They go where I go.

Have fun at BINGO tonight. Sounds like you NEED a night out with the girls. Maybe you can get back to that now that you will be having some help.
ME

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Fun! :)

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

oh my gosh, cannot wait !

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know how to collect seeds from Euphorbia?

I put a sandwich bag over the seed heads & Hung then from my curtain Rod as I Do other type of plants also works good .
anita tried to call you back on my cell phone but said that # won't work or disconnected . call my cell can ya ??? if you get a min.

susie

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Where can I get the right kind of envelopes for very small seeds? I'm looking for the little clear paper ones the seed companies use. I have small plastic zip-locs and paper coin envelopes. I've collected lots of nicotiana seeds, Sylvestris, Langsdorfii and white, purple and lime Alata, all separate. I also have some great blue lobelia... All teeny, some almost like powder.

Also is it better to divide the seeds of each type into individual packets or should I put all seeds of one type in one package and give extra envies so people can take what they want?

Thanks. Pam

Athens, PA

Pam

I dont' know about others, but I would be interested in some of the nicotiana seeds - but not all types. Is it too much trouble to keep them separate?

I am hoping to gather some nicotiana perfume purple seeds here shortly to put into the robin.....

Carolyn, Don't worry, they are all separate. I don't mix colors or types....I like to know what to expect when I plant.

My question was about breaking each type down into individual portions, or just letting people take what they want. Is the anything in particular you're interested in?

Athens, PA

Oh Pam. I am sorry - I apparently didn't read it correctly......

I seem to have more 'duh' moments than not anymore ^_^

I'm glad you clarified it. Looking over what I wrote I see that It could easily have been misunderstood, so others may also have gotten the wrong idea as well.

As for 'duh' moments-- they seem to propagate themselves when I'm not looking!

Pam

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Pam, I found my bags at WalMart for $1. I like those because they are ziplock but you need a art pen to write on them. Permanent markers smudge after a while. I found the paper bags at Office Depot. You can use marker to write on those envies but you have to lick them to close and the seal isn't the best. Sometimes they will opn during storage.

I am interested in come of your seeds.
nicotiana seeds lime Alata
Sylvestris - is this the purple Malva?
Great blue lobelia

I would behappy to send you a self addressed envie or you can check out my list to see if there's anything you want me to send to you.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I never found a source I really liked for the glassine envelopes (look like waxed paper).
Now I use a tiny 1.5" x 1.5" plastic Ziplock for dust-like seeds. For me the re-closeability is more desirable than the non-static nature of glassine.

I've read that the static in a Ziplock can be knocked down by wiping the OUTside with a clothes-dryer anti-static cloth.

ULINE had a great price if you bought a big box, but they were kind of cheesy: serrated edge on the open side, and a little too much glue in one spot, so that you have to open each one carefully, like with a pencil.

Here are some online places, but at some places you have to buy 1,000 and/or pay a lot of shipping:

Clearbags Glassine:
http://www.clearbags.com/stationery/envelopes/translucent-envelopes/glassine-envelopes

ULINE Glassine good prices, so-so quality
http://www.uline.com/BL_5507/Glassine-Bags?keywords=Glassine+Bags

http://www.mysticstampcatalog.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/Vol_5_2010/page/137/highlight/glassine%20envelopes
Herbarium supply: http://www.herbariumsupply.com/nu_listCategoriesAndProducts..."

Corey

Athens, PA

Pam

I too am interested in:

Nicotiana Alata Lime
Nicotiana Sylvestris

Carolyn

i FINE THAT OLD FASHION wax paper will work for tiny seeds so that they won't be like static cling to the plastic baggies . I cut into 2x2 squares prefold them then put the seeds in & fold up then put them into the baggies.

unless you might have like 1-3 TBS of one type of seeds you can put into one baggie &
Hope That everyone will Take what they can use & Share with others & Not take the baggie out .

I Have so so many ZINNIA Seeds & They will be in One Big Baggie for all to take out what they can use .

well off to bed i hope to work on the robins more tomorrow . so good night all
susie

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I think it's a kindess to make up some extra labels when you put in a big bag of something. Then people can take a little seed, take one label, and never get seeds mixed up.

