TEA ROOM # 96

Merino, Australia

How lovely that there have been so many people visiting that I have to move us again. I love seeing all the happy faces popping in for a cuppa and a chat.
I will pop back and put up the sign post then see you all later . We have an early appointment this morning .
See you all when I get back. Happy day.
We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220934/
Jean.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2011 8:24 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Good morning, mates.
Chrissy, here's a Serendipty for you to enjoy....
Also got some longear pictures when I get them loaded.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Brisbane, Australia

A new tea room. I love those liliums, Jean. Wish I had soil here so I could grow some and other bulbs, which I love.

A first time flowerer for me, epiphyllum NOID no. 1, open this morning. Am looking forward to seeing the many buds on this plant put on a show, but I suppose they will only open one at a time. Oh well, the joy lasts longer that way.

Have a lovely day.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Such lovely shots of color, Jean, Charleen and Karen! Soon I'll be checking out my brugs and epi's in Florida. With my iPad, I'll be able to keep in touch on our trip south this time.

Take care, everyone!
Louise

Clifton Springs, Australia

Morning all,
Thanks Elaine, it was a great day. 99,500 fans saw a great game at the MCG.....
We went to see the players the next day and everyone had a great time.

Meat Loaf was the entertainment at the game but he was so bad that he was lucky not to be booed off.
What a shame, once such a great performer.....

Louise, that Bottle Gentian has taken all our fancies......thanks for checking if we can bring seeds in, Chrissy...because I would have...
The nearest flower that's similar, I think would be the Monkshood, but it's a taller grower...not that mounded look.
Have a safe trip home.

Colleen the boys must have had a great time by the sounds of it....lovely to hear all of their stories.

Yes Jean, it has been lovely weather since Sunday, tomorrow might be different.
Lovely pics Karen and Charleen.

My lovely little Blue wrens are everywhere at the moment....they have such a distinctive high pitched chirrup...one of them is trying to get into Ray's ute, it can see an insect in there.

Have a nice day all.
Here is a Monkshood flower.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Dianne. That Monkshead flower is a lovely shade of blue.

I'd love to see your little blue wrens. I've not seen blue ones. I love the song of the wrens.

Hi everyone ...running late this morning ...back after

Loise here is our dear little Blue Wren scroll down in this link. I love them and they love my Boges to nest in.

http://south-gippsland.com/birds.htm
Enjoy whats left of the morning everyone.

Louise, they are the most delightful little birds....
Everywhere I have lived since coming to this area, they have been there....so when we moved to this new estate, where the trees were very small and the gardens almost non existent...I thought that it would be years before they came.....silly me.....I had no idea that they considered Pittosporums, which are in 5 out of 10 gardens around here, the ideal home......people use them as hedges because when they are pruned they are very dense....

Last Spring the first family moved in and had 3 nestings, this year
they are everywhere.....it's funny because they eat and bathe in our garden and nest in all the Pittosporum hedges up and down the street...
In the mornings and afternoons they hop around the front lawn and driveway and in and out the plants in the garden...they are tiny like little mice with a fan tail....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

For all of us who love Osteopermums, have a look at this video......they were in Bunnings today and they are lovely.....they sell them in the US too, Louise.....A double Osteospermum...like a Chrysanth with a double centre.....$10 a 6'' pot..
White, light pink and dark pink.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxHg1WdU6yM&NR=1

This video is in dutch but it doesn't need translating....the plants sell themselves...

Here is a picture of my poor starved (they think they are)longears. Somehow the little male donkey wasn't in this picture but I got one of him.
I love the little Blue wrens. We have wrens here too but not as colorful, but oh, they are very chatty.
Good day all my friends, Hope you had a good nights rest.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Good Morning to you all.
I am hoping that one of you may recognize this Brugmansia/Datura. I have had it for a number of years and this is the first time it has bloomed. It is variegated, about 4 ft tall and has never gotten any taller. The blooms are white with a green throat and the bloom is split into petals rather than a solid trumpet. It is container grown and spent it's first winter outside this past year. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

The bloom

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

The back of the bloom

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Good morning or afternoon (depending on where you happen to be setting your feet down this moment).

