Grass bed

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I've never been to this forum before but I've had thoughts of making a "Grass Bed" somewhere on my farm lawn. Any suggestions on what would make a cool display? I know it would have to be a project for next summer.

If I can find the pic of part of my yard that doesn't have alot of stuff in it, that might give you an idea of what I'd have to work with.

Oops, can't add a photo to an edit. I'll look and see what I can find re: photo.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Looking for a photo...........

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

And another large area.........

I suppose I should add that I'm 4a zone.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2011 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

This is an old picture (2006), but I was trying to do exactly what you are trying to do, and I filled the area with miscanthus of several kinds.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, I am just wanting 1 area, and not a hellish big one either, as I have heard that they can kinda get "out of hand". LOL

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, here is an single grass, Miscanthus sinensis gracillimus. This is 8. You can do fewer. Very reliable, blooms in October.

The area you showed me was very large, which gave me the idea you wanted more.

The getting out of hand thing applies to Florida and California, not my zone 5a and certainly not 4b. These grasses have been in since 1998.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

DonnaMack

Your grasses are beautiful and well placed.

AnnaZ

When I lived in Cleveland, my grasses never got out of hand. I left mine up during the winter for seed head for the birds to eat and they would get down in the center of my grasses for warmth..... Then in mid spring ( or when I saw the first signs of new growth) I would use a hedge trimmer and cut them down.

I love the grasses so much that now that I'm living in central Florida, I'm growning bamboo....

Jan

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just love them. Here are bigger ones. These are two grasses, miscanthus sinensis Silberfeder and Miscanthus sinensis Bluttenwunder. They give our yard wonderful privacy.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And the plumes of Bluttenwunder are wonderful!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Anna, I love, love, love the ornamental grasses. But keep in mind some of those get huge, like the Miscanthus, and you have to cut them down in the spring. I use a hedge trimmer and a very strong teenager. Just something to keep in mind, not trying to discourage you from getting them, as I really love them and have quite a few, but it's my hardest spring chore.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I use duct tape and a trimmer. I actually do it myself., and I'm no spring chicken. The ones with a large circumference (Bluttenwunder and silberfeder at 60 inches across) are far more of a challenge than gracillimus (30 inches across).

And there are shorter, beautiful choices like calamagrostis and chasmanthium latifolium. Here they are in late October.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I am just rather undecided as to WHERE I would put one so it wouldn't be "annoying"...........LOL

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a lovely problem - having enough space so that your problem is exactly WHERE to put it - sigh...

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I have about 15 different varieties of grasses in this bed. Pic taken in June 2010.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Very pretty! What do you use to cut the grasses down?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I used a chainsaw this past March but the chain kept getting tangled in the stalks and fell off. I just bought a new weedeater this summer with a brush cutting blade attachment. It should be perfect for this. I think I'm going to cut them down this year after the first hard freeze. They make such a mess by the time spring rolls around.

Doug

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Anna, I love ornamental grasses. They are so showy! I prefer the variegated ones myself. Along my driveway, I have rows of tall Zebra grass and guests frequently ooh and ahh over it. Over time, it does get massive and dividing is a royal pain. I bent two steel Fiskars unbreakable shovels by digging/prying up the original clump that I divided to line the driveway. Just digging into it to cut out a section couldn't be done. The whole clump had to be dug up and then I used a sawzall to cut it into sections. But it's just gorgeous.

I also have the miniature Zebra grass, which gets about 3 ft tall and is easy to divide. It's quite manageable and very showy.

DonnaMack, I love your gardens!!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Doug, please let us know how that works out, the brush cutting blade. I've been using a hedge trimmer, which works really good on most of them, but some are just too much for it. I think I have way too many, it gets daunting each spring.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have decided where I am going to put my grass bed (with my Spousal Units blessing). I will post a pic soon.....need to get them off the camera. And it is a BIG area. LOL. One he will not have to weed-eat anymore, hence his go-ahead.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Here is the area.........I didn't measure it but stepped it off. It is triangular in shape, the long side being over 30 feet and the end part about 20.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

And the last view.

You think I have some possibilities as to a cool grass bed??

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutely! It's not going to block anything you need to see though, is it? Cars coming, or whatever?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have miscanthus sinensis Strictus (left). It takes a long time to mature, but it is very upright and it rocks!

Watch out for Silberfeder. Very popular, but it flops (beautifully, however!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's a sensational grass.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

No, this is not along the road. It is just driveway areas where the Spousal Unit drives machinery.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It will look really good in there, then.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Spousal unit? LOL!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Hencefore referred to as the SU. :>)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

2nding Spousal unit? LOL! ROFLOL

Jan

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I prefer it to DH..........because sometimes he is not D. SU takes care of all attitudes.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've seen people use the D in DH to mean another word that starts with D and isn't nearly as nice...so DH can take care of other attitudes as well! LOL

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

:>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.