Corey

I think most of us who take a few seeds out of a baggie will just mark our seeds anyway But There will be an ENVELOPE With Robin Info & You may put any extra lable in the envie for others to use, I've got to get my butt in gear Just had no time for all i need to get done for this .

Have a great day all
susie

Thanks for the input, all good suggestions. I will print extra labels, probably use waxed paper if I don't find glassine envies.
Carolyn, Diamond- I'll keep some aside for you... Sylvestris is also called Indian Peace Pipe, big basal leaves and a tall spike topped with a cluster of fragrant white flowers.

Pam

There is going to be many varieties of seeds , I hope to work on dividing the seeds for the robins this week .
& Will get the robins in the mail I Hope by or before the 10th of NOV.
Good Nite all
susie

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Sounds great Susie. I have a couple of types to work on this week that will have enough seeds for everyone that wants them, but I will be ready when the Robin gets here. It is pretty warm now but there is a possibility of frost in the forecast this weekend. We warm back up after that so I am hoping it misses me this time!
Alana

We have had our heavy frost up this way almost everythig is done blooming except my MUMS :)love them .
well daddy had his surgery yesterday & is doing fine now i just hope he can make it through the next surgery Next wedsday
98yrs old doc says daddy is i better shape then himself & should do fine.

well bkf is over time to get him in his chair & get housework done back later today .
susie

Concord, NH

wow god bless him!! prayers are sent

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Minnesippi,

Got one of those big boxes at P.O. & it cost me $20 to mail it out. So just a warning for ya'll

Good Morning to all sorry for the delay btw working on seeds, mailing out boxes, house work duties, daddy , critters, & More I somethimes forget other things so forgive me .

Please for all you newbies to the robin Do Not Stress about RIGHT OR WRONG i the robin when you get the robin you have any questions
just come here & ask or my phone # will be in the robin also .

I will try to post a picture of the robins once they are ready . i'm thinking that with two robins we can use the Med flat rate box that way EVERYONE Pays the same rate & I'm sure everyone can get a box from their local PO with no hassle . if one is needed.

well sorry but lots to do brother just got up so off i go ya all have a great day he is in my fresh made donuts,

susie

Concord, NH

we got 8in of SNOW!!!! uhg

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Good grief!!! Is that your season ender gardenseeder?
We have heavy fog this morning so I think I will miss the frost this time.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

saw the storm that hit the east coast on the news this am. hope everyone is ok !

This was my garden at 5 pm yesterday. I guess my seed collecting is over for this year... but no worries, I have plenty, if not as quite much as I might have liked for a few...

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg

Oops! I don't know why it loaded sideways...here's another view...

Thumbnail by Pfg

i don't get it... it's not like that on this computer, which is not the one I usually use... sorry!

To Cold there for me I Dread our 1 st snow fall Not even ready for it yet . I'm hoping to have the robins in the air by NO LATER THEN Nov 11 th . so anyone that wanted to donate seeds to this robin please send your seeds by this next week Please.

well i have to make a trip into town so you all have a great day
susie

How weird-- the pictures I posted look sideways, but when you click to enlarge them they mysteriously right themselves...

I found a great source for glassine envelopes... $6 for 100, $2.95 to ship. If you spend over $10 and up to $100, shipping is only a dollar more, $3.95. Not the cheapest for envelopes, but the shipping is by far the least expensive. I ordered 2 packages... Of course, I had to get a couple of packets of seeds too...

Pam

Oops- forgot the link to Diane's Seeds:

http://www.dianeseeds.com/glassine-seed-envelopes.html

Pam

i have some that i was going to share i the robin for anyone who needs . anyone have any of these ??//

Digitalis parviflora
'Milk Chocolate'

Cluster-Flowering Foxglove
(Digitalis floribunda)

Grecian Foxglove
(Digitalis laevigata)

or any LUPINES red white blues yellow ,

just sitting here with daddy Jim had bowling tonight so was going through a few of the seed sites to make me up a wish list ; for next year :

also Mechelle explain to me againn what I Need to do for game # 1 that everyone likes just sed dmail if you get time .
ok off to check a few more sites .

susie

Athens, PA

Susie

I am interested in both types of digitalis and yellow lupines....

I have to go through my seeds to see what I have.....

Concord, NH

we have never had so much snow so early,my seasons done : [

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.