Chrissy - thank you for that great resource on some of your pretty birds. Your little blue wren is very colorful, and I know I'd fall head over heels with him right away! I was also happy to see what the other birds looked like, as I have heard you all mention the others as well.

Charleen - love the shot of your clearly underfed longears! So cute! :)

Dianne - I am a big fan of the osteospermums - especially the white with the deep blue center. I plant them here and in Florida every year. I enjoyed the link because I didn't realize there were so many different colors. Mine never photograph as striking as their colors really are.

Moon - I'm guessing it's a datura? I'm no expert, however, so I'll be interested to see what the rest of you think.

Jean - did you stub your toe on the way to the Tea Room this morning, or are you out rescuing orphans?

It's sunny and pretty here today with a freeze coming tonight. Hope you are all cozy and warm!
Louise

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
Sort of misty here this morning after a nice day yesterday which slowly slid into overcast last night.

Moon, that is a lovely plant . Put it on the brug forums here or at BGI and someone will ID it for you. ✲ ❈
I love variegated plants and the flower on your reminds me of one I am sure I saw a pic of somewhere.
Let us know if you find out.

Louise , what are you doing at that time of day. ...Its way too early for me. ..lol ★☆
Hope you dont get too cold there, but after all the heat, I suppose some cold is a change.
The forecast here is for a hot and sometimes violent summer. Not looking forward to anything like that . Just some warm is all I want.

Hello Charleen. Dont the longears look terribly thin and starving ?? . You are a cruel mumma. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
.I will have to send a large parcel of cookies over so they can have a treat.

Hello Dianne, , you have just added to my wish list. I must look for those plants when I go shopping. ✣ ✤ ✥
I love daisies of all sorts and have lots of different ones around. They do lift a garden with their happy faces.

Hello to everyone else popping in for a cuppa. ♪ ♩ ♫
Chrissy, Anthony, Karen, Teresa, Elaine and Colleen.

I will running around with my hedge clippers alter if this mist goes away. I need to clear the paths again.
I sprayed a few weeds yesterday that thought they had escaped the last spraying.
There are two very large marshmallow plants that I need to pull out too. They were hiding in the nasturtium jungle. but I found them.

Have a great day and stay safe everyone .
Heres your treat for morning tea. Black Forest Cake. ❉❥ ❉❥
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
western sydney nsw, Australia

Its a over cast day with a mistey rain here in fact its beautiful to sit and enjoy the morning only reason I 'm inside is I forgot to plug in the out side phone .
It seems we all have bird families we love living in our yards yesterday when I had the palms cleaned I would not have one done because there are about 4 Dove families nesting there and Minor s ,the Doves go in at the top and the other side the Minor go in much lower
The flying foxes still have other palms around to feast on as I'm the only one thate thate cleans the seed off and a large Plumtree in the yard behind me . So I dont think I am cutting of any food they like or need.My son has just arrived so must go --------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

moon that looks like Brugmansia- Star Dancer- though I have never heard of it being variegated. Wow. It could be a Star Dancer seedling. That is most unusual, if the rest of the blooms remain that way then you have something very rare.I hope you do and thankyou for letting us peek.
❤❤ ¸Good Morning **♥•*..*•¸❤ ¸ Everyone !

Loise yes we have some wonderful feathered friends here and you would fall in love with some of them.
Here is a kookaburra laughing for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZbykXlg6Q
They laugh harder when it is about to rain.

Lol at those skinny long ears Charleen, awww just look at them.

Those Sailor Boys sure have come a long way from the plain navy blue and white haven't they ?
I wonder if they grow as almost a weed too, probably not, did you buy any ?

Colleen, Marlene, Elaine,Teresa, Anthony,Pam,and everyone else ...have a great morning

Lots to do right now so slurping the tea down and I am off ^_^

Oh, I opened that thing you had on Facebook, Chrissy, it bout scared the holy bejesus out of me.
This bird was almost that bad. He is loud isn't it?
Oh, guess what??? Abigail is sitting on some eggs out under one of my planter. I was so surprized. I can't knit them legging either. Poor little peeps.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

hello,everyone-- this is where you decamped to? I saw jean had some liliums,.,..,what a lovely sight,.,. i have a 'brand new' seedling ,opening down near the garage[[exciting]]---i also have 'blackbirds',digging and making a mess,,.,. that sooty wont catch,.,.i have the blue wrens , fantans and silver eyes here, who come up very close to have a chat also a wild lemon canary[ who eats the excess washed out galah seed],.,.nearly friday!!!!!!-anthony

According to the response I got, it is a standard Brugmansia suaveolens with what they call a shredded flower (some sort of mutation) There are pics on the web of "shredded" flower Brugs, but they are all doubles, and only one variegated

The blooms on mine do not look like these....mine is single

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53466/

And in this link the variegation is yellow and a double flower...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg0418342911052.html

When I looked at the plant this morning she has 8 blooms. 5 shredded, 3 with only half the trumpet shredded.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

A close up of the half shredded bloom

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

They look like the hail has hit them, don't they Moon.
My Flame is blooming but it sure doesn't look like a flame to me. But I love my Double Peach, Wish you all could smell them , so heavenly.

My husband calls them Popcorn flower brugs.....grin I guess they will just be a sweet little garden mystery/mutant.

moon I think you have a very unique brug there ...and I think I would be thrilled to have one like that growing for me,
I bought seeds of this Star Dancer and think it looks like yours without the variegation.
http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/5429/
I have had shredded blooms on a single Brug but it looked very different to yours. Still I don't know all your plants over there and regardless I think you have a lovely and quite different plant. ^_^

Sorry I scared you Charleen, if you think that kookaburra is loud ,you should hear them when they hang around mooching food at the footy fields, they are very tame and friendly birds, you would love them in real life.

Anthony those little black birds wreck the mulch and dig out the seedlings while looking for bugs here too, but I tolerate it because they do a pretty good job gobbling up the munchers.

Elaine I love your view ! palm trees are so tropical looking (kind messy to clean up), wish I could grow a few more. It is too exposed here, I only have Washington palms and though I love them they are truly messy.Oh I forgot I do have a lovely old Kentia palm shivering around the back of the house , it's almost 30 years old and still only about 15ft tall. I won't be able to take it with me when I go so that will hurt. Oh well. I hope you enjoy some time outside today.

Jean I don't have any more wish lists, my Brugs are enough for now, I think I have grown so many things over the years that I am well satisfied. Knowing we will be moving in a couple of years makes a difference too, who knows what that will bring to my life, hopefully there will be some mature things growing in my future garden because I can't plan to wait 30 years for things to mature any longer lol.

Well I had better get on with things, I am the nurse today as they are short staffed because of the school holidays I think, so lots to do,
Have a lovely day everyone, I hope you all get some precious gardening time.
Priceless isn't it. ^_^

Chrissy, it doesn't take much to scare me. I liked that nosey little fella. Our neighbor has a noiusy cockateil, he is always making noise. I hear him when I'm out in the yard.
I wish you all could visit and smell those brugs. Wonderful scent. I have to download a pic for you. I want to see if Flame has gotten any darker. Beautiful bloom but a pale color to be name Flame. The double Peach is gorgeous tho.

This morning is much the same as yesterday but storms expected late in the afternoon a wet weekend for here .
Most of the palms are Queen palms yesterdays pic. was taken from down the back where I sit each morning frm 6 watching the new day light up and have morning coffee .
Hope all have a great week end -------------elaine.

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Its foggy here this morning. Talk about a variety of weather. All I need is snow to round out the list.
Now I dont really want snow. I want a little bit more sun, but from the long range forecast, I may get more than I want in summer.
I did nothing much yesterday as it was a sort of misty day. Enough to make one wet but not enough to water the pots. By late afternoon it was warm.
Hubby is off to Naracoorte today for a meeting so I will just potter around here , checking on all the plants.

Hello Anthony, glad you found us. Yes the liliums at the top of the thread are last years asiatics. This year they are all out in the front cottage garden among the grasses etc.
I have blackbirds here too. Lots of them. I love them around but I just cant get them to sweep the mulch back on the garden when they finish looking for bugs.

We have a family of little flycatchers here that are so very curious and quiet. They come right up to you . They are quite a bit smaller than our other flycatcher, Willy Wagtail.

Moon , I think you have a unique brug there. I wish we could all share it with you.
It does look a bit like Stardancer too ,as Chrissy says. Maybe it is a mutant Stardancer.
You should take cuttings and see if you can propagate more.
I think you should see if you can cross it to a Stardancer plant.
This may be the start of a whole new line.

Charleen, how are those poor starving longears going ?
I like your peach brug. It may darken for you later, but its s till pretty.

Hello Louise. I bet the girls are sensing the imminent excitement of the move now.
Hope you have a safe trip down.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Karen, Elaine and Chrissy.
Hope you are all going well and no more rain for a while.

Here is something tasty to nibble on with your morning cuppa . Blueberry Muffins
Have a great day and enjoy the weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Jean, that Double Peach looks Pretty this afternoon. It is a nice long bloom too. Flame still a paleface, no flame to me. But a nice long bloom.
Those longears are down there in pasture stuffing their little scrawney selfs with hay. Sure isn't much grass but they got their hay....

It's a beauty Charleen !

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Wowzer, Charleen! Is it really that bright? That is something!

Jean - I think they are watching the suitcases carefully. Carli seems a bit more cautious than normal. I spent the morning organizing all of their stuff. LOL. My suitcase is one third full of their stuff for the nights in a motel: toys to keep them busy and quiet, a sheet to cover their crate for sleeping, and a few other necessities. It's embarrassing how much it reminds me of traveling with an infant!! I forgot to mention that they also have their own little bag for food and dishes and bottled water. Oyi. at least they are well-behaved and sweet as pie LOL.

Hello, Elaine! We have Queen Palms at our Florida house. I think the tall palms are elegant, at least until they fall during the hurricanes.

Merino, Australia

Beautiful Charleen, I love the oranges & golds in flowers.

Louise, hugs for the girls, I am sure they will behave like genteel southern belles.
Show us a pic of them when you are settled in.
Jean.

Elaine your Palms look lovely after a tidy up...They do that on the Geelong foreshore, I never thought about a private garden....it's a great idea, how often do you have to get it done?

That double peach is lovely Charleen......

Louise it's amazing how we cater for these little dogs isn't it.....Matilda is our first small dog and the difference is amazing....Like your 2 she has her toys and treats and brushes & combs...when she travels with us she sits in her own seatbelt on her cushion so she can see out of the window.
Her "hairdresser" Barry, comes every 6 weeks to do her nails and cut her fringe...she wears her fur long.
She really is a substitute child and just as expensive, but a lot of love and fun comes with her and I know yours are the same.

Jean/Moon, I would guard your wonderful Brug, Chrissy will probably on the next plane over to you.....Star Dancer is just about top of her wish list, but you don't hear of anyone growing them....
I wouldn't call that pretty thing shredded...if you look at this ABADS brug link you will see that they call them petals not shredded...have a scroll down the page.....http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm
It hasn't highlighted so you might need to cut and paste...

Have a great weekend everyone..

This message was edited Oct 7, 2011 7:00 PM

moon the variegated brugs come from suaveolen sports from what I understand, so it is possible that it is a sport or a cross, perhaps that what Star Dancer is too, anyway it's rare so treasure it, yes you are lucky we are way over the pond or I would be knocking on the door :)
Yes it's Friday night again already ...whew that went fast !
Anyone have weekend plans ?

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend, I will be missing in action, lots happening here, visitors etc.
My granddaughter has just got a job after her year away, we were worried it would be difficult, she held a very well paid position prior to going away to Germany so we will celebrate her new position. My grandson is twenty tomorrow (still in uni getting his degrees).
We have another Grandson in England, maybe can get back in time ...(been playing against England -footy under 18's) so it's big ... (gosh it's our anniversary too) not telling you how many but it's over 40 years. Like I said lots happening.

**♥•*..*•¸❤ ¸**♥•*..*•¸❤ ¸**♥•*..*•¸❤ ¸**♥•*..*•¸❤ ¸**♥•*..*•¸❤ ¸**♥•*..*•¸❤ ¸

This is the second time this year I wait till they all have the seed branch it is a bit expensLouise ive to have done $ 250 but I use a company so no saftey problums to worry about better than every day racking and picking up hundreds of seeds for the next couple of months.the gums are starting to drop so they will keep me busy .

Happy to say it was expected storms but all I got was a nice light shower seems it is going to be sunshine the weekend here about time we had a good weekend .

Louise have a safe trip .---------------------elaine.

barmera, Australia

Good evening everyone. Sorry I've been AWOL but have been quite busy with the boys and my sister has been up from Adelaide. She will be going home tomorrow so things will get back to normal again. Great to see everyone popping in and I'm glad that there was still some milk to go in my cuppa tonight. I'll be back in the morning. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Good day to you all. I am tickled at the thought that this brug may be a sport. Chrissy....the door is open...come on in...would be lovely to see you and anyone else who wants to jump on the carpet.....Road Trip! GRIN

Beautiful blooms Charleen and Colleen....Purple and Gold would send football fans here over the top. South Louisiana is LSU (La State University) territory. They are currently the #1 college team in the nation (subject to change each week)

Congrats to you and your Hubby Chrissy. 40+ years is becoming a rarity these days. My DH and I will celebrate our 40th this coming February. Good on your Grandchildren...good reasons to be proud.

I love the Kookaburras, but Magpies are my favorites. I love the 2 tone whistles and could watch their antics all day. My daughter said after I left her place in Brisbane last year she had magpies showing up every morning for a few weeks looking for their morning snack.

Colleen, I think of you often with the boys. Our grandson came to live with us when he was 20 months old, just two weeks after our youngest left home. He will be graduating from High School in May. As Jerry Garcia said" What a long strange trip it's been" but no regrets. He is turning into a fine young man to his credit.

I am going to watch this brug carefully...I do not want to jump the gun until I am sure this first flush of blooms is not a fluke.I think I am going to have a good bit of researching before I get my hopes up.

Hope you all have a lovely warm weekend.
Moon

This cheeky fellow followed the grandsons and I from the house to the park to share in our picnic.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

A quick good morning ...just had to pop in for a minute ...6'48 here Sat morning moon ...I love that you know our birds and yes the Maggies are real Characters!

Have a lovely day everyone !!!!
☮ˆ◡ˆ ღ ☼ ☮ˆ◡ˆ ღ ☼ ♥ ♥ ♥

I have had a 45 year love affair with Australia, Chrissy. My closest childhood friend moved to Lakes Entrance when we were 15 and we were in close contact for a few years...pictures and letters...until we both finished High School and drifted apart. As I mentioned before, my daughter married a man from Cairns and has lived in Au since 2004, first in Sydney, then in Brisbane. It is important for me to be able to answer my 2 young grandsons' questions about the various plants and animals we encounter on our visits.

Sounds like the weather is certainly lending itself to Spring.

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Misty here this morning. It is getting to be a surprise every morning to see what the weather is outside.
We had some thunder & a bit of lightning yesterday with a couple of heavy showers around 3pm. Hubby arrived back in the middle of one shower and said it had been fine all the way over & back to Narracoorte.
He saw a brolga on the roadside in SA. We dont see them here but going over to SA, they can be seen in the large wet areas along with the black swans.

Moon, I love the maggies warbling too but while you were here, did you ever see or hear the grey butcher bird ? Their song is even better.
We do see the odd kookaburra here but not as many as in more wooded areas.
I notice lately that the larger and more territorial honeyeaters ( wattlebirds) have diminished in numbers giving the pretty little New Holland Honeyeaters a respite from being chased everywhere.

Hello Louise, safe trip and good weather .

Hello Chrissy, congratulations on your anniversary. Enjoy all the celebrations and take it easy.

Hello Colleen , Dianne , Elaine , Anthony and Teresa.
I hope you all enjoy the weekend.
I am sure someone is removing days from the week.
Weekends seem to be coming around much quicker , or is that just me getting older. lol.

Better find something nice in the kitchen for you all.
Try this lovely Fruit Cake. Warm with butter yumm
I think I will sit and read today as nothing can be done outside in the rain.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Good Morning Jean. Yes, I did get to hear the Butcher bird's song. As a matter of fact, a neighbor of my daughter's was attacked by one. They seem to be very hostile about their perceived territory...fortunately the neighbor did not incur must damage from the attack...but it did explain why so many folks on bicycles had protrusions from their helmets.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.